Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  URGENT!!! INPUT REQUESTED ASAP!!! (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
URGENT!!! INPUT REQUESTED ASAP!!! by Oolab1
Started on: 07-30-2014 11:39 PM
Replies: 63 (1530 views)
Last post by: Oolab1 on 08-04-2014 03:39 PM
Oolab1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:
c'mon wayneman...kid just wants his car to look good for the time being cause he likes his car. But I think he got the point.

Yes. Thank you.

So although I have formally renounced my unspeakably horrific rattle-can paint job idea, I decided I still wanna do something to make it more my own. I know the whole car with spray cans is a bad idea, but what about if I do a smaller thing that way? Like just a little racing stripe or something? Nothing too thick, but just maybe like a little accenty thing with spray paint? That way it wouldn't be to problematic when I go to have a pro do the whole car, but it still looks good for school. Cuz there's no way I have time to save for a whole car job before the first day... if this won't work, any other ideas for cosmetic personalization would be greatly appreciated!

Also again I'm sorry for the misleading title. I thought it would be funny since it's not actually important, but I guess it was in poor taste.
IP: Logged
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I can see in the pictures and as is common with original paint jobs, only the top panels are really a problem. The side panels usually retain their finish long after the clearcoat and sometimes the paint, has departed the top surfaces. How about a black primer on the complete hood, the front portion of the roof and the deck lid? A light wet-dry sanding by hand then spray your primer. You might then put a couple of white vinyl racing stripes across it.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They do sell stripe decals and then you don't have to do all the prep that I really hate, all that sanding and wax removal. Because no matter how you paint it you will have to sand it before you do any kind of painting, to be honest a couple of pinstripes put on right would make it your car. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and even style. that would be a lot easier and cheaper than painting stripes on.

And on the thread title I was having a bad day and hate it when people put titles on their threads that aren't a very good description of what they want to know. So don't take it to badly, that was more my fault as I had just read the thread about thread titles and how they should be more descriptive than what many people do like you did in this one.

We are all different people and have different problems and tastes, don't get to upset about me giving you a hard time, I do that to everyone, ever older members who have been here a lot longer then you, or even me. Hell I give everyone a hard time.

Steve
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah the sides are fine it was just the roof, hood, and trunk that are cracked. I had toyed with the idea of taking the hood and trunk off to paint those parts, but had never considered stopping there. You're saying leave it like this (but with the roof as well)? Cuz I kinda like it, but of course I would have to do some rough Photoshopping first with my car's pics to make sure I like it and to get the stripe style right first.

[This message has been edited by Oolab1 (edited 08-02-2014).]

Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oolab1

81 posts
Member since Apr 2014
I've known and accepted the fact that I'm gonna have a lot of sanding. Thank god it's still summer and I have time. I didn't know they sold pinstripes as add on decals though. That sounds a lot easier you're right.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oolab1:

I've known and accepted the fact that I'm gonna have a lot of sanding. Thank god it's still summer and I have time. I didn't know they sold pinstripes as add on decals though. That sounds a lot easier you're right.

Oh ya any auto parts store that sells paint supplies will have a fair selection and if not you can go online, they come in all shapes sizes and colors as well. More of a tape really that a decal but they are all available in every color and shape imaginable.

http://www.vinylstriping.co...KpZZMgv5EaAiwt8P8HAQ

http://www.xxl-sale.com/sea...84ijuZmUcaAhZb8P8HAQ

http://www.justcarstickers....ers/pinstripe-decals

When I had my Cobra painted by the friend I mentioned earlier who said,

"These things take time !"

I wanted the stripes to be painted on as well, but not be able to feel them threw the paint like regular pinstripes were. The time and work involved in that kind of work would make you sick, the sanding, the painting, the wet sanding, the painting, the wet sanding the clear coat, and again and again and again. in just sand paper alone on my Cobra IIs paintjob I bet I paid over 200 bucks for all the sand paper I bought for it. Then the color choices of what kind of White paint to use for the base coat for it. you would be surprised just how many whites there are. Unless you just go with the original factory paints there are so many choices it will make your head spin.

We have a couple of members here who are paint shop owners who have yet to post in this thread, maybe because of the title not being descriptive and saying it was a bout paint, But Roger is one and I think their are several others who have been doing it for decades who would be a lot better at telling you just what is involved in painting your car and what it will cost.

let me see if I can alert him to this thread. But remember painting is mostly preparation, the hardest part is the preparation, before hand and between coats when you paint a car, but Roger is sort of semi retired and goes to a lot of auto shows this time of year so he may not be around right now so bear with him

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 08-03-2014).]

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Eh, I don't know about that:

Not big on that paint job, but that fiero looks AMAZING. Is that yours?
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-03-2014 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:
Not big on that paint job, but that fiero looks AMAZING. Is that yours?

No, it's qwikgta's. It's an LS376-480/F40 swapped 88 coupe. I was just making the point that kid in a new Mustang isn't going to get an automatic win, just because the Fiero doesn't have a $6K paint job.

Mine still has original paint, and is sat in my garage not running, because it blew a head gasket, I let the inspection sticker lapse, and haven't got the LS4 done and in yet.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-03-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Yes. Thank you.

So although I have formally renounced my unspeakably horrific rattle-can paint job idea, I decided I still wanna do something to make it more my own. I know the whole car with spray cans is a bad idea, but what about if I do a smaller thing that way? Like just a little racing stripe or something? Nothing too thick, but just maybe like a little accenty thing with spray paint? That way it wouldn't be to problematic when I go to have a pro do the whole car, but it still looks good for school. Cuz there's no way I have time to save for a whole car job before the first day... if this won't work, any other ideas for cosmetic personalization would be greatly appreciated!

Also again I'm sorry for the misleading title. I thought it would be funny since it's not actually important, but I guess it was in poor taste.

Seriously, ignore the people who say rattle can paint jobs are a horrible idea. If the paint on your car is faded 3 different ways in different areas, or is just really bad from having sat outside for 20 years, or you've got 5 different colors from body parts being replaced off other cars, there's nothing wrong with doing a little prep work, and painting the whole car with rattle cans as a temporary paint job, until you can afford a quality one. But it's not going to be a $30 paint job. It's going to take a bit more work and money to get a halfway decent paint job done.

I say do it.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You 'can' do spray can jobs. They wont look as good as you would imagine. If you have to do it, you have to do it indoors, on a cool and damp day. You cannot get an even gloss, it will always be streaky, maybe even flat with shiny streaks in it. If you ever do want to really get a paint job, you have to pay someone for all the time they spend taking it all back off. Forget doing any fancy colors or metallics...you will never get it wet enough to look decent. Consider renting a Wagner Power Paint gun and try the Plastic Dip that you can do in your garage. My recommendation is getting a $200-$300 Maaco job and youll be much happier. Your between Akron and Cleveland, so Im sure theres one around you. In my opinion a brushed or rolled on job looks better than spray cans. Spray cans do a pretty decent job on single panels like for repairs...not so much for a whole car. If you think you can make it all glossy by spraying clear spray cans, you cant...it also will be streaky with dull and shiny areas. If you want it to just look good from 50' for a few months and never intend to get it painted with real paint, go for it. Ive painted professionally for decades and Ive done my own with spray cans and brushes...none of which were even close to acceptable.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When browsing the list of new topics, I keep running across this one! Every time I read the thread title, I keep thinking someone is broke down along the road, and needs urgent help or something immediately.......

Seriously, "URGENT!!! REQUESTED ASAP!!!!" for spray painting a car? What gives LOL!
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

When browsing the list of new topics, I keep running across this one! Every time I read the thread title, I keep thinking someone is broke down along the road, and needs urgent help or something immediately.......

Seriously, "URGENT!!! REQUESTED ASAP!!!!" for spray painting a car? What gives LOL!

Just a basic Noob mistake...

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Seriously, ignore the people who say rattle can paint jobs are a horrible idea. If the paint on your car is faded 3 different ways in different areas, or is just really bad from having sat outside for 20 years, or you've got 5 different colors from body parts being replaced off other cars, there's nothing wrong with doing a little prep work, and painting the whole car with rattle cans as a temporary paint job, until you can afford a quality one. But it's not going to be a $30 paint job. It's going to take a bit more work and money to get a halfway decent paint job done.

I say do it.

The car don't look bad to me other than the hood and that really ain't that bad either.

Well sadly mom's not letting me take it to college next year (I'll cross that argument bridge when I come to it) so it doesn't necessarily have to last. Yes it would be nice but it's not super critical. Also I want it done asap, because school is about to start again and I wanna roll up in a kick ass orange Fiero on the first day of my senior year! Besides, I've already stripped and repolished the wheels and redone all the black parts, including the "Fiero 2m6" decal, by hand, so I want it all to be new and matching. Although I would love to hire someone, it just wouldn't work out right now. But that saving plan is a good idea for later on down the road.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a...07-29%2019.28.02.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w...07-29%2019.27.19.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l...07-29%2019.27.35.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x...07-29%2019.27.50.jpg

EDIT: Sorry about the obnoxious links but I can't ever seem to get pictures to work right on my phone.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-03-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't see the pics before. From those pics, I'd just prep the hood and paint it with color matched paint and a few coats of clear.
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like so many aspects of working on these cars, it comes down to what will work best for you. Yes, a professional paint job will always look the best, but like so many of us, you can't afford one. If you're willing to do the prep work and you have reasonable expectations, I say give spray cans a try. I'm painting my '87 coupe with rattle cans. The original maroon paint was in horrible condition and I wanted to change the color to blue, anyway. I plan to own my car for life so if there ever comes a point when I'm dissatisfied with what I've done to it, I'll start over. I don't expect the finished product to look like a $6k paint job, I just want it to be all one color and maybe a little shiny. My expectation is reasonable.

I painted a car the "right" way when I was a teenager so I know what it's like when unreasonable expectations collide with limited financial resources and a lack of skill.

Search the forum for examples of how other owners have painted their cars. You'll be amazed at some of the results.

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 08-03-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-03-2014 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting the skills is at least easy/cheap enough to do, for a Fiero.

1) Find an extra lower quarter panel at a junkyard or on eBay for cheap.
2) But some sandpaper, primer, base coat, and clear coat.
3) Find a nice enclosed but well ventilated area to work in, and plenty of cardboard or something to keep paint off floor/walls/etc…
4) Sand and paint the crap out of that quarter panel until you get reasonably good at it.

Solid color is pretty easy to practice and get reasonably competent at doing, at least. Having a spare quarter panel to practice on means you don't have to take any off your own car, or you don't have to paint it, so you can still drive around in a single color car, and get some practice with painting when you have the time to do it.

Though, I wouldn't generally recommend trying to paint your only car yourself. It'll take a lot more than one afternoon in the driveway to paint the car. and get a reasonably good finish.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I decided I still wanna do something to make it more my own. I know the whole car with spray cans is a bad idea, but what about if I do a smaller thing that way? Like just a little racing stripe or something? Nothing too thick, but just maybe like a little accenty thing with spray paint? That way it wouldn't be to problematic when I go to have a pro do the whole car, but it still looks good for school.

Trying to "personalize" it with a racing stripe is just going to look like someone spray-painted a stripe on a 30-year-old car. It won't fool anyone.

Instead of personalizing it, why not clean it up as good as its been in years and then concentrate on the more important stuff, like mechanical issues. Plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor. Flush and fill the coolant. Replace the fuel filter! How are the brakes? E-brakes? Most of those items are one-afternoon type projects and the learning opportunities are enormous.

Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Trying to "personalize" it with a racing stripe is just going to look like someone spray-painted a stripe on a 30-year-old car. It won't fool anyone.

Instead of personalizing it, why not clean it up as good as its been in years and then concentrate on the more important stuff, like mechanical issues. Plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor. Flush and fill the coolant. Replace the fuel filter! How are the brakes? E-brakes? Most of those items are one-afternoon type projects and the learning opportunities are enormous.

Yeah I've thought that too. Luckily though the PO took amazing care of it and so there's really nothing wrong with it mechanically. Just the usual headlight motor issue that popped up again a few days ago and the A/C doesn't work. But I can live with the headlight for a bit, plus he has given me a rebuild kit for that when I get a chance, and who needs anything but 2-40 A/C anyway?
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oolab1

81 posts
Member since Apr 2014
As for the paint, now I have no idea what I'm gonna do. Too many good ideas. I think, since you're right it probably won't take just one day, that I'll start by taking off the hood and trunk, and doing those one day. That way I can have the two color style for a bit while I figure out what to do with the side panels, and it won't look retarded in the meantime. Plus who knows? Maybe I'll like the hood and trunk style so much that I'll just save the money and keep it that way. Also I found some black primer as was suggested that's only 3.50 per can, so that'll be even better to buy in bulk. I guess the main issue I have now is that I'm not sure exactly what product I should use to paint with. Primer? Top coat paint? Both? (Please don't say both cuz that means more money, though I will if I must) I mean shiny would be nice but I don't expect a factory-new clear coat look. At most just a little between satin and gloss. Again the main issue is I want to make it look one color instead of faded and stained and cracked.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes. Thank you.

Like I said.. Plasti Dip.
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it sounds good to me, but what exactly is plasti dip? I mean it's a little more expensive but if it turns out really well I'm willing to pay an extra dollar per can. Also on that note, does out require two coats, or is one opaque coat enough?
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plasti dip usually recommends 3 - 5 coats if I remember right, if you are just doing graphics though it wont take many cans. I dont recommend cans for the whole car unless you are amazing at spray cans. The best thing is it can be peeled off later so it wont be an issue for painting the car properly down the road.
You can get some spray can colors at Lowes hardware stores, I think they are $5 can.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121812.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/090178-2.html

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-04-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-04-2014 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As for the paint, now I have no idea what I'm gonna do. Too many good ideas. I think, since you're right it probably won't take just one day, that I'll start by taking off the hood and trunk, and doing those one day. That way I can have the two color style for a bit while I figure out what to do with the side panels, and it won't look retarded in the meantime. Plus who knows? Maybe I'll like the hood and trunk style so much that I'll just save the money and keep it that way. Also I found some black primer as was suggested that's only 3.50 per can, so that'll be even better to buy in bulk. I guess the main issue I have now is that I'm not sure exactly what product I should use to paint with. Primer? Top coat paint? Both? (Please don't say both cuz that means more money, though I will if I must) I mean shiny would be nice but I don't expect a factory-new clear coat look. At most just a little between satin and gloss. Again the main issue is I want to make it look one color instead of faded and stained and cracked.

Clear doesn't make it shiny. The clear is to protect the paint underneath it. The best result will be a properly prepped surface, good primer coating with no runs, good base coat on top of that, and then good clear coat on top of that. If you want to stick with a primer color though, you could just go clear right on the primer. You'll want clear to keep rain, sap, and such from causing the primer to lift and wash off.

Or if you're trying to go for the black hood look, you can spray the hood with chalkboard paint, after prepping it and using a coat or two of primer. Then you can work out your math homework on the hood.
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw that video but it didn't really explain as much as it advertised. I was considering doing the whole hood and trunk in plasti-dip, but I guess that's out. Especially at 3-5 coats. Though I may use it for stripes added in by hand around the decal I found to go on. It would give me the look of the $165 version for only $50.

http://www.fierosails.com/d....html?subject=Decals

The chalkboard paint idea actually isn't bad. Chalkboards have a nice color to them. And forget about math, I would write out my English essays on that. But seriously that would be a pretty good protectant and look good too. Would using a rubber undercoat spray work instead? Maybe even instead of primer?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock