Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  OEM reproduction floor mats project (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
OEM reproduction floor mats project by Rodney
Started on: 09-20-2014 02:07 PM
Replies: 54 (2907 views)
Last post by: Mike Morris on 06-08-2018 12:03 AM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still working on it. This will still take a long time if I am successful. I'm (hopefully) going to have the carpet reproduced and then have floor mats made. They would be in (more or less) the same color and weave etc as the OEM mats and have the same stitching around the outside. The backs may (most likely will) be different. From the top they should look just like OEM GM mats. I'm going to do the gray first as this will be the largest seller. I'm not sure on the other colors. Depends on the costs of having a run of this carpet custom made and what they want for a minimum order. Once I have the carpet made I can have smaller batches of floor mats cut and sewn out of this roll(s) by a auto car floor mat manufacturer. Getting the carpet custom made by a carpet manufacturer is the challenge.

I'll also have more drivers sides made as many may want an extra drivers side as it is the one that gets the most use. I always hated that most everyone only sells them in pairs.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good idea on the driver's side extras.

I just recently bought mats from TFS, but if you can make a more factory look, with custom lettering and no holes, I may get another set.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine will be reproductions of originals. Nothing custom etc.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope you sell enough to offer them in 88 Beechwood or at least brown/tan
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats great news Rodney.
pcgold

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When and if, 88GT Beechwood.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Outstanding! I'll be keeping an eye out for progress updates.
lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney you mentioned that the backing will be different. Please please please do not use a backing that has cleats (small conical spikes). When floor mats with cleats are used in a car for a long period of time those cleats will permanently deform the carpeting under the mat.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can I be the first to ask for RED?

Red mats are hard enough to find and matching the Indy red is impossible.
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Info I have received so far is a minimum run of custom made carpet to match is enough to make about 2500 pairs of mats.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by jscott1:

This may be an easier one if I can find some existing material instead of having it custom made. Anyone have an old Indy mat I can have for color samples?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000
On option I am looking at that may work and help is that if I have all the colors made at one time on the same machine on one run. Run so much gray them switch over to beechwood then brown etc by changing the thread. That is may be possible and may reduce the min square foot requirements.

They will also probably be 2 piece mats. Carpet and backing then sewn (maybe glued also?) together. This may make having the custom made carpet made easier to have made. I doubt they could reproduce it like OEM with the rubber backing. As long as they look OEM from the top that is my main concern.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am in for a set.

I also still have a roll of gray OEM type carpet that came from the Fiero Store way back when they were selling it for door panel replacement (if you need a sample). But that may also be something to consider supplying as well.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 09-22-2014).]

jc8367

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy to hear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

Please please please do not use a backing that has cleats (small conical spikes). When floor mats with cleats are used in a car for a long period of time those cleats will permanently deform the carpeting under the mat.

I'm not sure but is there any other choice? I cant stand floormats that migrate around the floor all the time, without good sized rubber spikes they will do that. Unless one pins them down somehow.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-22-2014).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Velcro on the back of the mat and something with velcro you can screw into the mat (I have seen this on some OEM installs). Although, I can't say I had an issue with Fiero mats with that little strip of velcro on the back seemed to work for the OEM carpet (well, plus the heavy backing).
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Are the 84 Indy mats all one shade of red and one level or muiti colored reds and shag/loop mix like the later mats etc? I'm guessing on the shag/loop because my mat samples are buried for the moment behind a wall of boxes from my latest shipment of slaves and masters.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some answers. To have the carpet made custom in an exact reproduction of the original I have to order a fairly large batch. This means I may never use it all up. I may over many years utilize enough of the gray as it is such a popular interior color. Also: the carpet manufacturer is not the company that will cut and sew the mats. An automotive car mat manufacturer will do that. I can warehouse the extra carpet rolls and only use a certain amount each time I want a batch of mats made. I'm possibly going to make the 88 Beechwood mats also. I'll have to get more for them as I will probably have a lot of carpet I will never utilize.

What about the carpet on the door panels. Is it the same as the mats?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000
What I can do for the brown and 84 Indy red is send them some samples and see how close they can come to an existing carpet they have on hand and have mats made that are close to OEM.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:
What about the carpet on the door panels. Is it the same as the mats?

Yes.
PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about the floor carpet. Is it the exact same carpet as the mats? If so I could supply all three.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought the mats, doors and carpet was all the same.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project, Super Duty 4 swap

lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What about the floor carpet. Is it the exact same carpet as the mats? If so I could supply all three.

The carpet on the floors, door panels and floormats is all the same, but obviously the backing used on the floormats differs from the carpet on the doors and floor.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

The carpet on the floors, door panels and floormats is all the same, but obviously the backing used on the floormats differs from the carpet on the doors and floor.

To further complicate things, the 88 (go figure) carpet is different. The earlier carpets use jute padding, glued to the backing. The 88 carpets use a thick foam rubber backing, with no jute. (If anyone wants to jump in and comment, please do. Especially if I'm wrong. I've only been into a handful of 88s. They may not all be the same.)
Earlier and later are both molded to fit.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raydar, you stand correct. The 88s had foam integrated to the underside of the carpet.

The older fieros had that "jute" your talking about. My old 87GT had the jute, and the down
part about that is mold gets into them if the floor gets wet over years of use.

There are small parts and improvements / changes that GM did on the 88 fieros. This is one of them.
Ever notice that the battery shield is different, the TPS mounting screws are made out of
steel and are torx, not phillips.

------------------

fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm definitely interested in a number of OEM-style grey floormats for both my cars.

I have an actual NOS OEM set I put in the Formula for car shows but the rest of mine are getting pretty beat up...

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

1988 Fiero Formula - Automoda convertible
repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow
1988 Fiero 4-cyl Coupe - Dad's car, the Indy 'clone'
(soon to be back on the road after a 6 year rest)

[This message has been edited by LZeitgeist (edited 10-08-2014).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are the 84 Indy mats all one shade of red and one level or muiti colored reds and shag/loop mix like the later mats etc? I'm guessing on the shag/loop because my mat samples are buried for the moment behind a wall of boxes from my latest shipment of slaves and masters.

The indy carpet is one shade of red but it is shag/loop like the regular carpets.
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I do this I'm going to do the gray first because it would be the best seller. So I'm looking at having molds made to mold the floor carpets. Also the heal pad will need to be made. I probably will not have a mold made to make an exact reproduction heal pad. I'll just look for an existing mold that is as close to OEM that I can find for the heal pad. I'll need to have some made to match the OEM gray color. I doubt I find any in the exact same color as OEM.

What about the rear firewall piece. What is that made from? Sorry to ask. I have an 88 Mera that has been changed to all black carpet.

For the doors: Can I supply flat pieces or do they need to be molded so they have rounded outer edges?

This will take a long time to finish.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The carpet on the (upper) firewall is not the same at the carpet on the mats, floor and lower doors - it's just a simple tufted light grey piece that is glued to the fiberboard form to have it hold the shape of the little 'shelf' below the rear glass.

The lower part of the firewall is covered by the same carpet that runs under the seats.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney, honestly I think it would be a good idea to copy / replicate the heel pad as close as possible.

If the carpet would be molded and the carpet color matched, why not go the extra distance with the heel
pad??

I've seen 2 suppliers / companies that had a close carpet replacement, but I'm not interested in buying because
the heel pad is not the same, and cheap looking. I'd like a carpet with an OEM stock look. Others too, I'm sure.

------------------

fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Rodney, honestly I think it would be a good idea to copy / replicate the heel pad as close as possible.

If the carpet would be molded and the carpet color matched, why not go the extra distance with the heel
pad??

I've seen 2 suppliers / companies that had a close carpet replacement, but I'm not interested in buying because
the heel pad is not the same, and cheap looking. I'd like a carpet with an OEM stock look. Others too, I'm sure.

I, just speaking for myself, feel like 'close enough is good enough' for the heel pad - it's going to be covered up by the floormats that will be available anyway.

------------------

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

When I get to this point I'll see how close I can get and make a decision. Costs a lot to make a die to make a heel pad. This is a large - costly project. But I'm big on trying to make them as close as possible to OEM so we'll see.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When I get to this point I'll see how close I can get and make a decision. Costs a lot to make a die to make a heel pad. This is a large - costly project. But I'm big on trying to make them as close as possible to OEM so we'll see.

Thanks for all you do for the Fiero community!
FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I, too am in for purchasing a set of these. I mostly want the floor mats and the door panel carpeting, as the majority of my floor carpeting looks fine except for where the driver's feet are (and this will be covered by the floor mat anyway).

This may have been covered somewhere already, but on the door panel carpeting subject- Would the masonite board backing (that the pop-fasteners anchor into and often get chewed up when removing the panels) be integrated in these? Some of my fasteners will no longer stay in the holes, since they have been so badly damaged over the years.

Very much looking forward to these items becoming available!!

------------------
My Fiero: 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, V6, 4-speed manual

CharlieHorse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CharlieHorseSend a Private Message to CharlieHorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be honest. I don't think having them match the stale old carpet is going to matter to me. I see floor mats as expendable, like tires, and I don't think I would judge a Fiero to be inferior if it had a nice, but non factory floor mat. I have some mats that have the Fiero pegasus on them and they're very respectable looking. But why match nasty old carpet... Who has perfect carpet, anyhow? And that leads to....

Now, on the other hand, I'd be much more enthusiastic to see entire carpet kits + floor mat/doors that had the reproduction carpet weave. You'd have to work with one of those companies that already makes them and has a floor pan mold for that, I'm sure. OR, go to the expense of having them sewn to shape. Could get pricey.
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Russ88TTop makes some nice looking floor mats with a rubber/vinyl backing. Perhaps you could supply him with the OEM type carpet and he could make the OEM type floor mats? Just a suggestion that you may or may not want to entertain. I personally have some of Russ's products and he does top notch work. I have also ordered items from you Rodney and was very pleased with the items and your service. Thank you and keep up the great work supporting us Fiero owners!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CharlieHorse:

I'll be honest. I don't think having them match the stale old carpet is going to matter to me. I see floor mats as expendable, like tires, and I don't think I would judge a Fiero to be inferior if it had a nice, but non factory floor mat. I have some mats that have the Fiero pegasus on them and they're very respectable looking. But why match nasty old carpet... Who has perfect carpet, anyhow? And that leads to....

Obviously, I'm one of the people who don't mind too much if something doesn't look "stock and original", as long as it's "nice", or even upgraded.

Having said that, there are some people out there who do care about that, and I think this is probably the group that Rodney is shooting for. Original looking, and not worn, floor mats can make the difference between winning or not winning a competition.

More power to him. Everything he does is "top shelf". I'm sure these will not disappoint, if he can make it happen.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 12-13-2014).]

James_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2015 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates on this Rodney? I'm interested in a set of OEM style gray mats for my Fiero too.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock