87 GT Fastback - Build thread by KOS
Started on: 03-20-2013 09:47 AM
Replies: 198 (8107 views)
Last post by: KOS on 04-28-2017 10:19 AM
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Inferno:

looking really good man. I like the heatshield sound deadener you installed.

Yeah that stuff has worked out real good. Much cheaper than some other stuff and with 2 layers it really kills the sound. Not sure on the heat shield part but I expect it will be great.

Last part arrived today so I think I should have the console real close by this weekend.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

IP: Logged
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KOS

461 posts
Member since Feb 2008
Anyone got a gppd recommendation for a good UV spray for fabric?

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a little more done.

Going with a flip open set up for the tab. The stereo will be behind it when it is opened.

I need to make a proper bracket to hold the tab but this is where I am at with it. Started cutting it up but then moved onto the console.

Got the vents and gauges cut out tonight. Need to cut the other holes for the tablet, hvac and shifter. Then it will be final trimming and fill and sand.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks great man. Can't wait to see how the final lay out comes together.
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!

Got the glove box covered and the sub tube as well. Just the console is the only thing left

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is the bass tube going to be?
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marine1981:

Where is the bass tube going to be?

Well that is the interesting part. At one time I measured to fit under the dash on the passenger side. But I didnt do the best job on the glass work prep and I dont remember now if I took into account for the speaker covers. So I am hoping it still fits up there so it will be partially hidden. It is kinda bumpy but still looks ok and will look good if only a little is hanging down.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting closer now. fot the table case mounted and it working along with the surround for the stereo mounted. Little more work left including the push button magnet then it is ready for paint and install.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a neat flip open setup, what;s it out of?
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is a 2007 toyota avalon center console thingy. I just cut it up to make it work.

http://m.motortrend.com/roa...t_test/photo_01.html

That is what it looked like before I started...

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Few more little things done tonight.

Got the hvac boxed up to run to my new vents. The small holes are going to be routed back to the seats for a little texas cooling option lobuc style

Covered the power option switch plate. Didnt bother to wrap the edges since I plan to modify the original shifter plate into my console

And here it is sitting in the dirty sifter plate with my new shifter boot mounted. I will glue the switch pieces back tomorrow

Amd finally got the magnetic push button release for my tablet set in place

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

PFF
System Bot
Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you have a case for the tablet that you hard mounted to the door which makes it removable? I want to see how your air conditioned seat mod works!!
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marine1981:

So you have a case for the tablet that you hard mounted to the door which makes it removable? I want to see how your air conditioned seat mod works!!

Right on the tablet. I just cut up the plastic and mounted a metal bracket and then mounted a case on there. Then gave it a magnetic push button to hold it into place. I think it will work out ok, but I will test the magnet tonight to be sure.

Yeah the lobuc a/c seats will be an interesting mod for sure. I need to figure out a good inline valve for it now so I can turn it on or off, or maybe even regulate the flow a little. Otherwise it will be on with a/c or heat 100% of the time and I dont really want that to be the case. I did do a test to make sure the flow is adequate and it seems to be ok. I am looking at some push button valves but I need to find one small enough and has 2 positions so one push it gives half flow and the second gives full flow or air. I am hoping to make it mechanical at this time but may look into a solenoid one if I have to. But that was more of an impulse add on last night and if it falls through I can easily remove it. Since it just blow air from the opening between the seat and the back it wont be perfect but should help some in the Texas heat.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started to work on the console to rough in where the parts will go and how it will match up to the back console part...

So close but still tons of work to do.
------------------
Dan
Build Thread

[This message has been edited by KOS (edited 07-19-2013).]

fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great build up so far
The interior is coming together nicely..BTW what is that drink holder from?
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogtlt1

1006 posts
Member since Jul 2012

Originally posted by KOS:

Slowly starting to put it back together. Go the doors on. While I like the painted uppers I think I rather have them covered in black vinyl

This last shot I can really start seeing it come together and how it will really look. Once the seats and dash are done I think I will be pretty happy with it.

That looks awesome....You should think about continuing the tan strip in the groove near the top of the door panels to match.That is how I am doing mine with
black painted uppers, light grey lower panels and the light grey strip all the way around the door panel grooves and the groove in the dash.Just my opinion.
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

Great build up so far
The interior is coming together nicely..BTW what is that drink holder from?

The cup holders are from a 3 series bmw early 2000-06 or something close to that. For some reason I can't do the link very good on my phone so here it is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310688638027

It is funny I hadn't considered continuing the tan stripe. Good idea! I was really hoping for some sort of vinyl top for it but if I do it would come later. The tan stripe may be just what it needs, going to have to see how that lools for sure. I am dying to get to drive it! Once the console is done I should be able to drive it and finish out from there.

Have you done that to yours yet? Pics?

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KOS

461 posts
Member since Feb 2008
Well if anyone decides to wrap the power owindow switch plate, here is some advice. Trim the cut outs to account for the material or the switches wont fit. This is usually something I do but for some reason I had a brain fart and didnt. Not happy with the trim job I had to to make this all work. But here is the carnage

Got the center console cut tonight amd laid the first round of filler. Will sand it down tomorrow and hopefully only have to ado one more fill before it is ready. But after I samd it we (my mommy and I) will make a pattern for the fabric. Need to take advantage while she is here spending time with my twins!

Not sure how this pic turned out. But I think I am going to be able to make this all work after the finishing sanding is done. It is nice to know my mom is still here to help me sew it up. I would be screwed on the interior without her help. Maybe I will learn a thing or two and can sew my own next time

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KOS

461 posts
Member since Feb 2008
Oh and I need to order black window switches this week.

Also the cut out on the center console that looks like a hack job on the middle part kind of is. But that is just for the power switch plate so it will be covered. I actually left a little room on the left side to drill out a hole for my usb port. Kimd of an eyeball job on that part.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lotsa black! Lol. Hopefully one more skim coat and some sanding and it will be ready to be covered.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KOS:

Lotsa black! Lol. Hopefully one more skim coat and some sanding and it will be ready to be covered.

It's looking GREAT.....And by the way I haven't done the grey strip on my doors or dash yet..Maybe this week.I will get a pic up for you.
PFF
System Bot
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doing a little test fit, I think I have it close now. Cut the pattern out for the material tonight so that should start to get sewn up in the next few days.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did one last mock up for fitting before I do the final trim. Here are just a bunch of pics

The last 2 are a test fit with the new glove box. Everything seems to be fitting just right. So I have done the final trim and the last coat of filler so I can finish sanding it.

What do you guys think so far?

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good to me, Can't wait to see it covered.
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That looks awesome....You should think about continuing the tan strip in the groove near the top of the door panels to match.That is how I am doing mine with
black painted uppers, light grey lower panels and the light grey strip all the way around the door panel grooves and the groove in the dash.Just my opinion.

Here is mine with painted black with light grey vinyl bottoms and 1/4" light grey PVC in the upper groove to match.
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slowly but surely making progress.

Got the smoked covers in amd had to mill out one for the console, the form it to the console
Sitting on the mill

Cut out the windows

Now molded to the console

Last test fit with all of the parts. Need to do some final trimming amd gluing but I am in the last stretch now and it can all be installed. Will need to hook up the ac vents, drill a hole for the usb etc. Minor stuff now. Probably have it together in the next 2 weeks as I am out the rest of this week.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KOS

461 posts
Member since Feb 2008

Yeah I will have to see how that lools on mine for sure

Here is mine with painted black with light grey vinyl bottoms and 1/4" light grey PVC in the upper groove to match.

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your interior build is looking awesome..
If you don't mind me asking.What kind of black carpet are you using?because I need to change mine from grey to black.
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Your interior build is looking awesome..
If you don't mind me asking.What kind of black carpet are you using?because I need to change mine from grey to black.

Thanks! The carpet was from stockinteriors.com I got the molded ome with the mass backing. Needs to be trimmed up but not hard to do.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info

Keep up the great build.
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the fastest car I have ever driven...635hp roushcharged cobra. Just insane.

It is a backdraft racing kit and is flawless. At 100 mph in 4th gear a little blip on the throttle jumped it up to 140 with room to spare amd a whole other gear.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

PFF
System Bot
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well the console is sure taking some work to get in. almost there. But need a few more tweaks to get it to fit right. Made a few rookie mistakes on it so once it is in there, I dread having to take anything out to work on it after that. The biggest issue is I probably should have made the slope an inch outwards. It will fit but without any room to spare. Forgot to take pics but once I get that in I can put in the seats and the rest of the trim.

Man that little sub tube is working out great. The tweeters I got with it arent the best but those 5" sound real nice and give enough low end for me to be happy with. However I should have installed it before I put that dash back in...another rookie move on may part.

Once that is done the interior is pretty much complete and time to move on to the next phase....

So question on my next step. with the new interior in I want to be able to drive the car for a while so either of these 2 options will take some time to buy all of the parts before the car has to sit again.

I have a new closed mouth chin spoiler, trunk lip spoiler and smoked front markers now. But I would like to get a widebody kit for it too. As well as a suspension upgrade (possibly brakes too, but I do have a new bigger booster) and rims. I also have the engine. I am trying to decide if I should build up the motor slowly or save for the body kit and suspension parts? The body mods/suspension/rims are a much bigger ticket item than the motor swap imo. They will also take longer to aquire as I will have to save up for the $2250 plus shipping just for the widebody kit. I am leaning towards the motor swap as I can buy the parts as I go without dropping 3 grand out of the gate. THoughts on this?

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
think i found the rims i want... but 5 grand is a lot! before rubber and shipping!

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
finally. Got the console installed, but still need to do the final mounting for the controls etc. Everything is just sitting in place sort of. Then I just sat the chair in there to see how it all flows. Lastly I will need to build the rear console with the door but that will have to wait. I simply ran out of time on this build and will have to work with the way it is for now.

here are some pics even though I come to realize people dont like interior builds as much as they like motor and body mods, or at least dont comment much on them...lol

these are just some random shots. Obviously there is still a huge mess in car.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

bmac

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man you need to get into the center console business!! That looks FREAKIN awesome! I'd totally buy something like that! Excellent work man.

Brian
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Brian

Yesterday I got all of the passenger side trim and seat mounted. Got half of the driver side trim mounted as well. However somewhere along the line I did something and my stereo isnt working, so I need to track down that gremlin before I final mount all of the console stuff. I am happy so far with the way it turned out, however I am far from being an expert on interior builds. Having 4 year old twins doesnt give me enough time to have all the attention to detail that I wanted with this build. There was simply too much stuff to do with it. But Since we spend so much time inside the car I wanted my interior to be nice before I moved on to the rest of the car. I am not a fan of nasty interiors..lol!

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That really does look nice! I would love to have the talent to do the stitching and be able to cover the lower console like that! Is there another peice, a bezel or something that will "snug up" around the A/C controls?
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

That really does look nice! I would love to have the talent to do the stitching and be able to cover the lower console like that! Is there another peice, a bezel or something that will "snug up" around the A/C controls?

Thanks. Well right now I had an issue trying to secure the hvac controls and they got pushed to the right. I should be able to bring them back into center (hiding those screws) and then the black cover should do a good job of covering it up. But this was done "off the cuff" so I may need to go back and make a new bezel for it. The Bezel right now is not secured either and is laying forward so it shows more than it will once in place. But I have to find out why the stereo isnt working now before I can mount everything for good. If the stereo was working I probably would have had most of it done and been able to take some better pics of it in the sun light.I think I must have pinched a wire in the back that I have to track down.....

I am also debating if I should replace the steering wheel with this

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the new big brake booster installed tonight. Noticed a bit of a difference but not what I was hoping. I think it may be time for some new rear calipers and ss lines.

Got the interior mostly back together and the stereo working. Just a fuse that needed to be changed.

However I did notice tonight my map lights wont work not sure why as they were working before...

Just some finishing touches now and I will be done. Took it out for a spin and to gas it up. Need to recharge my ac, I guess I either have a leak or because it has been sitting the ac went warm. Anyways so close now and at least I can drive it!

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

[This message has been edited by KOS (edited 09-09-2013).]

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to mention on my drive the other night the car seems to be much quieter. The insulation has really deadened the sound. I wish I had done a before amd after test to qauntify the differences. For the price of that stuff I am super happy and still enough left over for another fiero

Not sure on how it works keeping the interior cooler yet but I tested out my bluetooth phone connection with the new mic and the caller could hear me no problem. It was a nice feeling having more modern conveniences for sure. Cant wait to install the tablet and work with the tasker app.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave