Attention Indy Owners/Restorers by animal
Started on: 10-25-2013 05:11 PM
Replies: 3 (180 views)
Last post by: animal on 10-25-2013 09:37 PM
animal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for animalSend a Private Message to animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need some directions, but no Youtube videos are available yet! I have red stripe decals for my indy wheels that I have had reconditioned. I want to aply them and then clear coat them. I've tried applying the spare decal I was given with my order, but screwed it up big time. Have any of you used these decals? The decals aren't cheap and I only have the four I need left. Any clues you can give me about how to apply them will be greatly appreciated.

------------------

87 GT, Ramjet 350 SBC, 6-Spd
Melbourne, FL

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would apply those stripes the same as I would apply any other automotive decal. Take a clean spray bottle and put some clean water (distilled) with a fair amount of dish soap. Use just enough soap to give the water a coloration or tint of the soaps color. Another tool worth having is a clean (new) bondo applier/spreader. For this job you would need a small bondo spreader.

Now set the rim flat on whatever work surface you are going to use. The rim should be parallel to the ground, not perpendicular to the ground as it would be on the car. Now spray the outer lip of the rim heavily with the soapy water, you want the rim to be (very) wet with the soapy water. The decal should have a backing on the adhesive side, and a backing on the displayed side. Remove the backing on the adhesive side, and then hose the adhesive side with soapy water. Position the decal on the wheel. The soapy water on the wheel and on the decal will permit you to move the decal around and get it positioned exactly where you want it (concentric on the rim). Once you get it slid into a good position, pick a starting point on the decal and start pressing it down with the bondo spreader. This will push the soapy water out from underneath the decal and make it stick to the wheel. This is where you take your time and work precisely. Work your way around the wheel, carefully pressing the soapy water out from underneath the decal. once you have worked your way around a wheel, gently wipe the lip of the wheel down with some paper towel to absorb any remaining soapy water. Once this is done you should be able to pull off the decal backing that is on the front face of the decal. Now repeat three more times.

Be patient and take your time, and you can apply decals like the pros do.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This explains how I did mine.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...15-2-066770.html#p39

Kevin
animal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for animalSend a Private Message to animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks a bunch Kevin! That really helps. Maybe i can get er dun now.
Tom

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

This explains how I did mine.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...15-2-066770.html#p39

Kevin

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery