Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Is this beauty a 2014 Fiero? (Page 2)

Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: Other Cars.
Is this beauty a 2014 Fiero? by David Hambleton
Started on: 11-16-2013 07:53 PM
Replies: 54 (2155 views)
Last post by: mattwa on 02-26-2014 11:31 PM
germangt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for germangtSend a Private Message to germangtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

Certainly not priced like a Fiero.

I don't understand anybody who is buying an fiat-group car. They are all offerpriced and you can be sure to spend much more money very soon for repairing it. Poor qualitiy electronics and cheap materials. If one electronic fails you have to replace two others too, because they are not compatible to the replacment. I have to repair them very often at bussines. So i know what i'm talking about.
IP: Logged
fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the new Corvette!

[This message has been edited by fierobug (edited 02-23-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Really? So you're telling me they had Triple-cone bronze synchronizers 100 years ago?

Automatics are convenient in traffic, but otherwise IMO are boring.

Get real. You know I mean standard transmission as you shift them manually and its driven by a clutch. To be an azz, can you PROVE they didnt have triple cone bronze synchronizers in the 19teens ? If you like moving a gearshift, just manually shift your automatic. I find manually shifting is over rated. It used to be in the 60s standards were cheaper to repair and got better gas mileage. Same is no longer true on both counts. As already pointed out, even the highest dollar sports cars are doing away with standards completrely...or do you not consider something like a Porsche GT3 a sports car ?

fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEu6d8epDMs#t=48
The Alfa Romeo 4C at the Goodwood hillclimb.

[This message has been edited by fierogtlt1 (edited 02-23-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-23-2014 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
or do you not consider something like a Porsche GT3 a sports car ?

No. It's a de-tuned race car with some amenities added.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That can be said about ANY sports car since thats what they pretty much all are. Is a Mini also a detuned race car ? There are many 'race cars' sold to be driven on the street...Corvettes, Vipers, Mustangs, Camaros, any Porsche or Ferrari....Lots of SCCA race cars are driven to the race tracks.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to think this would be the new fiero!

Chelo Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chelo FieroClick Here to visit Chelo Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chelo FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Ahhh! And a lot of people here complain about the hood rod of the Fiero.... What a shame Alfa...
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Top Gear did a challenge with this car in the current season.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Get real. You know I mean standard transmission as you shift them manually and its driven by a clutch. To be an azz, can you PROVE they didnt have triple cone bronze synchronizers in the 19teens ? If you like moving a gearshift, just manually shift your automatic. I find manually shifting is over rated. It used to be in the 60s standards were cheaper to repair and got better gas mileage. Same is no longer true on both counts. As already pointed out, even the highest dollar sports cars are doing away with standards completrely...or do you not consider something like a Porsche GT3 a sports car ?

Manually shifting an auto isn't the same, I like my manuals for fun, I do agree though that they aren't effective at high speeds in racing. Yes way back then, they didn't even have synchronizers that I know.

Also, my daily driver is a manual and gets significantly better gas mileage than the automatic version. I drive a 2012 chevy cruze eco manual, rated at 42 highway, I have been getting an average of 45+. The is rated at 39 highway. I love that .62 6th gear in my car.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-26-2014).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I find it amusing that people love a 100 year old designed standard transmission instead of a computerized one, but love their brakes controlled by a computer.

Apples and oranges as I see it. Manual transmissions allows you to control the gearing while ABS / Traction Control help you stop /drive in a more controlled manner.... something that can not always be corrected as quick as a computer. But I know you like your non-ABS brakes... For me, I would rather have ABS / Traction control, which helps keep the rear in from swinging out on the ice pack roads, but my winters are only 6 months long.

(manual tranny in my HHR, with ABS / Traction Control).... yup, love the combination of old and new.

BTW... added... in no way is manual shifting comparable to moving an auto tranny controller.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 02-26-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-26-2014 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also, my daily driver is a manual and gets significantly better gas mileage than the automatic version. I drive a 2012 chevy cruze eco manual, rated at 42 highway, I have been getting an average of 45+. The is rated at 39 highway. I love that .62 6th gear in my car.

I had an Eco for a while. They have a 6 speed auto now with pretty much the same ratios as the manuals, and are rated at 42 MPG as well.

And the Z06 Vette 6th gear is like 0.50, with a 3.42 final gear. The Cruze Eco final is like 3.83. Too bad one can't shove the Vette gearbox into a Fiero.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I had an Eco for a while. They have a 6 speed auto now with pretty much the same ratios as the manuals, and are rated at 42 MPG as well.

And the Z06 Vette 6th gear is like 0.50, with a 3.42 final gear. The Cruze Eco final is like 3.83. Too bad one can't shove the Vette gearbox into a Fiero.

Nope, only the manual gets that 6th gear ratio, and the auto is still rated at 39 highway even for 2014. Go look it up.

The new corvette has a 7 speed as well.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-26-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nope, only the manual gets that 6th gear ratio, and the auto is still rated at 39 highway even for 2014. Go look it up.

The new corvette has a 7 speed as well.

Available automatic transmission offering an EPA-estimated 42 MPG† highway

Straight from http://www.chevrolet.com/cr...car/specs/trims.html The new diesel version gets better MPG though of course.

And the new Vette 7 speed isn't to get a lower gear for economy. It's to have more gears between 1st and top, with closer ratios.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Available automatic transmission offering an EPA-estimated 42 MPG† highway

Straight from http://www.chevrolet.com/cr...car/specs/trims.html The new diesel version gets better MPG though of course.

And the new Vette 7 speed isn't to get a lower gear for economy. It's to have more gears between 1st and top, with closer ratios.

Didn't you notice the note/link by "42"? It says "EPA-estimated 28 city/42 highway with 1.4L ecotech turbocharged engine and 6 speed manual transmission with eco overdrive gear set. If you look at the EPA website, the ECO automatic cruze is rated at 26/39, and the Eco manual is rated at 28/42, which is exactly what the GM website says as well. The eco automatic uses the same automatic as the rest of the 1.4T equipped Cruzes, while the eco manual gearset is unique. Furthermore, the eco manual is the only Cruze with a 12 gallon tank compared to 15, and had the rear armrest deleted for weight savings.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-26-2014).]

This thread has been moved here: Other Cars.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock