Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Now I can finally say Solstice gone - better car aquired:) (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Now I can finally say Solstice gone - better car aquired:) by pontiackid86
Started on: 08-22-2013 10:41 PM
Replies: 250 (8312 views)
Last post by: pontiackid86 on 01-04-2015 11:29 PM
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Its working again. I touched the fusible links to the headlights and it went right up... guess I have a small wire gremlin to fix.

new driver side headlight motor installed, Turns out it was bad.... Now I just need to wire up the license plate lights and get the exhaust tips welded on and its road legal again.

IP: Logged
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the taillight installed.... the color is very close to the red ones but it is amber,,, i''m hoping it fades over time

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Speaker adapters for 5.25... Thanks TLG

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

new driver side headlight motor installed, Turns out it was bad.... Now I just need to wire up the license plate lights and get the exhaust tips welded on and its road legal again.

PK- are you welding tips to the Rodney exhaust or welding the pipes to the OE muffler? If your welding the pipes to the muffler I would suggest just using clamps especially if you did not replace the muffler. The stainless steel pipes are easier to polish off the car and clamps make it much easier to do! Don't know what to think of the not amber turn light. Rob sent me a set of front "308" turn signal assemblies and the orange/amber color was just a shade lighter than the 20+ year originals and cannot be mistaken for red in any light. Wonder what happened?

[This message has been edited by steve308 (edited 12-04-2013).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

PK- are you welding tips to the Rodney exhaust or welding the pipes to the OE muffler? If your welding the pipes to the muffler I would suggest just using clamps especially if you did not replace the muffler. The stainless steel pipes are easier to polish off the car and clamps make it much easier to do! Don't know what to think of the not amber turn light. Rob sent me a set of front "308" turn signal assemblies and the orange/amber color was just a shade lighter than the 20+ year originals and cannot be mistaken for red in any light. Wonder what happened?

I'm going to see about having them clamped if I can. as for the light.. how long ago did you get them... some of his early material had a fading problem when in sinlight for a long period of time... These are Amber and you can see it in person, its just an odd color amber.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Very productive day for this car... New battery and starts like a champ, Installed my whole Pioneer sound system except for the sub (will be installing later the sound system sounds amazing) Swapped out the seats with the ones from my newly acquired IMSA and they look great. and I've started rigging up the electrical work to work the licence plate lights in the decklid (who ever designed them to be put there should be shot) all in all the car is coming together.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008
pics

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm going to see about having them clamped if I can. as for the light.. how long ago did you get them... some of his early material had a fading problem when in sinlight for a long period of time... These are Amber and you can see it in person, its just an odd color amber.

Put the lenses on in early spring --- Car is garaged so sun fade has not been a problem.

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Put the lenses on in early spring --- Car is garaged so sun fade has not been a problem.

Keep an eye on them than... Rodney was talking about them in another thread I saw.. he's using a new material now to make sure the fading dose not happen... as it said it looks red until you put a light behind it.

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...so sun fade has not been a problem.

i'm not so sure it is all uv fade from the sun - i think it might be from the heat from the bulbs too ...
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

i'm not so sure it is all uv fade from the sun - i think it might be from the heat from the bulbs too ...

Very well could be, Either or I hope mine fades down a little.

PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney's exhaust Getting clamped up

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Also orderd a new inner tie rod... it passes inpection but mechanic says it needs a fixin
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went for its 1st drive today, Smokes like a chimney but all 60 miles it drove well
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2013 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it either has a bad intake manifold gasket or head gasket, It smokes like a chimney and is losing or using coolant. Might just put it on the back burner until summer.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been a little lazy on this, the car needs a head gasket But It has some other issues as well, I'm currently looking for another frame to trans plant the body to. Looking at a few 87's and 88's
DanDamage

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice car you lucked out for sure! Hows the rust situation? Any plans for a motor swap if so what motor are you thinking of?
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanDamage:

nice car you lucked out for sure! Hows the rust situation? Any plans for a motor swap if so what motor are you thinking of?

No rust but the engine is toast and the interior is shot, that and its on the wrong year chassis
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you still thinking this Mera is a better car than the Solstice? Time can change your mind.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Are you still thinking this Mera is a better car than the Solstice? Time can change your mind.

Yup, the solstice was falling apart when I got rid of it.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going to go look at an 87 Gt this weekend to replace the body onto.
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I figured its time to stop beating a dead horse with the 86 chassis this body was put onto, It has a bad head gasket and a few small electrical gremlins. I went up to NY today to check out an 87 GT (to put the body on the correct year frame) It needs a few things here and there but it runs strong and only has 43K miles on it, Getrag 5 speed non sunroof. I'll post some pics tomorrow but this car will be the new base for this mera body.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And here it is the new base for the body

FTF Engineering

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well I figured its time to stop beating a dead horse with the 86 chassis this body was put onto

Looks like a nice donor. You ever figure out what's going on with the pass rear wheel looking like it's shifted inboard? I've been curious about that since we were looking at it at Neffsville last fall. Is that part of the reason for the body transfer?
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FTF Engineering:

Looks like a nice donor. You ever figure out what's going on with the pass rear wheel looking like it's shifted inboard? I've been curious about that since we were looking at it at Neffsville last fall. Is that part of the reason for the body transfer?

Nah the engine is shot on the 86 frame it's on now. And as for the wheel it links like body alignment
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Swapped the battery into the new GT and it runs great. It does need a new water pump as the bearing on the one in there is making noises but other than that its a pretty solid car.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Work has begun, Also removed the water pump with only one wrench being thrown.

Not bad for a car that lived its life in the rust belt of NY... (envy them, Envy them

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 04-12-2014).]

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the Donor blew up! Pieces and parts everywhere!
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol. I hope you are making notes as to where things go back on.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Lol. I hope you are making notes as to where things go back on.

I've done so many fastback swaps and body panel swaps I pretty much know how every thing goes back... Right now the doner is really pissing me off... put on a new water pump and its cracked.

Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe you should have someone else do it for you?
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nah I can do it just got careless.. got a bosch pump it will be going in next weekend.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That will be nice when you finish it
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well I figured its time to stop beating a dead horse with the 86 ... an 87 GT (to put the body on the correct year frame)

Excellent idea for 1) stop leaking money into a bad car and 2) using the 87 which has the upgraded headlights and bigger gas tank. wished i had done this sooner a few times. Good luck and make sure all your wiring is solidly done. You'll love the attention the 308 gets - it's really the best proportioned replica anyone made for the fiero. Good luck.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be grabbing some pics for you guys later but the mera body is about 90% removed from the 86 chassis, I need to get a new front harness for my 87 (the one on it is all messd up) but its moving along. ill take some pics of the mera body off the car, rare look at under the beauty
FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool! Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Don't forget about the upcoming MAFOA shows at Lititz and Carlisle. I don't think there's any way you're going to make Lititz at this point, but you're still planning to make it to the 20th anniversary show at Carlisle, right? I don't know how many rebodies will be there, but you won't be the only one!

Do I need to come down there and help you get it back together? (I have no idea what I'm doing, by the way...)
FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FTF Engineering

710 posts
Member since Sep 2001
Forgot... What's the status of the IMSA? Is it roadworthy? (Don't you have more than one of them at this point?)

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Forgot... What's the status of the IMSA? Is it roadworthy? (Don't you have more than one of them at this point?)

The big question is which IMSA .... but as for the mera it might be able to make it I have to hurry and get it back together, it wont be painted though. if anything ill bring my veloster up.

Yup.... the mera wont be ready but I might show up for a couple hours with my Veloster.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 05-11-2014).]

FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah. Which IMSA... Rub it in a little?

Man you go through cars fast. How long have you had the Veloster? For that matter, have you ever counted how many cars you've owned since day one?

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah. Which IMSA... Rub it in a little?

Man you go through cars fast. How long have you had the Veloster? For that matter, have you ever counted how many cars you've owned since day one?

stopped counting after 20... lol and ive had the veloster about a year and a half
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock