Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  FIRST EVER D.O.T. APPROVED TRUE L.E.D. TAIL LIGHTS FOR THE FIERO (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
FIRST EVER D.O.T. APPROVED TRUE L.E.D. TAIL LIGHTS FOR THE FIERO by nightonfire
Started on: 01-03-2014 01:13 AM
Replies: 72 (3284 views)
Last post by: dobey on 01-10-2014 06:57 PM
Boogaloo

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is all about keeping it real and honest,why would you ask for help developing a product that is not finished or tried and charging $600 plus $100 makes no sense whatsover,it looks square and out of place on a Fiero ....just not practical like trying to put a square peg in a round hole
IP: Logged
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think ones from an older Firebird or Camaro would work out a lot better and easier.

1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep i agree, I expected to see a finished product by the end of this thread not a chop shop job of a "square peg in a round hole" done in paintbrush.

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96)
HX-40, FrozenBoost I/C, 80lb injectors & E85 Coming soon.....

nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off, asking to see what people would do with photo shop is not going to do the work for me. Go through many of the development threads and people have enjoyed getting creative with photo shop, and giving ideas of creativity. Can you photo shop? If so great, you dont want to do anywork on the photos in this thread, not a big deal.

Second, if this so happened to get produced, it is always good to get feedback from interested persons; that's called research, development, and marketing; you dont want to participate, nobody is forcing you to.

Third, the pricing is just letting people know what the costs have been, its called giving information.

Fourth, any monkey can put a round peg in a circular hole, I choose not to do that, and spent the money, time, and personal creativity to push the possibilities, because I have the TIME, MONEY, & TALENT to do so.

Fifth, what have you done on your car, feel free to post your fiero, and point out what you fabricated on it, please share.

Sixth, I have asked those in the Fiero community who have done the most amazing custom, & fabrication on their cars to critique my work, why because I RESPECT them.

Seventh, I fabricated the Ferrari Lights into my car, spent over $2000 twelve years ago, and have the balls to get rid of them, lose the money I invested and do something no one else has done again.

Finally, I am already starting a THIRD tail light project, with other technology, why because I have the AMBITION, and if this second project doesn't turn out and I lose the money I invested, well..... It will not be the first time, and it will not be the last time, and when I do get the tail lights right were I want them, I am positive its far more than you will ever do replacing the light bulbs in your stock tail lights

Just keeping it Real!

Originally posted by Boogaloo:
This is all about keeping it real and honest,why would you ask for help developing a product that is not finished or tried and charging $600 plus $100 makes no sense whatsover,it looks square and out of place on a Fiero ....just not practical like trying to put a square peg in a round hole

[This message has been edited by nightonfire (edited 01-07-2014).]

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nightonfire

1015 posts
Member since Feb 2004
I did consider some of these as well, but really want to get a different look, thats what led me to the CTS lights, I really like the transparency of the lenses, its more modern. I was also trying to get away from the "light bright" effect where the leds are individual. The CTS has a running light that is a solid bar, again very current in style. Im still working on this and trying to figure it out, Like I mentioned I have already started on another tail light, but this one is going to be all done in house, using the newer technology you see with the Audi. I have to rework some sheet metal to get the lines to match now, that is the first thing. Thanks again for the suggestions

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
I think ones from an older Firebird or Camaro would work out a lot better and easier.

Bozzie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Totally respect your work and watching..... Keep it up. Any mod or suggestion is worth a lot in our community considering there are only a few handfuls left of people who actually take there cars to the next level. Kudos

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nightonfire:
Here are two shots showing different ways you may want to set the lights, this would be down to a personal preference & styling
1st shows a deeper recess of the light inside the box

I like you're thinking outside the box
Seriously I like the brainstorming.
I always thought teh round LED circles from a Grand Caravan would be cool on their side in a Fiero.
Do these late model LED tail lights need some sort of programmer/brain or something from the donor car? Or do they just wire up to the turn signal, brake, parking wires of the Fiero?
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Huuhh... Sorry but these are not first anything because they are not done nor available. Still I think they may look ok when done. But like the new Vette ones I think they look too much Camarolesque. Wish someone would reproduce stock ones which are just fine.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do the steel boxes work in the car? You show them sitting on rags or being held...

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 01-07-2014).]

Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2014 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Applause for the effort, but you really haven't found any other factory LED taillights to more closely follow the lines of a Fiero? A CTS is all blocky, which you pretty clearly showed/mentioned in the before pics... just a thought.

Also, Deville taillight frenches have been around since the '90s, it's nothing new, and it's no surprise that someone makes an LED version, so no building of an LED strip is even needed.
http://www.customclassic.co.../caddy/94deville.htm
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by Doober (edited 01-08-2014).]

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 05:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone built a nice set using modern Alfa tail lights.
PFF
System Bot
RobertGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertGTSend a Private Message to RobertGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You sound really arrogant and craving attention.

I'm with the others, the CTS lights look tacky and out of place on the Fiero. And all these thousands of hours of R&D you're quoting, you got hardly anything to show for it. You bought a pair of tail lights from the dealership, and made a box they fit into. They don't even fit into it well. That's not exactly rocket science. If it's what you love then knock yourself out, but I don't see these selling well. I'll stick with my stock tail lights with LED towers.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RobertGT:

You sound really arrogant and craving attention.

Its hard to tell that kind of thing online.
I'm glad we have folks like him trying different things, if no one buys them, no one buys them, he can run them on his own car.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I'm glad we have folks like him trying different things, if no one buys them, no one buys them, he can run them on his own car.

I agree. While they may not be something I'd use it doesn't mean they won't look good when he's done, like with Fie Ro. He used Civic or Integra tail lights, I forget exactly which but it was one of the 2, and they came out great. He also used a cut down Civic front bumper cover for the nose on his Fiero and personally I think his is one of the best looking Fieros I've seen. Things may initially look out of place or sound odd but if the finish work and customization goes into them to make them look "right" then the result can be pretty spectacular. I don't know if that's what will happen here, but I am curious to see where it goes.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

I agree. While they may not be something I'd use it doesn't mean they won't look good when he's done, like with Fie Ro. He used Civic or Integra tail lights,

I think they were called Altezza lights...

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw the 2014 trams am led tailights and they look amazing.... U tube it. There available just need a nice housing for them
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-09-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

They are are aftermarket altezza style lights, for a 94-01 (Acura in the US, Honda everywhere else) Integra. They look fairly ok on his car because the non-light portion matches the color of the car fairly well, so they look more like just round lights, than something that's not supposed to be there.

But the body lines on a new CTS are very different from the body lines on a 15 year old Integra. The CTS lights are designed to be installed at the rear corners, with a wrap around the corner edge of the car, 90 degrees rotation from how they'd be installed on a Fiero, and they're manufactured to fit the sharper body lines of that car. They could theoretically be made to look right on a Fiero, but it's going to take a heck of a lot more fab work than what Fie Ro did to fit the Integra lights on his car.
bmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For a group of people that own a car that is constantly undervalued and underappreciated by the general public we sure are unforgiving to each other. The guy has a passion for fieros, maybe he sounds arrogant, but who really cares? We own a car that has very few vendors and most of the modifications and maintenance are left to guys in their garages with passions and a love for the car, so why the hell do we spend so much time bashing each other. The design isn't my piece of cake either but I didn't spend money or many hours designing it, and I think it's great that people are still willing to spend that kind of time and money on these cars. Just from that standpoint alone I support this thread. If it's not your thing? There's absolutely no one making you look at or post in this thread. Let's remember that we're all in this together.
Brian
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

They are are aftermarket altezza style lights, for a 94-01 (Acura in the US, Honda everywhere else) Integra.

Thanks dobey. I was thinking it was Integra because the front bumper cover was Civic but I wasn't positive.
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Bloozberry,

Sorry for the late reply, I will try to get some photos above Friday or Saturday, on a 90 degree surface just to give you an Idea, I am not sure how soon I can coordinate with my fiero buddy, but I will get them for you as soon as possible.

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

They look nice from the rear view, but I'd like to see a top view showing the contour of the lens while it's set in the car as you've done from the rear view. That will give a better idea how easily a new rear valence panel can be made to suit both the Fiero body and the lens contours. For example, how much does the lens curve? Is the lens tilted top to bottom? Given that it was originally designed to be a vertical lens, how does that affect the light being thrown properly when installed horizontally?

BTW, I also believe that your title was misleading... now that you've modified the light significantly, it no longer would meet the DOT specifications for which it was designed.

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nightonfire

1015 posts
Member since Feb 2004
Thanks for the kind words Bozzie, I will back in the shop as soon as possible!

Originally posted by Bozzie:

Totally respect your work and watching..... Keep it up. Any mod or suggestion is worth a lot in our community considering there are only a few handfuls left of people who actually take there cars to the next level. Kudos

PFF
System Bot
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey ALex,
Yes the new vette lights are very debated right now, half love it, half hate it, I personally think they should have stayed circular, but they did what they did, just like getting rid of the pop-ups which many felt were out dated, the discussion will go on.

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Huuhh... Sorry but these are not first anything because they are not done nor available. Still I think they may look ok when done. But like the new Vette ones I think they look too much Camarolesque. Wish someone would reproduce stock ones which are just fine.

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nightonfire

1015 posts
Member since Feb 2004
Hey Carbon,

This boxes require the removal of the second substructure, once removed, brackets will hold the boxes in place. The fiero I used in the photos was not mine, and we were tight on time so it was more of a quick test run; my Fiero is already on another project so I couldn't, put them into mine. Again, the brackets cannot be made until it is decided exactly where the lights will be permanently placed. Placement is open, and can really be set exactly where the person who installs them wants them. For example, A wide body owner, or kitcar owner would definitely place them further out towards the edges of the car than a stock bodied fiero such as mine. Like I mentioned I will try to go back to my buddies when we can meet , take out the substructure, and take more photos.

Originally posted by carbon:

How do the steel boxes work in the car? You show them sitting on rags or being held...

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nightonfire

1015 posts
Member since Feb 2004
Thanks 2.5, the seeing through the haze.
And again your totally right, no-one is going to lose any sleep over this, and I may not even put them on mine, since I started another tail light project, who knows

Originally posted by 2.5:

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nightonfire

1015 posts
Member since Feb 2004
KHW,

Good point, The objective is that they look good when they are DONE. Its the ugly process that most people never see. Im not sure how many times we have seen super cool concepts cars at auto shows, but we never had a chance to see the painful process the designers had to go through, develop, style & destroy then repeat process again. My friend actually designed the NSX interior over a year, and showed me multiple variations, some looked horrible, but that was the process to come to the beautiful end product that we will see next year, I personally cant wait!

Originally posted by Khw:
I agree. While they may not be something I'd use it doesn't mean they won't look good when he's done, like with Fie Ro. He used Civic or Integra tail lights, I forget exactly which but it was one of the 2, and they came out great. He also used a cut down Civic front bumper cover for the nose on his Fiero and personally I think his is one of the best looking Fieros I've seen. Things may initially look out of place or sound odd but if the finish work and customization goes into them to make them look "right" then the result can be pretty spectacular. I don't know if that's what will happen here, but I am curious to see where it goes.

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nightonfire

1015 posts
Member since Feb 2004
Yellow Stone,

I remember those, turned out pretty sweet, but if you notice the line on the end doesn't follow the angled Fiero line, but the way he glassed it in, it totally worked and look amazing.

Originally posted by yellowstone:

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nightonfire

1015 posts
Member since Feb 2004
Bozzie,

I did see those on the road and thought, hmm possibility, but have to wrap up the two tail light projects on hand first, or I am going to have to learn to juggle.

Originally posted by Bozzie:

I saw the 2014 trams am led tailights and they look amazing.... U tube it. There available just need a nice housing for them

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nightonfire

1015 posts
Member since Feb 2004
Hi Dobey,

Yes two different angles on the lights, but again that has been part of the challenge and then the long extension of the CTS lights was a whole other animal. Now its a matter of direction, behind the stock light panel, or full on fiberglass? I will see after I make it back to the garage and take more photos. The main goal here is getting LED tail lights onto the Fiero.

Originally posted by dobey:

They are are aftermarket altezza style lights, for a 94-01 (Acura in the US, Honda everywhere else) Integra. They look fairly ok on his car because the non-light portion matches the color of the car fairly well, so they look more like just round lights, than something that's not supposed to be there.

But the body lines on a new CTS are very different from the body lines on a 15 year old Integra. The CTS lights are designed to be installed at the rear corners, with a wrap around the corner edge of the car, 90 degrees rotation from how they'd be installed on a Fiero, and they're manufactured to fit the sharper body lines of that car. They could theoretically be made to look right on a Fiero, but it's going to take a heck of a lot more fab work than what Fie Ro did to fit the Integra lights on his car.

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nightonfire

1015 posts
Member since Feb 2004
Hi Brian,

I Appreciate your opinion, not everyone likes pistachio ice cream, no worries, it doesn't bother me if someone is likes rocky road, its their ice cream they can have what they want, lol. Good energy my friend, hope you stay tuned in to see how the tail lights turn out

Originally posted by bmac:

For a group of people that own a car that is constantly undervalued and underappreciated by the general public we sure are unforgiving to each other. The guy has a passion for fieros, maybe he sounds arrogant, but who really cares? We own a car that has very few vendors and most of the modifications and maintenance are left to guys in their garages with passions and a love for the car, so why the hell do we spend so much time bashing each other. The design isn't my piece of cake either but I didn't spend money or many hours designing it, and I think it's great that people are still willing to spend that kind of time and money on these cars. Just from that standpoint alone I support this thread. If it's not your thing? There's absolutely no one making you look at or post in this thread. Let's remember that we're all in this together.
Brian

[This message has been edited by nightonfire (edited 01-10-2014).]

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nightonfire

1015 posts
Member since Feb 2004
Here are a few fotos from Carlos RBS in limbo thread, We both started toying around with the same idea at the same time, although neither of us knew it, and in my book If Carlo had his eyes on these, I wasn't too far off the mark from the master

As you can see clearance was an issue, even on a widebody

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thats HOT !!!
PFF
System Bot
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nightonfire:

Here are a few fotos from Carlos RBS in limbo thread, We both started toying around with the same idea at the same time, although neither of us knew it, and in my book If Carlo had his eyes on these, I wasn't too far off the mark from the master

As you can see clearance was an issue, even on a widebody

Car-Lo's car has absolutely no lines in common with a Fiero and is built to work with the components he chooses... *shrug*

Looking forward to see what you come up with.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-10-2014 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:
Car-Lo's car has absolutely no lines in common with a Fiero and is built to work with the components he chooses... *shrug*

And those lines have changed probably 30 times already. I think he just enjoys doing the work of putting things together to see what he can come up with, even if he never gets a finished product.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock