Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Turbo MS3 vs Fiero 4.9 race challenge questions (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Turbo MS3 vs Fiero 4.9 race challenge questions by 87GT2M6
Started on: 06-30-2014 07:52 PM
Replies: 46 (1113 views)
Last post by: jediperk on 07-10-2014 08:28 PM
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GT2M6:
my car is as stock as a 4.9 can be or you can look at it as the only mod is the 4.9

other than that I have no tune, turbos, supercharger or anything else.

No, but saying "the other guy isn't stock, so I lost in my non-stock car" is just whining. If I put a stock LS3 in a Miata, and then lose a race to a Z06 Vette with twin turbos, don't you think it'd be a bit lame to complain about the Vette not being stock?

And yes, you do have some tune. The 4.9L did not come mated to a manual transmission from the factory. Some change in tuning was required to make it run properly mated to the 5 speed.

Does a dyno graph exist for the Mazdaspeed 3 you raced? Would be neat to see it. It will tell you what you'd need to do, if you really do intend to race him again and win at some point.
IP: Logged
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by jediperk:

You should have made him race you at a 1/4 mile track from a standstill. You basically took away the only thing you had going for you (ability to launch hard) and took away the only disadvantage he had (trying to launch a high HP/TQ FWD car with a manual). Actually a 1/8th mile track would have been better. By the time he managed to get hooked up and actually moving you would probably be up 5-6 car lengths and not much farther to go. You would be surprised how many times a slower/less powerful car wins at the drag strip b/c of the most important mod of all: THE DRIVER MOD

Did you not read the first post? He said it would be at a 1/4 mile track. And one of the races was a standing start. You seem to be settled on the 4.9 making such an amazing launch against a FWD car. He wouldn't have won an 1/8 mile race either. 60 ft maybe. Launching a FWD car is not as hard as you seem to make it out to be. Yes, it's possible to launch too hard, but a high-revving engine with a big turbo will more than make up for launching softly, very quickly, with a driver with remotely any skill.

87GT2M6

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here's the mazda 3 showing what its got at the track

http://www.youtube.com/user/aaacasas/videos

safe to say I won't be going to the track on August 16th unless some Fiero owners that have what it takes to win are willing to show up, if so let me know.

amazing the power of a turbo....

When I decided on the 4.9, racing was never my intention (still is not) this was a fun challenge between friends, but I can see how easy it is to get addicted.

jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Did you not read the first post? He said it would be at a 1/4 mile track. And one of the races was a standing start. You seem to be settled on the 4.9 making such an amazing launch against a FWD car. He wouldn't have won an 1/8 mile race either. 60 ft maybe. Launching a FWD car is not as hard as you seem to make it out to be. Yes, it's possible to launch too hard, but a high-revving engine with a big turbo will more than make up for launching softly, very quickly, with a driver with remotely any skill.

His first post not being relevant to the post I was commenting on, the post I WAS commenting on said 40 roll on start. Also, I did not make out launching a FWD car as being hard. I said launching a high power FWD car HARD was difficult and I agree with you that the big power / FWD driver would be better off launching softly and then feeding the power on as traction permits (the way I launched my turbo SS after the tune). He may not have won an 1/8th mile race either as you posted, but again that was not the point of my post. The point was that if he had made him launch from standstill the other driver might not of had the skill and/or understanding of how to launch his car thus allowing him to MAYBE squeek out a win. Usually when someone wants to race me from a rolling start its b/c they know they don't have the skills to launch their car from a stop...
87GT2M6

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Video race 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG3OP8hR2MM
First race I was on the right lane and you can see the Fiero at all, so no reason to post... all you see is the mazda 3 going fast.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-10-2014 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jediperk:
His first post not being relevant to the post I was commenting on, the post I WAS commenting on said 40 roll on start. Also, I did not make out launching a FWD car as being hard. I said launching a high power FWD car HARD was difficult and I agree with you that the big power / FWD driver would be better off launching softly and then feeding the power on as traction permits (the way I launched my turbo SS after the tune). He may not have won an 1/8th mile race either as you posted, but again that was not the point of my post. The point was that if he had made him launch from standstill the other driver might not of had the skill and/or understanding of how to launch his car thus allowing him to MAYBE squeek out a win. Usually when someone wants to race me from a rolling start its b/c they know they don't have the skills to launch their car from a stop...

Power does make up for crappy drivers though. Mazda guy posted a dyno video last month on his YouTube channel linked above, and it's putting down > 360 ft-lbs and about 300 HP, at the front wheels. Stock 4.9 in a Fiero wouldn't have a chance, even from a standing start, unless he managed to break something.
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Power does make up for crappy drivers though. Mazda guy posted a dyno video last month on his YouTube channel linked above, and it's putting down > 360 ft-lbs and about 300 HP, at the front wheels. Stock 4.9 in a Fiero wouldn't have a chance, even from a standing start, unless he managed to break something.

Yeah, I saw it. I can't imagine the TQ steer in that car as it already has a bad reputation for TQ Steer stock. And adding traction to help with launching it would only make for the ensuing wrestling match with the steering wheel that much worse. Y'up, I know why he asked for a 40 mph role on start. As for breaking something, he is getting close to that power level. If I ever did a 4.9 swap I would have the heads professionally ported/polished with 3 angle vavle job. Then have a cam shaft upgrade. That would fix the HP petering out aat 3800 rpm and make for a much sportier Fiero. Just my $.02 though...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock