I found a good deal on rear KYB Struts. FYI 84-87 by FieroMontreal
Started on: 01-14-2015 09:50 AM
Replies: 25 (734 views)
Last post by: sicktoys on 01-24-2015 01:42 PM
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just thought I`d share this deal I came up on.

A few days ago I ordered the rear KYB stuts on Amazon for $28.86 each, The total came to $57.72 for both including free shipping.

I waited until they arrived to post because the picture they have on the add looks wrong but I did indeed get the correct parts for the rear of the Fiero 84-87.

This is the best deal I could find for the KYB`s, pretty much like getting a 2 for 1.

http://www.amazon.com/KYB-2...&keywords=kyb+234005

------------------

AKA. FieroAlex

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They'll also fit the '88's too.
FieroMontreal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

I didn`t know that, makes it a good deal for everyone then.
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That IS a good deal.

+ to you for taking the time to share with the rest of the forum.

Thank you sir.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just ordered up 2 sets for future use. Can't beat that price at all..
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What color are they?
FieroMontreal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

What color are they?

BLACK
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are the effects on the ride if you have Monroe Sensa-tracs on the front and the KYB struts on the rear?
AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
same seller has matching KYB 343127 Excel-G fronts for 88's for $16.37 each
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

What are the effects on the ride if you have Monroe Sensa-tracs on the front and the KYB struts on the rear?

Perhaps just the opposite of the effects I've experienced.

Originally posted by Patrick in This thread:

I used Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks and struts in my lowered and stiffened (cut springs) '84 for daily driving and autocross for four years. Love the way that car feels.

I now daily drive and autocross an '88 Formula. When I first got the car a year ago, I put new Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks and struts in it with the stock springs. Car felt okay, but I didn't like the soft stock springs. A friend gave me a set of four '88 lowering springs along with near new KYB shocks and struts. Since I now had shocks and struts made by both companies in my hands (literally), I compared them. I wanted to use the stiffest ones, the ones with the most resistance to both compression and rebound. You might be surprised at what I found.

The KYB shocks were stiffer than the Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks. No surprise there.

However... the Monroe Sensa-Trac struts were stiffer than the KYB struts.

So I now have KYB shocks on the front of the Formula, and Monroe Sensa-Trac struts on the back.

The Formula feels pretty good, but I'm still not satisfied with the lack of stiffness in the front. I'll be removing the '88 front lowering springs and replacing them with a pair of cut '84-'87 front springs. I'll continue to use my current choice of shocks and struts (and rear lowering springs).

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which Shock is better for 350 lb/in springs? Excel-G (black) or Gas-a-just (white)?
Also which is stiffer?

Thank you,
Chris
PFF
System Bot
FieroMontreal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris_86GT:

Which Shock is better for 350 lb/in springs? Excel-G (black) or Gas-a-just (white)?
Also which is stiffer?

Thank you,
Chris

AFAIK The gas adjust are for the front and the EXCEL-G are for the rear. I dont think they make the gas adjust for the rear and vice versa.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is just the mount different in 88?
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMontreal:

AFAIK The gas adjust are for the front and the EXCEL-G are for the rear. I dont think they make the gas adjust for the rear and vice versa.

I have Gas-a-just (white) in front and (silver) in the rear, I don’t know if they are different type from the fronts but I believe that are matching pair from KYB.
I have a problem with the front. If I hit a bump at speeds around 60 miles the front moves a little (left or right) maybe the front shocks are getting bad. I had alignment recently but didn’t fix it...
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn it, too bad its $80 to ship to canada

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD(2002), Gen V, 3.3 pulley, SD headers

FieroMontreal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweeder:

Damn it, too bad its $80 to ship to canada

You dont have a us po box you can ship to
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do but it's up in hyder, which is about 4 hrs away, one way

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweeder:

I do but it's up in hyder, which is about 4 hrs away, one way

I suspect a lot of our American friends think all Canadians live in a thin strip just north of the 49th parallel.

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
Is just the mount different in 88?

Yes... the upper strut mount is different on the '88 but that's not part of the strut itself. Struts that had valving specific to the '88's softer springs haven't been available for many years but the '84-'87 struts work just fine. Some people (including myself) have found that to get the full range of camber adjustment on an '88 with '84-'87 struts that a small amount of metal has to be ground off the top knuckle:

FieroMontreal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I suspect a lot of our American friends think all Canadians live in a thin strip just north of the 49th parallel.

I actually live in Canada and use a PO box in Buffalo. I just make my trips to the PO BOX worth the detour with a bunch of different orders at the same time. 4 Hours is steep but back when I was 1.5 hours away I made sure to have 3-4 orders at a time. Now I'm only minutes away so I can go there for 1 box
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I actually live in Canada and use a PO box in Buffalo...

I was wondering why someone who lists where they reside as Buffalo, NY would call themselves FieroMontreal.

...back when I was 1.5 hours away I made sure to have 3-4 orders at a time.

I do the same thing, but I'm in Vancouver which is a heck of a lot closer to the 49th parallel... than Kitimat is to Alaska.
PFF
System Bot
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the summer months my parents run a campground bout 1/2 hour from hyder and come home every week or so so I just get them to bring my stuff with them..

------------------

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2015 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes... the upper strut mount is different on the '88 but that's not part of the strut itself. Struts that had valving specific to the '88's softer springs haven't been available for many years but the '84-'87 struts work just fine. Some people (including myself) have found that to get the full range of camber adjustment on an '88 with '84-'87 struts that a small amount of metal has to be ground off the top knuckle:

Thanks
What would you end up with if you did not grind that area?
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks FieroMontreal!!

Just ordered and hit you with a (+) for the heads up...

Can't believe I hadn't done that already... Us class of 2001 needs to stick together!

------------------
<---- did you buy Cliff a beer?
......................................................www.northtexasfieroclub.org

a_bartle

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for a_bartleSend a Private Message to a_bartleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads up, I just ordered a set as well!
sicktoys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sicktoysSend a Private Message to sicktoysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That IS a good deal.

+ to you for taking the time to share with the rest of the forum.

Thank you sir.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock