Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  FIRST EVER D.O.T. APPROVED TRUE L.E.D. TAIL LIGHTS FOR THE FIERO (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
FIRST EVER D.O.T. APPROVED TRUE L.E.D. TAIL LIGHTS FOR THE FIERO by nightonfire
Started on: 01-03-2014 01:13 AM
Replies: 72 (3284 views)
Last post by: dobey on 01-10-2014 06:57 PM
nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
***Disclaimer: Lights are DOT approved for the OEM application, Modifications have been for the lights to fit in the Fiero, and/or Gallardo/Murcielago Kit Kar. As with any modification of custom parts installers must know not all parts are always street legal****

ANOTHER FIRST

I have been Fabricating these for the last 8 months to get them to work for the Fiero, and am ready to finally show them. The amount of work, research, and parts sourcing that went into these was extensive. I will break up the process into 4 segments.

1) Searching for lights that will work with the Fiero Style.
2) "Reshaping" & Custom Fabrication of lights to fit within Fiero parameters.
3) Sourcing connectors that cannot be purchased from dealers/not have dealer part #
4) Diagramming the schematics for connection to Fiero electrical system.

Again this is a VERY simple breakdown of the process, that was difficult beyond belief. I was the first & only Fiero owner to successfully connect Authentic Ferrari 355 Tail lights to the Fiero back in 2002, until recently I sold them to another Fiero owner (not sure if he ever installed them?) The reason I sold them was to develop the First D.O.T. approved L.E.D. tail lights from a manufacturer to be fabricated to work with a Fiero. This is an upgrade and like all upgrades their are, legalities to consider, like, chop-tops, lambo-doors, and all the other things we have seen done to automobiles, these lights fall into the same category of high level customization.

I won't immediately give up the SECRETS as to how I achieved this, but I will tell you this, I am intending on selling these. I am not sure if this will be a one off EXCLUSIVE item, or if I want to make a few sets, again it is a difficult process, and even at this point may still take 2-3 months to duplicate. For now I have this completed pair, and am interested in sharing them with all of you.

Will post photos Friday (tomorrow)

[This message has been edited by nightonfire (edited 01-13-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are the inspirations for the tail lights

Murcielago

Gallardo
Doober

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, are you saying you've come up with replacement style, DOT-legal LED taillights for the Fiero?
bmac

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now this is intriguing!
Brian
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 05:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes these are a DOT-legal LED taillights for the Fiero! They come from a domestic automobile that is mass produced from a major LUXURY name. All I did, was the leg work to get them to fit within the rear body lines of the Fiero

This is not a Stock replacement, this is a custom set up, which will entail glassing, and custom installation. This is for someone who wants to be one of the very few, or even the one person who wants to say "I am the only Fiero owner to have these lights". Just like the Ferrari 355 Tail lights I installed, and fabricated; for the last 12 years I could always say; "I am the only Fiero owner with Real Ferrari 355 Tail lights & custom Ferrari 355 rear bumper" (old version below w/355 back end)

Think of chop-tops, Lambo doors, & wide-bodies; it's all about exclusivity, RIGHT??? Isn't that why we all own FIEROS !!! We want something that few have, that was the whole idea with the development of these tail lights. Look at the Ferrari 355 lights I had installed in 2002, D.O.T. approved for a Ferrari, but on a Fiero, had these 12 years and never had an issue

If you look at the images in the previous, you can tell that it is TWO separate light fixtures which is definitely not a "stock" style plug n play replacement, I did choose these lights for the fact that I could rework them to follow with the lines of the Fiero, and with years of fabrication & car design I strongly believe these are the best choice for looks, styling, & modernizing the Fiero. The lines on the Fiero are timeless; yet the interior, and other aspects definitely have a production DATE written on them. For these reasons I looked for nearly 4 years to find the right lights to work with the Fiero.

Originally posted by Doober:

So, are you saying you've come up with replacement style, DOT-legal LED taillights for the Fiero?

[This message has been edited by nightonfire (edited 01-03-2014).]

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nightonfire

1015 posts
Member since Feb 2004
Hey Brian, I believe you will find this just as intriguing as I have for the last 8 months, I have already previewed these lights with local Fiero owners and have had an amazing response & compliments. Technically today I will be posting photos !

Originally posted by bmac:
Now this is intriguing!
Brian

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may want to be careful about your claim of DOT approval. Unless you took a Fiero with those lights installed to the DOT and had them approve the setup, the lights were not DOT approved for the Fiero. Yes, it does matter. Because if you claim DOT approval for the Fiero, and it turns out the DOT didn't actually approve of these lights as installed in a Fiero, it opens you up to a legal feeding frenzy.

I'm not trying to poo-poo your product, just trying to help you cover yer arse.
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DP*

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nightonfire

1015 posts
Member since Feb 2004
Good Point Black Tree, as far as approval, and legalities. The D.O.T. certification of the lights for the original auto in mass production has been approved as O.E.M. I should make it clear YES these are D.O.T. approved as a O.E.M. product, that have been modified to work with the Fiero. What this does; is sets a precedence of the light housing safety & regulations of visibility by the Department of Transportation.

As we have seen with many Fiero Fabrications of Lights there have been variable lighting applications from dyi to aftermarket products. Again with these tail lights, Choptops, and Lambo doors, and other higher end customization this is a consideration when one makes a decision upgrade and customize a car.

With this said, this sets a standard of visibility, brightness, distance of visibility, etc. which is why I chose an O.E.M. product and did not pull parts off a shelf to "make" a light fixture. Installed on a Fiero one can be assured that if one chooses or decides to have their local department certify the lights, they can expect to have no issues, nothing more than putting 85 corvette tail lights on their Fiero

Photos posted later today!

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-03-2014 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:
You may want to be careful about your claim of DOT approval. Unless you took a Fiero with those lights installed to the DOT and had them approve the setup, the lights were not DOT approved for the Fiero. Yes, it does matter. Because if you claim DOT approval for the Fiero, and it turns out the DOT didn't actually approve of these lights as installed in a Fiero, it opens you up to a legal feeding frenzy.

I'm not trying to poo-poo your product, just trying to help you cover yer arse.

Contrary to popular belief, the DOT doesn't "approve" things. Saying DOT approved is just a misnomer in any sense. The DOT publishes requirements for certain equipment. The equipment may meet or exceed DOT standards, and it may even only be legal for off-road use in such cases (it depends on the standards and what is requirement for road legal use). Included in these requirements is that equipment which meets these standards, must state so (which is why you see DOT stamped into aftermarket headlights, license plate covers, etc…). The DOT does not actually test and approve every piece of equipment with a DOT stamp on it. It is up to equipment manufacturers to test their equipment against the standards. However, as a manufacturer it would be reasonable to expect a possible audit at some arbitrary point in the future, if one were to start selling equipment with a DOT stamp or advertising as meeting DOT requirements.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-03-2014 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by nightonfire:
Installed on a Fiero one can be assured that if one chooses or decides to have their local department certify the lights, they can expect to have no issues, nothing more than putting 85 corvette tail lights on their Fiero

Not a first. You are not the first person to put OEM Corvette lights on a Fiero. It's been done time and again for at least the past 15 years.
PFF
System Bot
bmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nightonfire,

I love that people are still taking the time to be innovative with the Fiero. Can't wait to see some pics!

Brian
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kudos for all the work. I had my european tail lights on my Ferrari 308 kit wired to work like OEM european ones in 1999 with the amber turn lites and red tail and brake lites. In Ohio anyway, ANY lites not installed by the manufacturer, or exact replacements...are illegal. Not saying its strictly enforced but a smart cop with a bad day would know a Fiero didnt have LED lites. I know people who have gotten tickets by adding fog lights. My Ferrari kit had driving lites installed as my headlites under a clear cover. Illegal as it goes, but I never got stopped for them.
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dobey, I never did the corvette lights, I was using it as an example of an O.E.M. light, being placed on Fieros, and you emphasized my point; "it has been done time and again" but this light housing that I have Fabricated is a FIRST

Originally posted by dobey:
Not a first. You are not the first person to put OEM Corvette lights on a Fiero. It's been done time and again for at least the past 15 years.

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nightonfire

1015 posts
Member since Feb 2004
Okay here are some photos (both sides are finished)
Driver side full view

Close up of Light Bar (driving) & LEDs (Brake & Signal)

Close up of corner where work was done to open & reseal housing (white marks are rubbing compound residue still that will be cleaned off)

Another close up of corner to show factory quality plastic welding seal done

bmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool and unique! Do you have an pics of them installed on a car? How much are you thinking of charging per set?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Arent those Cadillac Escalade turned on their side. I think they might look good, have to see them in a car for final opinion.

I understand you saying theyre approved, as they are for the car they came from. Most places may not have any problem at all with the DOT stamped into the lense. Everyone has to check their own state to be sure. If they have a tough inspection, they may not get thru. Cincinnati for example does have inspections (not statewide) and wont pass a car with open rust holes in the body. You have to fix it or sell the car somewhere else or you dont get tags.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are these lights mounted in the exact same orientation position as the vehicle they were designed for originally ? If not, then there's a very good chance they will not conform to D.O.T. Requirements. Some Police, if they notice something different about the car, will check for MFG date stamp on lens, if it doesn't match the car model, you might have a fight on your hands.
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not fully installed them, since this will be permanent, but had done placement and
Preliminary fittings and photos, and it looks great, I will try to get some newer photos with a members Fiero to show what it will look like in a stock Fiero and do some photoshop to buildin the area that will be fiber glassed.

As far as price goes. Just for the parts, lights left and right were $550 & pigtail c
onnectos $60, not including the miscilaneous plastic welding & labor. So just on parts easy $600..., but again these maybe a one of a kind or at most only produce 4 more sets depending on interest.

Originally posted by bmac:

Very cool and unique! Do you have an pics of them installed on a car? How much are you thinking of charging per set?

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nightonfire

1015 posts
Member since Feb 2004
Here is one of the original photos, I had been playing around with a few different tail lights. This gives a good feel for how it will look, again I will try to get together with another member to do a mock up & photo shop to show a completed product.
turbodad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbodadSend a Private Message to turbodadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look like the taillights from my CTS coupe.......yes?
PFF
System Bot
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are a few more photos of the light buckets fabricated to glass them into the body. The boxes were another $100 to have made.

Driver Side

Here are two shots showing different ways you may want to set the lights, this would be down to a personal preference & styling
1st shows a deeper recess of the light inside the box

2nd shows a more flushed look

Here is a shot of the back side where the pigtail & bolts will be secured to the box ; the box is intended to be permanent attached to the Fiero & Light is removable.
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nightonfire

1015 posts
Member since Feb 2004
Hey Turbo you got it, although because you own the car Im sure it was an easy one for you , but none the less I'll give it to you!

Originally posted by turbodad:

Look like the taillights from my CTS coupe.......yes?

Bozzie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As of now I'm redoing the rear of my car and looking for a alternate light solution. I'm liking this so far and looking forward to how this will look

Boz

------------------
http://i252.photobucket.com...ec/2007_12240001.jpg

Bozzie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
What is the overall dimemsions of the light ?
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Bozzie, always nice to get compliments from the greats who are really pushing the boundaries (I've been following your build). So as for very simple dimensions the light itself not in box is L 14" x H 6" x W 4.5" the box was designed to accommodate the light housing and has extra Width to allow installer ability for placement, shaping and grinding edges.

We can connect and I can give you more details & info, like I said this set will be up for sale.

Originally posted by Bozzie:

What is the overall dimemsions of the light ?

[This message has been edited by nightonfire (edited 01-04-2014).]

turbodad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbodadSend a Private Message to turbodadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suggested to Carlo to use those lights for his RBS2 turned sideways like you are doing, a long time ago. The lights are like fine lewelry and will look awesome when done.
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was following Carlo's thread and remember him posting a photo of the lights, and I just started LAUGHING; two worlds apart and we were both working with the same lights and had absolutely no idea. I remember posting a picture or two of what I had at the time, but for the most part just kept my work under wraps until the other day. I love the look of the lights, like you said they really set off the Fiero.

Originally posted by turbodad:

I suggested to Carlo to use those lights for his RBS2 turned sideways like you are doing, a long time ago. The lights are like fine lewelry and will look awesome when done.

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nightonfire

1015 posts
Member since Feb 2004
Just got back from a fellow Fiero Members house, I was able to do some photos of the LED tail light mocked up inside the Fiero. On a side note, Can anyone do a photo shop to give it a "completed / installed look? For now here are a few nice pictures, I really love the way it looks, updates the rear by 25 years!

Here is a nice over all photo

A little closer to the the light

An angle shot

Extreme Close up for detail

What I like about this is that the installer can choose EXACTLY where & how they want to place the light, higher, lower, inward, outward flush-mount or recessed. This will all go down to personal choice, but just from these photos the lights are going to look amazing!
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-04-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are very nice lights, but they don't really fit the lines of the Fiero at all. :-/
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree. It would take a LOT of quarter panel and deck lid mods to match the outside end and top lines on the light. I just dont see it looking right stuck in a wrap around flat panel like Corvette or Ferrari lights have. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though.

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Ta...vX5bsCFawRMwodqDcAsw

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-04-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id use them as a back light and make a skin like on a lambo to fill in the missing upper left hand corner. then they would match the fiero lines and still look good. Can you fit them within a stock lens perhaps? then black out the void area or even possibly give it some desired shape depending on taste and look going for?
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are definitely a few ways of working the housing & fiber glass to match the stock lines, or for some one who is looking to rework the back end of a Fiero with a custom back end can choose how to do this. Fiber-glassing is the easy part, or plastic welding the lens to add shape is also the easy side. Spending 8 months to get to this point was the nightmare, as anyone here who has produced a FIRST will agree with Like you suggested it would take masking tape and some black paint to shoot the inside of a stock tail light skin, I actually really like the idea ALOT, maybe that is the way to go, From this point its all piece of cake.

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

Id use them as a back light and make a skin like on a lambo to fill in the missing upper left hand corner. then they would match the fiero lines and still look good. Can you fit them within a stock lens perhaps? then black out the void area or even possibly give it some desired shape depending on taste and look going for?

Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you're saying you had to go through some process to get this approved?

I don't see much besides mounting some factory taillights in buckets so far.
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doober;

To restate, The D.O.T. approval is of the taillight as received from the manufacturer for the Cadillac CTS Coupe. The lights were not put together from off the shelf parts from an electronics store.

The "process", had to do with the research & fabrication of the tail light itself so that it would fit in the rear of the fiero. Im positive you know from projects you have done on your Fiero the many stages of development it takes to go through the process. As you have seen in the photos above, this was done on a another Fiero as a quick mock to see how it will look on a stock bodied Fiero, not the one at the shop I had originally been using. At this stage, I am showing the lights to get response & feedback to see what direction I will move next. There are many different ways to go with this
1) French & Fabricate lights into my Fiero
2) Sell to a member who wants them for a custom project
3) Rework the shaping to follow rounded outer edge, and retain stock style
4) Rework light housing to fit with in stock Fiero taillight cover
5) Selling them on Ebay for a Lamborghini Gallardo or Murcielago Kit Car

As you can see, the list of options and routes take this project from here go on. So at this point the lights have been simply placed in buckets for perspective

Originally posted by Doober:
So you're saying you had to go through some process to get this approved?

I don't see much besides mounting some factory taillights in buckets so far.

Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was just a little misleading, the beginning of the thread sounds like you've come up with your own design, outside any manufacturer (Ford, GM, etc.) that was DOT-approved, and allowed for the Fiero. I just don't see anything much outside the realm of frenched in Caddy taillights... I'm willing to bet a more fitting taillight can be used for this application - however novel the DOT idea may have been.
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doober;
I did take a look at these lenses above which use the older bulb technology, and debated making a LED panel to fit, but really wanted to get an O.E.M. D.O.T L.E.D housing such as the CTS.

Again with the CTS coupe lights there was a lot of work that went into making these fit: that was the challenge, is going to be the challenge with any other tail light that is transplanted into a Fiero. Here is a synopsis of what had to happen to get these lights to fit correctly

Here you can see the extreme "L" shape of the O.E.M. part. Making a box for this that would fit n the Fiero body was not feasible for practice reasons, clearance issues where the first objective to tackle.

Here is where the surgical aspect comes in , this included splicing, chopping, heating bending, welding plastic, fabricating, and reconfirming every aspect to fit with in the new dimensions of the Fiero.

After working all the internal aspects, it was time to address the light housing itself, again chopping, heating bending,welding plastic, fabricating, and reconfirming the outer transparent housing.

Next was plastic welding the housing back to an air tight/water resistant factory seal.

Finally sand, polish, & buff plastic welded edges.

[This message has been edited by nightonfire (edited 01-06-2014).]

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nightonfire

1015 posts
Member since Feb 2004
Here is a quick rendering of the lights fiber glassed in and shaped to match the stock lines of the Fiero. If any one would like to photo shop them feel free, I'd like to see your ideas and suggestions!

[This message has been edited by nightonfire (edited 01-06-2014).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They look nice from the rear view, but I'd like to see a top view showing the contour of the lens while it's set in the car as you've done from the rear view. That will give a better idea how easily a new rear valence panel can be made to suit both the Fiero body and the lens contours. For example, how much does the lens curve? Is the lens tilted top to bottom? Given that it was originally designed to be a vertical lens, how does that affect the light being thrown properly when installed horizontally?

BTW, I also believe that your title was misleading... now that you've modified the light significantly, it no longer would meet the DOT specifications for which it was designed.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting, but I think this looks out of place on a Fiero. The lines just don't match well.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock