Should I buy this Fiero? by EpiK
Started on: 10-31-2013 09:38 AM
Replies: 19 (959 views)
Last post by: project34 on 11-30-2013 09:55 AM
EpiK

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EpiKSend a Private Message to EpiKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I just got enough money to buy a new car since my last one broke down and I ran into this really nice Fiero. I looked at the car fax and it did have one accident but it was all the way back in 1991. There is not too many where I live and I am not sure if it is overpriced and I had a few questions in general about the Fiero.

Anyway here is the link to the car listing:

http://www.saloghuse.com/j2.../1abd/s8/uqgl/exc/76

It has 108k miles and is a 5 speed. To me it seems like the only work done to this car seems to be the exterior as it still has the 2.8L V6. The price seems a bit high but I am not quite sure.

So if you guys don't mind me asking few questions that would be great.

Should I buy this Fiero at this price or keep looking?

How is the insurance on this car? I am 19 and I think they classify this car as a sports car.

How long does the stock engine usually last?

I plan on doing an engine swap after the stock one gives off. What would be the best engine to put it to get around a low 12 high 11 quarter mile?

Are these cars hard to work on since it is a mid-engine car?

Are parts hard to find?

How are you guys doing today?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

[This message has been edited by EpiK (edited 10-31-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car looks pretty good, as far as price its al about what you are willing to pay. The stock 2.8 is a pretty good motor, just underpowered, but they last forever if taken care of. If you want an 11-12 second car you will want a 3800 swap either turbo or supercharged. Around your area there are tons of fieros for sale, just depends on how far you want to drive to go get it. If you are just doing liability insurance it should not be too bad, but that all depends on insurance factors. Personally I would hold out for an 88 model, better suspension and brakes to start with but getting harder to find suspension parts for. It all depends on your mechanical ability on how hard these little cars are to work on, I myself find them very easy now but i have owned mine since 97. Since you are up north, make sure you check the car over really carefully for rust. Some of the places you should be looking is at the engine cradle, and the trunk under the carpet. Just remember 95% of these vehicle are project cars, something will be wrong with whatever you buy.

here is a really nice example of what is around you.

http://detroit.craigslist.o.../cto/4115829643.html

http://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/4127671809.html

Here is an already swapped one for you as well dont know if he has sold it yet.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/066389.html

Welcome to the Forum and the madness.

Hywel
EpiK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EpiKSend a Private Message to EpiKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks a lot for all the information and the welcome. I guess I could wait it out because the most I probably could drive is a few hours away since I do not have a car and someone would have to take me out there to get it. Not too many people are fond of driving 6 hours in a day ( But I Am xD ). But regardless the ones you posted are not too bad. Just haven't decided if I wanted to actually make it a project or just buy it with most of the work done already.

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Without closer inspection of the underside and underneath the trunk carpet for rust damage, hard to say. The car has Gen 1 headlights that are up, maybe the motors need a rebuild. www.rodneydickman.com has the parts. The steering wheel has the typical "smush" feature ie the inside has melted. If the 2.8 engine has been maintaned, I know of some that have reached 300,000 miles. My 87 has 145,000 ( I bought new) and has never been apart.

Price "GUIDE" http://www.paulvargyas.com/Price%20Guide.htm

To get a Fiero to 11-12, you will spend some real $$$ to get it done right, or you will need to have some expertise to do it right. Getting another cradle for the replacement engine, so you can do all the work on engine build and still have a car to drive, would be my suggestion as this do-it-yourself project will take more time than you will expect.

Engine for 11-12 sec, a 3800SC may go it or an LS V8.. www.v8archie.com Some will suggest getting an engine from a junk car, and you will get what you will pay for...junk.
EpiK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EpiKSend a Private Message to EpiKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I am going to be looking at it sometime this week and I know that it will cost some money to make the car pull those numbers. I don't plan on doing anything major until I have enough money to go about what I want to do and that won't be until at least next summer. It's all going to be done gradually.

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum. As mentioned before check for rust. People think that because Fieros are fiberglass and plastic they don’t rust. WRONG! Areas like where we are that use road salt, Fieros are notorious for being rotted out. Look at the trunk sidewalls behind the carpet. If you see any holes you will need to pull the wheel well liners or get the car on a lift and inspect the frame rail up above the rear wheels and where the engine cradle connects to the frame. If you see rot in these areas, RUN AWAY. They can be fixed but you’ll be better off to keep searching. And I also agree to look for an 88 with the suspension and brake upgrades. Nothing wrong with 85-87 GT’s, just a personal preference. If you go after that one talk them down on the price. Personally i think it's a little high. If the headlights are stuck up, tell them it’s expensive to fix/replace because they are hard to find. It’s not but don’t tell them that. If you are going to do a engine swap, look for an 88 4cyl. You can find them very cheap. I just scored one for $500 with 21516 miles. It needs work but still, it was $500. LOL
Edit to add, use the search function for particulars, most questions have already been asked.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 10-31-2013).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that's priced way to high, id look elseware.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd say that's about twice as expensive as it should be priced.
But if you look at that one try to look underneath the rear carpets in the trunk, if there is rust there, as there may be with 108k miles, get out.

But those other cars near your are probably worth a look at least.
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-31-2013 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

This.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a dealer so you are paying over the odds anyway.
No option (like power mirrors. windows). Does not appear to have cruise.
Headlight motors need repair/replace (up but light off indicates motor issue).
Don't like those wheels but that is personal choice.
Low mileage but it's still an old car with old car issues.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 10-31-2013).]

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 05:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To answer some of your questions,

The GT's are classified as "sports cars" for insurance purposes. SE's, Formula's, and the base model's are not so insurance is slightly less.

The stock engine lasts as long as any other engine based on how well it was maintained. On a roughly 25 year old car it is difficult to determine how well the engine was maintained without actually looking inside of it.

Low 12's/high 11's are not hard to get to with a swap. 3800 engines or a V-8 are your best bets.These are popular swaps and there is a lot of information on this forum to help you choose what is best for you.

Working on a mid-engine car is not any more difficult to work on than any other car. Some things are easy and some are harder as with any car.

If you are looking for something with the work already done and runs 12.3, I have one for sale: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/066810.html
The selling price is a lot less than it would cost to do the same level of modifications on another Fiero.

------------------

NIFE Activity Director.
ZZ4 Powered !!

PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Its a used car dealer; show up with a fistful of cash you might get it for a lot less.

project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by EpiK:

Yeah I am going to be looking at it sometime this week....

You stated the above two weeks ago --- not one week.

Have you an update?
Ventura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VenturaSend a Private Message to VenturaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For that amount of money you could get a Formula. My first Fiero was an '84 and I really liked it. I sold it and 20 years later I bought another '84 and still have it. But, I bought a Formula a year ago and there's no comparison to the older Fieros. The 1988 Fieros are in a different class than the earlier models.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

To answer some of your questions,

The GT's are classified as "sports cars" for insurance purposes. SE's, Formula's, and the base model's are not so insurance is slightly less.

The stock engine lasts as long as any other engine based on how well it was maintained. On a roughly 25 year old car it is difficult to determine how well the engine was maintained without actually looking inside of it.

Low 12's/high 11's are not hard to get to with a swap. 3800 engines or a V-8 are your best bets.These are popular swaps and there is a lot of information on this forum to help you choose what is best for you.

Working on a mid-engine car is not any more difficult to work on than any other car. Some things are easy and some are harder as with any car.

If you are looking for something with the work already done and runs 12.3, I have one for sale: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/066810.html
The selling price is a lot less than it would cost to do the same level of modifications on another Fiero.

It depends on your state and carrier to.... nationwide in PA my 2 84's are considered sports cars to
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by EpiK:There is not too many where I live

There are more in your area than you think. I'm constantly seeing Fiero's on trips between Akron & Sandusky. Obviously not as much this time of year, but I'm sure that you will see them more now that you are looking.

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it is just marked up a bit for negotiation. I bought a very similar car from a dealer who was originally wanting over $7K for it. I got it for $4200 after it sat on his lot for a year. Still a bit too much but since it was in town, I could check it out as thoroughly as I wanted to and there was no travel involved. In other words, I got to take my time and wasn't pressured by a now-or-never road trip situation. I figured it was worth a little more for convenience and keeping my money local.

Check under the carpet in the trunk for rust. Check the knock-outs in the floorboards from underneath to see if they are rusted out or missing. Check for dents in the cooling tubes that run down both sides of the car. I would say if it ran well, it would be worth $3K all day so you aren't that far apart. Tell him you think it is very nice but that you are concerned about the headlights and the tires. Open up with about a $2700 offer and see where it goes.

NEVER NEVER NEVER ask, "you can't do better than that?" or "is that the best you can do?" or "is that a firm price?"

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS present him with another dollar figure offer.

Jonathan
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:
NEVER NEVER NEVER ask, "you can't do better than that?" or "is that the best you can do?" or "is that a firm price?"

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS present him with another dollar figure offer.

My method :
Pull out cash. Start to count. Hrm, all I have is 'x' dollars. Yeah, lets do this for 'x' dollars!
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently purchased another 88GT in almost mint condition (one owner) TX car with only 98K miles for 2K....so KEEP LOOKING and hold out for an 88 GT!

It will save you a lot in upgrade costs!
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by EpiK:

Yeah I am going to be looking at it sometime this week....

You mentioned that one month ago and as of now, haven't posted anything since ---anywhere on this forum ---- although having been asked if you had any updates.

Hopefully, you're OK.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock