Guru's car by bmwguru
Started on: 02-09-2013 08:25 AM
Replies: 197 (16052 views)
Last post by: steve308 on 08-08-2019 02:29 PM
Hidalgo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HidalgoSend a Private Message to HidalgoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since you're using the stock ECU, do you plan on having it reprogrammed by Hirsch Performance? I believe Reinertsen Motors in Denville could do that for you. I know you have a lot more to do on it than just reflashing it, like surgically removing the BCM's code from it, but Hirsch's reflash might be a good start. I've read they can add up to 30hp to an LP9. They were the only Saab factory-approved aftermarket performance parts back before GM shut Saab down.

http://www.hirsch-performance.ch/

[This message has been edited by Hidalgo (edited 04-21-2014).]

IP: Logged
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amazing quality work!! You are really talented. What do you expect for 0 to 60 times when its finished?
Hidalgo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HidalgoSend a Private Message to HidalgoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

Dave

Hey, now wait a minute, I know those Speedhut gauges, and I'm pretty sure that speedo uses a GPS signal! I thought you said you were going to try to adapt the VSS system to the Fiero? You're cheating!

I'm curious, are those Speedhut gauges the same diameter as the two large circular openings in the stock Fiero gauge cluster?

[This message has been edited by Hidalgo (edited 04-21-2014).]

bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hidalgo:

Since you're using the stock ECU, do you plan on having it reprogrammed by Hirsch Performance? I believe Reinertsen Motors in Denville could do that for you. I know you have a lot more to do on it than just reflashing it, like surgically removing the BCM's code from it, but Hirsch's reflash might be a good start. I've read they can add up to 30hp to an LP9. They were the only Saab factory-approved aftermarket performance parts back before GM shut Saab down.

http://www.hirsch-performance.ch/

I have been in contact with John Z Williams about the tune and what I need for it. My original plan was to use HP Tuners, but after speaking with John, I plan to let him have free reign on the tune because HP Tuners is lacking on that particular ecu. I am not planning to obtain much more than 400whp on this car. I don't think I need any more.

Originally posted by Csjag:

Amazing quality work!! You are really talented. What do you expect for 0 to 60 times when its finished?

I really don't have a clue what to expect. I will post once I find out.

Originally posted by Hidalgo:

Hey, now wait a minute, I know those Speedhut gauges, and I'm pretty sure that speedo uses a GPS signal! I thought you said you were going to try to adapt the VSS system to the Fiero? You're cheating!

I'm curious, are those Speedhut gauges the same diameter as the two large circular openings in the stock Fiero gauge cluster?

These are 4" gauges and I made a custom cluster housing for them. As for the Saab VSS, there isn't a sensor in the transmission and it uses the wheel speed sensor signal from the ABS module and the CIM module through the CAN line. That isn't going to work for me, so I went with the GPS speedo.

I really wanted a big tach with small speedo, but I am pleased with the gauge choice. This setup allows me to remove the rally gauges which I never really liked the look of them in the Fiero anyway.

Dave

jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This build thread is awe inspiring. Can't wait until you get it finished.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I mounted the fuel pump module and auxiliary terminal 30 fusebox yesterday. I wound up ordering a bunch of parts for the interior of my VR6 Fiero and I snuck this into the order for this car.

Dave
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope that's a joke.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, i am serious. I ordered a bunch of interior parts for the VR6 swap. If it comes out as nice as I hope, I may get the dash in this car covered in suede too.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave, did you ever decide on using those Speedhut gauges I gave you?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes.....they will be installed in the VR6 within the next few months
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet!!!
PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No, i am serious. I ordered a bunch of interior parts for the VR6 swap. If it comes out as nice as I hope, I may get the dash in this car covered in suede too.

I think that may have been a stab at the a2a intercooler.
Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

After pulling the engine apart, I am very thankful that I don't work on Saab's. Everything seems like a pain in the ass on that car. (Note: this is coming from the guy that removes the nose on an Audi to change a belt)

I right with you there, had to remove the front bumper on my jetta to change a thermostat earlier this week. (more to drain the radiator since i did a flush but still)
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

I think that may have been a stab at the a2a intercooler.

For the power level I want to achieve and boost I'll be running, I believe that the small air to air intercooler will be fine. My end goal with this car is a lot different than most Fiero owners. This car will probably never see the track or attend a car show because I lost interest in both.

I'll post up a pic of the electronics station I built once it is complete. I am running out of room fast because I am trying to keep everything clean and looking like it belongs there and not just thrown into the car.

Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006
Here are a few pics of Ryan's dash for his Fiero. I wanted to see how his came out before I tried it on mine. I have the suede headliner and plan to do the A-pillars to match.

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006
I spent a decent amount of time and money ensuring that the swap receives all new wiring and terminals. Here is one of the relay plugs that is about to be put together.

Dave

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really liked the way Ryan's flocked dash came out for his Fiero, so I had him do the same treatment to mine. I think it looks flocking great. The A-pillars are next and the VR6 Fiero will be getting the same treatment.

Here is the end result of my dash. I was hesitant to do it at first because this is one of the nicest dashes that I managed to find in a Fiero with zero blemishes and I spent a lot of my time keeping it safe while it was out of the car. The nice part is that it is easy to do if you have patience. The downside is that the flock that is not attached is a little messy to clean up.

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks great!
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm taking this month off the swap to redirect my attention elsewhere. Being able to do this is an amazing feeling because I don't have to answer to anyone but myself and I honestly don't wanna work on it right now.

I'm spending this month doing a high horsepower Porsche 930 build for a client and I'm redoing the interior of the VR6 Fiero.

Dave
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well, the month of may is out, you ready to get back to work?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes Sir!!!!!

I'm feeling pretty rested and anxious to get cranking on this car. One of the things I am planning involves stripping the interior again and redoing it, but that will be done in the midst of getting it running.

Dave
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 05:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the interior all back together and all the wiring is run to look like factory. Everything is routed and loomed perfectly. Here are a few pics.

I took the power steering pump that I gutted out and I started to plan out a proper delete. That part of the build was bothering me and I finally came up with a proper solution that I'll post up pics later.

I'm spending this month doing a high horsepower Porsche 930 build for a client

Dave

Here is what we wound up doing with the Porsche. This thing is making crazy power and is making me really reconsider what I am driving.

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2014 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have the interior all back together and all the wiring is run to look like factory. Everything is routed and loomed perfectly. Here are a few pics.

Here is what we wound up doing with the Porsche. This thing is making crazy power and is making me really reconsider what I am driving.

Guru, I love how you are trying to keep the swap looking like it could have been done by the factory. The instrument panel is nicely done, but looks like somethings missing between the two instrument pods. I could not verify all the gauges you have in there, but a smaller round boost gauge would look cool placed in the middle of the panel. The Intercooler on the Porsche is huge! If decide your next driver will be a Porsche, put me in line for this Fiero!

My bad, it looks like you have boost gauge in the tachometer.....

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 06-28-2014).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a large speedo with small tach. They didn't offer the large tach with small speedo when I ordered the gauges. What I really want is a 4" tach in the center. A 3" speedo on the left and a 3" multi gauge on the right. Maybe I will redo the gauges down the road after the car is running and driving.

Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 06-28-2014).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006
I wound up removing the gutted power steering pump and I came up with this:

I found it searching online for Volkswagen power steering delete kits. The Saab and VW use KYB pumps. There was a 6.5mm offset difference between this standoff and what I needed, but that wasn't a big deal to take out of the standoff.

Dave

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I closed the shop today through Sunday and I spent the day working on this project.

The first part of today, I dropped the gas tank and pulled the sender. I drilled a hole in the sender (and sealed it) for the pump ground wire and changed out to two separate plugs with new terminals and housings. This allows the fuel pump module to be able to vary the pump speed to regulate pressure and volume. The second plug is power and ground for the gauge. I used two different plugs to avoid confusion in the future.

Here is a quick shot of the shop with my car. The yellow tool cart was a recent purchase for me last week. I still have my triple bank box, but I was out of room in it. Between that and an oversize cabinet for the shop specialty tools, I was in the market for a new tool box. The one I wanted was $18,000 and the tool cart was $1800, so I opted for a new tool cart to free up some space in the box and make the usual used tools at my fingertips.

The POR-15 still looks good underneath...

I also spent two hours today putting together the mock up charge pipe with intercooler. I want it to look right, so I'm doing it twice. The battery cables were installed today and all the wiring is now complete, secured and loomed.

Tomorrow, I plan to fill the cooling system and try to get it ready to start up by the end of this month. I'll be using G12 coolant in the system.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today, I spent a few hours rechecking a few items on the swap. I have the cooling system complete, the wiring harness is complete and double checked at all connections. I wound up having to take one of the ignition coil connectors apart to pin an additional signal wire for the tach. The factory tach hookup uses a module on the BUS that was eliminated, so I had to go this route.

The oil was added...

The relay system was made to look tidy. Here are the Main Relay, Fuel Pump Relay and A/C Relay. The fuel pump relay just turns on the pump module and doesn't directly power the pump.

Tomorrow, I plan to test the fan and replace the existing relay with a new factory one.

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't take any pics, but the update is as follows:

Intercooler installed, but need support bracket fabricated.

Custom stage 5 tune flashed.

Engine cranked until oil pressure reached safe level.

Cooling system filled.

The plan for today is to calibrate the fly by wire throttle body and I have to attach the brake switch control wire to the ecu. The clutch is giving me issues. It seems to have gone from having a good pedal to no pedal. I'll have to check for a leak under the car.

Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like we hit a major hurdle in this swap. We are having issues getting past the immobilizer and I am not willing to add four or five modules to the car to make it work. Basically, I have full communication of the ecu, but can't get the injectors to pulse due to the missing modules.

I'm not upset or stressed about this. I do have a backup plan for this because it was a never done swap, I planned on issues. I am not 100% certain on this decision, but I may have to get a standalone for this swap.
In the meantime, I plan to redo my door panels and finish the interior. I also have the clutch to contend with.

Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With a lot of research, emails and luck I am able to use the Saab ecu after all.

Dave
PFF
System Bot
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear it. Now let's see it run.......
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
why not construction zone yet?

[This message has been edited by ericjon262 (edited 08-23-2014).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I really liked the way Ryan's flocked dash came out for his Fiero, so I had him do the same treatment to mine. I think it looks flocking great. The A-pillars are next and the VR6 Fiero will be getting the same treatment.

Here is the end result of my dash. I was hesitant to do it at first because this is one of the nicest dashes that I managed to find in a Fiero with zero blemishes and I spent a lot of my time keeping it safe while it was out of the car. The nice part is that it is easy to do if you have patience. The downside is that the flock that is not attached is a little messy to clean up.

Flocking really bothers me, feeling flocking gives me the same feeling I get when someone runs their fingernails across a chaulk board. Just looking at it makes me uncomfortable. It does look good though, when I'm ready to do my dash I'll be looking for a suede like meterial for mine.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm confused at that comment because I have flocked A pillars and a suede headliner and they feel very similar. There is a slight difference in the feel, so that may be what you are referring to. The only reason some parts are flocked and some are suede covered depended on the base condition. The A pillars and dash were perfect, so flocking was best. The bottom of the door panel is kind of wavy and has imperfections from the factory which is why it has material on it, so I used suede with a 1/8" backing on it for that and the headliner.

The downside of the flock is that it takes around 10 days to cure before it can be handled.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad that you'll be able to use the stock ECU after all, lets get this beast running already
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's probably just me, I have never heard anyone else have the same complaint about flocking. It could also be the quality of the materials used, type of fiber, lenghth and thickness. So what I hate could be cheap flocking I associate all flocking with vs what you have avaliable.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 08-23-2014).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I needed a sanity break while I wait for my hardware and software to arrive from Europe.

So, I washed the car with Dawn dish soap twice. Used claybar on it and then washed it again with Zaino car wash. Added two coats of base polish with gloss enhancer in between each coat and let that sit overnight. Then today, I used the high gloss polish for two coats with the gloss enhancer in between coats again and a final top coat of the enhancer.

The car is so smooth, the cover won't stay on the car without two people putting it on.

Here are the pics.

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So purdy wish I was closer to NJ, I'd love to come see your stuff in person.

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
15 minutes ago, the car started and ran. Now it is on to the tuning and working out the minor bugs.

Dave
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock