indentifying power steering rack by bjc 350
Started on: 11-24-2013 11:11 PM
Replies: 7 (781 views)
Last post by: pontiackid86 on 11-25-2013 10:04 PM
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some months back a friend and I purchased a storage locker full of Fiero parts. We sold off a lot of items, but one of the things I kept was this steering rack, hoping one day to put power steering into one of my Fiero's. I have not been able to identify this rack, so am looking for help to see if it is a candidate for a Fiero install.

I will list what I know about the rack:

numbers cast into rack housing: 26082991 RV 6

number cast on pinion housing: 26034421
number stamped in ink on bottom of rack: 34201
info on paper tag removed from housing: c??1356, also typed on tag "steering geo" the remainder is unreadable.
bar code removed from rack: MC 26084646

distance from center/center of tie rod ends: 56"
distance c/c of rack mounting points : 16 3/4"
turns lock to lock: 2 1/4

Note the electrical connections as well as the power steering hoses. What would the electrical connection be used for? Thanks in advance for any help you might provide.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 with the power steering prototype from what I understand was an electronic assist instead of hydraulic.. Now the zimmer had a legit Hydraulic power steering setup.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are people here with more personal knowledge than me, but that is definitely not one of the missing 88 electro-hydraulic units. The mount is different and should be the same as the 88 rack. The electrical connections look more like position sense than assist wiring. The wire gauge is way too light to handle any current.

FWIW, I don't recall seeing one like this in the bone yard.

Also, a quick Google search turns up Buick Park Ave rack...

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 11-25-2013).]

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a 2001-02 Buick Park Avenue rack for sure. Google A-1 CARDONE Part # 221020.

That would make it a rear steer rack and no good for a Fiero. From the pics it appears to be rear steer. The pinion shaft is on top of the rack. Front steer racks have the pinion under the rack.

If we could find a source for FWD racks for right hand drive cars, we'd be in business.

P.S.- The Zimmer used a heavily modified Merkur XR4Ti rack.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...0223-2-030221-2.html

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For informational purposes, the 88 experimental EHPS utilized hydraulic type power steering controlled by electronics to vary the rack sensitivity with speed. A very dirty unrestored factory rack looks like this.

There are also hydraulic hoses to connect the steering rack to the power unit but I do not have current pictures of them. I will take some the next time I am in the basement.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 11-25-2013).]

bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did several searches, and never came up with the info about the Park Avenue. All the parts in the storage locker were from or for Fieros, therefore I had assumed this was to be a retrofit into a Fiero. I knew it wasn't an original Fiero rack, but had been hoping it would work. I wasn't sure that it could work because of the pinion shaft exit angle toward the steering shaft. I hadn't gotten to the front steer/rear steer issue yet. Thanks for the insight, so far.

And yes, it looks exactly like the Park Avenue version- the electrical connections being for "Magnasteer" whatever kind of assist that is. Only Buick could have it !
Anybody need a cheap Park avenue rack? Does not look like this will work.

[This message has been edited by bjc 350 (edited 11-25-2013).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is also a place in Florida that adds power steering to Fieros. This utilizes a MR2 pump and some other components but I am not very familiar with the process or parts.

http://gtservicecenter.com/

Nelson
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bjc 350:

I did several searches, and never came up with the info about the Park Avenue. All the parts in the storage locker were from or for Fieros, therefore I had assumed this was to be a retrofit into a Fiero. I knew it wasn't an original Fiero rack, but had been hoping it would work. I wasn't sure that it could work because of the pinion shaft exit angle toward the steering shaft. I hadn't gotten to the front steer/rear steer issue yet. Thanks for the insight, so far.

And yes, it looks exactly like the Park Avenue version- the electrical connections being for "Magnasteer" whatever kind of assist that is. Only Buick could have it !
Anybody need a cheap Park avenue rack? Does not look like this will work.

Left over from a 3800SC doner car most likely

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock