carburetor setup for 2.8? by Fier-oh41229
Started on: 08-08-2014 12:51 PM
Replies: 11 (766 views)
Last post by: dobey on 08-10-2014 01:02 PM
Fier-oh41229

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fier-oh41229Send a Private Message to Fier-oh41229Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what ive heard the stock fiero intake is very restrictive and theres not much you can do about it. ive seen the truleo and dual throttle body intakes but they're kinda hard to find and pretty expensive. i was wonering if it was possible to get better performance and less restriction with a carb setup? maybe a holley 4bbl? would it be worth it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WTF are you smoking, I want some of that !

A 4 barrel carb on a 2.8 it had better be one tiny 4 barrel. Sorry its late and I should be taking my nap but WTF are you smoking? I want some of that sh!t !

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fier-oh41229:

Would it be worth it?

Probably not. The 2.8L is a fine engine, don't get me wrong. But trying to make the engine put out more HP is a waste of time and money. There was an aftermarket plenum that I had seen that was bigger and supposedly helped with Airflow, but I can not recall where I had seen it. Carburetor's are fine, but you can get better economy and can also increase power accordingly with fuel injection.
Fier-oh41229

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2014 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fier-oh41229Send a Private Message to Fier-oh41229Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

WTF are you smoking, I want some of that !

A 4 barrel carb on a 2.8 it had better be one tiny 4 barrel. Sorry its late and I should be taking my nap but WTF are you smoking? I want some of that sh!t !

Steve

I dont have extensive knowledge on carburetors but cant you get a lower cfm 4bbl carb? like one closer to what the engine shoud be flowing to run at peak efficiency? This is my first fiero and im 15, im still learning, so cut me some slack i know some of my questions may sound stupid.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2014 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fier-oh41229:

This is my first fiero and im 15, im still learning, so cut me some slack i know some of my questions may sound stupid.

Steve forgets that he was young once... probably because it was so long ago.

Have a look at those supplied links. You'll probably see some mention of required CFM for a 2.8 engine. It isn't much (compared to V8s), which is why most 4-bbl carbs are way too big.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2014 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Steve forgets that he was young once... probably because it was so long ago.

Ayup my kids say I am older than dirt, Dino my pet dinosaur gets pissed when they say that as well !

To be honest I never realized they made a four barrel that small, it must be Sooooooo Cute.

But then if you just want to pump more fuel into the engine it might be more cost affective just to get injectors with more flow. Patrick is right, if it ain't a V8 I really don't think of putting 4 barrel carbs on it ! Hell my yard plow has an Edelbrock 850 on it and that was like the smallest one I could use on a 400 CI engine. But I don't think just pumping in more fuel is going to do much as far as increasing power for as small an engine as you are talking about, remember there are many other factors involved in making an engine faster, intake, exhaust, valve sized, cam duration.

Hey what can I say I am still trying to figure out how to drop a 70 Eldorado 500 CI 400 HP engine into a Fiero. More power,

AUGH AUGH AUGH !

If it ain't a big block V8 it ain't worth the work of putting it in !

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 08-09-2014).]

Fier-oh41229

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fier-oh41229Send a Private Message to Fier-oh41229Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wasn't thinking extra fuel so much as eliminating the restrictive intake at a more affordable cost than buying a dual throttle body or trueleo intake. i really like the 2.8. i cant quite put my finger on it but there's just something about it that makes me wanna keep it and try and tune it up a bit. i dont need a rocket ship i just want something with USABLE power. something that i can put my foot down and hear it scream without having to worry about it getting too out of hand. even just a bump up to 160hp would do the trick i think. i was thinking maybe instead of going a carbureted route maybe just get a bigger cam and lifters and a better flowing exhaust. i wonder what the gains would be and if they'd be worth it.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's what I did to my 2.8 '88 Formula:

1 - Ported manifolds
2 - Ported y-pipe
3 - "Dawg Style" upper intake manifold
4 - Steve Monroe 56mm bored throttle body
5 - Rodney's underdrive pulley set.
6 - Hi-flow cat
7 - MSD streetfire coil.
8 - 80 lb weight reduction -
A- Optima battery ( -20 lbs )
B - Spare tire delete ( -35 lbs)
C - Cat replacement ( -10lbs )

Cost about $600 plus some sweat equity. The general opinion here is that the engine now makes between 160 and 170 HP. I'm happy with the results as the car is noticeably more responsive.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A carburetor is an ignorant fueling device, meaning that it does not have the ability to adjust to the engine demand. On the other hand an EFI system constantly adjusts to conditions of temp, load, speed and exhaust gas makeup. If you tune a carburetor properly you can make horsepower in a very limited RPM band as in a race car where the RPM's stay high. Overall drivability is far better with EFI, not to mention that you grossly violate EPA and state emissions laws with a carburetor on later model cars.
Bottom line is that you won't make more horsepower and you will use more fuel by using a carburetor.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

A carburetor is an ignorant fueling device, meaning that it does not have the ability to adjust to the engine demand.

Are you sure about that Dennis? I have not driven a carbureted car or truck in at least the past 25 years, but all of my yard equipment is carbureted and they all respond to increased loading with increased fueling without changing the RPM.
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-10-2014 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:
Are you sure about that Dennis? I have not driven a carbureted car or truck in at least the past 25 years, but all of my yard equipment is carbureted and they all respond to increased loading with increased fueling without changing the RPM.

They don't provide any more fuel than the jets in the carb allows them to provide. The fuel supplied is proportional to how wide the throttle is opened, but the jet doesn't open up wider to let more fuel in if needed, and the amount of fuel isn't adjusted based on atmospheric pressure. With EFI though, the injectors can be held open for a longer or shorter amount of time, based on a multitude of variables. You can't exceed the capacity of what the injectors can flow, though, so if adding boost or building a race prepped engine, you'll need bigger injectors. Modern cars can easily maintain a 14:1 AFR, but on a carb, you can't do that so well, as the jets won't necessarily provide the right amount of fuel to do that throughout an engine's entire RPM range.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock