Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any Interest in Having Your Steering Wheel Recovered? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any Interest in Having Your Steering Wheel Recovered? by Irrationable
Started on: 12-19-2014 12:08 AM
Replies: 61 (2297 views)
Last post by: sledcaddie on 12-12-2019 08:45 PM
fcsmls

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fcsmlsSend a Private Message to fcsmlsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did my wheel a couple of years ago -- turned out pretty good. Having done one myself, I think your pricing is a bargain, especially with the messy task of scraping off the brown goo - mine was nasty! My local leather place had some black horse hide that I used -- worked really well. Doing the shift knob is also an easy task after having done the wheel, and really sets it off well. Was impressed with your euro stitch -- looking forward to reading the rest of your tutorial.
IP: Logged
Irrationable

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2014 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took delivered of the bulk leather, and I'm happy to say it's working quite well. I've begun work on a baseball stitch wheel using this leather, and will be doing another euro-style wheel after that. Once these wheels are done, I will begin taking orders.

Hope you all enjoyed the holidays!

------------------
"The Twins"
'87 GT 3.4 pushrod daily driver
'88 GT 3.4 DOHC swap in progress

zefferk

Feedback score:    (69)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zefferkSend a Private Message to zefferkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an early SE wheel with the molded vinyl covering. I am definitely interested in having you cover it with black leather. Could you stitch it with yellow thread? Let me know and I am ready to ship it out to you if you are ready for it!

------------------
My Fiero...

88 Yellow CJB #182 of 1252 formula

onixfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onixfieroSend a Private Message to onixfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in your service but im just looking for factory color. Lets us know when you will be offering that.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zefferk:

I have an early SE wheel with the molded vinyl covering. I am definitely interested in having you cover it with black leather. Could you stitch it with yellow thread? Let me know and I am ready to ship it out to you if you are ready for it!

As I stated on the last page, I haven't had any experience with the early vinyl three-spoke wheels. I'm hoping to get my hands on one to tinker with so I can make a template like I have done with the later GT wheels. You wouldn't happen to know the circumference of the wheel, do you? I'd like to tackle one of these wheels, but I want to make sure I have the process down before I go doing someone else's wheel.

------------------
"The Twins"

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014

Originally posted by onixfiero:

I would be interested in your service but im just looking for factory color. Lets us know when you will be offering that.

Ha, I've been getting a lot of that. I currently have enough black leather to do approximately a dozen wheels. I'd like to offer the grey/tan/beechwood, but do not have the money to go out and buy the leather in bulk. If I can sell a few of the black wheels to recoup my costs and fund the startup, I can branch out and begin to offer more colors.

------------------
"The Twins"

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
For those of you who wish to stick with factory colors, I think I may have a suggestion. Mr Mikes offers leather by the square foot on his website in a variety of colors (the light tan, dark grey, and midnight look particularly close to the factory colors). If the black leather shown doesn't suit you, you could purchase your leather from him and send it in with your wheel to be recovered. This is what I did for my first wheel before I decided to start buying the leather in bulk locally.

You can see all the leather colors that he has available here.

------------------
"The Twins"

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
Just finished a wheel using a baseball-style stitch and the bulk leather. I have to say, I'm very happy with how it came out. I'm going to be doing another euro-stitch wheel to test the new leather and refine my technique before I begin taking orders.

Please don't mind the lovely lady in the background. My madre was nice enough to hold the wheel upright for me while I tied off the last of the stitches (I really need to figure out some kind of jig to hold them still while I work)

------------------
"The Twins"

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks dynamite! Can't wait until you start doing the beechwood ones...and the 4 spoke versions! I have a leather wrapped four spoke in grey that you might be able to unwrap and use for a template. I would like it done in beechwood leather.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would appear that you have perfected the process already! That wheel above looks amazing! The stitching and spacing look amazing!
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have! I pre-punched the holes half a centimeter apart, and half a centimeter from the edge of the leather. This is the same spacing that I used on the back of the euro-style wheel.

------------------
"The Twins"

PFF
System Bot
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2015 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Looks dynamite! Can't wait until you start doing the beechwood ones...and the 4 spoke versions! I have a leather wrapped four spoke in grey that you might be able to unwrap and use for a template. I would like it done in beechwood leather.

I've been hoping to come across a paddle wheel that I could pull the leather off of to make a template out of. I found one in an 88 SE in the local junkyard, but the leather had already been stripped off by the previous owner. I'll be sure to let you guys know when I manage to get my hands on one!

------------------
"The Twins"

Robertzep2

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robertzep2Send a Private Message to Robertzep2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got my GT steering wheel back! I had Alex recover mine using his stock of leather. It turned out exceptional! I recommend PM'ing Alex and discuss having your old, twisted, oozing wheel redone by him. I can't wait for the weather to break and install it. It will be so nice this Summer to not have brown goo all over my hands and clothes while driving.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2015 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time for an update.

Knocked out a few more wheels for forum members as well as a customer referred to me by Mr Mike. I was also able to get ahold of the leather from a 4 spoke wheel and used it to make a template (although I have yet to test it). Still searching for a source for tan/beechwood leather, although I have one for the dark grey. I also made some more progress on the how-to write up, although I haven't quite had the time to finish it (I swear I'll finish it one of these days).

------------------
"The Twins"

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BEAUTIFUL!

Originally posted by Irrationable:

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you! I finally found what appears to be a match for the beechwood leather. The downside is that I found it on ebay, and the seller only had a limited amount left over from a previous project years ago. It should be enough for me to do at least a few wheels though. I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have or can get material for the tan interior on a 86 GT
Snapperhead

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice work! Ok I have a custom request, I was going to recover it myself but the time thing is in the way.

1. Two Tone, In Black leather & Dark Gray Suede.
2. Rim Covering Only, Just around the wheel no spoke covering. ( I have custom pods that cover the spoke area front and back that hold electronic buttons)
3. Thicker Padding, I would like it a little on the thicker side if you can do it.

My wheel is already stripped and cleaned of all the yuck! Minor wipe down and ready.

Shoot me an idea of a cost and time frame.

Thanks,

Vince

------------------
Snapperhead Performance - Custom Hot Rods & Accessories
Stainless & Acrylic Deck Lid, Hood, Trunk & Door Sill Plate Mirrors - Vette Brake Swap Consentric Rings - Powder Coating Service - Hidden Trailer Hitch - PnP Trailer Hitch Wiring Harness - LED Reverse Lights

Threads:
Used Fiero Parts - Custom LED Back Up Lights - Hidden Trailer Hitch - Mirror Panels - Door Sill Mirrors - Vette Brake Swap Consentric Rings
Rides:
86 Fiero GT, Blue, V8 " Snapperhead" 2013 Fierorama Best of Show Non-Stock, , 88 Formula White stock soon to be 4.9 met Blue like Snapperhead--- 10 Camaro, 99 K2500 Suburban, 04 Trailblazer

Snapperhead

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Snapperhead

1982 posts
Member since Jul 2006
If your interested I may have a spare wheel or two up in the barn I can donate to you so you can cover and sell or do an exchange program.

May be easier for you to provide the service on an exchange.

just my 2 cents

Vince
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Snapperhead:

If your interested I may have a spare wheel or two up in the barn I can donate to you so you can cover and sell or do an exchange program.

May be easier for you to provide the service on an exchange.

just my 2 cents

Vince

That would definitely speed up my turn around time. You've got a PM
Monstertone

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2019 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonstertoneSend a Private Message to MonstertoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I realize this is an old thread but, can you do anything with this badly worn Momo steering wheel? It is only the top section that the yellow is worn thru. It is not leather covered, but molded rubber of some kind. I think I may be able to get yellow leather to match the seats.
P.S. The first picture is what it used to look like.

The second picture is how it looks now.

Momo has discontinued this style/color, otherwise I could just buy a new steering wheel to match & be done with it.

[This message has been edited by Monstertone (edited 12-07-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2019 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The last I read, about a year ago, Alex has "retired" from the steering wheel re-covering business. If someone knows differently, let me know. He did great work on a steering wheel of mine.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock