Started on: 09-21-2003 10:04 PM
Replies: 27
Last post by: Oreif on 09-24-2003 01:52 PM
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Well as of yesterday the engine is in.
The brakes are all hooked up. All that's left to do is hook up the coolant lines and on Saturday the Borla exhaust will be here.
Just have to install it, fill the cooling system, install the battery and fire it up!
By next Sunday it should be on the road again!

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierohutch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohutchSend a Private Message to fierohutchDirect Link to This Post
very cool dude,

on another note i like you taste in fiero's. i just saw a picture of yours a minute ago and i realized mine is identicle! (with exception of the spoiler and other interior mods) so props for black!

------------------

Proud Owner of a Black 86 2M6!
AIM: Hutchmyster85

Razor_Wing

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Razor_WingSend a Private Message to Razor_WingDirect Link to This Post
Nice, what engine?

------------------

www.freewebs.com/fierogti

"Go fast before you look fast"
<>{RazorWing}<>

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Razor_Wing:

Nice, what engine?

This one: (It's a built up 3.4L)

fierogt3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3Send a Private Message to fierogt3Direct Link to This Post
That looks awesome!.....what are your expectations out of her?
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt3:

That looks awesome!.....what are your expectations out of her?

This set-up has 223hp/239 torque at the flywheel and the trans dyno'd at 17.4% loss.
(Which is excellent for an auto trans.)

Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
What intake/carb setup are you using? I've been looking into that as an option on my 3.4 to finally get rid of the idle surge
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. I see you went with carb. Good choice in my opinion. I hate electronics.
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Uaana:

What intake/carb setup are you using? I've been looking into that as an option on my 3.4 to finally get rid of the idle surge

Manifold ~ Edelbrock Torker II for a 60* V-6
Carb ~ Holley 390 CFM 4-bbl

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
Congrats, I just got my black formula started last night. My engine is just a stock one, but I replaced a ton of other little things. All I have left its finishing the clutch hydrolics, brakes, and fix a vacuum leak.

It sure feels nice to hear it run after all that work.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com Support Mental Health, or I'll Kill Ya!!
Yellow Formula Signature

• 88 Yellow FORMULA-undergoing a ZZ3 350 with Accel 1000CFM Street Ram TPI and Gen VI DFI=345HP/390TQ
  • I Keep them in seperate garages and never take the bra off of one.
  • Black 88 formula-stock black and tan.
  • My Shower Cam
Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post
Oreif,
Looks very nice. I'm sure it's gonna be a monster. What rpm range will the engine shift at safely? Couple of questions. Were there any particular issues for Not choosing the DOHC 3.4 instead of the sohc? Your power range might have been higher with it because of the better breathing and volumetric efficiency.
Are you planning on using any special fluids, like B&M trans fluid, Royal Purple Tranny fluid, or oil- synthetics?? What kind of compression will you be running? Fuel octane?

[This message has been edited by Bazooka (edited 09-22-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
Congrats! I can't wait to see it in person!!!

------------------

Activities Director N.I.F.E.

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bazooka:

Oreif,
Looks very nice. I'm sure it's gonna be a monster. What rpm range will the engine shift at safely? Couple of questions. Were there any particular issues for Not choosing the DOHC 3.4 instead of the sohc? Your power range might have been higher with it because of the better breathing and volumetric efficiency.
Are you planning on using any special fluids, like B&M trans fluid, Royal Purple Tranny fluid, or oil- synthetics?? What kind of compression will you be running? Fuel octane?

[This message has been edited by Bazooka (edited 09-22-2003).]

Engine redline is 6500RPM.
The trans was built and dyno'd to match the engine.
I didn't choose the 3.4L TDC due to the reliability issues of the timing belts. The engine I have isn't a SOHC, it's a pushrod engine out of a 94 Firebird.I bumped the compression up to 9.5 and tossed in a large cam. I'm using mobil 1 oil and normal trans fluid (dextron III) The trans will work fine especially with the new trans cooler.
I'll most likely use 93 octane normally due to the increased compression and high lift cam.

Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post
Oreif,
6500 is plenty. Did you use a special shifter in the console? Do you have the 125 3 spd, or the 440T4 4 spd? The trans cooler is really essencial but it was a real tight installation when I did mine in front of the rad. I've seen some straight line coolers that could work under the rocker panels, maybe next to the antifreeze coolant tubes. My slip about the sohc, I did mean Overhead Valve engine.
Did you rebuild the tranny yourself? If not, is it someone in the area? The 9.5 c.r. is a good compromise. You can probably use most available octanes at the pump. I have real high compression on my V8 and need 93 or better and it's always more $. Did you run the stock electric fuel pump?
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Oreif,
6500 is plenty. Did you use a special shifter in the console? Do you have the 125 3 spd, or the 440T4 4 spd? The trans cooler is really essencial but it was a real tight installation when I did mine in front of the rad. I've seen some straight line coolers that could work under the rocker panels, maybe next to the antifreeze coolant tubes. My slip about the sohc, I did mean Overhead Valve engine.
Did you rebuild the tranny yourself? If not, is it someone in the area? The 9.5 c.r. is a good compromise. You can probably use most available octanes at the pump. I have real high compression on my V8 and need 93 or better and it's always more $. Did you run the stock electric fuel pump?

Stock shifter with a TH125 trans. My trans cooler is the B&M Street rod version. I have it mounted in the side scoop. It fits right behind the aftermarket scoop.
The trans was rebuilt and dyno'd by Roadmaster Transmissions here in Schaumburg.
They built it as a heavy duty trans (heavy duty clutch packs, shift kit, etc.) and dyno'd it with a 3800 (It was the closest engine to the power I'm putting out.) The trans has only 17.4% loss thru it. Which according to them is very good for an auto transaxle.
I'm using an external electric fuel pump. The Holley "Red".

Tina

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post
Great to hear
Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post
Oreif,
I know Bill at Roadmasters. Hope yours lasts longer than mine did.
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Oreif,
I know Bill at Roadmasters. Hope yours lasts longer than mine did.

HMMM, Could that have been why he asked if I was going to use a V-8 and then said he doesn't warranty the trans if it used with one??

Anyhow, It's warrantied for 3 years/ 36,000 miles and I am not running the HP/torque you have.

Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2003 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

HMMM, Could that have been why he asked if I was going to use a V-8 and then said he doesn't warranty the trans if it used with one??

Anyhow, It's warrantied for 3 years/ 36,000 miles and I am not running the HP/torque you have.

Very likely one of the reasonss. Another is that they dont warranty the high torque that V8's have. Too bad they didn't mention no warrantee until their second rebuild and I hadn't even driven the car from the first rebuild. I have their famous tag on the bellhousing siting in my garage right now with the tranny attached. It had lasted 1 1/2 years with "miserably sedated driving. Soon as I get a chance, I'm gonna see if they actually did the work that they claimed and take it apart. I'm expecting to see the larger upgraded bands from a 440T4 and the improved clutch packs. Oh, and by the way, my 1-2 clutch pack wore out suddenly as to the reason for this teardown.

87 Pegasus

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2003 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87 PegasusSend a Private Message to 87 PegasusDirect Link to This Post
Hey dave would you think of maybe putting the car in the WOW show? just wondering we are looking for one more car, and i know you were interested a few years ago...
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2003 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87 Pegasus:

Hey dave would you think of maybe putting the car in the WOW show? just wondering we are looking for one more car, and i know you were interested a few years ago...

I'll let you know next month for sure. I want to make sure everything is good and get some miles on it first. I also might be changing how my decklid looks. Right now I should have 1/4" of clearance with the decklid on. I need to make sure everything clears once the decklid is on. If I go with the changes to the decklid, It won't be show-ready by January.

PFF
System Bot
Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2003 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
Did you also rebuild the engine? bearings, pistons, rings, rods? How about head work? Port, polish, SS valves, roller rockers?
Great job! BTW, how far from Bloomington are you?.......Paul
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2003 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Paul Prince:

Did you also rebuild the engine? bearings, pistons, rings, rods? How about head work? Port, polish, SS valves, roller rockers?
Great job! BTW, how far from Bloomington are you?.......Paul

stock pistons and rods, new bearings, cam. Heads ported, SS valves, roller tipped rockers, heavy duty pushrods, performance lifters, ported intake and exhaust manifolds,
re-curved distributor, double roller timing chain, Hi-Vol oil pump, etc.
Basically I started with a bare block and worked my way up matching everything.

I'm about 1.5 - 2 hours north.

Rob Ernst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2003 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rob ErnstClick Here to visit Rob Ernst's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rob ErnstDirect Link to This Post
Have you dyno'd it?

I'd be interested in tossin' my computer and using a similar setup.

Hell, that makes the 2.8 comparable to a 3800 S/C if those numbers hold up...

Can you post the complete parts list so I could duplicate it???

Rob

Rob Ernst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2003 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rob ErnstClick Here to visit Rob Ernst's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rob ErnstDirect Link to This Post

Rob Ernst

329 posts
Member since Feb 2002
How high does that carb sit up? Does it clear the standard decklid? I'd like to see it with a shaker hood ala Bubba Joe's 4.9....

Rob

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2003 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rob Ernst:

Have you dyno'd it?

I'd be interested in tossin' my computer and using a similar setup.

Hell, that makes the 2.8 comparable to a 3800 S/C if those numbers hold up...

How high does that carb sit up? Does it clear the standard decklid?

Can you post the complete parts list so I could duplicate it???

Rob

It has been engine dyno'd.

The carb sits approx 2.5" below the 85-88 notchback decklid.
Taijiguy has a shaker scoop on his carb'd 2.8L.

Engine is:
1994 Firebird 3.4L
Edelbrock Intake manifold with 4-bbl riser.
Holley 390 cfm carb
1984 S-10 Distributor
Colye's Double roller timing chain
Comp Cams 1.5 Magnum roller rockers and Heavy duty pushrods.
Edelbrock camshaft and performance lifters.
GM performance parts balancer and Hi-vol Oil pump.
Holley "Red" Fuel pump.
Darrell Morse brackets
WCF engine/trans mounts
Pro-thane cradle/control arm bushings
Fel-Pro gaskets
ARP studs and bolts
Rodney Dickman Tach filter, replacement connectors, and low temp fan switch.
Crane Fireball Ignition system.
Accel 8.8mm Spark plug wires

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2003 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:
...The trans has only 17.4% loss thru it. Which according to them is very good for an auto transaxle.

I was going to ask you if 17.5% is typical for a 125, but from their comments, it sounds like each one is different.
Have you any thoughts?

Nice looking. Your car is gonna scream!

------------------
Raydar

88 3.4 coupe. 17s, cut springs 'n all.

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2003 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I was going to ask you if 17.5% is typical for a 125, but from their comments, it sounds like each one is different.
Have you any thoughts?

Nice looking. Your car is gonna scream!

Per the trans shop, 22-25% is normal for a automatic tranaxle. With the heavy duty clutch packs, shift kit and Pro-Torque converter you get 17.4%.
Manual transmissions run about 15-18%.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock