What is under your hood? by Dotrenrew
Started on: 05-17-2014 06:50 PM
Replies: 17 (623 views)
Last post by: hercimer01 on 05-20-2014 09:51 AM
Dotrenrew

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen people leave their spare tire and jack under their hood. I have also seen people put their battery up there. And even a new fuel cell. But I can't be the only one who thought about turning the tub into a cooler for car shows and cruise ins.

Is it a bad idea?

------------------
2002 Audi Allroad. Tip. 100% Natural. (FOR SALE)
2011 VW Golf. (Wife's Wheels)
2002 VW Jetta (FOR SALE)
1984 Pontiac Fiero 4 speed Duke.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a keg set-up in the trunk of my old 62 Ford. Plumbed it into the back seat, would not try that today, but in the 60's it was cool.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bees.
Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

I had a keg set-up in the trunk of my old 62 Ford. Plumbed it into the back seat, would not try that today, but in the 60's it was cool.

Yes, the authorities frown on stuff like that anymore. I was just thinking of throwing a couple bags of ice over some sodas and waters so I can have some ice cold beverages during some car shows. And to be able to offer some up to fellow car enthusiasts. There is already the little drain hole in the bottom. It seems simple enough.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dotrenrew:

... But I can't be the only one who thought about turning the tub into a cooler for car shows and cruise ins.

A better place to do that is the rear trunk. Remove the carpet, fill with drinks and ice, simply let ice melt through trunk seams at bottom (or install a physical drain plug), when done wipe it all down, re-install carpet.
msrservices

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msrservicesClick Here to visit msrservices's HomePageSend a Private Message to msrservicesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a cool idea.

Let me know when you'll be at a show, and I'll stop by for a cold drink.

Originally posted by Dotrenrew:

I have seen people leave their spare tire and jack under their hood. I have also seen people put their battery up there. And even a new fuel cell. But I can't be the only one who thought about turning the tub into a cooler for car shows and cruise ins.

Is it a bad idea?

NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

A better place to do that is the rear trunk. Remove the carpet, fill with drinks and ice, simply let ice melt through trunk seams at bottom (or install a physical drain plug), when done wipe it all down, re-install carpet.

Ive put a cooler in my rear trunk and drove for about 2 hours and the ice had already melted. Its way too warm in there to make an ice chest. Also with water running in there wouldnt that create rust issues later? Even if you wipe it down? I like the front idea better. Its cooler and made of plastic. I may try that!
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Bees.

I almost sprayed my laptop with coffee.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
flux capacitor
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEVERDONE:

...I like the front idea better. Its cooler...

I dunno, mine gets pretty warm up there from the heat off the radiator. I'll take the sunroof glass out from time to time on really nice days and go for a cruise. When I get home and go to put the sunroof glass back the glass is pretty danged warm. This is of course after a long drive.

MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I now have my battery up under the passenger side headlight and I still have the front battery box in mine from V-8 Archie. In that battery box I have my terminals, wiring and relays for my HID headlights.

In the back with the 3800 SC III swap, it used to get way hot in the rear trunk. The muffler was close to the one spot in the trunk and when I took a trip to Daytona Beach for spring one time it actually caught the carpeting and one of my suitcases on fire. There wasn't enough oxygen to flame up, but it charcoaled a lot of stuff. I with help from Frank and some of the other Florida Fiero group jammed a piece of steel in there to push it away from the trunk to get back home.

Then I pulled the burnt carpet and installed a fiberglass weld blanket under a new carpet to keep it from burning up again. This last winter I had olejoedad work on my engine and engine compartment and one of the things he did was to move the muffler away from the trunk wall and then he painted it with ceramic paint I bought and then he also wrapped the exhaust, the muffler and the tail pipes with fiberglass muffler wrap. Now the trunk is relatively cool and I don't have heat troubles anymore. So that is an option to help keep it cooler in both the engine compartment and in the rear trunk. I just don't think you want to fiberglass wrap the exhaust and muffler unless you ceramic coat everything. If you don't you might end up with the exhaust being eaten away by rust.
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some water jugs, brake fluid, spare lights, stick to hold the hood up and dirt lots of dirt.
Snapperhead

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have dual batteries one under each headlight. My custom mirror set and I kept the spare, jack and a little tool bag,

Vince
Ravant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right now? A hole straight to the crossmember, brake lines, steering rack and the ground. Working on putting it all back together once it's cleaned of the stench of mouse/rat piss.
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

stick to hold the hood up and dirt lots of dirt.

thought that was a factory accessory

[This message has been edited by fireboss (edited 05-19-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my GT

More: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...031110-1-025672.html

In my Indy

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-20-2014).]

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

In my Indy

Now that's clean!
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not mine but its my favorite.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap
12.840@104.8 MPH Intense-Racing 1.9 rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.4 pulley, ZZP tune and 18 year old tires.

88 Coupe under construction

88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap SOLD

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock