Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Is this beauty a 2014 Fiero? (Page 1)

Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: Other Cars.
Is this beauty a 2014 Fiero? by David Hambleton
Started on: 11-16-2013 07:53 PM
Replies: 54 (2155 views)
Last post by: mattwa on 02-26-2014 11:31 PM
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.roadandtrack.com...ick=main_sr#slide-14

2014 Alfa Romeo 4C:
Mid engine 2 seater;
4 cylinder; (4 wildly ferocious cylinders, mind you);
Front design drivetrain module transplanted to the rear;
Wishbone front suspension;
MacPherson strut rear suspension;
manual steering;
SMC panels on monocoque sub frame;
Estimated 2500 lbs in North American street ready trim (according to Road & Track).

Does this list seem familiar to anyone?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

http://www.roadandtrack.com...ick=main_sr#slide-14

4 cylinder; (4 wildly ferocious cylinders, mind you)

And not one decent picture of the engine bay!
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure sounds similar, but I wish it looked different, those headlights are absolutely terrible.
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Certainly not priced like a Fiero.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

Sure sounds similar, but I wish it looked different, those headlights are absolutely terrible.

I can deal with those, it's the flappy paddle transmission that I dislike.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The dash is almost as hideous as the front end Also as mentioned, not priced like a Fiero.

which starts at 53,000 euros ($71,000)

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/art...percar#ixzz2krrzgYxz
Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook

I've never understood why people like Alfa Romeo styling? All their front ends hurt my eyes.

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 11-16-2013).]

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

I can deal with those, it's the flappy paddle transmission that I dislike.

This is my biggest complaint with most cars today.....the lack of a real manual transmission. You can't buy a Ferrari with a stick and Lamborghini is almost there too. I read that Porsche is going to say goodbye to the traditional manual transmission soon as well (this is the first year that the top if the line GT3 is only available with a PDK). I personally don't care if they're easier to drive or shift in 10 milliseconds or get better mileage, etc. I want a clutch pedal and a stick so I can row through the gears at my discretion.....not at the whims of a computer program.

I kinda like the Alfa 4C's styling, but won't buy one because of it's lack of a manual tranny. Petty? Probably, but that's how I feel.
lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:
I kinda like the Alfa 4C's styling, but won't buy one because of it's lack of a manual tranny. Petty? Probably, but that's how I feel.

So what... If you can pony up the $55K (or more) for the car, then you could easily do an engine swap on it. Hell that car is pretty to look at, but a 1.7 liter turbo engine with only ~240HP??? If you can afford $55K for that car, then you can afford to have someone swap in a more powerful driveline with a truly manual trans.

Look at all the Lotus Elise's out there with turbocharged Ecotec swaps that use a GM transmission that will mate with the Ecotec.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be the first to admit that I need to lose weight...but this is far too small for me to comfortably use as a daily driver. If it isn't going to be a daily driver, then it is a toy. If I am going to have a toy, I want a removable top and a manual transmission. I understand the desire for a new car...but I don't see a single advantage to this car over the Lotus Elise (which you can get for much cheaper).
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is my biggest complaint with most cars today.....the lack of a real manual transmission. You can't buy a Ferrari with a stick and Lamborghini is almost there too. I read that Porsche is going to say goodbye to the traditional manual transmission soon as well (this is the first year that the top if the line GT3 is only available with a PDK). I personally don't care if they're easier to drive or shift in 10 milliseconds or get better mileage, etc. I want a clutch pedal and a stick so I can row through the gears at my discretion.....not at the whims of a computer program.

I agree... its sad but I'm willing to bet that my generation will see the death of the standard transmission.

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I'm all over the place on this topic. I've been a fan of the lotus Elise for a long time and I've been bidding on Tesla roadsters which have no transmission at all. My 55 Austin Healy had a 5.0 with an automatic and the first thing I did was convert it to a floor shift four speed. My Fiero based Replica has a paddle shift automatic. I was always of the opinion that a sports car should have a manual floor shift tranny. I started to reconsider that when formula one began to have paddle shifters and the advantage was obvious. They did it for performance, not style. Most of my car friends outside of the Fiero circle have old stick shifts. I like Alfa style a bit more than the Bugatti Veyron that has a grill reminding me of the Edsel. The Edsel grill looked like an old horse collar to me. In conclusion my favorite Fiero reincarnations are the Lotus Elise and the Tesla roadster, it's electric version. I haven't been in a lotus, but the Tesla is ferocious.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you see the Top Gear episode recently where they got on a road race course and dragstrip and ran a stock new Corvette and a Tesla 4 dr sedan. ? The Tesla outdragged it and turned a faster laps running both head to head...not each by itself against a clock. Id have to assume the roadster is even better.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 11-19-2013).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Your not alone regarding wanting to drive the car rather than the car driving you . Many Z owners loathe Datsuns decision to soften the Z . And with the 280ZX, boy did they ever!
Kit
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

But they had a great picture of the cup holder.

------------------

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice pic of the engine cover from Yellowstone.

Begs the question; if they're trying to save weight, why a cover?

If you're trying to sell an 'enthusiast's sports car' wouldn't it be better to have an engine bay that displays an attractive piece of machinery that the car guys crowd around to admire & discuss?

That could be piece of Italian Alfa Romeo branded luggage in the trunk!
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Certainly not a fiero...sorry.
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Now if they would only ditch the engine cover and have it chrome like the top end of a Alfa Romeo 164 engine.
fierocarb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarbSend a Private Message to fierocarbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I work in sales at a car dealership and I can tell you for certain that I almost never get asked about a manual transmission. I also have kids that are 16 and 18 and I can tell you that unless they are taught by a parent none of these kids have a clue how to drive a stick. From a mass production stand point with demand being so low I am not surprised one bit that manuals are dying out. From a dealership standpoint even if the car is offered in a manual you will not see it on the lot because the dealer is only going to stock what they can sell quickly.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, manuals are on the way out.... sad, but people just are not buying them for everyday cars, which is probably 90% of the use for most cars
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002
PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

Now if they would only ditch the engine cover and have it chrome like the top end of a Alfa Romeo 164 engine.

Many of the new engines are so cluttered looking that they have to have an engine cover. Mine included.
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kinda looks like an Elise ate an Edsel.

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 11-22-2013).]

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe the car is a Alfa Romeo.
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

I believe the car is a Alfa Romeo.

Thanks Captain Obvious.
Sonny Burnett 21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Burnett 21Send a Private Message to Sonny Burnett 21Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be nice too see a new age fiero. I think gm should team with alfa motors and use that frame and make a concept fiero. jest to see what it would look like. and make it with a choice of a 4cyl V6 or a V8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

Kinda look like an Elise ate an Edsel.

It does
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

Thanks Captain Obvious.

:-)
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

:-)
Sorry had to say it...

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

The list of attractive Fiero features doesn't include the headlights...

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 02-21-2014).]

Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2014 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alpha really needs to stop with adding that disgusting front end to all of their vehicles..
PFF
System Bot
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As clean as they get .93 cobra R 302 and yes only 107 were produced in 93. This one i cut out in Norman Okla after being wrapped around a tree. The absents of everything of the late model motors just makes a beautiful statement in any engine bay. as with the SC3800 the way people unclutter the motor and simplify the wiring are making true art out of a cluttered mess.The old addage stands true Less is More.

[This message has been edited by dematrix86gt (edited 02-22-2014).]

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't like it at all. It looks like a Pontiac Solstice. Just my opinion though.
Nebiros88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I had to pick a "new age" fiero it would be the Lotus Evora
conan469

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for conan469Click Here to visit conan469's HomePageSend a Private Message to conan469Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aren't alfa romeo and fiat connected?
That means since fiat is hooked up with chrysler the alfa would be dodge or srt car if they brought it here not under the alfa name
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
I agree... its sad but I'm willing to bet that my generation will see the death of the standard transmission.

I find it amusing that people love a 100 year old designed standard transmission instead of a computerized one, but love their brakes controlled by a computer.

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK. Found a new dream car
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want one, now. I am waiting for my lottery numbers to come in.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I find it amusing that people love a 100 year old designed standard transmission instead of a computerized one, but love their brakes controlled by a computer.

Really? So you're telling me they had Triple-cone bronze synchronizers 100 years ago?

Automatics are convenient in traffic, but otherwise IMO are boring.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-22-2014 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:
Automatics are convenient in traffic, but otherwise IMO are boring.

They seem pretty damn convenient for F1 and Indy car drivers.

Manuals are fun to drive at slow speeds, but for pure speed and acceleration, computers will win.
This thread has been moved here: Other Cars.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock