Pontiac Fiero GTP or PPG by locatethegtps
Started on: 11-05-2014 10:12 PM
Replies: 14 (677 views)
Last post by: locatethegtps on 11-08-2014 09:49 PM
locatethegtps

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for locatethegtpsSend a Private Message to locatethegtpsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone im just very interested on learning all the information if anyone knows as to why 3 of the 6 were crushed and all info and stats about the cars, very interested in knowing about them. Thank everyone!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! I'll let the others answer your questions on the PPG cars, though.
locatethegtps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for locatethegtpsSend a Private Message to locatethegtpsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey! Thanks!! Also possibly looking to purchase a fiero in new york! Thanks!
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/083664.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/050854.html

Your best bet for information is to head to the Heartland Show in Davenport IA in August, see a few of the cars and talk with Fred.

Welcome to PFF by the way.
locatethegtps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for locatethegtpsSend a Private Message to locatethegtpsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha thank you!! If only i had the money to go out there
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To give you the long and the short of it cars like these are not legal for the road and GM/PPG do not want the liability of anything going wrong with the modifications. These are not unlike any other show cars and prototypes.

We were lucky 3 were saved buy donation to the GM collection and the two schools.

You have to remember that automakers can not save everything and for the most parts not all but many show cars are not always up to the level of construction and safety so rather pay a major lawsuit they just scrap the Cars. While some may be road worthy and safe to them most are just a used up business project and by the time they are scraped they are already forgotten.

Case in point most of the Motorama cars were destroyed or so GM thought. Many were cut up but the parts were saved and are now restored. Others were hidden by people in the tech center to be found years later when the climate had changed.

GM even at one time had proposed the X and Y jobs from Harley Earl be crushed in the early 70's till they were hidden away till they were saved. Today the X job and Y Job models two of the first automaker show cars are now priceless.

You have to also consider that cars like this matter to only a small part of the population. But today more attention is being paid to them and more are being save now than ever. Often if they are safe to drive they are being sold off with a Vin now or save tot he GM collection.

It is just part of the business. Even Picasso threw away some paintings when he was done with them or did not like them.

Note I have not followed up on the other three cars but who knows they may still be out there as often cars reported crushed are found. I was the one who found the red one and told Fred. They would not sell it for years but he kept on them and saved it. It is possible one of the others could be hid away somewhere waiting to be found. Many cars though lost are with us today just look at the Bortz collection of Motorama cars.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 11-06-2014).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing against anyone in NY, or NY, but you may want to purchase a Fiero from California or Florida. Less rust. Not that you can't find good specimins in NY, but be careful of the rust.
locatethegtps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for locatethegtpsSend a Private Message to locatethegtpsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks man!! Thats amazing that you found the red one!! I really hope that the green one is hiding somewhere and its nit crushed my fav out of the 6. And i wouldnt be able to afford the shipping cost
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree. Unfortunately, the farther north you go, the more likely the car is a native northern car that's been driven on super salty roads for years and is now dying of car cancer. Do your research and shop the south for something in good shape and running order, and take a train. Explain to the seller that you would be traveling and 100% honesty is crucial or you will turn around and go home. If the car is in great shape and running order you can drive it home

There are good honest people out there. I will be traveling a few hours away for an engine for my 85 this weekend. So far the seller has been very straightforward with me on everything, and is willing to negotiate the price because I will be traveling.

The majority of the Fiero community is exactly that. A community. They will most often be very honest with each other and not afraid to look out for one another. Maybe there is a southern member here that would be willing to conduct this type of sale, or maybe even meet you halfway in the trip.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The truth is there are many cars in the north with no rust too but you just need to spend time looking or them and not expect to get them for $1,000.

Case in point here in Ohio there are man Fiero's that have never seen snow or very little. They are driven mostly in the summer and never had rust issues. While not as common or cheap as down south they are out there if you do not get in a hurry.

Anymore when I look at a Fiero for someone. The first thing I do is pull the trunk carper down and if there is rust I walk away. If it is bad there it is going to be in many more spots. Same for the battery tray area. I have had people who thought they were rust free and then I show the owner a hole the size of my fist or larger in the trunk and many are shocked. You just have to know where to look.

We should have a thread for a buyers guide on Fiero cars here so new people know where to look and know in 5 min if they found a good car or not. Life is too short to buy a used up Fiero when there are still good ones out there. It is a lot easier on the pocket to spend more to get a better car upfront vs. fixing it up.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

The truth is there are many cars in the north with no rust too but you just need to spend time looking or them and not expect to get them for $1,000.

Case in point here in Ohio there are man Fiero's that have never seen snow or very little. They are driven mostly in the summer and never had rust issues. While not as common or cheap as down south they are out there if you do not get in a hurry.

Anymore when I look at a Fiero for someone. The first thing I do is pull the trunk carper down and if there is rust I walk away. If it is bad there it is going to be in many more spots. Same for the battery tray area. I have had people who thought they were rust free and then I show the owner a hole the size of my fist or larger in the trunk and many are shocked. You just have to know where to look.

We should have a thread for a buyers guide on Fiero cars here so new people know where to look and know in 5 min if they found a good car or not. Life is too short to buy a used up Fiero when there are still good ones out there. It is a lot easier on the pocket to spend more to get a better car upfront vs. fixing it up.

I'll agree with most of that....but if you look long enough you may even get a great condition one up north for under $1000. I paid $900 for my 88 (in Ottawa, Canada) and it only needed a new fuel pump and fuel filter to get running...it had never been winter driven and was stored for the last 10 years. Only had 60K miles on it. The only rust on the car was the battery tray, which actually seems to be a common problem and actually may not be in indicator of the cars condition. The rest of the car was in fantastic shape. I felt guilty pulling out the Iron Duke and dropping in the 4.9. Oh well. I got over it.
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

I'll agree with most of that....but if you look long enough you may even get a great condition one up north for under $1000. I paid $900 for my 88 (in Ottawa, Canada) and it only needed a new fuel pump and fuel filter to get running...it had never been winter driven and was stored for the last 10 years. Only had 60K miles on it. The only rust on the car was the battery tray, which actually seems to be a common problem and actually may not be in indicator of the cars condition. The rest of the car was in fantastic shape. I felt guilty pulling out the Iron Duke and dropping in the 4.9. Oh well. I got over it.

Yes there is a rare one now and then that pops up but it is getting more and more difficult to find anymore.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

...I have had people who thought they were rust free and then I show the owner a hole the size of my fist or larger in the trunk and many are shocked.

I'm sure they thought that because the body was rust free.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-08-2014).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I'm sure they thought that because the body was rust free.

Naturally.

A Fiero is like a water well. You look in and see the smooth shinny surface and at the bottom is could be solid concrete or it be a messy rocky bottom filled with junk.

Like never judging a book by it's cover never judge a Fiero by the body.

I have seen busted up bodies too where the frame was good because the car came from Californis too.
locatethegtps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for locatethegtpsSend a Private Message to locatethegtpsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha thank you all for the advice!!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock