Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  NASA Track Weekend at Buttonwillow April 5 and 6 (Central CA)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
NASA Track Weekend at Buttonwillow April 5 and 6 (Central CA) by Steven Snyder
Started on: 03-29-2014 03:46 AM
Replies: 11 (391 views)
Last post by: Tony Kania on 06-23-2014 08:50 AM
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Racing season is in full swing, and NASA is running their first Buttonwillow event of the year next weekend.

NASA runs HPDE (High Performance Driving Experience) groups between race groups. These are open track events for any car that can pass a basic tech/safety inspection. You will also need a recent Snell-approved helmet.

The beginner group (HPDE1) is full for Saturday but there is room on Sunday. You get an instructor in the car all day for no extra charge. HPDE2/3/4 is available both days for those of you with prior track experience that do not need an instructor.

I will be running in HPDE3 with my '88 DOHC Fiero.

Hope to see some of you there!

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 04-03-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pokeyfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know I would love to go but I sold that krazy DOHC. Never had time to race it and it was trouble for me on the street.
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tempting

------------------
Red 1988 GT 5 speed LQ1 Powered
Poly all around, Koni's and Lowered
Items for sale - cradle support - 3800 tranny mounts
http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/ww339/CC_Rider/

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

You know I would love to go but I sold that krazy DOHC. Never had time to race it and it was trouble for me on the street.

What are you driving now? Doesn't need to be fast... I took my 110 whp Subaru Outback to an event last year!
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CC Rider:

Tempting

It would be awesome to have another Fiero there with me.. but even more awesome to have another 3.4 DOHC Fiero! Come on down!
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a few days left.. anyone coming?

Also I just found out there is room in HPDE1 (beginner group) for Sunday. You get an instructor in your car all day for no extra charge.

Looks like you can still register online but I think only until midnight tonight: http://nasaproracing.com/event/1836

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 04-03-2014).]

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another epic weekend at Buttonwillow Raceway!

I installed a brake proportioning adapter from aaron88 on Friday before heading to the track, and dialed in some more rear brake bias. HOLY $#!&! Adding some more rear brake bias transformed the car. Three major things happened: 1) The front brakes no longer overheat after a few hot laps, because they aren't working as hard now that the rears do something. 2) Overall braking is SIGNIFICANTLY increased. I had trouble locking up the brakes. It just stopped harder and harder and harder. Braking was very progressive. 3) I can now brake hard enough without locking up that the brake pedal is finally down to the height of the gas pedal.... which means heel-toeing is finally possible. Fanastic!

I also installed adjustable upper control arms used them to get -3 camber and +10 caster up front. Front tire wear is pretty damn good now. Not much mid-corner understeer, though there still is a bit. The car is stable enough with my tire package and alignment settings to drop the throttle a bit and get the nose to tuck in, but I'd rather be able to stay in it and have the car rotate some. I'm going to work on swaybars next -- I'm still not running a rear bar but it seems that now the time is right.

I spent Saturday getting up to speed and working on corners, but on Sunday I kept running into a tire temperature wall when I tried to push it for more than a lap. The track surface was just too hot around mid-day to really set a fast lap time. I also backed out a bit too due obvious signs of excessive oil temperature -- blowing oil smoke exiting the Off Ramp (slow, very tight banked right hander) and lots of lifter tap. Even the guys on race tires were losing a second or two versus their morning times, probably due to overheating their tires.

I pulled into the paddock after a cooldown lap and measured my oil pan temp with an IR gun -- 250 degrees F. Yikes. That means probably at least 280*F when I'm pushing it in the middle of the day. I plan to install an oil cooler before the next hot track weekend.

Almost everyone went home before the final session of the day, but they missed out big time... a cool breeze picked up and the track temperature dropped to match the air temp.

I set a new personal best on Buttonwillow's #13 clockwise configuration: 2:09.9. Hell ya!

Lap video:

Also, the lead instructor for HPDE 3 followed me around a bit on Sunday and said I'm ready to move up to HPDE4. Just a stone's throw away from Time Trials now! I'm going to start seriously assessing my car against the competition rules to see if it's possible to be competitive in any class.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 04-09-2014).]

Fiero Racer 64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero Racer 64Send a Private Message to Fiero Racer 64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Steven,

Very cool to see you racing with NASA!!! Glad to see you moving up through the HPDE's as well. Thats great experience and a great learning tool to take you up to TT and Comp (if you desire to). I myself have ran with NASA (Central Region) in the past and am currently building a car to run in the ST3 Comp Class. I previously ran enduros and a few comp races (PTE Class) races with the car before I basically started over. I am just finishing up building a 3800SC III to put in it. I've got all aftermarket front and rear suspension on it, and just purchased the adjustable sway bars from a PFF member. I've got the Wilwood 12" brakes on it with dual master cylinders as well. I haven't had it out since I've put them on and am very anxious to see how they do. Anyway just wanted to say keep up the good work and good luck man!!!! I'll be following your posts!!!

Sweet looking car by the way!!!

------------------
WInning Isn't Everything, Wanting Too Is...

[This message has been edited by Fiero Racer 64 (edited 04-10-2014).]

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Racer 64:

Steven,

Very cool to see you racing with NASA!!! Glad to see you moving up through the HPDE's as well. Thats great experience and a great learning tool to take you up to TT and Comp (if you desire to). I myself have ran with NASA (Central Region) in the past and am currently building a car to run in the ST3 Comp Class. I previously ran enduros and a few comp races (PTE Class) races with the car before I basically started over. I am just finishing up building a 3800SC III to put in it. I've got all aftermarket front and rear suspension on it, and just purchased the adjustable sway bars from a PFF member. I've got the Wilwood 12" brakes on it with dual master cylinders as well. I haven't had it out since I've put them on and am very anxious to see how they do. Anyway just wanted to say keep up the good work and good luck man!!!! I'll be following your posts!!!

Sweet looking car by the way!!!

Thanks!

Your project sounds impressive. Do you have a build thread or any photos of the car?
Fiero Racer 64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero Racer 64Send a Private Message to Fiero Racer 64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

Thanks!

Your project sounds impressive. Do you have a build thread or any photos of the car?

I did have a build thead of the car when we built it for the enduros in 2011. I haven't updated it since I tore it down to rebuild it for full out racing.
Here is the link: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-084187.html

I took a couple years off to race Formula Vee's, but now plan to get back to getting the car on the track. I should probably either start a new build thread or update the old one to the current build status. I'll post a couple of pics here, but I don't want to take away from your thread. If you have any questions feel free to ask or PM me. I'm still learning as well so not sure how much help i could really be, but I'll try.

------------------
WInning Isn't Everything, Wanting Too Is...

[This message has been edited by Fiero Racer 64 (edited 04-11-2014).]

FOSD_PREZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FOSD_PREZClick Here to visit FOSD_PREZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to FOSD_PREZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Steven,
I am considering attending the NASA event at Willow Springs on July 12-13. I want to see how the 3.4 DOHC does. Are you going?

Larry
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-23-2014 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to watch the video several times. So much going on. Just extremely cool to watch you go around the track. Thanks for posting. This set the tone for my day. Just awesome!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock