stock 4-speed clutch problems? by kyyljoy
Started on: 08-07-2013 01:11 AM
Replies: 4 (193 views)
Last post by: Str8lineJKing on 08-07-2013 09:17 PM
kyyljoy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kyyljoySend a Private Message to kyyljoyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is there some kind of secret to making this work? its got a new centerforce clutch, fiero store stainless steel lines, new master and slave cylinders, and i have been bleeding it for a while and cant get it to work
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1984whitesc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know with my 4spd bleeding the line was a tedious task. A very fickle thing.

------------------

1984 White Fiero Sport Coupe (Juliet) in restoration
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089093.html
1988 Red Fiero Standard Coupe (Bella) in restoration
1990 Black Buick Reatta (Noir)
2002 White Chevy Impala base(Haylie)

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're running the stock 4-speed slave, get yourself a slave repair kit for an 85 or 86 Toyota MR2 slave and replace the piston. It will fix a common problem with the stock slave. The stock piston is prone to pulling air around the seal. While the slave is off the car and the fluid line attached, just open the bleeder, tip the pushrod end down and let the fluid flow. keep the reservoir filled, running about 2 full reservoirs full of fluid through the line. This will remove all air from the system. Close the bleeder and reinstall the slave.

If you don't want to replace the slave piston, jack up the car until the left front is off the ground, fill the slave reservoir, open the bleeder and tap on the slave to dislodge any air bubbles. Run 2 reservoirs of fluid through the system, close the bleeder and top off the fluid. It's a one-man job, and doesn't break up the air bubbles like the pump and hold method. This method gets the master higher than the slave and elevates the bleeder end of the slave so bubbles will flow from the pushrod end to the bleeder.
kyyljoy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyyljoySend a Private Message to kyyljoyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

If you're running the stock 4-speed slave, get yourself a slave repair kit for an 85 or 86 Toyota MR2 slave and replace the piston. It will fix a common problem with the stock slave. The stock piston is prone to pulling air around the seal. While the slave is off the car and the fluid line attached, just open the bleeder, tip the pushrod end down and let the fluid flow. keep the reservoir filled, running about 2 full reservoirs full of fluid through the line. This will remove all air from the system. Close the bleeder and reinstall the slave.

If you don't want to replace the slave piston, jack up the car until the left front is off the ground, fill the slave reservoir, open the bleeder and tap on the slave to dislodge any air bubbles. Run 2 reservoirs of fluid through the system, close the bleeder and top off the fluid. It's a one-man job, and doesn't break up the air bubbles like the pump and hold method. This method gets the master higher than the slave and elevates the bleeder end of the slave so bubbles will flow from the pushrod end to the bleeder.

thank you very much!! this is a huge help!
Str8lineJKing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Str8lineJKingSend a Private Message to Str8lineJKingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kyyljoy:

is there some kind of secret to making this work? its got a new centerforce clutch, fiero store stainless steel lines, new master and slave cylinders, and i have been bleeding it for a while and cant get it to work

You might try using a vaccum bleeder. That has always done the trick for me. I havent tried it on my fiero yet as i just recently got it. But the method has served me well in the past. Check my car out! My First Fiero!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock