Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Question on installing my amplifer for sub.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Question on installing my amplifer for sub. by FieroCanada
Started on: 11-07-2013 11:42 PM
Replies: 10 (307 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 11-11-2013 12:49 PM
FieroCanada

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im bad in general with these things, but how can I go about getting the wire from the amp thru the firewall out to the battery?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drill a hole or run it through the center console... id drill though.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/130847.html

You had one answer in the thread you started on this in Tech. As said there, you have several posible ways to approach this. You can find an existing grommet in the firewall (most likely in the center console area behind or near the ECM) and run a wire through it or you can pop a hole through the firewall wherever you want so long as you don't hit anything on the other side, install a grommet and run your wire through it. You could even pop a hole in the center console or floor and do the same thing, although I wouldn't recommend that. Also amplifier placement will probably come into play as to what is easiest and also battery location (you didn't mention if your battery was in stock location or had been relocated). If the battery has been relocated to the front spare tire compartment as some people have done, then you'd need to run the power wire the other way and find one of the grommets att hat end of the car or drill a hole and install a grommet at that end. Basically, for a better answer, you need to give us more info.
FieroCanada

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/130847.html

You had one answer in the thread you started on this in Tech. As said there, you have several posible ways to approach this. You can find an existing grommet in the firewall (most likely in the center console area behind or near the ECM) and run a wire through it or you can pop a hole through the firewall wherever you want so long as you don't hit anything on the other side, install a grommet and run your wire through it. You could even pop a hole in the center console or floor and do the same thing, although I wouldn't recommend that. Also amplifier placement will probably come into play as to what is easiest and also battery location (you didn't mention if your battery was in stock location or had been relocated). If the battery has been relocated to the front spare tire compartment as some people have done, then you'd need to run the power wire the other way and find one of the grommets att hat end of the car or drill a hole and install a grommet at that end. Basically, for a better answer, you need to give us more info.

o wth!, thought that thread disappeared or was deleted so i created this one.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL, it happens .
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put my amp behind the passenger seat and ran the wire under the carpet towards the dash. Then I pushed one of the rubber couplers aside (the ones that go from the body to the doors and protects the wires) I ran the wire through that inside the front fender and then under the car near the coolant line. No drilling required.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Big Paul:

I put my amp behind the passenger seat and ran the wire under the carpet towards the dash. Then I pushed one of the rubber couplers aside (the ones that go from the body to the doors and protects the wires) I ran the wire through that inside the front fender and then under the car near the coolant line. No drilling required.

That's a awful long path for the wire. While I can appreciate the ease of not drilling a hole, it is generally excepted that keeping the wires as short as possible is best. The longer run a wire has to make the larger the gauge needs to be because of internal resistence. You ended up with proibably around 15' of wire when you could have been less than 4' with where you have the amplifier mounted. It's all good though, it is another option for installing the power wire. I just want him to be aware of what each option will mean.
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't bother drilling a hole. I ran it through the grommet with the shift cable. Very easy job, the center console and all that come apart quickly.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

I didn't bother drilling a hole. I ran it through the grommet with the shift cable. Very easy job, the center console and all that come apart quickly.

I did the same in mine, especially since I mounted my amp in the center console, it just made sense.
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2013 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

That's a awful long path for the wire. While I can appreciate the ease of not drilling a hole, it is generally excepted that keeping the wires as short as possible is best. The longer run a wire has to make the larger the gauge needs to be because of internal resistence. You ended up with proibably around 15' of wire when you could have been less than 4' with where you have the amplifier mounted. It's all good though, it is another option for installing the power wire. I just want him to be aware of what each option will mean.

There will be more internal resistance, and I cannot remember what gauge of wire it is. but I haven't had any problems with it, and at the time it seemed like the best idea because I didn't have a drill and didn't know it would fit in the gromet for the shift cable.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's no sense drilling a hole when there are so many holes in the firewall already. You can sneak the wire through a shifter cable grommet as mentioned above, or the throttle cable grommet. Or if you wanna get fancy, you can open up one of the firewall pass-throughs for the wiring harness, and run the wire through there.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock