Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  V6 fiero motor as a high hp engine ?? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
V6 fiero motor as a high hp engine ?? by Vesquar
Started on: 09-05-2014 10:39 AM
Replies: 47 (990 views)
Last post by: dobey on 09-09-2014 03:50 PM
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-09-2014 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
285 doesnt seem like that much, people put V8s on those?

Yes. And 3800s. And turbo Ecotecs.

Most of the V8Archie LS3/F40 installs have also had the trans cryoed and have the Quaife LSD installed. The torque rating is a bit misleading though. Running it on a dyno and making 800 lb-ft of torque isn't necessarily going to kill it. Stuff starts breaking when there is too much or too little play, or when excessive shock loading happens. Really sticky tires and dumping the clutch is a good way to shred axles and transmissions.
IP: Logged
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-09-2014 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by Vesquar:

That does seem kinda low, I had a Muncie behind a little over 380 ft-lb and I drove the hell outta it trying to see if it would break. Never had one issue sold the car running like new

A Fiero 4 speed? "Muncie" is just the location of a manufacturing plant. Many different transmissions were made at that plant. A 4 speed in a big block Corvette/Chevelle is very different from the 4 speed in a FWD car or the Fiero, and has a very different torque rating, and physics.
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh ok see I was unaware of this, I had an m22 rock crusher. Sorry on my part I thought Muncie was brand name :P learn new things every day
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-09-2014 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh ok see I was unaware of this, I had an m22 rock crusher. Sorry on my part I thought Muncie was brand name :P learn new things every day

Muncie, Indiana is the location of what was the GM Muncie Transmission Plant, and was transferred under the "New Venture Gear" umbrella in 1990. The 4-speeds in the Fiero, the 5 speed Getrag (designed by Getrag and built by GM's Muncie plant) in the Fiero, and many other transmissions have been produced there. There's nothing particularly special about a transmission that was built there versus a Getrag that was built in Germany, such as the F40 was.

The best way to pick a transmission is to compare strength properties of the case, gears, synchros, etc… and the gear ratios themselves. Pick the one that best suits how you will use the car, and if you need to build it up a bit to handle more power, then do so. There were 3 different 4 speed Muncie transmissions used in the Fiero in 1984-86, with different torque ratings and gear ratios.
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright, so I guess I should just go 3800 and decide on tranny after some research, I have a North Star out of a 97 and a 350 with upgraded heads that I bought but I feel like I would just be better off with a v6 since the fiero has more of a 6 cylinder profile to me
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-09-2014 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Alright, so I guess I should just go 3800 and decide on tranny after some research, I have a North Star out of a 97 and a 350 with upgraded heads that I bought but I feel like I would just be better off with a v6 since the fiero has more of a 6 cylinder profile to me

I don't really know what you mean by 6 cylinder profile exactly. A Northstar or LSx V8 looks right at home in a Fiero, just as much as a V6 does. Your car, your choice, but when I eventually get done with my LSx swap, it will look like it came that way from the factory.
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If my memory is correct the north star is the 2 piece engine block right ??
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-09-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not quite sure what you mean, but no, I don't think so. It's a DOHC V8.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock