Fiero / Solstice hybrid by Boostdreamer
Started on: 02-19-2013 10:38 PM
Replies: 85 (3619 views)
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 10-23-2013 12:46 PM
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i went looking to buy a sol/sky and the trunk was the deal breaker .i dont want to drive to the golf course on a sunny day with the top up .they got it right with the solstice coupe though .GM should not have killed that one .
IP: Logged
Falcon Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Its bigger than it looks....you can pack a lot...maybe not THROW stuff in.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by Falcon Fiero (edited 02-21-2013).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Falcon Fiero may have seen this on the Solstice forum...but some random guy expanded the trunk. So if a random guy did this couldn't GM?

http://www.solsticeforum.co...mod-completed-66958/
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

So if a random guy did this couldn't GM?

http://www.solsticeforum.co...mod-completed-66958/

GM did on the 2009 Solstice Coupe.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could the gas tank have been moved to the area where the trunk extension was? Would that have made more sense?

Jonathan
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you will notice that the top is up in all those pics .i want trunk space with the top down .the extra space box mod is a great idea but still would not get a set of clubs in with the top down .
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Could the gas tank have been moved to the area where the trunk extension was? Would that have made more sense?

Jonathan

Maybe, but a gas tank right behind the bumper... could be dangerous in a Pinto sort of way.
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

you will notice that the top is up in all those pics .i want trunk space with the top down .the extra space box mod is a great idea but still would not get a set of clubs in with the top down .

Here is a set of luggage made by Kappasphere that allow the top to be stowed when the trunk is loaded. I know, because I owned the set. I originally had 4 ~$8 Walmart gym bags that worked just as well though...

http://www.kappasphere.com/...e/luggage_large2.jpg

I have seen photos of golf bags in the trunk, and have heard that some work with the top down, but if you have a huge golf bag, yeah, the Solstice is not for you....

[This message has been edited by Falcon Fiero (edited 02-22-2013).]

VF1Skullangel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 05:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VF1SkullangelClick Here to visit VF1Skullangel's HomePageSend a Private Message to VF1SkullangelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy an NSX if you want a newer car with less problems and more technology.

Those things are not only waaaaaay a head of their time but they're getting pretty cheap.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will own one someday, and after driving in Archies LS3, it will have a V8 in it.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Exactly. That is the issue. Put the top down and there goes your space for luggage and such (less space than in a Fiero).

BTW.... fiero: 6 cu.ft.

Someone else's comparison...
Solstice : $19,995 : 2/4 cu.ft. (top down/top up)
Miata : $22,098 : 5.1 cu.ft.
Mini Cooper S : $24,400 : 4.2 cu.ft.
MR-2 : $25,145 : 1.9 cu.ft.
S2000 : $32,950 : 5.0 cu.ft.
Crossfire Roadster : $34,085 : 6.5 cu.ft.
350Z Roadster : $34,150 : 4.1 cu.ft.
Z4 : $34,300 : 9.2 cu.ft.
Audi TT : $35,500 : 7.8 cu.ft.
Elise : $39,985 : 4.1 cu.ft.
Boxster : $43,800 : 9.9 cu.ft.
SLK : $45,500 : 6.5 cu.ft.
Corvette : $51,445 : 10.4 cu.ft.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 02-22-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
BlackThunderGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You do know this thread is not about solstice trunk space right?

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
Exactly. That is the issue. Put the top down and there goes your space for luggage and such (less space than in a Fiero).

BTW.... fiero: 6 cu.ft.

Someone else's comparison...
Solstice : $19,995 : 2/4 cu.ft. (top down/top up)
Miata : $22,098 : 5.1 cu.ft.
Mini Cooper S : $24,400 : 4.2 cu.ft.
MR-2 : $25,145 : 1.9 cu.ft.
S2000 : $32,950 : 5.0 cu.ft.
Crossfire Roadster : $34,085 : 6.5 cu.ft.
350Z Roadster : $34,150 : 4.1 cu.ft.
Z4 : $34,300 : 9.2 cu.ft.
Audi TT : $35,500 : 7.8 cu.ft.
Elise : $39,985 : 4.1 cu.ft.
Boxster : $43,800 : 9.9 cu.ft.
SLK : $45,500 : 6.5 cu.ft.
Corvette : $51,445 : 10.4 cu.ft.

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm really not trying to be disagreeable, and I'm not trying to say that a 1985 Fiero GT is any match for any car built in this century. What I'm trying to say that FOR IT'S DAY the Fiero was a decently engineered car. And although it's most definitely a part bin car the packaging and ergonomics is better than what GM came up with 20 years later on the Solstice/Sky. I'm sorry if that offends anyone that owns/owned a Solstice or worked on it, or is just fond of it.

I'm probably as big a fanboy of GM as anyone but sometimes their shortcuts make me want to scream. On the Fiero...the dew wipes for one, who came up with that mounting method? The plastic steering rack bushing? The entire hydraulic clutch design?

I'm not familiar enough with the Solstice/Sly to know all it's shortcomings except that it has a huge bump in the middle of the trunk. I mean it wouldn't be so insulting if they had at least leveled it off and just made the trunk shallower.

I really liked my Solstice, and one day if I've got the money and the time and space, I'll probably see if my old Solstice is for sale again. Anyway... I ordered it literally the day after the Apprentice show that debuted the car (Pontiac was always good with that kind of marketing). I had it for a few years... kept it from December of 2005 until about July of 2009. As I was nearing the end of my 3rd year, I was starting to have a lot of problems. The engine and transmission were perfect... never had any issues there, but everything else was in very poor quality. The rear-end was recalled... and thankfully so because it started making a whining noise (I got the LSD rear end). But the majority of the issues I had were with the interior. The sunroof handle fell off twice. I took it to the dealer two times only because it was under warranty. The third time I finaly did it myself and used some blue loctite. The trim panels were breaking off, and I discovered that mine had been "hand built" at the factory. Hand built as in... trying to get it out the door quick, not as in hand-built like a Ferrari. Half the interior body panels had broken tabs, and were actually attached using black double-sided duct tape. The funny thing was... the front bumper of my Solstice actually had the fog lamps built into it. You could only get the fog lamps if you ordered the convenience package or whatever it was. I didn't order that, but noticed one day that my car had EVERYTHING alreayd built in for the fog lamps. The lenses, the bulbs, the wiring, even the relays were installed. I bought the switch, and then took it to the dealer to have the BCM reflashed, and the fog lamps worked... pretty funny.

I ended up selling it, and I do defintiely miss it. I had a lot of fun with that car. Since I literally got mine in early December of 2005, I was pretty much the 1st person in Fort Lauderdale to get it. The whole first 3-6 months that I owned the car, it was.... "crazy" to say the least. I couldn't drive ANYWHERE... I mean ANYWHERE... that people weren't literally jumping out of their car to take pictures of my Solstice with their camera phone. Every time I'd pull up at a light, everyone in the car on either side of me would start talking about it... asking me if it was the one from Apprentice, how much I paid for it ($21,900 to be exact). I mean, I can't express it enough... it was crazy... people were stopping me constantly. The funny thing is that for anyone who's ever lived in Fort Lauderdale or in and around the Miami metro area... they know that every 5th car is a Porsche 911, and that 1 out of every 10 cars is either a Bentley, a Maserati, a Ferrari, or a Lamborgini. A Mercialago (sp?) Lamborgini is really a very "common" car in South Florida to the point that no one really cares... they're so common that people just ignore them. And everyone else that's not driving one of the cars I mentioned, is probably driving a Lexus LX460, a BMW M3, or some other kind of Mercedes or BMW 10 or 12 cyl... and yet people would chase me down just to get a chance to look at a Pontiac Solstice. Pretty funny.

Anyway, to make a long story longer... I still have my Fiero (my first car). The Fiero I would say has better build quality... if that makes any sense. The interior of the Fiero is certainly of a higher quality than the one in my Solstice. On the other hand, the Solstice frame (molded with high-pressure water or something, like the Vette), the engine, etc... is all top quality. The paint quality on the Solstice was also pretty cheap. When I sold mine, it was flawless... not even a slight door ding or scratch or rock chip... but the paint was thin and you could literally see it in the hood.

The Solstice was also a parts bin car... the tail-lights (back-up lights) were from some GMC suv, the seats were from an Alfa, the fog lamps were from a Grand Prix, the rear end was from a CTS (not a bad thing)... etc.

But again, I still miss it.
weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VF1Skullangel:

Buy an NSX if you want a newer car with less problems and more technology.

Those things are not only waaaaaay a head of their time but they're getting pretty cheap.

One of my all time favorite cars in appearance. I'd love to have a pristine example sitting next to my pristine Buick Reatta, sitting next to my pristine LS4 Fiero, sitting next to my pristine 94 Eldorado, sitting next to my pristine 60 Olds convertible, sitting next to my pristine............. I buy my lottery tickets twice a week.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

One of my all time favorite cars in appearance. I'd love to have a pristine example sitting next to my pristine Buick Reatta, sitting next to my pristine LS4 Fiero, sitting next to my pristine 94 Eldorado, sitting next to my pristine 60 Olds convertible, sitting next to my pristine............. I buy my lottery tickets twice a week.

I have friends of family that won the lottery...

They buy brand new cheap KIAs / Hyundais every 4 years... haha, go figure.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i dont want everyone to think i dislike the solstice ...the coupe version is one that i have my eye on .there is one for sale on autotrader .ca (ONT) right now for 25000.it is a beautiful car but i cant commit the cash right now .as far as the OP premise of this thread - no you cant make a hybrid fiero solstice .it would be a waste of time to turn the sol in to a mid engine car .it is well balanced as it is and all it needs is some creature comfort improvements .some parts off a wrecked sol could improve a fiero , but not the other way around . and no , my golf bag is not rodney dangerfield large , but i would like his built in drink dispenser .
1300zuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1300zukSend a Private Message to 1300zukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not just modernize a Fiero. Install Ecotec Engine, 5 spd trans, update interior add more sound dampening materials, new carpet, new seats, etc

They do it all the time on 60's cars, throw out the old technology and replace it with modern in the old school box.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But as I said earlier, I'll probably end up owning one at some point as a fun toy.

I also have been looking at these the past few weeks a bit on the Houston and Dallas Craigslist. I filter out the dealer ads and just look at owners ads. Looks like the Sky is a lot , I dare to use this, 'Rare' than it's close cousin. They are asking more $ than their Pontiac also.

I removed the trunk from my 88 when I stuffed the 4.9 in the car. I now have a 3.4 in there, and wish I had access to a parts car to put the lower part back in my car. That would double my trunk space. This mini trunk in the Solstice bothers me. I think the Sky is a nicer looking car than the Solstice.

I am thinking that there isn't enough room for the young lady to fit in with this size trunk.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 02-23-2013).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1300zuk:

Why not just modernize a Fiero. Install Ecotec Engine, 5 spd trans, update interior add more sound dampening materials, new carpet, new seats, etc

They do it all the time on 60's cars, throw out the old technology and replace it with modern in the old school box.

I would LOVE to see someone take a Fiero 4-cyl coupe, and install a 2.0 Ecotec Turbo and 6-Speed manual transmission into it... and then enhance the car as much as possible to keep the weight down and make it more efficient, while still keeping the car externally looking 100% stock. I can only imagine how cool that car would be. It would not only be quick (as in high 13s or better), but also probably get ~35 miles to the gallon on the highway.

If I had the time and place right now... I would do it in a heart-beat.

Personally, I would prefer an 87 or 88 coupe.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1300zuk:

i have the ecotec and f23 5 speed and a whole bunch of other parts , only my catalytic convertor is from a solstice though .i dont have the bottom of my trunk because thats where my cat and muffler are .but my clubs still fit fine in there and lots of room for weekend getaway luggage without the clubs in there .my thread is in the construction zone .
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still want a Solstice. Its only for lack of garage space that I haven't bought one.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

I am thinking that there isn't enough room for the young lady to fit in with this size trunk.

I don't know she might still fit.

And imagine if GM had fulfilled the promise of the front trunk as shown in this 1983 Prototype

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 02-23-2013).]

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a lot of people drool over the solstice 2.0 turbo .but that engine will not work in a fiero without changing out the exhaust manifold .it is not designed to have a drive axle there .a better choice is the ecotec 2.0 turbo that will soon be readily available at your local wreckers .it is now an option motor in malibu's , standard in a lot of buicks and cadilac's . the buick and malibu motors are front drive , the buick even comes with a manual tranny ...
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

a lot of people drool over the solstice 2.0 turbo .but that engine will not work in a fiero without changing out the exhaust manifold .it is not designed to have a drive axle there .a better choice is the ecotec 2.0 turbo that will soon be readily available at your local wreckers .it is now an option motor in malibu's , standard in a lot of buicks and cadilac's . the buick and malibu motors are front drive , the buick even comes with a manual tranny ...

Dont forget that the Caddy version is over 270HP.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002

I agree with everything you say except I think the Fiero was the better engineered parts bin car. I am not happy with the Fiero front trunk the way the components are just randomly located all over the place. But they did a very decent job in the rear trunk. Two people can easily pack enough gear for a weekend getaway or even a week trip if they are careful.
The KAPA is NOT a 'parts bin " car. Its parts are mostly brand new and specific to the KAPA only. Very few parts are off the shelf, but are easy to point out.

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
but the caddy is RWD .you could get the caddy ECM and BCM and use it with the buick motor and make the same HP .the engines physically are all the same other than FWD /RWD differences .
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

but the caddy is RWD .you could get the caddy ECM and BCM and use it with the buick motor and make the same HP .the engines physically are all the same other than FWD /RWD differences .

After all the work that will go into a swap like that, a custom header would be the least of my worries Depending on the design, a header and exhaust system could even help the performance?

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002
BTW I would LOVE to get my hands on a Solstice or Sky. I have been thinking of some mods for it
I think I could flatten out the trunk? But the car also needs a serious diet plan.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Dont forget that the Caddy version is over 270HP.

With a couple of Map sensor changes and a computer flash you can do 290 HO and 315-340 FT LB of torque with the GM Performance kit. I have one in my HHR SS and GM keeps the5 year 100,000 miles warranty on it.

A tuner can do the same thing.

Mine is a daily driver and no issues with 23 PSI of boost on premium.

As for part bin the car is not as much as the Fiero but it recycled more parts than you think. Very good parts but part all the same. But GM does this on other cars too. My HHR SS has a sun roof from a CTS Cadillac in it. My steering wheel is from a Corvette Brakes are the same as the Solstice and Malibu.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

With a couple of Map sensor changes and a computer flash you can do 290 HO and 315-340 FT LB of torque with the GM Performance kit. I have one in my HHR SS and GM keeps the5 year 100,000 miles warranty on it.

A tuner can do the same thing.
U on
Mine is a daily driver and no issues with 23 PSI of boost on premium.

As for part bin the car is not as much as the Fiero but it recycled more parts than you think. Very good parts but part all the same. But GM does this on other cars too. My HHR SS has a sun roof from a CTS Cadillac in it. My steering wheel is from a Corvette Brakes are the same as the Solstice and Malibu.

That is kondof my point. You can say the Corvette is a parts bin car with that kind of definition.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackThunderGT:

You do know this thread is not about solstice trunk space right?

If there is no trunk, there isn't much room for an engine either

PFF
System Bot
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My daily driver duties more or less go back and forth between the '87 GT and a '07 Solstice GXP. I've got other cars, but those two get most of the miles right now. My $0.02:

The Fiero is actually a lot more fun to drive around in. Sounds crazy to say, but the Fiero has just the right amount of fast, loose, and feedback. The Solstice is so fast and offers so much grip you have be driving *really* irresponsibly to really have any fun. I actually sold my CTS-V to get the GXP - it was even worse. It was just too much car for the street. 2nd gear, speed limit, fun over. It's like the saying goes... "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow." I'm probably going to sell the GXP in the near future - the Fiero easily fulfills "fun commuter."

Anyone who calls the Solstice a "parts bin car" doesn't understand the meaning of that phrase. Everything about the Solstice was designed ground-up. There is nothing like it anywhere in GM's inventory. They built it pretty much entirely around its drivetrain, with no hesitation for sacrifice in practicality to deliver sports car. It's as close to the VX220/Elise as GM has ever delivered in this country. What it's severely lacking is polish - it was rushed to market and then dropped. It really benefits from chassis and suspension tweaks, but all the important stuff is already there - in spades.

Like others, I have happily taken the Solstice on a few roadtrips. Obviously I'm not packing for a week, but it's plenty practical for a weekend trip or whatever. The "trunk" is ridiculous and there is less in-cabin storage than the Fiero. Never held me back from a road trip. If I need to take a lot of stuff or am going to be gone for a while, I just FedEx my luggage to myself at wherever I'm going. Saves weight, saves gas, win.

With those aforementioned chassis tweaks, the Solstice is incredibly fun to drive, and I can't see how any major modifications (like engine relocation) would help it one iota. Messing up good balance, good suspension design, etc. would be unusual, but it wouldn't be good. If you like unusual, that's great, but couching changes as "improvement" would probably be a mis-characterization.

Does someone have a weight comparison of various engine swaps in the Fiero? Like, how does a fully dressed LNF compare to a 3800SC or LS4? The idea of adding 100+hp to the Fiero and saving a few hundred pounds sounds like magic to me. I've got no intention of an engine swap - I really like my car the way it is (at least engine wise!), but I really am curious. With various GM turbo ass draggers showing up in the junkyard soon, the mind does wander....

BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of interesting impressions in this thread.

As the owner of a 1988 Fiero GT and also one of the less than 300 2009 Solstice GXP manual trans coupes, I think I have a pretty good basis for comparison.

First, the idea of installing a midengine power plant at the back of a front engine car is...stupid. Sorry, tried to think of a nicer term, but afraid that's it. There is no good reason to even think about doing that, and it wouldn't accomplish anything if youy did spend the huge amounts of money required, so it is basically a little wet dream you can ponder in private, but suggesting it seriously on this board is like getting caught with your pants down - best not to go there, I'd think.

Second, many of the comments on the shortcomings of the Solstice are correct. They do not have as much room for luggage etc. as a Fiero, and the Fiero steering has a better feel, being unassisted (I have never driven anything with power assist that didn't deaden feel - they may be out there, but I haven't experienced them).

OTOH, they are an attractive car that goes and handles far better than any stock Fiero ever did. In fact a stock GXP compares favourably with my modified Fiero with double the stock power and the chassis all tuned, and once I'd done the same thing to the Solstice, it was significantly beyond the Fiero in terms of performance.

The Fiero is still a lot of fun (I'l be driving it most of the summer) but the Solstice is two decades more advanced despite the creature comfort shortcomings (which aren't really all that bad once you get used to them).

The reason no one has probably shoved the LNF version of the Ecotec in a Fiero is probably cost - few seem to be willing to lay out $4K or so on a new engine and then figure out how to get it in there. If you do, you'll find that the power is limited mostly by your wallet. Want 400 BHP? No problem. Want more, just pony up more dollars.

The hybrid that makes the most sense is an Ecotec in a Fiero (I know that NA versions of the engine have been done, but haven't seen any turbo LNF swaps). The Fiero has nothing at all to offer the Solstice (dated engine with relatively low output and crappy breathing) so going the other way has zero possibilities. Some body please do a lightweight high output LNF in a Fiero and you'll see what I am talking about when I say the possibilities are VERY interesting.

[This message has been edited by BillS (edited 02-25-2013).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BillS:

First, the idea of installing a midengine power plant at the back of a front engine car is...stupid. Sorry, tried to think of a nicer term, but afraid that's it. There is no good reason to even think about doing that, and it wouldn't accomplish anything if youy did spend the huge amounts of money required, so it is basically a little wet dream you can ponder in private, but suggesting it seriously on this board is like getting caught with your pants down - best not to go there, I'd think.

I completely disagree. Ideas are meant to be discussed. Notice the 2 pages of discussion on this topic already? People need to discuss ideas, not to ensure that they are executed but so others can add to it or modify it. When discussions about those kind of ideas take place, often the culmination of all the input results in something really cool and unique. Dreams, wet or otherwise, are the source of all the mods you see on this forum. Never kill another's dreams. You'll never know what his next idea could have been.

Jonathan

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BillS:

A lot of interesting impressions in this thread.

As the owner of a 1988 Fiero GT and also one of the less than 300 2009 Solstice GXP manual trans coupes, I think I have a pretty good basis for comparison.

Second, many of the comments on the shortcomings of the Solstice are correct. They do not have as much room for luggage etc. as a Fiero, and the Fiero steering has a better feel, being unassisted (I have never driven anything with power assist that didn't deaden feel - they may be out there, but I haven't experienced them).

OTOH, they are an attractive car that goes and handles far better than any stock Fiero ever did. In fact a stock GXP compares favourably with my modified Fiero with double the stock power and the chassis all tuned, and once I'd done the same thing to the Solstice, it was significantly beyond the Fiero in terms of performance.

The Fiero is still a lot of fun (I'l be driving it most of the summer) but the Solstice is two decades more advanced despite the creature comfort shortcomings (which aren't really all that bad once you get used to them).

The reason no one has probably shoved the LNF version of the Ecotec in a Fiero is probably cost - few seem to be willing to lay out $4K or so on a new engine and then figure out how to get it in there. If you do, you'll find that the power is limited mostly by your wallet. Want 400 BHP? No problem. Want more, just pony up more dollars.

The hybrid that makes the most sense is an Ecotec in a Fiero (I know that NA versions of the engine have been done, but haven't seen any turbo LNF swaps). The Fiero has nothing at all to offer the Solstice (dated engine with relatively low output and crappy breathing) so going the other way has zero possibilities. Some body please do a lightweight high output LNF in a Fiero and you'll see what I am talking about when I say the possibilities are VERY interesting.

You were spot on. Neither car is perfect but few sports cars are even the expensive ones.

You may have mashed a few toes but you are correct as the pure engineering and physics aspect of the idea of putting the engine in the back is so counter productive to a very good handling car. Again many fail to take into account that it is the balance of the weight not were the engine is that makes a car handle. Just because you dream it does not always make for a good idea.

I own a LNF and it would make a fine engine for the Fiero. I just drove the new version of the Turbo in a ATS Cadillac and it is even more refined. These engines will be very common and cheaper in the very near future.

Anyways thank you for injecting some facts and reality.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

My daily driver duties more or less go back and forth between the '87 GT and a '07 Solstice GXP. I've got other cars, but those two get most of the miles right now. My $0.02:

You have a PM.

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2013 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here you go Boostdreamer I had to do more than one

Stretched in the back

Shortened nose a little

And finally moved front wheel all to give it more Fiero Dimensions.

------------------

Love The Excitement! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2013 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty cool! Looks very natural. Doesn't look modified in any way. Nice work!

Thanks,
Jonathan
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2013 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Pretty cool! Looks very natural. Doesn't look modified in any way. Nice work!

Thanks,
Jonathan

Thanks for that I could have made a couple different chooses with it so that I wouldn’t be able to point them out but you like it and that’s cool with me.

------------------

Love The Excitement! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2013 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my turbo ecotec in my 86 gt .wiseco pistons , eagle rods ARP head studs and rod bolts , LSJ head gasket ,air to water intercooling , water meth injection ,modded 2.4L intake , hahn racecraft turbo manifold and 20G turbo , 34 lb injectors , HP tuners and some other stuff i dont remember .this block and head came out of a 2006 malibu .the wiring and controlsand 5 speed. are from my first motor , 2004 cavalier .i really do not yearn for the LNF motor .the only advantage the LNF has over mine is torque off the line .i have 42 lb injectors to put in and then i can get around 400 HP after changing my tune .i have not bothered yet because i find the car plenty fast enough for me and i get great mileage .but the biggest improvement is the handling .this was originally a 2.8 v6 and taking 150 lbs out of the back made the car nimble is the best way to describe it .
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock