Horns, alternatives to stock by no2pencil
Started on: 05-21-2013 03:08 PM
Replies: 29 (1040 views)
Last post by: David Hambleton on 01-20-2014 08:48 PM
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One thing I've never really enjoyed about the Fiero is the 'tow-motor' sounding horn. I've been looking for an alternative horn for some time, but it'll probably be one of the last items on my to-do list.

Who here has changed theirs? What did you go with?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Fiero Train Horn video.

OMG, what a couple of retards.

I like the idea of having that type of horn in my Fiero though, rather than the wimpy tooter that Fieros came with from the factory.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-21-2013).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pegasus88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pegasus88GTSend a Private Message to Pegasus88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put some electric driven air horns on mine. They're loud! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkA4XCCx1wI
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cadillac horns work perfect. Nice and loud and with the attitude that comes with a bigger car There are TONS of caddies in the junk yard. Make sure to get both horns from the same car, they seem to be offset in sound just a little from each other to make a 'chord' when they both blow.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Cadillac horns work perfect. Nice and loud and with the attitude that comes with a bigger car There are TONS of caddies in the junk yard. Make sure to get both horns from the same car, they seem to be offset in sound just a little from each other to make a 'chord' when they both blow.

Agreed. Get the horns from any full-size GM like Caddy's, Olds, RWD van or truck. I have GM van horns on my Indy.

Test them off your battery before installing them.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pc...em5d3f4813c5&vxp=mtr

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8
- 88 Yellow GT
- 86 Silver SE (3800 in progress)
Fieros For Sale

fieroseblack

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I agree, used 92 Deville horns from 4.9L engine / trans donner & they are a great improvement in sound.

DARKWING
Mike Parker
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pc...em5d3f4813c5&vxp=mtr

LOL! LOL!

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hella and Fiamm makes OE Horns for EU/import cars.

Fiamm makes cheap replacement horns is ok but get OE horns at a junk yard.

Treat horns as a set for best results. Avoid horns from two cars/makers.

Avoid cheap air horns!
Ebay Amazon etc and most auto parts stores/outlets have poor quality units.
Will break the compressor or crack a horn diaphragm at worst time.

See my Cave, Horn

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

PFF
System Bot
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to take that car to the golf course, lol

[This message has been edited by rourke_87_T-Top (edited 05-28-2013).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Fiero Train Horn video.

Originally posted by Patrick:

OMG, what a couple of retards.

YUP. I'm sure those people in that town were NOT saying "...hey, a couple of cool guys in a sharp FIERO..."

Probably calling them a two-word phrase with A and H in it.

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Agreed. Get the horns from any full-size GM like Caddy's, Olds, RWD van or truck. I have GM van horns on my Indy.

Test them off your battery before installing them.

Yeah I agree. I got the horn from a GMC Yukon to replace the wimpy horn on our Mazda Protege5.
Ry86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want loud get a set of Hella Supertones. Had a set on my Subie - used to make people jump when they weren't expecting it lol. Everytime I hit a horn in any of my cars I miss having them.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Advance sells a high and low tone pair of horns. Some say they're the same as the Delorean horns. I have a pair on my 87 and they are plug and play and quite loud.
Dorman Champ High Tone and Dorman Champ Low Tone.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 05-23-2013).]

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

DeLorean horns

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-083122.html

I installed a pair of the Delorean horns recently. They are very similar in size to the stock horns but are much better. They are louder than stock but the main difference is that they are PIERCING!! Their tone really travels well and they are very good at getting someone's attention.

They are not plug and play but they are close. You have to swap the wiring harness mounting tabs. The stock Fiero horns have tabs which are riveted on and they have a raised section that the wiring harness clips to. The Delorean horns have a similar tab but the Fiero wiring harness clip will not grip it. The easy fix is to swap tabs. To do this, just drill out the rivet holding the tab to the Fiero horns. The Delorean horns are assembled with a nut and bolt setup. Simply remove the nut on the Delorean horn and put the Fiero tab on.

The Delorean horns also come with short mounting brackets. Simply remove them and they will mount to the original Fiero mounting points. I pointed the trumpets downward in hopes of preventing water from collecting inside.

Jonathan

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok... I'll bite.... where is everyone sourcing DeLorean horns from? It's not like the junk yard is full of them.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok... I'll bite.... where is everyone sourcing DeLorean horns from? It's not like the junk yard is full of them.

Straight from the source

http://www.delorean.com/
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

YUP. I'm sure those people in that town were NOT saying "...hey, a couple of cool guys in a sharp FIERO..."

Probably calling them a two-word phrase with A and H in it.

Youtube is full of "train horn" videos. Ironically, not a single one of them sounds like a horn from a real locomotive. Loud, yes, just not realistic.

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Straight from the source

http://www.delorean.com/

Ditto. With shipping they were about $50 for the pair. I admit that is pricey compared to junkyard pieces. Not sure if I would do it again after reading the good reviews of the Cadillac horns. I guess the best thing about the Delorean horns is that they are brand new and are almost plug and play. No need for splicing wires or creating new mounting brackets or adding air compressors. That and they are great attention getters which is what I wanted them for in the first place.

Jonathan

PFF
System Bot
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've successfully adjusted the screws to revive the horns on my '84 SE & '86 coupe over the years to maintain the two tone sound. Haven't lost a horn yet.

I intended to keep my '88 Formula as stock as possible but I just couldn't have only the single tone horn. I added the low tone horn from a donor '87 so all three cars have strong but slightly different note horns.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

I've successfully adjusted the screws to revive the horns on my '84 SE & '86 coupe over the years to maintain the two tone sound.

How does that work?

Jonathan
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Apply power to the horn; (it might hum) and turn the little screw sticking out of the housing near the connector. Try turning it a little both ways - there's a pretty good chance the horn will start working. It's worked 100% for me on 6 horns. I sound the horns occasionally - it seems to prolong their functionality. (You may wish to wear earplugs with the horn at arm's length! )

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll give that a try on my '85 before I do anything else to it. Thanks for the tip.

Jonathan
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend got me two 6-volt horns from a 1930's era car.

I had to run a 40 amp relay using the regular horn wire to trip the relay.

Power for the horns had to come directly off the battery to the new relay.

These things are loud and at night the headlights dim when you honk the horn.

Much better now than stock.

------------------

Where will the road take you today?

Some helpful links I've done
How to remove inner door panels, with pics.
How to remove outer door panels, with pics.
How to make rear coil-overs using factory struts, with pics.
How to remove rear bearing hubs, with pics.
How to modify the stock Fiero radio for MP3 players, with pics.
How to come up with the right coolant hoses for that engine swap...With Pics.
Basic Fiero electrical testing "How To" and equipment...with pics.

x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2014 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a pair of S-10 blazer horns in my old DD Fiero. They were loud enough to grab most peoples attention and people on the receiving end were probably looking for a full size truck then a little car. As for my GT, I have two systems going. First is just a FIAM air horn that sounds like a coffee truck. I also have a compressor & 4 trumpet train horn system, BUT unlike the video IMSA GT posted, I don't go around scaring the **** of people, just the ones trying to drive me off the road in their minivans.

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2014 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Caution on air horns. Some states will not allow cars with air horns only to pass inspection, such as Delaware. I've taken my work Jeep thru and when they hear the air horn they will ask if the electric horn is still functional and if so lets hear it.
If not then you fail. Yes I know it takes electric to work the compressor but that's their way.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a pair of Fiamm high/low horns on my Fiero for many years. They were loud enough to get people's attention, but not obnoxiously so.

On a side note, the horns are grounded via the mounting brackets. If the bracket and/or bolt gets rusty (and they will after a couple decades), it can reduce or even stop the flow of electricity through the circuit. If your horns aren't working, or sound half-dead, try cleaning the mating surfaces and bolt threads first.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:
On a side note, the horns are grounded via the mounting brackets. If the bracket and/or bolt gets rusty (and they will after a couple decades), it can reduce or even stop the flow of electricity through the circuit. If your horns aren't working, or sound half-dead, try cleaning the mating surfaces and bolt threads first.

You might also revive 'dead' horns by turning the adjustment screws sticking out of the housing - I've revived several that way.
(See posting above with picture for reference.)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock