Started on: 08-10-2013 02:21 PM
Replies: 18 (778 views)
Last post by: qwikgta on 08-12-2013 08:35 AM
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started life as a White GT with AT. Beechwood interior, sunroof and spoiler. No idea what rims it had. Maybe even gold cross-lace. (RPO codes attached for those who want to play)

Now I don't care that the car was repainted yellow, but they could have at least done a better job, I also don't care that some dumbass painted it with silver spray paint.

But what is killing me is that they spray-painted the beechwood with black, gloss spray paint, and didn't even remove the parts to do it. They just sprayed away.

I almost think it may have been a victim of vandalism because what owner would do this.

Anyway, I pulled the seats (no rips, and the driver side is lumbar), A and B pillar trim, aux gauge and radio surround. Anyone have any good ideas for getting the black spray paint off? I don't want to mar the beechwood and I'd like to use the seats.

OK, I just needed to rant.

I already added this to my "88 database guy" thread.

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, LS376 and a GT clip
88 GT, SIII 3800NA/Auto swap underway
LS Build Thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/083204.html
LS on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAH9yjw6XR0
3800 build thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089035.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen a few 88s... but I hate it when I see any fiero in the junk yard that isn't crashed or rusted out, I once found an 86GT with 60,xxx miles that didn't have any rust at all, not even under the radiator! .. it had no damage.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

... it had no damage.

All cars get parked for a reason... the trick is finding the reason. Maybe one in a million perfectly good cars get parked and eventually junked. But the other 999,999 have something seriously wrong with them.

Yeah the junkyard is a depressing place. I want to save them all, but you can't.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found an 88 a couple of weeks ago -- 4cyl notchie -- looks like it had been picked pretty clean before it was junked - all interior trim gauges seats etc. were gone -- I pulled the rear calipers for a friend in need. I'll be going back for the headlight harness if it's still there next week weather permitting.
batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah....cuz i need a 1987 for parts
the 88's have too many things that wont work for me
i have 2 1987's so i would want to have full salvage access to the later models, for parts compatibility.
id get them body panels, if they fit and the steering wheel.
the thing i dont like about the '88 are the changes.

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 08-10-2013).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is all the stuff I got off it. Still a lot of great parts, full suspension/brakes, cradle, rear sway bar. Only rust on the car was under the battery tray. Front facia had a rip, rear was good. body was good, someone ripped off the rear spoiler and damaged the decklid. Good GT clip and sunroof top.

driverside axle and auto trans brake pedal for my 3800 swap. So far the seats are cleaning up pretty well. Must have gotten off 75% of the paint, now they just look stained.

Rob
88 Database Guy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Database GuyClick Here to visit 88 Database Guy's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88 Database GuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rob,

Wow, you got a haul! Lumbar seats! I'm glad you saved what you could, and thanks for getting all the details for the database. I saw this car posted on row52.com but didn't have any of these details. Now I do, Thanks!

John

PS there are quite a few other 88s (and LOTS of other year cars) listed on row52.com Go check it out guys, hopefullly somebody can send me the other 88's info as well.
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-10-2013 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88 Database Guy:

PS there are quite a few other 88s (and LOTS of other year cars) listed on row52.com Go check it out guys, hopefullly somebody can send me the other 88's info as well.

Thanks for this! Just finished registering some Subaru SVX's.

FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I check out Row 52 all the time but no one ever responds to my comments on there for parts

Too bad, I really enjoy that site. Lots of nice Fiero's get trashed out west it's pretty sad
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Don't you just hait it when you find an 88 in the junk yard

Never had that problem, only ever seen 84's and once an 85. More troubling, they're always in better shape than my car...

Nice haul! Jealous of the lumbar seat.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never came across two '88 GTs in a junkyard, but I have come across two four cylinder 88's. Unfortunately by the time I got to both each had been well-picked.

The thing about the interior being spray bombed is crazy enough not all that uncommon. In particular on a personal experience with myself quite recently, I stopped to look at a pretty nice 2002-ish Cavalier. It looked great on the outside, ran and drive and read "drives fine" on windshield, and thus I was wondering why it had $800 on it for sale. After opening up the door that was well tinted to not show the inside, I was greeted to an interior that had been COMPLETELY spray bombed black. Literally EVERY. SINGLE. ITEM. except the gauge cluster had been bombed with black cheap rattle paint. You could still faintly smell the off-gas odor from it.
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the first 88 GT I have seen in this yard. I have seen a few GT's but not 88. I've parted 2 or 3 other 88's but all coupes. Years ago they had a Fiero or two every few months, now I hardly ever see them. When I found out that they had an 88 on the lot I was interested, then to find out it was a GT, I was stoked. When I got to the car I was heartbroken to see the shape it was in.

Rob
V8 Vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2013 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8 VegaSend a Private Message to V8 VegaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im in a huge population area and the cars, no matter how rare or old are only in the yard about a month at Pick Your Part before they go to scrap metal to make room for more. Early 90's and older are now pretty rare there, a few years ago it was 70's cars that were predominate, and so it goes. What breaks my heart is all those 455 Buick, Olds, Pontiac, and 500 Cadillac 460 Fords are gone forever. 440 Chrysler and 454 Chevys never were there.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe even gold cross-lace. (RPO codes attached for those who want to play)

The RPO code for gold lace wheels is 60P.....black lace wheels are 19P. According to the tag you posted, this car came with black lace wheels from the factory.

How bad are the seats? It looks like they were painted too (or are they just that dirty?). It's a shame when any Fiero is mistreated like that, but since I love the beechwood interior color it is more sickening to me to see it painted black like that. Reminds me of an '88 coupe I found last year in a junkyard.....it also had a beechwood interior that was sprayed black. Ugh!

Also.....many, many years ago I had a brand spanking new '88 beechwood automatic shifter plate console (new in the box!). I sold it to someone at a show and later found out he painted it gray to match his yellow GT's interior. Sacrilege!!
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rob

I'm not a big fan of beechwood, but this is just wrong. This clown obviously didn't know what he had.
XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Beachwood in my 1988 and Im not too fond of it. If he didnt know what he had I could see why he did it.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey we are looking for a nose for the Rottin resurrection, and the rockers and the gt trim parts I wonder how much they would charge for all that stuff?
Freak-Du-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Freak-Du-FieroSend a Private Message to Freak-Du-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
B@sterds....

------------------

[This message has been edited by Freak-Du-Fiero (edited 08-12-2013).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:
How bad are the seats? It looks like they were painted too (or are they just that dirty?). It's a shame when any Fiero is mistreated like that, but since I love the beechwood interior color it is more sickening to me to see it painted black like that. Reminds me of an '88 coupe I found last year in a junkyard.....it also had a beechwood interior that was sprayed black. Ugh!

Also.....many, many years ago I had a brand spanking new '88 beechwood automatic shifter plate console (new in the box!). I sold it to someone at a show and later found out he painted it gray to match his yellow GT's interior. Sacrilege!!

The seats are perfect, except for the paint. Yes, no rips, just a little thin in the area that normally rips (bolster area). No burn marks or nothing... except for the black spray paint !! Its on the cloth and on the vinyl sides. The drivers side is much better, the passenger side is at least 50% painted. The pic with all the parts is after I took them out of my car, everything was still dirty. I vacuumed them up and then used my carpet shampoo machine on them. Using the shampoo machine removed about 50% of the paint from the cloth, now they just look stained. I don't have a picure yet of the "after", i'll get one soon. The drivers side has lumbar and I hope it still works.

I had a similar experiance with a guy years ago. Found an 88 coupe in the same yard, pulled the beechwood interior. Got all of it. Dash, carpet, seats, trim everything but the headliner. Put an add on the mall and a few days later I get an email from I guy who wants it. He's only a few hours away so he drives over to get it. Yea, no shipping. Anyway, after he shows up and we load it into his truck, I happen to ask him what he's going to do with it. He tells me that he plans to "dye it black" to put in his car. I'm like "You didn't just tell me that". If I didn't need the $$$ i'd have pulled it all back out of the truck. I told him that this is a one year only color and he had no clue. He just needed the interior for his car and planned on black as the color. No idea if he really did it.

Rob

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock