Started on: 07-02-2013 06:54 AM
Replies: 109 (9505 views)
Last post by: CoolBlue87GT on 03-08-2024 02:49 PM
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found out yesterday, the TDI Fiero has a sense of humor, was driving over a bridge with a slight incline, cruise control on, a Toyota Prius was following way to close, the TDI downshifted automatically & the Prius got a nice puff of diesel. He backed off for the rest of the drive.

I had to laugh.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 12-25-2013).]

IP: Logged
BrittB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like the idea of the Jetta TDI engine in the Fiero, that mpg number is outstanding too!
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I parked the car the other day, was about to get out, when I got a text on my phone, I read it & sent a quick reply, then got out of the car, shut the door, as soon as it shut, I knew I'd I'd just locked the keys inside. OH $&@#. I was so mad. I was 50 miles away from the other set of keys.

My other formula has regular wind up windows, I'm used to breaking into it. The TDI Fiero has power windows, so I had to find another way in. Without going into big detail, I used the "sunroof trick" to gain access to the car, and was able to get the keys out.

Note to self: Get another set of keys made, carry in wallet.

sniper69

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sniper69Send a Private Message to sniper69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is some impressive mileage. Makes me want to consder a TDI swap.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrittB:

I really like the idea of the Jetta TDI engine in the Fiero, that mpg number is outstanding too!

Originally posted by sniper69:

That is some impressive mileage. Makes me want to consder a TDI swap.

The last highway run I made, 300+ miles, still had more than 1/4 tank left when I filled it. Achived 57.3 MPG.

That's 70 - 75 mph w/ cruise & a/c running. I will try a trip w/o a/c on when we get one of these rare cool florida days to see if more is possible.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 01-07-2014).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

I parked the car the other day, was about to get out, when I got a text on my phone, I read it & sent a quick reply, then got out of the car, shut the door, as soon as it shut, I knew I'd I'd just locked the keys inside. OH $&@#. I was so mad. I was 50 miles away from the other set of keys.

My other formula has regular wind up windows, I'm used to breaking into it. The TDI Fiero has power windows, so I had to find another way in. Without going into big detail, I used the "sunroof trick" to gain access to the car, and was able to get the keys out.

Note to self: Get another set of keys made, carry in wallet.

LOL boy do I understand that! I always have a door key in my wallet, because at my age I am doing dumb stuff like that.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have been driving the TDI as a daily driver, enjoying it. Had a few small normal repairs , a small water leak that was fixed by replacing a hose. Running great now.

I purchaced an "Utlra gauge" and pluged into the diagnostic port, I'm in the process of calibrating it to record the MPG, currently it's reading to low. At the next fill up, I'll enter the gallons used, and it will start recording the actual mpg.

The gauge is pretty neat, it had 47 differant items for the TDI that I could monitor, there are 7 different screens that you can select. The cost was cheap, 55 dollars. A short video follows.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 03-05-2015).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I added a coolant recovery bottle tank and replaced the 30 lb Radiator cap for a 16 lb cap. This took care of "burbing" the cooling system.

When I first hooked it up and had it running, I could see the clear hose pushing out the air trapped in the system into the bottom of the tank. The cap is not vented. Under pressure, when up to temp, the system is sealed.
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The front cap is supposed to seal off that radiator. The rear expansion tank has a constant bleed off to always bleed off any air. The only way you'll get air is to not properly fill the cooling system when drained. To properly fill the system, take off the front cap and fill from the rear until it flows out the front radiator. While it is overflowing, cap it off and finish filling at the rear.
Also, make sure you use the G-12 VW coolant which is pink and should not be confused with Dexcool. Anything else will not mix with the G-12 and sludge up the system or cause the temp sensor to not read properly.

Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 05-04-2014).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been driving & enjoying the TDI daily. Making little changes here & there.

Decided to remove the leather seats from my Formula and install them into the TDI. They are still in great shape, I think I installed them in 2007. They feel oh so good !

I have an order in to MrMike's for another set of leather seats to reinstall into the Formula. Figure if I ever sell the Formula, having the newer seats in it will be a treat to the new owner.

I found a small / slight crack in the expansion tank, it was allowing a very - very small amount of pressure to leak, wasn't causing a problem yet. I noticed a small drip forming above the liquid level. I circled in red the area of the slight crack.

I bought a new replacement tank, was only $13.95 - shipped ! It is the exact same tank. Saw them on line as much as $90. What a deal !. Received it within 2 days. I installed it last night when I got home from work. Was so excided , couldn't wait to install it, the coolant was still fairly warm, It works great. The new tank installed below.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 05-21-2014).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

Also, make sure you use the G-12 VW coolant which is pink and should not be confused with Dexcool. Anything else will not mix with the G-12 and sludge up the system or cause the temp sensor to not read properly.

Dave

The G-12 is also a good leak detector because it forms a pink solid around whatever is leaking in the cooling system. Other than that, I am glad you are still enjoying the car. I just ordered a set of Mr Mikes for the VR6 swap.

Dave
PFF
System Bot
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Adapt the throttle by using basic settings group 060 on your VAG-COM. That should fix the new odd issues since the battery was disconnected. That should be done every time that the battery is disconnected.
Dave

What throttle body? It's a diesel...

did you mean kickdown block 63?

[This message has been edited by Purple86GT (edited 05-22-2014).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Purple86GT:

What throttle body? It's a diesel...

did you mean kickdown block 63?

lol....you are right...the TDI doesn't use group 060. I must have been having a "senior" moment....lol. It is to the point that I can't remember what I ate for breakfast or what I did three hours prior, but I do know everything gets done fast and correct.

I am Jack's outer being.

Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 05-22-2014).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dave

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 06-07-2014).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found a post I made back in 2002, titled "Anyone ever think about putting a diesel motor in a Fiero ?"

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...031229-2-018693.html

It's kind of funny reading what I was hoping to have someday. Little did I know it would come true !

Latest update: The car is still doing great, has been my daily driver ever since bringing home. Performing great, I set the Ultragauge to remind me when the fuel is getting low, as the fillups are mesured by the month instead of by the week. I notice I've not been checking the fuel gauge regular, as it seems to take for ever to move.
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make it roal coal!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqnZ_vmKowI

[This message has been edited by FieroCanada (edited 07-14-2014).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just realized I missed the TDI's 1st year anniversary which was on 07-07-2014.

Over the past year, the car has proven to be pretty darn dependable. I've been using it as a daily driver since bringing it home.

bmwguru did a great job on this engine & technology swap, taking GM & VW parts and making them work together seamlessly. The A/C compressor is VW, the rest of the system is GM, results about 40 degrees at the vents on the hottest of days. There have been some days, when I get out of the car, my glasses fog up, I have to laugh at that.

I enjoy driving the car, from startup, I pull out out of the driveway and away from the house without needing to let it warm up, I just take it easy for the first few miles. A diesel actually warms up better this way, leaving it idle only wastes fuel. I've had many people notice the engine & turbo's wine sound, wondering what is going on. Some have approched me in parking lots asking about the car.

I'm using the ultragauge to monitor the engine temp & fuel level and mileage. The hwy mpg, best yet 57.3 and city is averaging 40's. I suppose if I kept my foot out of it, that number would go up a bit. lol

I've taken care of some items such as a few leaking hoses, that only required tightening a few clamps, and a leaking gasket on the injection pump, nothing that isn't concidered normal maintenance.

My plans for the car, I've already installed Mrmike's leather seats, and swapped in a Monsoon radio w/ aux plug. I am on the lookout for someone with a 88 bumper cover for sale, as I plan to run the car into the paint shop, need one that is in better shape. Also plan to have the grey tinted windows I bought last year installed.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 08-06-2014).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2015 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 03-03-2015).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2015 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CoolBlue87GT

8404 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Latest update: 02-25-15

The car recently started smoking very badly at idle and had been using alot of oil. The trouble was traced down to a turbo failure, the internal bearings and oil seal failed. This usually occurs higher mileage like over 100k, this was an unusual early failure. Dave had installed a brand new Borg-warner turbo unit, which are usually very good units.

I had a local shop install a new german built turbo, was down for only three days. The car is now running in top shape again, the new turbo is a bit more powerful, does feel a bit different, the strange thing is now at idle while waiting for a light, the engine feels like it's running quieter & smoother than before, although it's running at the same rpm as before. I don't notice the turbo whine sound as much.

Dave assisted me in the troubleshooting & replacement choice over the phone, I thanked Dave for the support he's given me since I've owned the car.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 03-03-2015).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replaced both stabilizer bar control links, this took care of a rattle that had developed when going over bumps, as the old 27 year old bushings were toast. This was a quick $20 dollar fix. Rides very smooth & quite once again..

(sorry for the crappy resized cellphone photo)

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 06-08-2015).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2015 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Florida sun was starting to fade the paint, I bought a Ryobi 6'" palm buffer/polisher, just $24 dollars. I tried it out, took no time to finish the car.

I used my favorate wax, Meguiars NXT Tech wax 2.0 , the paint turned out really sharp. I won't mind waxing it next time.

PFF
System Bot
V8Steve

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8SteveClick Here to visit V8Steve's HomePageSend a Private Message to V8SteveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll bet the TDI is a lot of fun! ( I have a 2013 Passat TDI and upgraded the DSG transmission and the engine to Malone Stage II)
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2015 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The TDI's 2nd year anniversary past by quietly on 07-07-2015.

Over the past two years, the car is still very dependable. Still being used as a daily driver. Occasionally I've needed to take a few trips out of town, have no worries about using the car for the trips. I actually look forward to taking it on trips. The A/C , cruise & stereo all work great.

Today I waxed the car, in the past 4 months, the sun again had the paint looking a bit faded. In less than an hour, the palm buffer had the paint shiny once again. I think the paint is single stage, due to the red showing up on the buffing pads. That's fine, it's no longer a chore to do by hand.

Still looking for an 88 bumper cover, although it's not on my must have list. Still have the grey tinted windows I bought a few years ago, if I get the car painted, will have those installed.

I can drive the car two different ways, aggressively or economically. Usually I drive it conservatively, I make it a goal to see how far I can travel to each tank. Currently according to the ultra gauge, the city mileage is 36 , the highway mileage is still in the mid 50's.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 12-31-2015).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got a day off where the weather & "to do stuff" list matched up. The drivers side headlight motor has been unable to open on it's own for some time now. I ordered replacement bushings from Rodney about a year & a half ago, installed them today. Took about 20 minutes this time, I've replaced about 4 now between all the fieros. Took some extra time and painted a few items under the front hood that needed some TLC.

I took a cruise around town to savor the moment knowing all the quirks have beed fixed, was an enjoyable drive. I had a smile on my face, The Fiero TDI was happy. Ahhh, what a nice day.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 02-20-2016).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2016 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a set of Cooper CS5 Grand Touring tires rated @ 80k miles, had them installed, had a 4 wheel alignment done.

They are great, ride very quite. Ordered them from www.tires-easy.com

215/60R15 $73ea and 205/60R15 $67ea , with shipping was $320

I ordered them at 11pm, the tires were shipped the shop the next day at 2pm - Wow, that was fast.

I have a set of the CS4's on my other Formula which ride good also, The CS5's is Cooper tire newest tire.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2016 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off, let me say that a TDI swap in a Fiero is pretty freaking cool!

Looks like you have the '99.5-'05 TDI engine. Those are the best ones for fuel economy. Also, with a tune and a set of injector nozzles, you can get half again more power and torque. I wonder if BMWguru did this already?

My daily driver is a Jetta TDI. On a bad day, it gets 40 MPG. And that car is shaped like a brick. So it's no surprise you're getting such good fuel economy in your TDI Fiero.

Edit to add: I'm sure Dave told you about this already, but since the TDI is an interference engine, it's really important to keep up on timing belt changes. IIRC the interval is every 100k miles. It's also a good time to replace the water pump, since it's run off the timing belt. Just FYI.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 02-20-2016).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2016 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

First off, let me say that a TDI swap in a Fiero is pretty freaking cool! .......

Here's the link to the build https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/082918.html

Dave did all the maintenance to the engine, including new belts, injectors, water pump ..... see the link for the full list,

Engine was from a 2000 Jetta. The car has been very dependable. ( knocks on wood ) There is plenty of power on tap, although I drive it economically to get the most mpg. I still find it interesting that a diesel engine is quieter than the V6 while cruising on the road.

Good info about the belt / maintenance. Back when I owned a 2dr Rabbit diesel, I had set an appointment to have it's timming belt replaced, had bought all the parts, and the day before the appointment, BAM !!! the belt broke, needless to say, the Rabbit died. Later, I bought a used 85 2dr Jetta diesel w/5 speed, that also was a dependable car, I put 225 thousand miles on it, when I sold it, the new owner paid more for it than I bought it for.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 03-05-2016).]

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2016 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turno diesels rock. It is the only cars I have as my daily drivers.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2016 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like every six months the Florida sun fades the paint to a point where I need to buff it out again, so far I've been able to bring it back to a shiny finish about 4 times now. I love the look of a freshly waxed car. My neighbors must think I'm crazy for all the photo's I take of my car after cleaning it.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 04-18-2016).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2016 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TDI's 3rd year anniversary was on 07-07-2016.

The car has been doing well. Still enjoying the car. Changed out a faulty relay that controlled the radiator fan, had been wondering why the a/c had been weak while sitting at a light, turned out to be the relay. $11 later, now a/c works good as new. I was able to replace it w/o removing the headlight assembly, was a tight fit for these hands.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 07-10-2016).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2016 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few days ago I broke the switch for the cruise control, for three years it was fine with velcro to the top of the ashtray door. I damaged the ribbon cable, long story short, I bought a used replacement switch, modified the housing as was before. I was going to mount it in the same location. When I looked the space over, I discovered it would fit inside where the ashtray was. I add a layer of plastic foam, carefully worked the ribbon cable into the space and the switch fits like a glove. Can shut the door when not using.

When I gave it a test drive, visions of 007 reaching for a secret switch came to mind. lol

It works great now, the week w/o the cruise working was tough, as I've been so used to using it. Using the pedal and my brain to maintain speed was so foreign to me. I was hating to drive. Don't know if others could relate to this feeling.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 07-12-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did something similar when I went to an electronic cruise control on my 88 Mera. Since I had just installed the F355 interior I located the new cruise switch in the ash tray and when the cover is closed no control is visible.

Nelson
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had a rare day off, cleaned up the car, it's been running good. Last week The computer was throwing a code, to trouble shoot it, I contacted Bmwguru for some hints, he suggested replacing the diesel fuel filter and cleaning the K&M air-filter, as both could be throwing the code. I picked up the k&m cleaning/recharging kit, the air filter was very dirty. The cleaning process was interesting, the cleaning spray removed alot of the dirt, rinsed with hose, repeated one more time, rinsed and let dry. The recharge oil was next, sprayed evenly, let sit for ten minutes, then check for even coverage. The fuel filter was next to change out, their are 4 hoses, 2 are removed with hose clamps, the other 2 are connected with a clip that is hard to remove & reinstall. Long story short, I replaced two O-rings that came with the new filter, filled the filter with brake fluid. Started the car, I expected the brake fluid would make the engine smoke, to my surprise, no smoke at all.

Checked the computer again, the code was pointing to the mass airflow sensor, replaced it, checked the computer, that took car of the error code.

Thanks again for Bmwguru for taking the time from his busy work day to field my three phone calls. What a great guy.

Here's a short video showing the buffer. Sure turns waxing the car a quick / easy job.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 10-14-2016).]

thebigarniedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2016 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thebigarniedogSend a Private Message to thebigarniedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never saw the gauge cluster on this swap. Specifically how, if at all it is integrated into the fiero dash. Not sure why the decision was made to use the 01m auto tragic in this swap rather than the bullet proof 5 speed.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2016 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thebigarniedog:

Never saw the gauge cluster on this swap. Specifically how, if at all it is integrated into the fiero dash. Not sure why the decision was made to use the 01m auto tragic in this swap rather than the bullet proof 5 speed.

The gauge cluster is straight from the Jetta,

( photo hosting error - will try to recover asap )

Quote from bmwguru, from build post Ref the trans:

I've had no major issues with a bunch of the 01M transmissions. The way to prolong the life of the transmission is to service it every 50,000 miles. When the transmission starts giving you issues, fix the problem....I've seen people come into my shop that need a trans because it has been slipping or not shifting for weeks. I normally call them a dumbass to their face and give them a bill for a few thousand. The ribbons go bad but are an easy fix. The speed sensors sometimes crap out, but they are easy too. The only pain in the ass job that happens on these transmissions are the vss gears breaking. Cheap part, expensive labor.

We would have preferred using a manual, but the Jetta and the Fiero were both autos so the decision was made for us.

Like I said before, the only people with issues with this transmission aren't properly maintaining their Jetta's or Golf's.

Dave

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 08-05-2017).]

thebigarniedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thebigarniedogSend a Private Message to thebigarniedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the picture. Certainly is a nice car and a tdi swap is awesome. Politely disagree with his assessment of the 01m. There is enough available on tdiclub that shows otherwise.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thebigarniedog:

Thanks for the picture. Certainly is a nice car and a tdi swap is awesome. Politely disagree with his assessment of the 01m. There is enough available on tdiclub that shows otherwise.

I'm a member of the TDIclub site, have seen the various postings, all I know is I've driven this car daily for the past 3 1/2 years, the trans has been doing fine. I don't drive like a teenager, (much), which I'm sure is helping the transmission last. I do enjoy having an automatic, my other Formula has a five speed, with my short commute to work, I encounter about 10 - 12 traffic lights, of which I catch a few red. The content manual shifting I'd be doing gets old after awhile.

Along with using the cruise control and the automatic, they let me to concentrate on other more important things like watching out for the older drivers around here that drift out of their lanes or run lights/stop signs.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2016 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing new to report except for the car has been performing great, had another rare day off, waxed the paint again.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2017 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Swapped out battery, started dying once a week, had it tested, only had half it's rated CCA. I'm sure the bunch of times over the past few years I left parking lights on all day, draining down the old battery contributed to it's crapping out. I've heard where this type of battery doesn't like to be drained dead. New one came with terminals on the opposite side, which worked out good, as it moved the cables away from the hood strut.

We had a 35 degree this morning, when I turned the key, saw the glow-plug symbol light up for the first time since owning the car. The engine started right away.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2017 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you taken it to the track?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock