Fiero confusion by Vesquar
Started on: 06-15-2014 11:27 PM
Replies: 102 (1611 views)
Last post by: Vesquar on 06-18-2014 08:51 PM
Vesquar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all, so i have always wanted a fiero and I finally snatched one up, I traded my 1984 camaro for a 1984 fiero. So here is the interesting part. I looked all over the web and came to the conclusion my car is wrong. It has a v6 which was not made in 84, It has fiero gt stamped in the back bumper, not a emblem but stamped in. and it looks identical to a formula fiero, same body lines louvers side vents and everything. please if anyone has any enlightenment id be much obliged. Btw the vin comes back as an 84 so it is an 84
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotta say, that is pretty weird....
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea I have just started fieros so I dont know a whole lot I have officially owned the car 2 days now. I have looked everywhere and I just dont understand, this is it.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone may have wrecked their GT and simply transferred the body parts and motor to the 84............................or someone switched VIN tags on the car.
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

looks like someone put a different body and engine on an 84 frame. not that uncommon.
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright I figured all this I was just so confused because I have looked the car up and down, and nothing is out of place it all just too original assembled, so its been this way a long time or someone did a damn good job
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been wondering how long it would be before questions like this started to show up.

With all of the engine swaps, upgrades, & customizations, if someone is mislead or not 100% on their car they are going to be confused when they try to DYI with Google.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The VIN will give you all the correct info. There was NO GT till 85 (which may have been made late in the model year). Def no V6 for 84. You can also decode the RPO tag on the inside of the drivers side front fenderwell. (looks like a 3x5 inch white card with a bunch of 3 digit number groups). Ill guess its an 84 someone did an engine swap on and replaced the rear bumper cover.
Formula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that could be a painted indy with a v6 swap too. Are there red inserts in the interior? Do the vents on the decklid go all the way across, or are they just on the sides?

edit: hmm, I just saw it says GT on it, probably isnt an indy then. I'm going to guess someone did a body/engine swap.

[This message has been edited by Formula (edited 06-16-2014).]

Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The vents are just on the side, and the plates on the doors are unreadable. The only red in the interior is te fiero gt steering wheel. Horn emblem.
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Vesquar

104 posts
Member since Jun 2014
The vents are just on the side, and the plates on the doors are unreadable. The only red in the interior is te fiero gt steering wheel. Horn emblem.
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 85 GT does not have "GT" stamped into the bumper. The "PONTIAC" is molded into the bumper, but there is no GT stamping at all. Any model insignia on the rear of the notchback cars was a sticker on the deck lid above the tail lights. The sail panels on the GT also had "GT" on them.

The fastback bumper though, had a "GT" insignia as part of the molding on the passenger side under the tail light.

Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so sorry te fiero gt is molded into the deck lid . How do I post image an I will put more pics up
Formula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually use http://imgur.com/ then drag and drop the image onto the page, after it uploads, select one of the thumbnail views anc copy/paste out of the bbcode box.

It sounds like its an 85gt body on an 84. What transmission does it have? (4spd manual, 5spd manual, or automatic)
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is an automatic. And I will have to post walk around a when I get off work seein as my phone is finikey.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-16-2014 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what you've said, the two most likely situations that resulted in your car being the way it is are:

1) Someone had an 85 GT, wrecked it, got an 84, and swapped everything over to the 84 chassis.

2) Someone stole an 85 GT, had an 84 VIN plate available, and replaced the 85 VIN plate with it.

Some other things to look for:

84-85 cars did not have the third brake light in the top center of the rear window. If your car has it, then it's probably actually an 86-87 SE.
The map pockets are different in an 85 GT. If your car has the mesh map pockets in the dash and on the door panels, it's probably a body/engine swapped 84.
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do not recall on the light up top, but the pockets are solid vinyl or something and the have spring tension keeping them closed
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The other option is to pull the dash and check to make sure the number stamped into the frame next to the steering column matches your vin number. PITA but it might be worth it to make sure you don't have a stolen 85.
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh dash pulling is always fun. Guess I gotta do what I gotta do
oldbikeracer

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can pull the drivers side dash radio speaker and look through the hole for the VIN stamped there. Is toward the dash on the brace that holds the steering column, you will need a light and put your head against the windshield to see it.. Much easier than pulling the dash. I purchased a Fiero a couple of years ago with no VIN plate on top of the dash and found it there.
MIKE
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does it have the 84 decklid?
PFF
System Bot
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The deck lid looks identical to a formula fiero
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vesquar:

...fiero gt is molded into the deck lid .

I've never heard of any Fiero GT --- regardless of year --- come from the factory with the name, "Fiero GT", "molded into the decklid", as you say. Are you sure it isn't just a decal on the decklid that says, "Fiero GT"? That is what was used by the factory on the decklid of the '85 GT (and no other year of GT).
That aside, also be aware and remember that one easily and legally can purchase a factory-looking decal or even a factory-looking nose emblem that says, "Fiero GT", but that doesn't mean it's really a Fiero GT. That is why VINs are better identifiers than decals or emblems.
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's why I'm not going off the emblems :P but yea the words fiero gt are stamped into the bumper. No sticker or stick on emblem
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Vesquar

104 posts
Member since Jun 2014
Unless it's a sticker and it just looks stamped in there cause it's painted over. But I hate too peel off the paint
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take some pictures of the thing
JJFieroFan

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The side sail panels on an 85 gt have gt on them yours don't. It sounds like someone wanted a gt and added the ground effects and engine to an 84 to make it so. Post pictures of all sides of the car, the engine and interior and we can tell you more by the appearance. Don't pull the dash. Too much trouble.
JJ
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm at work on my phone or I would do a full walk around, I will get a lot of images this afternoon after work , sorry also it does not have the taillight above the deck
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-16-2014 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Unless it's a sticker and it just looks stamped in there cause it's painted over. But I hate too peel off the paint

It's a sticker. If the car was painted quickly, it's possible the stickers weren't removed prior to paint, and would then leave a slightly raised surface. If your car has the GT body and the ground effects are the same color as the body, then it was definitely painted. The only cars that came factory with ground effects and a single color, were 88 GTs. All prior year SE/GT models had 2-tone paint, with ground effects either silver or dark grey.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-16-2014 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by JJFieroFan:

The side sail panels on an 85 gt have gt on them yours don't. It sounds like someone wanted a gt and added the ground effects and engine to an 84 to make it so. Post pictures of all sides of the car, the engine and interior and we can tell you more by the appearance. Don't pull the dash. Too much trouble.
JJ

The side picture of the red car above looks like the sail panels are possibly scuffed up, and were probably painted. I don't see the red Pontiac arrowhead either. Or maybe it is a body swap, and the sail panels from the GT were smashed up or broke when they were removed, and the car the body is on now just has no sail panels. Hard to say without higher quality pics of course, but both of these are possibilities.
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

The side picture of the red car above looks like the sail panels are possibly scuffed up, and were probably painted. I don't see the red Pontiac arrowhead either. Or maybe it is a body swap, and the sail panels from the GT were smashed up or broke when they were removed, and the car the body is on now just has no sail panels. Hard to say without higher quality pics of course, but both of these are possibilities.

That picture above isn't the ops car
PFF
System Bot
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The above picture actually is my car that fellow member was just nice enough to properly post the picture since I messed it up. And if by sail panels you mean the glass panel behind the door I have one of the 2, it wasn't on it when I got the car but was I the trunk. It does say se on it but I wasn't sure if they were the originals cause it looks like brand new
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take a picture of the seats if there original 84's usually have a different pattern design in the seats don't they the stripes down them
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...It has fiero gt stamped in the back bumper, not a emblem but stamped in.

Ok so sorry te fiero gt is molded into the deck lid.

...yea the words fiero gt are stamped into the bumper. No sticker or stick on emblem

I don't understand your varying statements (shown above) re the specific location of the "Fiero GT" identifier somewhere at the rear of your car.

Out of curiosity, which of those statements above is what you meant to say?

By the way, welcome to Pennock's Fiero Forum!
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey there welcome to the forums. If you could upload a photo for us, we'd be able to see exactly what your trying to describe. Most likely, one of the PO's simply put the 85-88 aero styling body on an 84'
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

this is what i got
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Vesquar

104 posts
Member since Jun 2014
And thanks guys for the welcome, i stll have no clue how to upload images properly
code:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where are you at in Arkansas?
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Russellville
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Russellville's not too far away.

We can't see your images in your second to last reply because it appears the outlet you're uploading them to is set to a private album, which is common for those type online host albums.

If you look at my post here that I have posted, you'll see on the top right of it "PROFILE / P.M. / EDIT /" and so on. Click on "PROFILE." Take some photographs of the car, and send me the photos you've taken to my e-mail and I'll properly upload them. Don't worry about re-sizing them as I'll handle that, but try to take the photos with the entire car visible; at the least take a good head-on/side-shot at a 45 degree angle and a rear-on/side shot at a 45 degree angle.

Take the photos like this (these are of my Fiero). This isn't the best example, but if you take them this way we can see all the features of the car;

Try and take an engine shot too, like this (also my car);

From looking at the one BIG front photo that pops up, the car has had obvious body work. The hood is not properly aligned with the front fenders, the side view mirror is incorrectly painted body color (only the 1984 Indy Fiero has body color mirrors) and you're missing the passenger side mirror. We can't tell looking at interior by seats because yours has seat covers (I have those same ones on my GT quite ironically). The sunroof is correct Fiero sunroof (many 1984 cars have aftermarket ones, since the OEM sunroof wasn't quite ready when the Fiero went into production and shortages occurred).

A good way to know you have an '84 model by VIN is the fourth digit. It should be "A", which is unique for '84. The fifth digit after it will be either "E" (base 2M4 Fiero), "M" (Fiero 2M4), or "F" (Fiero SE or Indy Fiero pace car replica). That will tell your base trim level without digging into the RPO codes on the fender tag.

This is the RPO code fender tag. This is an important tag, since the codes on them all mean something and they can tell you everything your car may have originally be equipped with. You will find it under the front hood beside the brake master cylinder on top of the fender liner. You can find a few RPO decoders online to find out what each code means.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 06-16-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock