88 rotor sources by Swampthing
Started on: 05-08-2014 10:15 PM
Replies: 22 (536 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 05-11-2014 09:39 AM
Swampthing

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SwampthingSend a Private Message to SwampthingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the rotors in my 88 coupe are warped and causing it to shake, I'm planning on doing Pads and rotors but i am having trouble finding 88 rotors except through rockauto and I don't particularly want to pay their exorbitant shipping costs. Has anyone found a stock rotor from something else that can replace an 88 rotor?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Swampthing:

So the rotors in my 88 coupe are warped and causing it to shake, I'm planning on doing Pads and rotors but i am having trouble finding 88 rotors except through rockauto and I don't particularly want to pay their exorbitant shipping costs. Has anyone found a stock rotor from something else that can replace an 88 rotor?

Ebay all day long....
Swampthing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SwampthingSend a Private Message to SwampthingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd rather not go the eBay route, I would prefer to find something I could source from my local advance auto parts since I can coupon code the price down
Pegasus88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pegasus88GTSend a Private Message to Pegasus88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a set of ceramic pads and drilled rotors on ebay for my 88 about two years ago. They work great. Not sure of the brand though.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Front Rotors for a I believe early to mid nineties cavlier fit the rear of 88 Fiero. I may have the part number some place. I used them on my 88 more than once.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Try Rock Auto
StreetRod4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StreetRod4Send a Private Message to StreetRod4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brakeperformance.com
Swampthing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SwampthingSend a Private Message to SwampthingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Front Rotors for a I believe early to mid nineties cavlier fit the rear of 88 Fiero. I may have the part number some place. I used them on my 88 more than once.

I thought 88s used the same rotors front/rear why would the cavalier rotors only fit the rear? Like I said, I can coupon advance auto down to a dirt cheap price and avoid the terrible shipping rates from rockauto
FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know RockAuto's shipping is really high, but still cheaper then local parts stores. Just ordered a couple AC Delco rotors from them this past Moday. Still waiting for them to ship.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I thought 88s used the same rotors front/rear why would the cavalier rotors only fit the rear? Like I said, I can coupon advance auto down to a dirt cheap price and avoid the terrible shipping rates from rockauto

The Grand AM rotors only fit over wheel flanges that are 5.070" and smaller diameter. The all Fiero rear wheel bearings are smaller than this, so they fit just fine. However, the 88 front wheel flange is about 5.75" and is much too large to fit. While the 88 specific rotors are very similar to the Grand Am ones, they accept a much larger wheel flange and are the same front/rear.

If you really wanted to, you could have the wheel flange on the 88 front bearings turned down to about 5.061" and then the cheaper/more common Grand Am Rotors would fit both front/rear.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The Grand AM rotors only fit over wheel flanges that are 5.070" and smaller diameter. The all Fiero rear wheel bearings are smaller than this, so they fit just fine. However, the 88 front wheel flange is about 5.75" and is much too large to fit. While the 88 specific rotors are very similar to the Grand Am ones, they accept a much larger wheel flange and are the same front/rear.

If you really wanted to, you could have the wheel flange on the 88 front bearings turned down to about 5.061" and then the cheaper/more common Grand Am Rotors would fit both front/rear.

Cavalier/Sunbird rotors. (are they the same as the Grand Am?)

There's a thread on here somewhere where someone did turn down the mounting flange on 88 front hubs to use those rotors all the way around. I don't think there's any safety concern since that's the size flange that was used on the Cavalier.
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So the rotors in my 88 coupe are warped and causing it to shake, I'm planning on doing Pads and rotors but i am having trouble finding 88 rotors except through rockauto and I don't particularly want to pay their exorbitant shipping costs.

I'd try finding used ones and having them machined but that may not be an option if you don't have junkyards nearby or the time to look in them.

Autozone and Advance both have '88 rotors but checking them just now they list them as "Ship to Home" only. I wonder if they could get them in-store, if you insisted on it?

Are you sure your rotors are warped? Could it be just some foreign material behind the rotor, or on the rotor surface itself? I have an Impala and until I tried some different pads, it used to leave some sort of deposits or rust or something on the rotors right where the pads are if I didn't drive it for awhile. It would wear off of course but it was annoying.

notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NAPA has them. not in the store but in their warehouse. I just checked
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got some for my 88 off eBay, they were drilled, slotted, zinc coated and cost $67.50 a set which was about the same cost as AutoZone. Well worth it for the zinc coating alone and the drilled slotted part was just for the looks, not function. 88 2M4  Look up Advance brake technology, according to them they are made in the USA too and not in China like the AZ/Advance rotors which suck (got some for my F150 last year)

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 05-09-2014).]

Swampthing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SwampthingSend a Private Message to SwampthingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Advance no longer has any stock, when you select ship to home it says only a quantity of "0" is available
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BRAKE ROTORS

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 05-09-2014).]

KVCFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KVCFIEROSend a Private Message to KVCFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know someone with a like new set. Might get them at a good price
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
Cavalier/Sunbird rotors. (are they the same as the Grand Am?)

Yes, same rotor.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year rotors work with the Grand Am vented upgrade for the Fiero?
Fierobruiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobruiserSend a Private Message to FierobruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rotors off a 90's Cavalier will fit on the rear of a 88 without any mods but the larger front hub on 88 will not clear without a little grinding out of center hole of the rotor! (1/4-1/2") A Cavalier rotor is way cheaper and easier to find!
Raybestos 56543 Rock Auto $28.79 Wagner BD61856 Rock Auto $19.08 (2 remaining)

Here's a link to an old thread from 2003
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040223-2-037620.html
Fierobruiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobruiserSend a Private Message to FierobruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fierobruiser

1951 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Originally posted by jscott1:

What year rotors work with the Grand Am vented upgrade for the Fiero?

Check out this article from way back when

http://fierozone.tripod.com/realbrakes/index.html

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobruiser:

Check out this article from way back when

http://fierozone.tripod.com/realbrakes/index.html

Thanks for the decade old (but still useful) information.

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry this old brain cant recall at the moment but do a search. All I know is IT works on the rear. Something about the front hub.... but my old brain at the moment doesnt recall it. BUT The rears work and work great! If you need the Napa number I can look through my old receipts. They are cheaper and getting the super deluxe rotors they last longer! So no need to get ripped off by ebay.

I see it is already covered.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 05-11-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock