Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Knew it would happen... They crushed my coolant pipe.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Knew it would happen... They crushed my coolant pipe. by Mantioch
Started on: 06-12-2014 08:52 PM
Replies: 22 (1038 views)
Last post by: fastblack on 06-18-2014 12:16 AM
Mantioch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MantiochSend a Private Message to MantiochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I knew it would happen. Took my Fiero to Ken Towery to mount my new tires and wheels and DESPITE telling multiple people in both the office and garage about the pipes, the jackwangs bent the one on the driver side. Coolant everywhere. I have a good nature, and resolved not to be angry so long as they took care of it.

So, when I got there the guy starts with "well, it's an old car and really fragile and it is rusted out and sprung a leak." Now I'm pissed because not only have they ignored me and screwed up the car, but now he's trying to BS me. So I just glare at him and walk under the car, run my hand over the double dents in the pipe glare at the guy and say "how about we skip the part where you think I'm grotesquely stupid and get to the part where you admit you lifted the car wrong despite being told about it, and tell me what you are going to do to fix it."

So then he goes into patching with putty, to which I said no, you are not doing that and making it my problem when it starts leaking in a week. The manager then told me if I could get the part, they would reimburse me and put it on , free of charge of course. Getting all that in writing tomorrow...

Anywho... With the exception of finding one at a junkyard, it looks like West Coast Fiero sells full replacement tubes. Any other place that you guys know of where I can get a new pipe? It is the driver's side. 86 V6 SE 4spd

Thanks! Oh, on a happy note the wheels look good I will get pics later.

-Chris
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fiero store has them too

edit:
erm, well i though they did, i cant find them on their page.

[This message has been edited by hookdonspeed (edited 06-12-2014).]

Mantioch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MantiochSend a Private Message to MantiochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had thought so as well, but couldn't find one there or on Rodney's site.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of so called "our best techs" out there that are either stupid or lazy or both. I was working at Berger Motor Sales in Ionia, Michigan and had them do an alignment. I was in sales and talked to the service writer/manager and told him about the coolant tubes. He said I 'll have our top tech who has been with us XX years work on it. Guess what? Idiot put the lift arms on the coolant tubes. So it doesn't mater if it is a neighborhood shop or a Dealership they all have stupid or lazy or both techs!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Junkyard is your best bet.... I have seen them sell for $20, but in your case it won't matter.. Because they are low-grade stainless, nearly all are still good. You should get it yourself and charge them for labor and shipping.

I just recently went through the same thing, but they did a good job. I was nagging the tech the whole time....."Are you SURE you have the right spot???"
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got mine from a local u-pull yard. According to the Fiero parts book, the drivers side tube fits 1985-1987. I think your only 2 options are junk yard or WCF.

These guys are in Louisville http://isapickpullsave.com/inventorypage/ according to their inventory, they have an 85 Fiero in the yard.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 06-12-2014).]

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check with this part-out.
dean47

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dean47Send a Private Message to dean47Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how much do used pipes go for?

[This message has been edited by dean47 (edited 06-12-2014).]

notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do not understand why those tubes cannot be replaced by properly supported non-metal tubing of the right internal diameter.
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh that sucks! When I take mine to a new shop I supervise them the first time it goes on a lift. And if they pull that "we can't let you in the service bay because of insurance" I take my business elsewhere. I was raised in the Army to "Trust, BUT VERIFY!". And when it comes to my Silver Baby that goes double! Here is to hoping your story ends well...

[This message has been edited by jediperk (edited 06-13-2014).]

weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set in my parts storage. Actually 2 sets if I remember correctly. They are rather long though so shipping would be a PITA. I did see somewhere, someone is selling two piece units with a rubber coupling and hose clamps. Maybe the Fiero Store?

This is exactly why I refuse to let anyone lift either of our Fiero's. Unless I am in the shop setting the lift forget it.

Maybe try posting a WTB ad in the PFF Mall section? Sorry to hear about this and good luck getting it fixed!
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dean47:

how much do used pipes go for?

I paid $15 for mine from the PNP
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Factory in Tony, AL should have them also but I have no idea as to shipping cost.

http://www.thefierofactory.com/

Nelson
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fiero store ones are for the engine, not the under car ones.
Mantioch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MantiochSend a Private Message to MantiochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I sent a PM to Reaper on his part out and checked out the pick/pull. I am going to try to swing by there right after work. Appreciate all of the support! Next time, I'm going to put her up on blocks, pull the wheels then bring them back!
Canyonflyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanyonflyerSend a Private Message to CanyonflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Call the Fiero store and talk to them. When stuff isn't in stock it immediately disappears from the website. They've also had issues with vendors as well going out of business and disappearing with the tooling.

With the trouble I've had with auto shops (not just with Fieros) I tend to do all my own work on the car. The 2000 dollar investment on a 2 post MaxJax lift in my shop was well worth the investment. I don't even bring my car down for tires. I'll just remove the wheels myself and take them in.

I'm considering buying a used wheel alignment system just because I can't get anyone around to do that right either. When it comes to camber adjustment on the front wheels, they don't touch it... say they messed with it then come up with some BS story on how they tried everything and need to modify the control arms to get it to work. It'll only cost $400 in labor. It's funny because I've already modified the balljoint slots on both of my cars. These shops, all of them, are just full of real winners.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is why I never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, NEVER, EVER, let any one in a service center or similar place use a jack or post lift to raise my Fiero. In fact, I pretty much just never take my Fiero in these type places. The last time I needed tires, I removed all four, left the Fiero on jack stands all the way around, and took my wheels and tires in another car and had the tire place mount them.

You can tell a place like this up and down how to properly do something on your car and they still won't get it right. I will say though, the next time (if there is a next time) you take your car in for service print out this diagram and hand it to the service guy/gal. A visual representation can go a lot better than spoken word.

GreenPlatypus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GreenPlatypusSend a Private Message to GreenPlatypusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So that was your red SE at Ken Towery's on Shelbyville I saw on my way home from work. Nice looking car, had to do a double take. Sucks they crushed the pipe, the only way I have found to avoid that is to set the rack on the car and work on it myself.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I said a while ago when I get my next Fiero I'm going to paint the areas for lifting a neon color and tell them not to miss when I'm over their shoulder.
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any luck yet?

[This message has been edited by jediperk (edited 06-15-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Mantioch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MantiochSend a Private Message to MantiochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, that was me on Shelbyville Road! They did tow her home for me as I wasn't comfortable keeping her there overnight continuously. I still have not located a full replacement tube, but I still need to double check with the FieroStore. I was able to temporarily stop the leak with some JB Weld (don't judge, desperate times call for...well, a crappy solution). They did agree to foot the bill for a replacement if I can find one. Nothing in writing, of course. We'll just have to see how it plays out.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get the labor part in writing (obviously) and be sure they're covering ALL of it. If I recall correctly the driver's side tube was the SOB to get in and out.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock