Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Turbo MS3 vs Fiero 4.9 race challenge questions (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Turbo MS3 vs Fiero 4.9 race challenge questions by 87GT2M6
Started on: 06-30-2014 07:52 PM
Replies: 46 (1110 views)
Last post by: jediperk on 07-10-2014 08:28 PM
87GT2M6

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a Mazda Speed 3 with large turbo is challenging a Fiero 4.9 - who do you think would win? Race is a 40 roll on a quarter mile track.

After you answer the first scenario, who would win if the MS3 gives the Fiero a two car lead?

Note: Fiero is a manual 5speed with the 4.9L engine.

[This message has been edited by 87GT2M6 (edited 07-08-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As much as I love our little cars, I have to say I've driven 2 different 4.9 fieros and a mz3 as well and I'm gonna have to put my money on the Mazda. I don't think the 4.9 has the balls

Edit to add: my buddy Scotts 4.9 has the auto trans with the taller gears and a couple of bolt ons. Iirc his best 1/4 mile time was 15.2 at 100mph at edgewater

[This message has been edited by fieroguy123 (edited 06-30-2014).]

87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguy123:

As much as I love our little cars, I have to say I've driven 2 different 4.9 fieros and a mz3 as well and I'm gonna have to put my money on the Mazda. I don't think the 4.9 has the balls

Edit to add: my buddy Scotts 4.9 has the auto trans with the taller gears and a couple of bolt ons. Iirc his best 1/4 mile time was 15.2 at 100mph at edgewater

You think the mazda would win even giving the fiero a two car lead?
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think your friend Scott might be my brother. Is it a White 88 GT 4.9? (white and silver now) If so his best time might be 15.2 but I got a 14.9 out of it at Edgewater a long while ago. Alas, having driven his and knowing what they run with a manual (low to mid 14's) unless the 4.9 has upgraded heads and cam or a 75 Shot of Nitrous I believe the Mazda will win fairly easily. The Fiero will pull out in front briefly and then once the Mazda 3 gets those front wheels hooked up he will reel him in quickly. My $.02 anyways...
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-30-2014 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GT2M6:

The Fiero just doesn't have a chance. It doesn't have the torque or RPM range, and the gearing, to do it. From 40 MPH, you're probably going to be starting in 3rd gear, and the Mazda probably can drop into 2nd for a better start. 2nd gear on a Getrag with a stock 4.9 over 40 MPH is probably not something you want to do. You'll already be over 5000 RPM at that point, on the stock Fiero tires. You'll just be spinning and wasting gas, not putting any more power out, and likely to break something.

If it's got a big turbo on it too, you're definitely screwed. Stock the MS3 makes more power than the 4.9, and over a broader range.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-30-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Probably. RPMs and gearing is in its favor. It won't take long for the Mazda to pass the Fiero, especially if it's running a big turbo and making > 300 HP (if it's running 10-15 PSI of boost on the turbo, and is properly tuned, should probably be closer to 400 HP). The Mazdaspeed engine makes some impressive power numbers for being a little 2.3L 4 cylinder.
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jediperk:

I think your friend Scott might be my brother. Is it a White 88 GT 4.9? (white and silver now) If so his best time might be 15.2 but I got a 14.9 out of it at Edgewater a long while ago. Alas, having driven his and knowing what they run with a manual (low to mid 14's) unless the 4.9 has upgraded heads and cam or a 75 Shot of Nitrous I believe the Mazda will win fairly easily. The Fiero will pull out in front briefly and then once the Mazda 3 gets those front wheels hooked up he will reel him in quickly. My $.02 anyways...

Yes, this is your brother I'm speaking of. I spent a good amount of time behind the wheel of his 88 when we traveled to Pennsylvania to pick up your northstar Fiero. Its an amazing car, but its not the mazdaspeed 3 by any means.

Bobby-

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As the owner of a 4.9 Formula with the 3.33 final in the 4T60E, (its no slouch) the Mazda WILL WALK ON THE FIERO.
Embarrassingly, I might add.
Eighth mile, standing start?........4.9 Fiero.
40 mph roll? Not the best scenario by a long shot.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 07-01-2014).]

jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, this is your brother I'm speaking of. I spent a good amount of time behind the wheel of his 88 when we traveled to Pennsylvania to pick up your northstar Fiero. Its an amazing car, but its not the mazdaspeed 3 by any means.

Bobby-

Then I owe you a BIG thank you. I met one of my brother's fiero friends in Indianapolis. Was that you? As for the thread topic, the advent of DI / VVT & Twin Scroll turbos mounted directly to the exhaust manifold eliminating turbo lag has ended the "no replacement for displacement"era to be for sure. My Cobalt SS turbo in Germany would crush a stock 4.9 especially if both vehicles are already rolling at 40mph (i missed that part when I posted previously that the 4.9 would jump ahead...) and being brutally honest with you I think it would be a match for my lightly modded N* fiero. I know after I put the Trifecta Tune on it and upped the boost to 21 psi it would take my N* fiero from 40 mph. The Mazda 3 has pretty much the same set up with an extra .3 liter of displacement. The only issue the Mazda would have in this hypo. scenario would be arm wrestling with the steering wheel. Mazda is not nearly as good as GM at negating TQ steer in FWD cars (but then, nobody is...). Oh how I miss driving that Cobalt in Germany...

-Steve

[This message has been edited by jediperk (edited 07-01-2014).]

Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If he wants to spend $500 bucks to win put a wet shot of nitrous through it.
arte444

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If he has an upgraded turbo like you said "Large", then you are doomed.

260HP and LSD I believe on that car.
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 4.9 V8 is definitely not a high-performance engine. Yeah, it has plenty of low-RPM torque. But low-RPM torque doesn't win races. That turbocharged Mazda3 will trounce it (assuming the driver isn't a complete idiot, and his car doesn't break).
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to agree with everyone else. The Mazdaspeed3 will win if the driver is at all competent.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-01-2014 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

I have to agree with everyone else. The Mazdaspeed3 will win if the driver is at all competent.

Rather, he'd have to be pretty incompetent to lose, with 100+ HP, and probably 100+ ft-lbs more than the 4.9 Fiero is making, with more RPM and better gearing.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2 different monsters.. close in power but that MS3 is going to rev a hell of a lot faster than your 4.9
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

If he wants to spend $500 bucks to win put a wet shot of nitrous through it.

Y'up. A 75 HP shot of nitrous would be a game changer in this scenario and even things out a bit...
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

As the owner of a 4.9 Formula with the 3.33 final in the 4T60E, (its no slouch) the Mazda WILL WALK ON THE FIERO.
Embarrassingly, I might add.
Eighth mile, standing start?........4.9 Fiero.
40 mph roll? Not the best scenario by a long shot.

This.
My 4.9 has a Getrag. It's a beast, out of the hole. But doesn't have the top end.

Against a well engineered, current model hot rod? (Even a turbo 4.) Not happening.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-01-2014).]

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I'm doing the 4.9 swap for the off the line power. I wonder why anyone would give that up in a race.

O, would the 4.9 hold up to a 75-100 shot?
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

Yeah, I'm doing the 4.9 swap for the off the line power. I wonder why anyone would give that up in a race.

4.9 holds up well to a 75 shot. It's the 4T60 you have to worry about...
iluvsd619

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvsd619Send a Private Message to iluvsd619Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Mazdaspeed 6 for my daily. The car is quick. I love it. If the MS3 has an upgraded turbo the 4.9 will not win. Sorry.
IROCTAFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCTAFIEROSend a Private Message to IROCTAFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From a roll is probably about the worst scenario for a 4.9.
PFF
System Bot
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IROCTAFIERO:

From a roll is probably about the worst scenario for a 4.9.

Y'up, it negates the only real advantage the 4.9 would have against the Mazda 3; the off the line launch...
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-02-2014 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Y'up, it negates the only real advantage the 4.9 would have against the Mazda 3; the off the line launch...

I highly doubt it. THe MS3 makes 280 ft-lbs of torque and has a 0-60 of less than 6 seconds, doing the 1/4 mile in 14 seconds flat. A stock 4.9 is not going to win even off the line. I can't find a 0-60 time for a stock 4.9 swapped Fiero, but as an educated guess, I'd put it in the low-mid 6 second range. Depending on drivers, the launch might be close, but the 4.9 definitely isn't going to outright win it.
87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I'll find out on the 16th of August at Palm Beach International Raceway.

I have been in the MS3 that's presenting the challenge, and yes it is fast but I still think I could win.

Stay tuned.

[This message has been edited by 87GT2M6 (edited 07-03-2014).]

jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I highly doubt it. THe MS3 makes 280 ft-lbs of torque and has a 0-60 of less than 6 seconds, doing the 1/4 mile in 14 seconds flat. A stock 4.9 is not going to win even off the line. I can't find a 0-60 time for a stock 4.9 swapped Fiero, but as an educated guess, I'd put it in the low-mid 6 second range. Depending on drivers, the launch might be close, but the 4.9 definitely isn't going to outright win it.

It's not the lack of power that will cost the MS3 at launch, its FWD. My Cobalt SS Turbo made 260 TQ, had launch control and a much better suspension for reducing TQ Steer and launching hard than the MS3 and it did 0-60 in under 6 seconds too. If the car could have launched better it would have had a 0-60 of about 5 seconds and its the same way with the MS3. Also, the 4.9 may only make 210 HP, but it has 270 TQ and it's a low down launch hard kind of TQ...
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jediperk

588 posts
Member since May 2013

I guess I'll find out on the 16th at Palm Beach International Raceway.

I have been in the MS3 that's presenting the challenge, and yes it is fast but I still think I could win.

Stay tuned.

If you have the $$ put a 75 HP Wet shot on your 4.9 and make it interesting...

fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm with Jediperk. You should give it a shot. (Pun intended)
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-02-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you want to make it an interesting race with the Mazda mentioned in the OP, you're going to need a lot more than a 75 shot. Try 150. Or better yet, just get a turbo.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-02-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

It's not the lack of power that will cost the MS3 at launch, its FWD. My Cobalt SS Turbo made 260 TQ, had launch control and a much better suspension for reducing TQ Steer and launching hard than the MS3 and it did 0-60 in under 6 seconds too. If the car could have launched better it would have had a 0-60 of about 5 seconds and its the same way with the MS3. Also, the 4.9 may only make 210 HP, but it has 270 TQ and it's a low down launch hard kind of TQ...

The problem with the 4.9 is that it doesn't keep making that torque. And 3000 RPM is hardly "down low" when the engine hits the wall at just over 4000. You also seem to be talking about a stock MS3. Depending on the "larger turbo" mentioned in the OP, how much boost it's making, and how well the car is tuned, it could be making 400 ft-lbs of torque, and probably 400 HP. Even if it's not that big a turbo, but it's larger than stock and tuned, it's probably pushing at least 325 at the crank, and it has a much broader RPM range than the 4.9 does.
Steel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It should if everything is in good order.. I put 16 bottles of nitrous through my stock 2.8 and it ran fine when I removed it to do a motor swap.

[This message has been edited by Steel (edited 07-03-2014).]

jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The problem with the 4.9 is that it doesn't keep making that torque. And 3000 RPM is hardly "down low" when the engine hits the wall at just over 4000. You also seem to be talking about a stock MS3. Depending on the "larger turbo" mentioned in the OP, how much boost it's making, and how well the car is tuned, it could be making 400 ft-lbs of torque, and probably 400 HP. Even if it's not that big a turbo, but it's larger than stock and tuned, it's probably pushing at least 325 at the crank, and it has a much broader RPM range than the 4.9 does.

I feel you with the 4.9. At 4000 rpm its time to shift. But having driven them and ran them down the track I know how well they can launch. Adding more power to the MS3 just makes it that much harder to launch and actually works against it. That's why TRIFECTA and ZZP both offer a 1st gear boost reduction tune for us LNF guys. Off the line the 4.9 WILL launch a wee bit harder. The MS3, even stock will reign the 4.9 in and be in front of it by the 1/8 mile mark. It will probably look exactly like a Corvette / 911 drag race FROM BACK IN THE DAY. Porsche launches harder and pulls out in front and then the Corvette gets traction and superior power reels in the 911 quickly before etching out the win.
PFF
System Bot
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It should if everything is in good order.. I put 16 bottles of nitrous through my stock 2.8 and it ran fine when I removed it to do a motor swap.

I don't know a lot about Nitrous, but that sounds like a lot. (And a lot of money)
Steel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know a lot about Nitrous, but that sounds like a lot. (And a lot of money)

I got to fill up for cost.. but still expensive really. It's why I just pulled the engine out and went to a 3800 turbo eventually.

It really does make a slow motor like a 2.8 fun though.. would imagine it could do the same for a 4.9

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got to fill up for cost.. but still expensive really. It's why I just pulled the engine out and went to a 3800 turbo eventually.

It really does make a slow motor like a 2.8 fun though.. would imagine it could do the same for a 4.9

Totally highjacking the thread here, but what size shot did you put to your 2.8?
Steel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Totally highjacking the thread here, but what size shot did you put to your 2.8?

75shot I also retard the timing a little over 1*

To go higher I think you'd need to pull 3-4* timing and think about some forged pistons.

But a 4.9 with a 75 shot would be a nice upgrade to compete in a race like this I think.

87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
could not wait, raced 40 roll then one more try giving me car and a half ahead and both times no chance on a quarter mile length.

Good news is the first race I did pull ahead for a sec but then it was all over.

On my defense his car has mods, tuned, large turbo and then some.

I'll try again if I ever put a turbo on or change engines to LS type.

Never intended to race so no biggie.

The 4.9 is a night and day upgrade from the 6cyl stock, so I'm very happy with it.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2014 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

On my defense his car has mods, tuned, large turbo and then some.

Pretty sure your Fiero is not stock either.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll run him

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should have made him race you at a 1/4 mile track from a standstill. You basically took away the only thing you had going for you (ability to launch hard) and took away the only disadvantage he had (trying to launch a high HP/TQ FWD car with a manual). Actually a 1/8th mile track would have been better. By the time he managed to get hooked up and actually moving you would probably be up 5-6 car lengths and not much farther to go. You would be surprised how many times a slower/less powerful car wins at the drag strip b/c of the most important mod of all: THE DRIVER MOD

[This message has been edited by jediperk (edited 07-08-2014).]

87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pretty sure your Fiero is not stock either.

my car is as stock as a 4.9 can be or you can look at it as the only mod is the 4.9

other than that I have no tune, turbos, supercharger or anything else.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock