Hey guys! by jesselamb
Started on: 06-11-2014 06:11 AM
Replies: 14 (292 views)
Last post by: zmcdonal on 06-16-2014 07:24 PM
jesselamb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jesselambSend a Private Message to jesselambEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guy's!

So I'm saving up for my next car as my saturn is going the way of the dinosaurs.

However the car before the saturn was a regal gs with some mods but I scraped it when the sub frame rotted and broke.

So I'm looking and the fiero with the intention of a 3800sc swap with the automatic trans.

So what I was looking for was some info of what model fiero is better for the swap.

I've looked on my local cl and seen the 4cyl and v6 car's.

The 4cyl cars go alot cheaper then the v6 and since I'm gonna swap it I figure I'd go with the 4cycl but if its more work the v6 I'm willing to spend the money for the v6 car.

I assume the main thing is manual or auto since I'm gonna use the auto trans I will try to find a car with the auto trans,
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go with the automatic and go with the V6 if you can (if you go with the four banger you will have to adjust the tach to read a six cylinder). If you have no preference in body style, the 88's came with a much better suspension, brakes and steering (steering feel/effort is much better in the 88's IMHO). You will pay a premium for an 88 over the other model years, but if you see how much it costs to upgrade the suspension and brakes of an 84-87 MY to a comparable level you will come to realize quickly that the up front premium of the 88 is worth it. Now, the con of going with the 88 is that because it was produced for only one year and did not share many of its new parts with any other GM cars some of those parts are a lot more expensive than the 84-87 MY's.

That's my take on it. I'm sure the veterans on here will chime in with more pro's and con's that should help you make a wise decision. Also, check out the mall as there are a few cars for sale there right now...
Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You had me until you said automatic.

And welcome to the forum.

------------------
2002 Audi Allroad. Tip. 100% Natural. (FOR SALE)
2011 VW Golf. (Wife's Wheels)
2002 VW Jetta (FOR SALE)
1984 Pontiac Fiero 4 speed Duke.

jesselamb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jesselambSend a Private Message to jesselambEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info!

I've been looking at this one http://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/4481937971.html

But I dont quite have 2k saved up so I'm sure it will be gone before I get enough but thats about what I can find for that price around here.

I missed out on a non running gt for 400 bucks last week so Ill keep searching.
jesselamb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jesselambSend a Private Message to jesselambEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jesselamb

7 posts
Member since Jun 2014

Originally posted by Dotrenrew:

You had me until you said automatic.

And welcome to the forum.

I know I want the man peddle and I have one in the saturn but I had a spill on a bike and my knees just can not handle the traffic with the clutch.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look hard for rust though too, Fieros can hide it well.

Here is an example of rust you cannot see easily when the plastic panels are on:
(This one includes bend damage)
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

What it should look like:

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Pulling the trunk carpet back and looking in the corners is quick and easy and can be an indicator of how bad rust is elseware. Also reaching in above the rear wheel past the plastic liner for metal. Also of course getting under the car with a flash light.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-11-2014).]

jesselamb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jesselambSend a Private Message to jesselambEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Look hard for rust though too, Fieros can hide it well.

Here is an example of rust you cannot see easily when the plastic panels are on:

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

What it should look like:

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Pulling the trunk carpet back and looking in the corners is quick and easy and can be an indicator of how bad rust is elseware. Also reaching in above the rear wheel past the plastic liner for metal. Also of course getting under the car with a flash light.

Thanks for the info!
jesselamb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jesselambSend a Private Message to jesselambEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jesselamb

7 posts
Member since Jun 2014
So doing some reading around here and find that the 3400 is a direct swap ?

Would I need to change out any wiring or the ecu ?
goatvenom

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatvenomSend a Private Message to goatvenomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,
all you need to do is drill the starter location bolts and put the engine in the car it will run as if it were a 2.8 with a bit more power.

also i live less than 20 miles from ypsi. let me know if you need any assistance pm me. i could show you what to look for on mine and what you should leave alone if you desire.

Ryan
jesselamb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jesselambSend a Private Message to jesselambEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by goatvenom:

Hello,
all you need to do is drill the starter location bolts and put the engine in the car it will run as if it were a 2.8 with a bit more power.

also i live less than 20 miles from ypsi. let me know if you need any assistance pm me. i could show you what to look for on mine and what you should leave alone if you desire.

Ryan

Sounds good! I think the biggest challenge is most likely I will end up with a 4cyl car.
Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jesselamb:

I know I want the man peddle and I have one in the saturn but I had a spill on a bike and my knees just can not handle the traffic with the clutch.

Ha ha! Man pedal . I've never heard that one before. I totally understand about knees and clutch pedals. Actually, my next Fiero will have to be an automatic so my wife can drive it.

I'll keep my eyes open up here in Lansing for a good project car for you. I check craigslist everyday. You may have good luck on the west side of the state. There seem to be a bunch over there.
PFF
System Bot
Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dotrenrew

329 posts
Member since Jan 2013
This may be a good project car.

You would have to look at it to see if it's worth $750.

http://grandrapids.craigsli.../cto/4473126503.html
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jesselamb:

So doing some reading around here and find that the 3400 is a direct swap ?

Would I need to change out any wiring or the ecu ?

Guys,

The push rod 3.4 engine (93-95 Firebird/Camero) is a direct swap after you relocate the starter and add a few Fiero bits. I am not certain about the 3400 but do not believe that it is a direct swap as is the 3.4 engine. Check this info out before you commit to a specific engine.

Nelson
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try to avoid buying an 84 and get a 85 n up.
Also if your going 3.8sc don't use the auto tranny from the fiero it will blow take the tranny from the 3.8 donor car
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/069400.html
This would make a good swap candidate. Nice rust free chassis. If your interested make me an offer.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock