Fixing up my fiero. by james9937
Started on: 10-11-2014 04:02 PM
Replies: 4 (428 views)
Last post by: johnyrottin on 10-14-2014 09:35 AM
james9937

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2014 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for james9937Send a Private Message to james9937Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1988 Fiero that needs some repairs inside and out.

This isn't my car in the picture but if you look at where the two vents are you can see the plastic is lifted exactly like in my car.
Will gluing it help or weighting it down with some books?

My ignition sticks when starting usually I have to move the steering wheel to get it to unlock but after it unlocks its fine but then I turn it off and it starts all over again.

I think there's something up with the alternator or maybe the battery because when I put the key in it does that dinging noise quietly and then gets louder every now and then.

Fiero Specs:
Engine: 4Cly
Year: 1988
Miles: near 107,000

Anything I can do to fix it or just gotta deal with it?

- James
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2014 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gorilla Glue and clamps for the vinyl on the dash or any other area that has come apart

I think the steering wheel issue is normal. At times you have to release some of the tension from the lock in the column to turn the key

The "blue dingy thingy" is annoying and you can simply unplug it. It it a blue box under the passenger side of the dash. Just lay on the floor and you can see it.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree about the blue dingy thingy. It dings at odd moments, and sometimes louder or softer. I've considered a replacement wiring harness with a different connector & module.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2014 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a link to gluing the center console in my build thread. The same technique and glue used apply for the radio surround as well.

You can hit up harbor Freight for the clamps if you need to get some. Pick up some free paint sticks at your local Home Depot / Lowes. They will hold the piece level / flat when you clamp things till the glue dries.

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2014 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Notice that in the picture there is a small piece of wood on the outside edge...VERY IMPORTANT! I didn't use that on one that I did and I ended up having to get another. The clamps left dents all the way up the side that never came out...even in the sun.

Here is another simple project to do while you have the console completely apart. I hate seeing the rusty metal through the little center vents. I also disliked barely being able to see which gear I was in. This link will take you to how to recondition the orange gear indicator for your automatic, recondition those ashtray doors, and how to clean that rusty metal up behind those vents. Looks fantastic.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-084600.html

Clean and and refresh the brackets:

Reassembly:

And the finished product:

While I was at it I also installed a left ashtray door to replace the duel rights that were in there so they were correct. I also cleaned up and painted the ashtrays so that they were fresh. I hate rust! The ashtray doors were reconditioned as well. Lastly, I cleaned and repainted the shift indicator with a bright new flourescant so you can clearly see which gear you have selected. I found that at some point the center console had been apart (two right hand doors and the indicator not on the stalk) This is the thread I did before on how to:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-084600.html

This one is another easy clean up that I have done in the past. it gets that trunk carpet looking great.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/079713.html

The GBCT had the same problem with the radio sticking out like yours does. That drove me nuts. Behind the radio is a small triangular bracket that needed to come out so the radio could go back deep enough. While you have the console apart it is great time to do that as well.

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Today I disassembled the dash...again. Removed the triangular bracket behind the radio area and reinstalled the radio per FrizzleFraks reccomendation. Fits perfectly now! You can do it with a dremel wheel and cut the bracket away or drill the rivets out and just remove it completely.

Maybe I will keep this radio for a little while. i still prefer the stock look of the Monsoon.

That should keep you busy for a weekend!!!

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 10-14-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock