Fiero confusion by Vesquar
Started on: 06-15-2014 11:27 PM
Replies: 102 (1611 views)
Last post by: Vesquar on 06-18-2014 08:51 PM
Vesquar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK i sent them to you thanks so much btw, also thanks guys for the welcoms. And last but not least I got my car finally started and drove it a whole 3 feet ! I am making wicked progress
IP: Logged
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Vesquar

104 posts
Member since Jun 2014
umm i cant pop the hood :P The switch on the dash wihich also pops the decklid is gone out plus i think the wires are messed up. I have a car with many issues that I dont rightfully know how to fix... Fieros are a whole new ball game
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright here are photos of the OP's car.

Yeah this is definitely a hodge podge car. The "Fiero GT" decal has been painted over (I incorrectly told the OP through e-mail it was incorrect but I was wrong and had to readjust my eyes). Was probably painted over when the car was painted. The car has one SE sail. non-84 decklid with '85-onwards side vents. The rear fascia is the engraved 'PONTIAC' style, meaning it would have to come from an '84 indy, '85 GT, or '86-'87 aero SE. It has a Fiero GT three spoke steering wheel, and the gauges appear to be from a 1985 GT (integrated oil pressure into tach, and no AUX gauges). No high mount center light, so either '84 or '85 model. Flat top plenum leads me to believe it's an '85 or '86 V6. And the spoiler is sagging a bit.

My WAAAAYYY out there guess is your car probably has a lot of parts on it from a 1985 GT.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 06-16-2014).]

Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you so much. I can already see I probably dug myself a hole. Hope I dont screw anything up..
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
give the interior a good whipe down, espicially the door handle.
I keep wet ones/baby whipes in my car for that reason.

[This message has been edited by FieroCanada (edited 06-17-2014).]

Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea sorry about that i was covered in grease getting in and out of the car, i did that today :P
Asphalt Risin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Asphalt RisinSend a Private Message to Asphalt RisinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might wanna take a peek at the coolant tubes by the ground effects (if you havent already). .....when my car was at a shop a couple years back, they did the common "improper lift point", and my paint on the lower ground effects wound up looking very similar to yours. ...plus a kinked tube.

Looks like a lot of potential in that car though.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Asphalt Risin (edited 06-17-2014).]

Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i am so excited about it but i dont know where to start. I need a local help :P
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does she run, or not run to great? if not what the issue.
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
she runs i posted earlier i got her running and drve her 3 feet, shes got a flat. has a vacuum leak, idles high. and scares me cause ive heard alot about fiero engine fires
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vesquar:

she runs i posted earlier i got her running and drve her 3 feet, shes got a flat. has a vacuum leak, idles high. and scares me cause ive heard alot about fiero engine fires

Engine fires only happened in the 84 model fieros, and they only had the 2.5 duke then, im sure when this car was swapped the problem was fixed and solved, but dont take my word im no expert. On start up, the idle is usally high just so you know, but then it goes down to regualar idle shortley, but if its not the case and is always at high idle check vacum leaks, the IAC, the MAP sensor, egr, etc
PFF
System Bot
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea the high idle persists, and i can hear the vacuum leak so i figured that was it. When i got the car it didnt run but i wanted it so bad i traded in my 84 z28 running and in good condition for it :P turns out the wires were in the wrong spot on the cap and the rotor was 180 out. after that started up on the first revolution. so im super excited
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yea the high idle persists, and i can hear the vacuum leak so i figured that was it. When i got the car it didnt run but i wanted it so bad i traded in my 84 z28 running and in good condition for it :P turns out the wires were in the wrong spot on the cap and the rotor was 180 out. after that started up on the first revolution. so im super excited

Cool there's also a few people selling notchback tailights in the mall section noticed yours are a little wrecked.
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea mine are bad, the poor car was not cared for like it should, like any car should be for that matter. I cant decide if i want to pull the motor and go with a 3800 series 3 with a f40 6 speed, or just rebuild what i got, and find a 5 speed fiero tranny
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yea mine are bad, the poor car was not cared for like it should, like any car should be for that matter. I cant decide if i want to pull the motor and go with a 3800 series 3 with a f40 6 speed, or just rebuild what i got, and find a 5 speed fiero tranny

We'll my car has gone 3800sc series 2
5spd
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i want a beefy 6 speed, im thinking 3800 series 3 brand new motor. bigger cam, roller rockers and lifters, ported and polished, over sized valves, maybe bored a little not sure. BUT i need a manual tranny to stand with it, motor is only as good as weakest link
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

well i want a beefy 6 speed, im thinking 3800 series 3 brand new motor. bigger cam, roller rockers and lifters, ported and polished, over sized valves, maybe bored a little not sure. BUT i need a manual tranny to stand with it, motor is only as good as weakest link

Your right.
I went with the wrong transmission in my swap because it's what i had, it's ok though once it goes I'll replace with something beefy or a six speed. The tranny I used is ok for daily driving but no hard pulls.. If you want to use the 5 spd fiero tranny make sure it's from a v6 fiero and not a 2.5 they are different I'm using the izusu not the best, one you want is the getrag
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how durable is the getrag ?? I would love a 5 speed over a 6 any day
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And thanks guys for the welcome, i stll have no clue how to upload images properly
code:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

I use Picturetrail.com for all my photos. Very simple to use, automaticly resizes any images. You simply select 'for forums' and copy. Then you just paste in the thread.

Whoever painted it was really lazy to just paint over the trunk decal. Takes 5 mins to remove it...sanding or scraping with a razorblade.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 06-17-2014).]

Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's ok I plan on going burnt orange with black accents and a carbon fibre hood if I can find one
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1 on the paint job.....That red should probably all come off.....don't trust the prep work.

Looks like an 85 GT to me.....check your VIN with this page. That 10th letter should be E or F.

http://www.nytmare.org/fiero/vin/fierovin.htm

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 06-17-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is e, I had the vin number ran just so I knew
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FWIW, I think you you a good canvas for a great car there. It just needs someone to love it. Everyone here will help because we love Fiero's to.

Jim
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, and I'm so glad I found this forum. It's been a lot of help so far and I have a feeling I will have a lot of relying on it in the near future. I really hope I can find some local fiero lovers with more wisdom of the car than I. I would like to have some other fieros to look at on person.
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So it is a 85?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's an 84 frame that someone with a lot of energy and talent tore down and put mostly an 85 GT back on it. There is a lot of labor there.

It will be interesting to see the various original colors of the body panels.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 06-17-2014).]

project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

...The "Fiero GT" decal has been painted over (I incorrectly told the OP through e-mail it was incorrect but I was wrong and had to readjust my eyes). Was probably painted over when the car was painted....

My WAAAAYYY out there guess is your car probably has a lot of parts on it from a 1985 GT.

Fiero84Freak, thank you for posting that photo for Vesquar, as well as your candid explanation re what you earlier conveyed to Vesquar incorrectly.

Vesquar, I now understand how you came to assert mistakenly, "fiero gt is molded into the deck lid".

After I expressed my skepticism about that "molded-into-the-deck-lid" hypothesis, perhaps the irony of all this is you were the first to speculate, "Unless it's a sticker and...it's painted over".

Your taking that photo of your Fiero's deck lid tells me that is exactly what happened: The "Fiero GT" identifier underneath the paint appears to have the same design, type font, size, and location of the "Fiero GT" sticker that is OEM-appropriate only on the deck lid from an `85 Fiero GT.
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so everyone here is going with 84 frame with 85 parts. Sounds good to me. This post has taught me a lot and for that thank you all for the help. Now I guess the next step is getting her cleaned up and take it around the block. But first I have to find my hood release latch. So if anyone has any idea where it is I would be much obliged.
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Vesquar

104 posts
Member since Jun 2014
Also in the pictures above there is a vent on the driver side behind the door but not on the passenger. What is that about ?? I am all about semetry and it's bugging the hell outta me. Why is it like that
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok so everyone here is going with 84 frame with 85 parts. Sounds good to me. This post has taught me a lot and for that thank you all for the help. Now I guess the next step is getting her cleaned up and take it around the block. But first I have to find my hood release latch. So if anyone has any idea where it is I would be much obliged.

My back decklid doesn't have a hood release latch I have to use the key to open it,

Or do you mean the front hood?
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The back of mine hasan electronic switch but it is broke, so I use the key. But I wa referring to th front. Sorry shoulda been more specific
PFF
System Bot
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also in the pictures above there is a vent on the driver side behind the door but not on the passenger. What is that about ?? I am all about semetry and it's bugging the hell outta me. Why is it like that

Side scoop vent for air intake?
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroCanada

195 posts
Member since Sep 2013

The back of mine hasan electronic switch but it is broke, so I use the key. But I wa referring to th front. Sorry shoulda been more specific

It's right under the side air vent by ur knee
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking intake but my god it's so unsemetrical and I hate it :P. And thanks I'll look when I get home for the hood release
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From the factory, there is only one intake. Aftermarket molds can be applied to both sides, but only the driver side is functional. Of course you can add anything you like to the passenger side. But to answer the question, that's just how they were manufactured.
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I will be looking into a vent for the passenger. Thank you
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest a Google image search for "Fiero Side Scoops". There are quite a number of fiberglass places that offer them, in a number of variations.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can get some beautiful sail panels from fierosails.com.

Make sure whomever does your side scoops gets them straight, so the ground effects fit up against them and match those around them.

Since you'll probably have the engine compartment open a lot, either pull the fuse or disconnect the trunk light so the battery doesn't go dead.

To save my interior, I usually cover the seats, carpet, steering wheel, handles, etc with plastic wrap or tin foil.

BTW, what is that wrapped around the shift boot?

On the web somewhere is a pre-flight checklist for Fieros. I recommend that you give that a run-through, to make sure things are OK before more issues develop. Then test your fuel pressure, O2 sensors, plug wires, and rotor/cap. Of, and check if the thermostat is in place. Sometimes those have been fiddled with or removed. I highly recommend getting the coolant flushed (after checking the tubes down the sides).
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

It's an 84 frame that someone...put mostly an 85 GT back on it.
How is one able to rule out the possibility that the whole car (as dobey alluded to yesterday) may simply be an `85 Fiero GT which has had its original `85 VIN replaced with an `84 VIN?

Ok so everyone here is going with 84 frame with 85 parts.
No, although I think you'd like to believe that because of your excitement over your Fiero purchase. It may indeed simply be an `84 frame with `85 parts, but I'm not yet totally convinced of that. From their comments on June 15th and 16th, respectively, it appears that neither were IMSA GT nor dobey.

Originally posted by tebailey:

...check to make sure the number stamped into the frame next to the steering column matches your vin number. PITA but it might be worth it to make sure you don't have a stolen 85.
Vesquar, unless you've already (as tebailey has suggested) checked to make sure the number stamped into the frame next to the steering column matches the `84 VIN atop your Fiero's dashboard (or the `84 frame itself has some unique, readily visible feature), I think it would be premature to jump to the conclusion that the car is simply comprised of `85 parts on an `84 frame.

Caveat emptor.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's ok I plan on going burnt orange with black accents and a carbon fibre hood if I can find one

I can make you a carbon fiber hood but it will cost you an arm and a leg. What I recommend is 3M carbon fiber vinyl and a good quality urethane clearcoat over the top. You will get the gloss/reflection of the carbon fiber plus the urethane clear has UV protection so the vinyl should last FAR beyond the manufacturers specs. Just a thought.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock