What is What in the Engine Bay? by DKcustoms
Started on: 01-19-2014 03:00 PM
Replies: 4 (494 views)
Last post by: DKcustoms on 01-20-2014 05:13 PM
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2014 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a little background info, I have a 1986 SE with a 4 speed. It had the v6 but was removed before I bought the car and is sitting in my dad's shed in pieces.

I will be swapping in a 3800 SC engine sometime soon, with EGR delete, EVAP delete, and no #2 O2 sensor, among other things.

So I am trying to clean up the engine bay and I just wanted to ask the guys who know these cars best.
Firstly, I believe this to be the EVAP canister, and obviously I won't need it anymore and the lines that run to and from it. If someone can confirm that I would appreciate it.

Secondly, what are these two pipes that come out of the trunk wall? A wild guess would say that they are for the A/C, but I honestly have no idea.

Lastly, I just put the new wiring harness into the car, and would like to secure the two halves of the wiring harness where the taillights connect to each other. Does anyone know how to get the old bolt out of the old wiring harness to use in the new one, or what size bolt would substitute?
This is the bold I'm talking about

Also, for those of you who have done this swap, where did you mount the new ECM? The stock location under the center console is too small and the computer hits on the shift cables, among other things.

Thanks for any and all tips

[This message has been edited by DKcustoms (edited 01-19-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2014 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First pic - Yes - it's the evap canister - it can be removed if your local laws don't require it for emissions, inspection, etc.

Second pic - cooling tubes for alternator and coil/ignition. Not required for the 3800SC conversion. Pull the trunk carpet and you will see the fan connected to the cooling tubes

No idea about the bolt!

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 01-19-2014).]

DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2014 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help!
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
leave the bolt alone, just clean it up. No need to swap it out. Keep it simple, you will have so many more challenges ahead of you, leave the little things alone. Trust me, that little bolt is the least of your issues. Not trying to sound like a smart a**, but after a half dozen engine swaps, I know what you have ahead of you.

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, LS376 and a GT clip
88 GT, SIII 3800NA/Auto swap underway
LS Build Thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/083204.html
LS on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAH9yjw6XR0
3800 build thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089035.html

DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

leave the bolt alone, just clean it up. No need to swap it out. Keep it simple, you will have so many more challenges ahead of you, leave the little things alone. Trust me, that little bolt is the least of your issues. Not trying to sound like a smart a**, but after a half dozen engine swaps, I know what you have ahead of you.

Rob

The bolt is in the old wiring harness, I need a new bolt for my new wiring harness.
It uses the same connector obviously, but it didn't come with a bolt to secure it to the other connector.

That's why I was asking if I could get it out or or if there was a certain size that would work.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock