headers for my gm 3800 sc engine ->87 GT by kgoodyear
Started on: 05-13-2014 09:32 PM
Replies: 10 (750 views)
Last post by: dobey on 05-14-2014 04:55 PM
kgoodyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking to purchase a set of headers to go on a 3800 SC series 2 engine swap going into my 87 GT. I want to have a header for each side and made of stainless and built to last. Does anyone know who can help me out?

------------------
Goody

The beauty of a solution lies in its simplicity

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Speed Daddy! 😉
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i wouldn't be quick to use headers unless you're gonna use other mods. i think you're gonna lose low end torque with headers (while gaining high end HP) . i wish i would have tried the stock exhaust manifolds b4 using headers on mine.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very interesting. I will run this by my mechanic. Thanks for the heads up.

------------------
Goody

The beauty of a solution lies in its simplicity

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Highly suggest the "pace setter" style headers (with the Y pipe). There is an ebay version that is very cheap and very good for fieros.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I looked on ebay but don't have any idea which one to get. I am doing the shopping for my mechanic.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with nosrac. I bought speed dady for a bout $100
they are like the pacesetter. Only issue I had was the exhaust flange had to be notched back a bit to clear the head stud on one side not sure why just one and not all but that was it .
------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 05-14-2014).]

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

Here you go

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/066447.html

I like this guy but he isn't making them anymore. He does beautiful work. I'm just running into dead ends when I look for these.
Keep in mind, I'm the money man and not the mechanic behind this project so I don't know a lot of the details and I'm trying to take some of the load off my mechanic by doing the R and D.
Can I assume these mufflers have to be custom built for a 3800SC 87GT engine swap? HELP!
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-14-2014 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

i wouldn't be quick to use headers unless you're gonna use other mods. i think you're gonna lose low end torque with headers (while gaining high end HP) . i wish i would have tried the stock exhaust manifolds b4 using headers on mine.

Not quite true, and greatly depends on the header design. This is more true for equal length long tubes, but not so much for shorties, for example. Way too many variables to make a general statement like that. Also, header is just a colloquial term for an exhaust manifold. A custom made header with the same size and design of a factory manifold will perform just about as well (slightly better), but make the engine bay look a whole lot better, especially with ceramic coating, for those who want to show their car.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-14-2014 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by kgoodyear:
I like this guy but he isn't making them anymore. He does beautiful work. I'm just running into dead ends when I look for these.
Keep in mind, I'm the money man and not the mechanic behind this project so I don't know a lot of the details and I'm trying to take some of the load off my mechanic by doing the R and D.
Can I assume these mufflers have to be custom built for a 3800SC 87GT engine swap? HELP!

Find a local performance shop that makes custom exhaust for track cars, show them the picture of the exhaust design you want, and see if they can make you an exhaust at a reasonable price.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock