Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Some of you have seen this car. New project. (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Some of you have seen this car. New project. by Raydar
Started on: 12-07-2014 07:01 PM
Replies: 51 (1965 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 03-15-2015 05:49 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:
...now they just supply vacuum information via sensor for computer. The injectors are all on rails running in between the intake ports down the center.

Not spraying anything.

Okay. Vacuum signal. Perfect. Just like the "rail" looking thing on mine.

And I didn't think you were spraying. I haven't heard of you breaking any trannies or axles lately.
IP: Logged
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's... ALIVE!

Today is the first chance I've had to do anything with it, with the holidays and stuff.
"No fuel" was caused by a kinked fuel hose between the tank and the hard line. Works for me. I really didn't want to drop the tank.

Next is to repair or replace the header. It's the Tri-Y version, and one of the down tubes is badly cracked where it makes the 90 degree turn. The other down tube is starting to crack in the same place.
I really think it might have a misfire, too, but it's hard to tell anything with the "holy header". Sounds like an airplane.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2015 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that's a lucky break. You are going to be cruising in no time. I bet you can almost feel the wind in your hair.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2015 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A quick question...
I've been reading about different SD heads. The 801, the 437, etc. Is that simply the last three digits of the casting number?
I've tried searching (here and elsewhere) and have seen these heads mentioned, but I don't know anything about them, other than that some are better than others.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2015 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

WOW ! congradulations - NICE car. The first thing I'd do is upgrade the headlights to Gen. 2 then swap the gas tank to the bigger one.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2015 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

WOW ! congradulations - NICE car. The first thing I'd do is upgrade the headlights to Gen. 2 then swap the gas tank to the bigger one.

Thanks! I'd considered the headlight system upgrade, but since the car only has ~20K on the clock, it may not need it any time soon.
The gas tank replacement is a thought, but it's a PITA to remove with all of that bracing under there.

First I've got to get it running reliably.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bumpity.

I have decided that I probably will sell this car.
I'm still in the process of fixing everything that needs fixing. I'd like it to be right, for my own satisfaction if nothing else.

It runs and drives now. Goes like a bat out of hell.
I had to replace the clutch hydraulics and bleed the brakes. Not a huge deal, really.

I still have to get the header rebuilt or replaced. It's cracked (and ghetto patched) in a bunch of places. Don't want to drive it that way. Aside from the fire hazard, it's loud as hell. (My exhaust guy told me to call him in a week and a half. That's what I'm going to do, unless a replacement header falls into my lap.)
The carbs need to be adjusted or at least seafoamed. Maybe rebuilt. No biggie.
Needs the tranny oil changed. Grinds third just a bit.
And it needs to be cleaned up and detailed. That's about it.

I figure there are several options...
1. I can fix everything that needs fixing, and sell it as a complete runner.
2. I can sell it like it is, dust and all, at a substantial savings. (The custom made header is going to be a chunk.)
3. I can remove the engine and tranny, and sell it as a roller. This is really what I would prefer to do.
As I mentioned, I bought this to help out a friend who needed the funds. I don't really care anything about having a droptop, OR the earlier chassis. Everything I have is "88", including all my skill sets AND my spare parts collection. I would, OTOH, like to have the SD4 to play with.
4. I can remove the engine and tranny and swap the car, as a roller, for an 88 roller.
The 88 would have to be very nice, however. This is an Automoda. It has less than 20K on the odo. It looks like a 20K car. The interior is very nice. It has carpet and/or leather just about everywhere.
I will not even consider parting it out. It's way too nice for that.

Edit - And if I don't sell it, I'll keep it and enjoy it. Maybe make some minor changes.
2nd edit - I had thought about swapping in a different engine. This car needs to be a cruiser. Not a pavement ripper. But I have no idea what to swap in. My 1st thought is a 4.9, but that puts it back into yet a different category of pavement ripper.

Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-13-2015).]

jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
4.9 is a nice engine for cruising. Lots of low end smooth cadillac tq and a nice V8 exhaust note...
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3.4 V6 would be a good motor for it IMO.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would love that as a rolling chasis. Too bad my wife would probably kill me, lol. What kind of $$ would you want for it in roller form?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
James... PM sent.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock