Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  5.4L Twin Turbo V12 Choptop Fiero (Lots of pics) (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
5.4L Twin Turbo V12 Choptop Fiero (Lots of pics) by northeastfiero
Started on: 06-09-2013 05:27 PM
Replies: 173 (20296 views)
Last post by: fourpoint9 on 04-02-2021 04:48 AM
northeastfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only managed a few hours work tonight, I made a couple of circular templates using the router.

Covered them in pva ready for the mould release

IP: Logged
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Covered the wheel arches with a layer of tissue then a couple of layers of fibreglass

The parts after they are out of the mould and trimmed

Spent what seemed ages maiking sure the wheel arches were equally spaced then glassed them into place

Hopefully tomorrow I will get the doors set and the door seals on so I can start with the body work

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got some more bodywork. First I created another arch then filled with foam and shaped it.

Next more foam work built up some layers to create a rough idea of what I want

Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet project! Kinda bummed it doesn't look like a fiero anymore
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did some more rough shaping of the foam also god rid of the lip round the wheel arch and also redid the foam lower down to the ground effects. I also mounted the 355 rear bumper I had.

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coming along nicely!

I was personally hoping for some Camaro-esque hip/shelves for above the wheels since you're rear is going to be so wide now, but I like this too!
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ave altered the angle of the side intake and started to fill the rear bumper. I have been thinking of using the rear lights from the Alfa Romeo Mito. Have ran out of foam so things will have to wait for now.

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good... things are really starting to take shape.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it What type of foam are you using? How are you applying it?
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks its getting there. The foam is a 2 part you mix equally together you then have about 15 seconds to pour it before it starts to rise. I used bits of hardboard and gaffa tape to contain it after it is set you can use a wood saw to cut a rasp to shape. I will use forms to get one side the same as the other.
VF1Skullangel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VF1SkullangelClick Here to visit VF1Skullangel's HomePageSend a Private Message to VF1SkullangelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So are you laying down the foam first then fiberglassing over it? I know it's a silly question.
PFF
System Bot
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I will cover it with 2 layers of fibreglass then smooth out with filler. The foam over the whole car will be about 10kg so not worth bothering about. Plus if I ever put it in a river it will help it to float.
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll remove the above image if it detracts from your thread too much, but it does about describe my reaction to your skill, patience, perseverance and innovation.

Will be watching from here on out.

Very nice work. That really doesn't cover the praise it deserves, but for lack of better terms.....VERY nice work.

HAGO!
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by northeastfiero:

Yes I will cover it with 2 layers of fibreglass then smooth out with filler. The foam over the whole car will be about 10kg so not worth bothering about. Plus if I ever put it in a river it will help it to float.

Plus you should have the quietest fiero in existance 'cause all that foam will kill all roadnoise AND it will be WELL insulated for heat and cold. NICE job .

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 06-16-2014).]

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all definately not offended at the Mask image, I am supprised no one has noticed a couple of months ago I changed the choptop roof for the one off my parts car as the chop looked silly with the extra length of the car. So now I have created a thread in the mall to see if anyone is interested in my choptop kit with glass all unused.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/069415.html
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off...I have enjoyed following your thread and can't wait to see the end results.

Secondly..might me interested in the choptop set, but need to see how much to ship across the pond.
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Waiting on some more 2 part foam at the moment so I made some brackets for the 355 bumper I had

As for my choptop kit I am looking for $1600 shipped to US or Canada
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
more more more more more more more

Please
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Love watching this thread progress...

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some more 2 part foam coming this week so hopefully I will get the other side, front and back shaped.

Thanks Carl
Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This forum has some very talented people with vivid imagination. I'm enjoying your build immensely. Keep up the hard work!
PFF
System Bot
Djordhan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DjordhanSend a Private Message to DjordhanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That. Is. Pure. Madness! Wow.

I've been hesitating in buying on "not so in good shape" Fiero and now I know that what's inside doesn't matter. It's what you do of the good things that remain.

Very impressive thanks a lot for sharing the process with us!

JD
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got to do a bit on the car today done a rough pour of foam on the other side of the car

Done some shaping of the front nose

I have widened the front with spare wings and some foam

Made a template to get a small lip around the wheel arch

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is great work! Keep it up!
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only had a few hours today to work on the car but managed to build a timber template for the ground effects. I then covered it in duck tape then a couple of layers of fibreglass. Tomorrow i will take it out of the mould and trim it and if it fits right I will do the other side.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by northeastfiero:

Thats a great way to do it, didnt know it could be done like that. Looks like they've been doign it for years: http://www.rqriley.com/frp-foam.htm

The back end of this car will look amazing, I'm really liking that hatchback look.

I think the black on that engine plenum would look awesome smoothed out and chromed.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-14-2014).]

88GTFTW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFTWSend a Private Message to 88GTFTWEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is an insane build! You've literally built yourself a whole new car! I will definitely keep following this build, can't wait to see the final product!

Still needs to be moved to the CONSTRUCTION ZONE!
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Vote for this one to go to the "Construction Zone"

Doesn't get much more "constructed" than this!

Fantastic build!

HAGO!
GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:

Vote for this one to go to the "Construction Zone"

Doesn't get much more "constructed" than this!

Fantastic build!

HAGO!

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is one hell of a complex build. While the man is a true craftsman and is sculpting a beautiful car body, he is using very flammable materials that are easy to ignite. . Maybe its just me but using that much foam material all over the car would have me worried but perhaps this car will be a trailer queen at the shows.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 08-08-2014).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GADJet:

+1
PFF
System Bot
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I were doing this build I would be for making molds off of the finished bodywork. Then I would remove all the foam and replace it with the new fiberglass panels. Maybe even sell copies if people were interested!
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

+1

++2
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got back to doing some work on the car.
I have made two new lower side skirts and started to fill and shape the body ready for fibre glassing

Isaac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsaacSend a Private Message to IsaacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, that is looking SHARP!
While you're at it, you should upgrade the suspension as well, to make it perform as well as it looks XD
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isaac:
While you're at it, you should upgrade the suspension as well, to make it perform as well as it looks XD

Have another look starting around the middle of page 1.
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy crap, I had not looked at this thread in a long time. That is looking great!
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still plodding on with the car, altered and glassed the front bumper now started the fun part filling then sanding. Still got to make the cut outs for the front indicators when they get here.

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put a couple of layers of glass fibre on the wing today and did some more sanding and filling on the front bumper.

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got one side tweaked now ready for the fibre glassing and made templates to get the other side even.

Started using templates to get other side even just needs final filling and sanding before glassing.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock