New to forum looking for complete restoration by fierodreamer201386
Started on: 11-27-2013 11:01 PM
Replies: 38 (802 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 12-03-2013 01:06 AM
fierodreamer201386

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2013 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New to the forum but definitely not to Fieros, have some knowledge about them but very excited to learn more. Im currently seeking my next project fiero but want to do it from the ground up. Love to work on them and help anyone who needs help with them if you got a great idea or something really strange for an idea please let me know and any delaptated fieros looking for restoration let me know.

------------------
One mans dream another mans project

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2013 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome To The Madness.

Check This Out. //www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/081969-57.html

Steve

[This message has been edited by 86soon3.4 (edited 11-27-2013).]

fierodreamer201386

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So it looks like you have been into this fiero thing for awhile, any good leads for parts cars in northern wisconsin I'm looking for an 87 gt nothing special like I put I want to redo the whole thing 4 th one in 4 years and ever heard of anyone putting 2jze in fiero?
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-28-2013 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierodreamer201386:

So it looks like you have been into this fiero thing for awhile, any good leads for parts cars in northern wisconsin I'm looking for an 87 gt nothing special like I put I want to redo the whole thing 4 th one in 4 years and ever heard of anyone putting 2jze in fiero?

I have an 85 GT with only 62K miles, that is in need of restoration, which I don't have the time/resources to do. Nowhere near WI though. If you're interested and can come get it and trailer it back home, though, I'd be happy to sell it to someone who will return it to its former glory. Feel free to PM me if interested.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Try this: http://www.searchtempest.com/ for parts/cars. As for the 2jze motor, you would be the first. I love seeing non traditional engine swaps but I can tell you from personal experience, being the first to do a new engine swap is a lot of work. Here is my one off Chrysler swap I did. Google, as well as other forums geared towards the car you are thinking about taking the engine from will be your best bet for good info.
fierodreamer201386

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to both of the replys, I'm stuck on doing the 87 unfortunately I've restored a few already and I would like to get one that ages equally with me lol, as for the 2jze I want a motor that has alot of modifications for it and would be a good setup for putting the motor in the front. Do u think it ruins the fiero by making it a non mid engine car?
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks to both of the replys, I'm stuck on doing the 87 unfortunately I've restored a few already and I would like to get one that ages equally with me lol, as for the 2jze I want a motor that has alot of modifications for it and would be a good setup for putting the motor in the front. Do u think it ruins the fiero by making it a non mid engine car?

Are you talking about moving it up front or turning the drivetrain? A rear Longitudinal 2JZE Powered Fiero would be pretty cool and never done here, you could use a Audi transmission or similar.

Welcome to PFF! It sounds like you have had the Fiero addiction for a while.
fierodreamer201386

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im going to put it up front is my intention thats why I want a scrapper fiero for now im going to gut the front end to make space.ive neglger had any mechanical training so every thing ive done or will do is all just figuring it out lol figured I can use the gas tank space to run the driveshaft?
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Personally, I wouldn't do it. If you want a front engine rear drive layout, start with a car that already has that. Turning the Fiero into a front engine car would be a lot of work. The front end of a Fiero was designed to hold the spare tire and not an engine, there isn't enough room to put one there, and a transmission won't fit in the gas tank tunnel. If you like the Fiero look, build yourself a custom tube chassis and hang Fiero body panels on it. In the long run it would be easier than modifying a stock one.

fierodreamer201386

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I kinda figured that would be the case, I've seen other fieros with front engines before I just feel like the engine compartment in the rear really limits the options for something unique. But thanks for any input I really appreciate it

------------------

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just feel like the engine compartment in the rear really limits the options for something unique.

Damn near any engine out there will go in the back of a Fiero, it's just a matter of finding a transmission or transaxle to make it work. If you were to stretch the frame, anything goes.
PFF
System Bot
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...I just feel like the engine compartment in the rear really limits the options for something unique.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. Although I haven't, maybe you daily always see rear-mounted Fiero engine swaps identical to the one in this Pennock's Fiero Forum link: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-0000

[This message has been edited by project34 (edited 11-28-2013).]

fierodreamer201386

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Again I'm not that veteraned in mechanics but a 2jze could be run in the rear of a fiero ?
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Again I'm not that veteraned in mechanics but a 2jze could be run in the rear of a fiero ?

That engine is something like 28" from pulley to bellhousing and 25" tall... Doesn't really leave room for a transmission, or other running bits. Why a Toyota block? Sure, they can make stupid power -reliably- but how would you get it to the ground? There's your real limitation, even more so with a one-off swap.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a 3800 will make the same power a 2jz will with a flatter torque curve.
fierodreamer201386

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

That engine is something like 28" from pulley to bellhousing and 25" tall... Doesn't really leave room for a transmission, or other running bits. Why a Toyota block? Sure, they can make stupid power -reliably- but how would you get it to the ground? There's your real limitation, even more so with a one-off swap.

I just heard great things about that motor and was wondering if it had been done...I figured original space wise there was zero chance of getting it in there but definitely would be different
fierodreamer201386

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierodreamer201386

42 posts
Member since Nov 2013

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

a 3800 will make the same power a 2jz will with a flatter torque curve.

Kinda figured that would be close...again just a thought something different then the 3800 or 4.9 I enjoy unique but still need be practical I guess
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
By chance your not the fella that came over here and checked out my choptop with Doug Chartre? As you probably have guessed and or seen we have a pretty nice little club of members here in the valley and really between the lot of us there is nothing that has been done to a fiero that has not been done at least once by one of our members. that would include examples of full on crazy engine swaps with high horsepower v'8s to the 3800 and so on. How about a Ecotec swap ? you would get the power you want plus the gas savings to boot? and any body modifications well thats my cup of tea and I could guide you threw that as well.
fierodreamer201386

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not but I bet it looks cool....I would definitely be interested in seeing it I just moved up to the area
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I kinda figured that would be the case, I've seen other fieros with front engines before I just feel like the engine compartment in the rear really limits the options for something unique. But thanks for any input I really appreciate it

[This message has been edited by mrfred8 (edited 11-29-2013).]

fierodreamer201386

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks amazing did u have to stretch the frame to fit it?
PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not mine, saw this at the 30th this past summer. I doubt the frame was stretched, but looks like all the trunk space was used.

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That belongs to Tracy with Central Florida Fieros. It's an Oldsmobile 455 with a few modifications. When I saw the car and talked to Tracy about it, he said that type of build has been known to produce around 650hp. Too bad the car weighs nearly 1400lbs more than when it left the factory.

Build pics can be found in 3 albums linked from here - on the lower right.
http://www.fierocountry.us/fcusa.html
fierodreamer201386

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks awesome but honestly that's got to be too much power how could u even handle that for any type of normal driving, which I'm assuming it doesn't get driven other then drag but that would scare the crap out of me
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It looks awesome but honestly that's got to be too much power how could u even handle that for any type of normal driving, which I'm assuming it doesn't get driven other then drag but that would scare the crap out of me

Never been raced, gets driven to shows and meetings fairly frequently. Power shouldn't be too difficult to keep reined in.
fierodreamer201386

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm assuming it's won a few shows and in the picture it looks like it had drag bars on the back? Can u drive on normal roads with them on
fierodreamer201386

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm assuming it's won a few shows and in the picture it looks like it had drag bars on the back? Can u drive on normal roads with them on
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... want to do it from the ground up.

To me this is a scary statement. You could EASILY "invest" more money than it would cost to buy a nice late model car. My best advice is to look In The Mall for a swapped engine project or one partially done. Estimate your costs carefully and have a good time.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

To me this is a scary statement. You could EASILY "invest" more money than it would cost to buy a nice late model car. My best advice is to look In The Mall for a swapped engine project or one partially done. Estimate your costs carefully and have a good time.

I agree... A Fiero restoration is not for the faint of heart. You will almost certainly spend more than the car will ever be worth. You have to plan on keeping the car the rest of your life, and your grandkid's lives to get your money's worth out of it.
fierodreamer201386

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I agree... A Fiero restoration is not for the faint of heart. You will almost certainly spend more than the car will ever be worth. You have to plan on keeping the car the rest of your life, and your grandkid's lives to get your money's worth out of it.

I guess that I should rephrase myself maybe not the ground up I just really would like to build a fiero much like many of the members in here... something where I'm not buying someone else's work and possibly save a fiero from the grave yard. I enjoy mechanics but definitely enjoy the cosmetic end of restoration more.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess that I should rephrase myself maybe not the ground up I just really would like to build a fiero much like many of the members in here... something where I'm not buying someone else's work and possibly save a fiero from the grave yard. I enjoy mechanics but definitely enjoy the cosmetic end of restoration more.

I hear what you are saying, but I still caution you. Some members here have dropped $10K, $20K, $40K, even $80K into their Fieros. But that is money that never can be recovered, (unless you have agreed value insurance and it's a total loss somehow). Not that a car is ever an investment, but if you took $65K and bought a Mustang Shelby it would keep it's value and most likely appreciate.

If I could start over I would have just bought a Corvette instead of dropping tens of $K into a Fiero.
PFF
System Bot
fierodreamer201386

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the words of advice... honestly I just like doing the cosmetic restoration like doing and repairing the original not just buying different ones type of thing if that makes any sense if I could find a runner with trashed interior and needing body work at reasonable price id be in heaven the motor could wait till summer.

------------------

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh well there should be lots like that running around. It's pretty easy to redo the interior. You can get Mr. Mikes leather seats, new carpet, new headliner, fix all the warped surrounds on the dash and it's good as new inside. Outside the problem is paint. If you need new paint it's everything from a Maaco to the sky is the limit. And worse I've had two bad paint experiences with my car being ruined.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For a front engine Fiero, youd be much better off starting with a front engine donor with a frame or make your own tube frame and just bolt the Fiero body to it. Ive see a few 4x4 Fieros setting on Jeep chassis.
fierodreamer201386

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been searching all weekend to be slightly disappointed with my find of fieros o well it's worth the hunt thanks to everyone for the ideas I've come to decide from reading so many treads it will be an 87 gt with 3800 motor swap so any feedback onthat would be much appreciated and does anyone know from experience if the 88 suspension is worth all the hype that's the only year I haven't owned?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

and does anyone know from experience if the 88 suspension is worth all the hype that's the only year I haven't owned?

Unless you plan to replace the entire suspension with aftermarket parts (and I mean the ENTIRE suspension) then yes the 88 is worth it. Unless you like having the front end of a Citation in the back and the front end of a Chevette in the front. In my humble opinion the 84-87 stock suspension is garbage. Yes it can be modified to make it better, but so can the 88, and you are starting with a real suspension and not some parts thrown together by penny pinchers just to get it out the door.

The brakes alone are worth it to me. Twelve to thirteen inch brakes can be easily fitted to the 88 whereas on the 84-87 you have to do a lot more work to make that happen.
fierodreamer201386

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Unless you plan to replace the entire suspension with aftermarket parts (and I mean the ENTIRE suspension) then yes the 88 is worth it. Unless you like having the front end of a Citation in the back and the front end of a Chevette in the front. In my humble opinion the 84-87 stock suspension is garbage. Yes it can be modified to make it better, but so can the 88, and you are starting with a real suspension and not some parts thrown together by penny pinchers just to get it out the door.

The brakes alone are worth it to me. Twelve to thirteen inch brakes can be easily fitted to the 88 whereas on the 84-87 you have to do a lot more work to make that happen.

Can the suspension be flipped out easily or I should say are they pretty interchangeable ? I figure it wouldn't be easy
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My recommendation: drive a few. The differences are so small most people don't notice. (That statement will probably start a storm but...) If you are anywhere near me come drive my 84, 87, and 88. Unless you are autocrossing or something similar it shouldn't be a huge deal.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

My recommendation: drive a few. The differences are so small most people don't notice. (That statement will probably start a storm but...) If you are anywhere near me come drive my 84, 87, and 88. Unless you are autocrossing or something similar it shouldn't be a huge deal.

Maybe, but one look at those solid rotors on the front of the 84-87 is a huge turn off for me.

Maybe with all brand new stock parts the difference is small. But the 84-87 doesn't age as well. As the rubber degrades its gets horribly sloppy and even dangerous. The 88 is more forgiving. Not that anyone should be rocking worn suspension parts but the whole notion of the 84-87 offends me. When I look at those tie rods stapled to the cradle in the rear I want to throw up.

The rear cradle from an 88 can be swapped into an earlier model without too much difficulty. The front is another story. It's major surgery to swap to an 88 and it would be easier to go aftermarket.

If a person is starting from scratch I see no reason to start with an 84-87. There are plenty of nice 88s at reasonable price. Why start with a lesser suspension, unless as I said you are going for full aftermarket parts then you probably want the 84-87 because there is a bigger aftermarket for them.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock