Factory Convertible pic by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 05-19-2014 08:52 PM
Replies: 15 (935 views)
Last post by: FieroFanatic13 on 05-23-2014 02:09 PM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found this pic on Ebay. Purported to be a factory photo. Sure wish they had put that one into production. I like it a lot better than some of the aftermarket conversions I've seen in pictures.

------------------
My rides...
1988 GT with a 3.4L V6 automatic
2006 Harley Sportster
'cause I love the twisties on two wheels or four.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
OverKill

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OverKillSend a Private Message to OverKillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kind of looks like the 62 mustang concept car.

I like it though

------------------
Ethan

1985 Base "The Mongoose" under the knife 472 turbo build

1988 Formula daily driver

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For several years during the 1980s, Pontiac featured huge illuminated monoliths that seemed to hover over the cars, including the gold-tone Fiero convertible concept from 1984. Rumored as a production possibility, the Chicago Tribune referred to convertible as a "show stopper." Launched that same year, the production plastic-bodied, mid-engine Fiero coupe was built through 1988, but never was released as a roadster.

msrservices

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msrservicesClick Here to visit msrservices's HomePageSend a Private Message to msrservicesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Here is a shot from the Pontiac Automobile Museum of some literature they have.

[This message has been edited by msrservices (edited 05-20-2014).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not really practical... no top

The Automoda was the closest to having the best top layout, but there were others that worked well also.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why do they always call convertibles "Spyder"?
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM's Fiero convertible: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-1-067201.html

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 05-20-2014).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A "Spyder" is a two seat convertible, you won't usually see a four sear convertible referred to as a Spyder.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Csjag

3170 posts
Member since Dec 2013
I have seen quite a few custom car builders like Chip Foose chop off the tops on cars and finish them as convertibles with no tops. Does anyone make a targa kit for the Fiero, it would seem like a natural thing to do with the way the roof is designed on the notchback.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:
A "Spyder" is a two seat convertible, you won't usually see a four sear convertible referred to as a Spyder.

Mitsubishi Eclipse is a off-the-top-of-head exception I can think of. Also the rather rare 3000 GT Spyders were four-seats. I believe Mitsu used the term more as a marketing tool however. A four seat "Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder" sounds a heck of a lot better than a four seat "Mitsubishi Eclipse Convertible."

Some one up in the northern US has put up for sale every so often a purported factory spyder Fiero similar to the white bumper pad car and that gold tone aero car. It's a red Fiero with aero fascias. Every time it comes up for sale it never seems to actually sell. It's a true spyder roadster so it too doesn't actually have a working top, relegating it to having to be stored in an enclosed space.

(edit because spell-check keeps wanting to change spyder to spider)

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 05-20-2014).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

Why do they always call convertibles "Spyder"?

my 5 minutes of research suggest the following:

"As with other automotive terms, the term derives from horse-drawn carriages. A "spider" was a lighter version of a phaeton, having narrower, spindly wheels and two-seat accommodation. The name implied an extremely rudimentary top mechanism originating from a small two-seat horse-cart with a folding sunshade made of four bows; with its black cloth top and exposed sides for air circulation it resembled an eight-legged spider. This term was subsequently applied to automobiles.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-20-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its also a location thing. Europeans always call them spyders or cabriolets. Americans call them convertibles, or roadsters if there is no provision for a top.
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1985 Fiero GT convertible For Sale in Prince George B.C. Canada (not mine).
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars...hNavigationFlag=true

1986 Fiero convertible For Sale in Petite Rocher New Brunswick Canada (not mine).
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars...hNavigationFlag=true

[This message has been edited by canfirst (edited 05-22-2014).]

gem1138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It reminds be of this a little but the Fiero looks much better. Of course the Mustang I is 25 years older:
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gem1138:

It reminds be of this a little but the Fiero looks much better. Of course the Mustang I is 25 years older:

I still LOVE that car...and my 1st car was a 641/2 mustang.
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was also a fastback based concept convertible that had a side opening clamshell for a rear clip, complete with fastback tail lights. It is pictured in the Witzenberg book for sure, probably elsewhere too.

As noted already, the car with the humps behind the seats had no roof- it was updated with gt bodywork at some point with more gold-ish paint as well.

I've actually exchanged some emails with one of the concept engineers who worked on the convertibles.

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 05-23-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock