Quicksilver Power Steering by bwayne
Started on: 12-10-2002 07:36 PM
Replies: 85
Last post by: stevenrossi on 06-28-2003 07:03 PM
bwayne

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2002 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bwayneSend a Private Message to bwayneDirect Link to This Post
Will: Sounds like you have some interest in the Vette rack research . . by all means, go for it! Let's see what you come up with.

FJ: The EV1 wasn't based on the Storm. The project was cancelled because of America's nearly total lack of interest in the product, the changing political landscape, the huge amounts of money that GM has lost on it over the years and the brighter future that both fuel cell and hybrid technologies appear to offer. For the truly "green" of society, this project is a painful loss . . but even with considerable tax incentives, GM was only able to entice a handful of people into the experiment. In the meantime both Honda and Toyota have introduced hybrids which reach reasonable levels of efficiency and cleanliness at a fraction of the price. And those vehicles are now mass-marketed. (The EV-1 was only available in CA and AZ). So, RIP EV-1, long live its evolutionary successors.

FJ: The idea of using an electric motor to power the pump is not new. It's called electrohydraulics. IF the '89 Fiero had been produced, it would have had an EH unit running a power rack. (The '88 model test mules being the subject of many Fiero fables). In any case, in the mid-80's Subaru put EHPS on their XT-6, and then Toyota built it into the MR-2. As emissions and mileage issues have become ever more important than sales price, many new cars have some variation of EHPS now standard. Volkswagens have it, the new Saturn Vue, and several other models. Most companies have experiemented with it, and I believe you'll see it on more new cars in the coming years.

There is a weight savings in going EH, plus it does put the equipment in the front instead of <more> in the back. In addition, it removes one more belt from the motor, although the additional electrical drag will somewhat offset the lack of direct pump power drain on the usable output of the engine itself.

So will it work on a Fiero? Will it be as usable as a pulley-driven pump? I don't know. Yet. Part of my project this winter is to modify the EH equipment from a 1994 MR-2 for use in powering the Merkur rack we've been talking about in this thread. I'll have to keep you posted on that issue as it progresses. This is my busy time at work, so progress is stopped until after the first of the year. But it sure is an intriguing concept, isn't it?

IP: Logged
bwayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2002 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bwayneSend a Private Message to bwayneDirect Link to This Post

bwayne

135 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Dennis: I started this thread in the section called "Technical Discussions and Questions" for a reason. I do not understand why you feel the insatiable need to interject your negative opinion about this one subject each and every time it is mentioned, seemingly ad infinitum. I do not know you personally, and do not have any idea what your motivations might be, but I for one have grown weary of the resulting jabs and insults.

So please don't take this personally, but if I had wanted you to hijack the thread's purpose into another of your condescending digressions about the relative merits of the concept of power steering on Fieros, I would have started that philosophical meandering in the section called "General Fiero Chat" and then welcomed your predictable and vitriolic verbiage at that juncture.

Consequently, I have started a new thread in your honor in the Chat section and would appreciate it if we can keep the chats there. Leave this thread for the more technical discussion it was meant to be, OK?

Thanks,
Brian

Sootah

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2002 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SootahClick Here to visit Sootah's HomePageSend a Private Message to SootahDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Why bother? Everyone will think you are either sick, elderly, weak or severely crippled. Plus everyone else that does not have power steering will tell you what a waste it is to have in a Fiero.

If I cared what anybody else thought, why in the hell would I drive a Fiero..?

Although while screwing with my now-defunct drivers side headlight motor at the hardware store a guy complimented me on my car and mentioned how one of his buddies really wants one.

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2002 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfixit58:

Dennis,

You weren't always an A$$. What happened?

LMAO!!! Well, I think that he made a 'homemade' turbo kit and put it on a V-6 and now he think's he know's EVERYTHING and EVERYWAY that is the best way to modify a Fiero. It is either Dennis' way or the wrong way....
If it is a pointless modification in Dennis' eye's, he ALWAY'S has to drive the point home. I mean if a Fiero was meant to have a turbo Dennis, GM would have produced them that way.... another pointless modification to some people also.... But, I wonder how many folk have talked sh!t about his turbo?? Probably not many... WHY?? Because people respect, or DID respect the work you put into it and even the "doing it" factor.... It's called ...Ummm, Are you listening Dennis?? It's called just plain being "Respectful to other's"....

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2002 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
How much difference is it on an 88? Does the merker rack fit with similar modifications?
Rodney, what is in your Mera.

Dennis. Why do you have an auto. whats wrong, clutch pedal too much for you in traffic?

------------------
88 Yellow FORMULA
SSFiero@Aol.com

bwayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2002 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bwayneSend a Private Message to bwayneDirect Link to This Post
The only difference from 84-87 to 88 is the intermediate steering shaft. The rack itself works fine.
DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2002 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sootah:

If I cared what anybody else thought, why in the hell would I drive a Fiero..?

ROTFLMAO...

That would make a great club motto!!!

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2002 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Smoooooth GT:

LMAO!!! Well, I think that he made a 'homemade' turbo kit and put it on a V-6 and now he think's he know's EVERYTHING and EVERYWAY that is the best way to modify a Fiero. It is either Dennis' way or the wrong way....
If it is a pointless modification in Dennis' eye's, he ALWAY'S has to drive the point home. I mean if a Fiero was meant to have a turbo Dennis, GM would have produced them that way.... another pointless modification to some people also.... But, I wonder how many folk have talked sh!t about his turbo?? Probably not many... WHY?? Because people respect, or DID respect the work you put into it and even the "doing it" factor.... It's called ...Ummm, Are you listening Dennis?? It's called just plain being "Respectful to other's"....

It's unfortunate how some forum members wish to turn this debate into a personal matter. Your scurilous reply seems to imply that you believe we should be talking about people and not Fieros and related technical issues.
Pardon me, but where did I ever say that that I know everything? Did I ever say that my turbo was everyones solution? If you don't like my project and think that it's garbage, that's perfectly fine with me. Also please point to the post where I personally have flamed anyone.
I hope that we are here to particpate in the open exchange of ideas and opinions about Fieros and technical issues, not people. My opinion is that power steering on a Fiero is un-necessary and admitedly I do joke about it.
When someone has trouble with this opinion (or with my humor) and starts flaming away isn't that the illustration of who is really showing intolerance? Think about it.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://turbofiero.fierojoe.com/turbo.htm

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2002 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Dennis,

There are things people do to their cars that I think are silly and unnecessary too. But when I do think that, I don't say things like

"There are options on a car that cater to the sick the elderly and the weak. If you are a midget, severely crippled or Richard Simmons, power steering would be very nice to have. "

Nobody has any doubt as to what you mean when you say something like this Dennis. It's a personal slam against anyone that would like to put power steering on their car. You know it and we know it.

As Brian pointed out, and he said it in his first post, he didn't want this to end up in a debate over the merits of whether power steering was good/bad, but wanted to share technical information about the subject to other interested members. Now I know Brian can't control the flow of posts, and threads get hijacked all the time, but why do you feel the need to do it every time the subject of power steering comes up? Why do you even care?

But you can't seem to do that on this subject and that puzzles me because in most of your posts in the tech section, you're helpful and informative and knowledgeable.

When there are topics about putting a rear scoop on the decklid, or other items that don't interest me or disagree with, I either skip them entirely or don't post to them, unless there is what I believe to be wrong technical information in them. It's not my interest so it's not my business. Why, when you're not interested in the power steering conversions, do you feel the need to give those that are that unnecessary jab?

You don't like the idea of power steering in a Fiero. Fine. Now, for those of us that do, let us discuss HOW to do it without the slams and name calling, please.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

It's unfortunate how some forum members wish to turn this debate into a personal matter. Your scurilous reply seems to imply that you believe we should be talking about people and not Fieros and related technical issues.
Pardon me, but where did I ever say that that I know everything? Did I ever say that my turbo was everyones solution? If you don't like my project and think that it's garbage, that's perfectly fine with me. Also please point to the post where I personally have flamed anyone.
I hope that we are here to particpate in the open exchange of ideas and opinions about Fieros and technical issues, not people. My opinion is that power steering on a Fiero is un-necessary and admitedly I do joke about it.
When someone has trouble with this opinion (or with my humor) and starts flaming away isn't that the illustration of who is really showing intolerance? Think about it.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2002 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
John; BTW, how's your power steering working?

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://turbofiero.fierojoe.com/turbo.htm

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2002 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
My power steering works just fine Dennis, in the vehicles I have it in. I enjoy it immensely.

Unfortunately, the Finale doesn't have it. But my next N* powered project will.

Thanks for asking though. Now that I've answered your question, care to answer any of mine? I thought not.

John Stricker

John; BTW, how's your power steering working?

PFF
System Bot
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2002 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Dennis..

My reply about you was about another smart-a$$ remark from you.... He had asked you to keep the 'chatting-smartass remark's in 'CHAT'... Did you?? NO!!

Pardon me, but where did I ever say that that I know everything? Did I ever say that my turbo was everyones solution? If you don't like my project and think that it's garbage, that's perfectly fine with me.

I think that you turbo project was a 'break-through' for the Fiero V-6 .... You did a GREAT job on it also... I never said that it was a Solution for everyone... Sorry if you took it like that...

Yes, We are here to exchange idea's, ALSO sometime's people make comment's that they should keep to thier selve's and it turn's out like this.. sorry
Also, When did you ever say here that you were 'joking' about it?? I can't find it on my monitor, it must be broke .... sorry!!

Dennis....

Yes, I have thought about it. Did I make the the comment...
quoted:
"There are options on a car that cater to the sick the elderly and the weak. If you are a midget, severely crippled or Richard Simmons, power steering would be very nice to have."

I think that this should stop now...

If you don't like it.... OR if you are jokiing like you claim... Then post a " "

I think that someone else should also think...

ps... OH, I'm done!!

maybe

------------------

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com
Have you RATED me today??

FieroLT1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2002 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLT1Click Here to visit FieroLT1's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroLT1Direct Link to This Post
Yeap, another nice and interesting thread down in flames, all thanks the "LaGrua" exceptional input.

If I remember correctly we only need 50 negative votes to have this KnowItAll troll out of here and for good.

How about it folks. I know my vote is in.
Let's see if we can get that RED bar going for him huh?!

------------------
Winston Ojeda
88 Fiero Formula LT1
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
http://www.FieroLT1.com
Home of the Fiero LT1

[This message has been edited by FieroLT1 (edited 12-16-2002).]

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2002 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I disagree.

I don't think that in this case Dennis worked and played well with others, but if we start giving negatives to people because they got a little snippy about their pet peeves then this would be a small forum indeed. I don't think that's what Cliff had in mind.

I'm pretty quick to hand out the + ratings, and Dennis even has one from me for other posts.

That's why I phrased my posts in this thread as a question. Why does it bother him so much? I'd really like to know, but I'm not going to give him a - just because it does.

I save the - ratings for the dude16 caliber of post, and Dennis has a long way to go to get there. He's a contributor and, most of the time, a giver of knowledge here.

That doesn't deserve a - .

John Stricker

Originally posted by FieroLT1:

Yeap, another nice and interesting thread down in flames, all thanks the "LaGrua" exceptional input.

If I remember correctly we only need 50 negative votes to have this KnowItAll troll out of here and for good.

How about it folks. I know my vote is in.
Let's see if we can get that RED bar going for him huh?!

[This message has been edited by jstricker (edited 12-16-2002).]

bwayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2002 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bwayneSend a Private Message to bwayneDirect Link to This Post
I agree with John on this latest point. The forum is here for all of us to exchange ideas, facts and opinions. If all of us had the same ideas . . well, what would there be to exchange?? We need the different opinions, even if we don't agree with them. Of course, HOW and WHEN those opinions are delivered factors greatly into how we will view them as well.

The problem is that sometimes the threads take turns we can't predict . . in this case it has gone from facts and details about power steering to the philosophies both for and against wanting power steering in the first place to tolerance of personally offensive comments to, now, the conceptual basis for the forum's very existence. Hmmm. Wouldn't the psychologists love this one!?!

So I re-state my plea from the end of last week: PLEASE let's return this thread to a discussion of the Zimmer/Quicksilver/Merkur power steering and its possibilities. If you'd like to discuss whether or not power steering users are inherently weaker than other Fiero drivers, internet etiquette as a whole, or anything else for that matter, let's hop over to Chat or O/T where those conversations belong!

Thanks,
Brian

bwayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2002 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bwayneSend a Private Message to bwayneDirect Link to This Post

bwayne

135 posts
Member since Nov 1999
I have had several off-list inquiries about obtaining racks. Rodney has researched this idea for some time and it would be great if he decides to develop it. I think that the problem will still be cost. (Elasticity of demand for you economics people).

So . . for those of you who are truly interested, let's split the idea into two parts: First is rack/shaft purchase and modification. Second is hydraulic source. For a stock-engined car, you need both of these parts. For an engine-swapped car you don't need the hydraulic source because the donor engine (3800, N*, SBC, whatever) won't be able to use the bracketry for the Fiero engine, and the necessary equipment may already be there anyway.

The original "kit" in its latest variation was about $750 for the rack/shaft part and about $500 for the hydraulic source part.

If we could guarantee X number of units being sold, this may be somewhat lower. And at SOME price we can certainly reproduce what's been done in the past. It's just a matter of whether it can be done at a price that makes it "doable".

So the marketing question of the day is, then, "How much would YOU be willing spend on each part of this?" A second question then, "IF you could buy it for that, WOULD YOU?"

Have a great Monday!
Brian

Sootah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2002 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SootahClick Here to visit Sootah's HomePageSend a Private Message to SootahDirect Link to This Post
Just got back from the gym. Man would I have LOVED P/S for that drive home.

I plan on either a N* or 3800SC (N* is more my style, but I think the 3800 will be easier for now) swap in the semi-near future, so I'd need just the rack and other misc parts that go along with it.

Rodney's products are always fairly priced. I'm sure those of us that really want it could afford it. I mean, hell, people pay $400 for a set of freaking rocker panels. I think I could handle $400-$600 for some sweet-ass power steering.

Get to it Rodney!

------------------

Nobody likes a loser, be a cheater.
RAPE ME!! Er, wait, no.. That's not quite right.. RATE ME!

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2002 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
We have to have a database of PDF's on all of these swaps and conversions...etc. I'd be glad to be the man to put them together and if someone can e-mail me with all of the info they know and pics and i'd be glad to make a PDF on this swap. I'm very intersted in this is a possibilty...unfortunatly i'm famaliar with a Murker or any of the cars, except of course the Corvette. I'd like to have someone explain this in extreme detail

~Parts needed to make the swap happen
~Car and car model and years to find such parts
~Process of modification of tie rod ends...etc

Gimme more INFO! I'm starving for it!

------------------
Steven Rossi
2M4 Cadero Converted to Aero Notch Back
Visit my website at http://members.rogers.com/jrossi
E-mail me with any questions at steven.rossi@rogers.com
Please rate me if you appreciate my contribution to the Forum

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2002 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post

So the marketing question of the day is, then, "How much would YOU be willing spend on each part of this?" A second question then, "IF you could buy it for that, WOULD YOU?"

Most of the interest seems to come from people who want to know how to do it, not people who want to know where to buy it. I wouldn't spend $1250 to add power steering.

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2002 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rockcrawl:

Most of the interest seems to come from people who want to know how to do it, not people who want to know where to buy it. I wouldn't spend $1250 to add power steering.

Exactly...this would be one of those projects i'd do myself...i'm not very interested in kits. I'd just want to know how to do it...which option of parts would I be able to chose from and what 'snags' have the people that have done it come into.

I'd just like to know as much info as possible!

------------------
Steven Rossi
2M4 Cadero Converted to Aero Notch Back
Visit my website at http://members.rogers.com/jrossi
E-mail me with any questions at steven.rossi@rogers.com
Please rate me if you appreciate my contribution to the Forum

Sootah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2002 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SootahClick Here to visit Sootah's HomePageSend a Private Message to SootahDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rockcrawl:

True. I'd much rather do it myself, but if I pre-modified rack were available and reasonably priced, I'd consider it.

PFF
System Bot
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2002 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by bwayne:

I have had several off-list inquiries about obtaining racks. Rodney has researched this idea for some time and it would be great if he decides to develop it. I think that the problem will still be cost. (Elasticity of demand for you economics people).

So . . for those of you who are truly interested, let's split the idea into two parts: First is rack/shaft purchase and modification. Second is hydraulic source. For a stock-engined car, you need both of these parts. For an engine-swapped car you don't need the hydraulic source because the donor engine (3800, N*, SBC, whatever) won't be able to use the bracketry for the Fiero engine, and the necessary equipment may already be there anyway.

The original "kit" in its latest variation was about $750 for the rack/shaft part and about $500 for the hydraulic source part.

If we could guarantee X number of units being sold, this may be somewhat lower. And at SOME price we can certainly reproduce what's been done in the past. It's just a matter of whether it can be done at a price that makes it "doable".

Have a great Monday!
Brian

bwayne -- I like your approach. I am planing on a engine swap in the future and it will come from a car that already has power steering so the pump will already be attached. So, breaking it up into two separate segments seems logical.

I'm also a real do-it-yourselfer so I'm more interested in obtaining information then the actual parts. I pretty confident that I can modify the rack and re-thread the shaft ends. I equally confident that I can shorten the intermediant shaft. Where I may need help is aquiring the bolted collets and, maybe, the brackets needed to properly mount the rack.

In short, I'd be more apt to buy a kit that contains the collets, brackets and detailed instructions on the modifications needed to fit the rack. Then, I can either do the modifications myself or have one of the local metal fabricaters take care of it for me. For a rack kit like this, I would think that it would be worth somewhere between $100$200.

------------------
Roy :D
Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Sootah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2002 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SootahClick Here to visit Sootah's HomePageSend a Private Message to SootahDirect Link to This Post

I'm also a real do-it-yourselfer so I'm more interested in obtaining information then the actual parts. I pretty confident that I can modify the rack and re-thread the shaft ends. I equally confident that I can shorten the intermediant shaft. Where I may need help is aquiring the bolted collets and, maybe, the brackets needed to properly mount the rack.

In short, I'd be more apt to buy a kit that contains the collets, brackets and detailed instructions on the modifications needed to fit the rack. Then, I can either do the modifications myself or have one of the local metal fabricaters take care of it for me. For a rack kit like this, I would think that it would be worth somewhere between $100$200.

Perfect.

Sootah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2002 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SootahClick Here to visit Sootah's HomePageSend a Private Message to SootahDirect Link to This Post

Sootah

2457 posts
Member since May 2001
Page 2 my ass. Bump1
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
...sigh...

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 12-18-2002).]

bwayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bwayneSend a Private Message to bwayneDirect Link to This Post
I am going to try to put together what I can on the rack itself. This part of the equation appears to be of the most interest to people.

Starting point: Merkur Xr4ti PS rack, rebuilt price $230-$245.

Tie rod ends: Standard Fiero, using standard threaded adjustment sleeves

We know that the engineering of this part will work, because it's been done before. So the question is, "What has to be done to make this work?"

Simple answer: There are two problems we have to solve--first, connecting the steering shaft. Second, mounting the rack in the car.

I'll write up each of those in separate posts.

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by bwayne:

So the question is, "What has to be done to make this work?"

Simple answer: There are two problems we have to solve--first, connecting the steering shaft. Second, mounting the rack in the car.

I'll write up each of those in separate posts.

That's the ticket! I'm looking for to some details.

------------------
Roy :D
Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

bwayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bwayneSend a Private Message to bwayneDirect Link to This Post
Reference Points

Thanks to Randolph for pictures posted previously and re-posted here. This first picture is both the stock Fiero and a stock Merkur rack. Following are two closeups, one of the Fiero pinion shaft and the second of the Merkur pinion shaft. Note the length of the shaft and the shape, although it is difficult to see in the picture.

The next post will have details of the mods to this part of the Merkur rack.

bwayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bwayneSend a Private Message to bwayneDirect Link to This Post

bwayne

135 posts
Member since Nov 1999
The first thing is that the shaft itself must be shortened to exactly 2". Although I have never seen the Merkur rack in its original form, inspection of the modified unit shows that this shaft is not a single piece. There seems to be a shaft over a shorter stub with a shear pin or something holding them together. These need to be lined up properly, so my guess is that the shortening must be done with the pieces put together--not separated, cut and reconnected. Someone with an original rack may be able to shed more light on this detail.

In shortening the shaft I think that heat buildup will be an issue, so machining it may be necessary. (Sawing will create a lot of heat and damage the seals which are only two inches away).

Once the shaft is shortened, it needs to be reshaped to match the Fiero's stock intermediate steering shaft. Although it defies description easily, inspection of the stock Fiero rack should show the desired shape that it is required. Again, heat will be an issue, so machining is most likely the best method of doing the work.

Following are several pictures of the modified rack from different angles and distances. Hopefully the combination of these shots will give you a feel for how the finished unit should look.

So that's the pinion shaft. In the next post I will show and describe the mounting point changes.

bwayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bwayneSend a Private Message to bwayneDirect Link to This Post

bwayne

135 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Now to the mounting points. Both sides of the Merkur rack need modifications in order to mount in the proper position. I am going to split up the discussion into the right (passenger) and left (driver) side mods.

Again, a point of reference. Thanks to Howard Sacks for having posted these shots earlier. This is the right side of the rack, mounted in the car with the standard Fiero clamps. Note the position of the clamp in relation to the black clamps on the rack.

Now here's a repeat of Randolph's picture of the original Merkur rack. Note that the right side (which is on the left in this picture) has a flange that is part of the casing. This must be machined off. Again, not having an original here hampers my ability to describe this further.

Here is how the modified rack looks:

Compare the pics of the modified rack to the ones of the unit mounted in the car to see how the mounting clamp fits between the compression clamps.

Next post we'll see the left side mods.

[This message has been edited by bwayne (edited 12-18-2002).]

bwayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bwayneSend a Private Message to bwayneDirect Link to This Post

bwayne

135 posts
Member since Nov 1999
So now we're to the left (driver's) side of the car. Here is a picture, again with credit to Howard Sacks, of the left side:

The stock Merkur rack must be machined to give it a flat mounting point. If you hadn't removed the tubing previously, it must be removed from the rack in order to do this. Here are several pictures which detail the work. The goal is to make the mount point flat, and the rest round to accept the standard Fiero mounting clamp. I took the pics from up, down and sideways so you can get a better idea of what it should look like.

<Continued in next post>

PFF
System Bot
bwayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bwayneSend a Private Message to bwayneDirect Link to This Post

bwayne

135 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Left side modifications, continued:

Sorry about all the pics on that, but the machined areas are on all sides of it and you can't see all of it from any angle.

In the next post we'll talk about the intermediate steering shaft.

bwayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2002 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bwayneSend a Private Message to bwayneDirect Link to This Post
Here is how the completed installation should look:

(And thanks for a 3rd time to Howard Sacks)

The modification to the intermediate shaft is simply to section and re-weld it. Unfortunately, I don't have this part here, so I cannot tell you exactly how much to remove nor give you a picture of it. It should be about 2" shorter, but I'd get the rack mounted first and check to be sure of the exact length that is needed. When I get a shaft made, I will update the post to include this detail.

Now a bit of philosophy:

This is not the only way to put power steering in your Fiero. But it is a proven way to do it and it has several advantages. Although expensive, the parts you need are available and there are cars which have it that are available to inspect in several parts of the country.

More importantly, the design itself is safe. The original concept was not designed as a one-off. Instead, it was engineered to be mass-produced by a company who sold high-line conversions. Because of this, it is safe, functional and repairable. The geometry is correct and the mounting is secure. That is not to say that other methods of accomplishing this goal would not meet these standards, but the fact remains that there were hundreds of examples of this implementation.

Hope these were the details y'all were looking for.

Brian

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post12-19-2002 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
Nice writeup Brian.
bwayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2002 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bwayneSend a Private Message to bwayneDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Howard. Steven--is this what you needed to start the PDF you mentioned?
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2002 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
The pictures and write-up are great. Keep them comming.

Roy

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2002 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

The pictures and write-up are great. Keep them comming.

I second that!

bwayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bwayneSend a Private Message to bwayneDirect Link to This Post
February update: I have pics now of the intermediate steering shaft, both original and modified. I'm having trouble with PIP, so I'll post them as soon as I can upload the pics successfully.

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Did you guys check out Boomtastics web site. He has the Autoweek Fiero videos posted there. In one of them, they show the power steering they were going to put in the Fiero. It was a self contained electric unit that seemed to be mounted to the front trunk. It probably just had an electric hook up as the pump, reservoir, and the rest of the stuff was right there in an upright rectangular container.
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Seeing this stuff again reminds me... Here is an article from a magazine (don't know which one...) from 1987 with a brief description / test of the 4WS system.. There's a much larger picture if you click on the link at the bottom... http://home.attbi.com/~rice_burner_98/fiero/four_wheel_steer_big.jpg

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '87 Mutt, a work in progress! (Got my 3800SC, installation in progress!!!)

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock