Started on: 02-09-2013 08:25 AM
Replies: 197 (16050 views)
Last post by: steve308 on 08-08-2019 02:29 PM
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've decided to stay with the stock twin scroll turbocharger. It will make the power that I want and twin scrolls are known for their very little lag. It will also fit in the engine bay and allow me to use the stock Saab manifolds. I sent it to Scroll Products in North Jersey to get the 19t compressor wheel upgrade and the bearing upgrade as well. He then sent the compressor and turbine housings back to me so I could powdercoat the compressor side and ceramic coat the turbine housing. I then sent them back to him to finish assembling the turbo and balance it.

I forgot to take some pics of the housings before I shipped them, but I will take pics of it fully assembled. Here are two pics of the compressor side already honed out for the 19t wheel upgrade. I do like Scroll Products....I've done business with them before upgrading VW turbos for our customers.

IP: Logged
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 06:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turbo mods are complete. Now the 19t wheel upgrade is complete. I did the powder coating and ceramic coating in my shop and the project is moving along.

Charlie64

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Dave
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You call this a "build thread"? You suck at making stuff orange. My builder is way better than the guy you're using.

Sorry just felt like something was missing Crap, probably should have waited until I had my car back.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

You call this a "build thread"? You suck at making stuff orange. My builder is way better than the guy you're using.

Sorry just felt like something was missing Crap, probably should have waited until I had my car back.

lol....Ryan and I left you a present in your car. I'm sure you will be surprised when you find it.

Dave
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave, I like your way of putting a car together. There is absolutly no BS. You change all wearable parts, go through the car
carefully, and most importantly you get to work and get things done.

I've followed your swaps over the years and I have nothing but good remarks to say !

Cheers !

BTW, good choice on choosing an 88 chassis.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2013 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

It is port injected. The DI engines are all later years...and I couldn't find an application with the F40...only AWD and RWD. I really wanted a DI engine for the benefits, but from my experience with BMW's, I'm not sure if it is really worth the cons.

Guru, what are the cons to DI engines? I have heard they tend to build up more deposits than port injected engines if top tier fuel is not used. The previous generation (2008-2012) Malibu's offered 3.6 port injected engines attached to 6 speed automatics. Would that combination be significantly easier to swap into a Fiero than the turbo Saab version? I still like the idea of a manual transaxle better, but the greater availability of the Malibu driveline should make sourcing replacement parts easier.

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lol....Ryan and I left you a present in your car. I'm sure you will be surprised when you find it.

Dave

Winkie is going to a new home?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2013 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Guru, what are the cons to DI engines? I have heard they tend to build up more deposits than port injected engines if top tier fuel is not used. The previous generation (2008-2012) Malibu's offered 3.6 port injected engines attached to 6 speed automatics. Would that combination be significantly easier to swap into a Fiero than the turbo Saab version? I still like the idea of a manual transaxle better, but the greater availability of the Malibu driveline should make sourcing replacement parts easier.

The cons I have seen with BMW's are excessive carbon buildup on the back of the valves. It can be so severe that the cylinder head has to come off, but normally blasting the valves with walnut shells can fix it. I've also replaced camshafts and high pressure pumps on the Audi's. There are a lot of pro's with the DI setup too.
I chose the Saab setup because it met every aspect of my criteria. I wanted a factory turbo four cam V6 with a 6 speed. It will make the power I want to make. The Fiero is not a good drag car and I find shoot for a 10 second Fiero is not what I want. If I wanted to build a 9-10 second car, I'd buy a Supra and put the proper safety equipment in it. I want a fun to drive car that is quick, but not overkill. I'm building this car to please me.
I had to buy some parts for it and the local Caddy dealer sold me everything needed. Most of the parts for this engine is on the Caddy version.

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

Winkie is going to a new home?

Something like that

Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 02-27-2013).]

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2013 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Saab V6 turbo/6-speed manual will make a great powerplant for the Fiero. Plus, you can still say "It's a 2.8"

I anticipate it will also return pretty good mileage. The car should handle great and be a blast to drive. How does the stock engine and tranny compare in weight to the new combo?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2013 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure of the weight....it is an all aluminum block, but it is pretty massive in size. I have no updates this week.....I'm just planning on putting some of the interior together on the car within the next week or two. I plan to dynamat the interior roof before I install the headliner.

Dave
PFF
System Bot
Carcenomy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2013 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hells to the yes, this is the build I've been waiting for. Subscribed!

------------------

Kento

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2013 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guru, who do you get your Powder and Ceramic from. I am getting ready to order some and realized the Price has gone up since I last ordered Ceramic.

Joe

------------------

88 Formula CJB Arrived Finally. #689 of 1252
Time to start Working TONY!
There are Two kinds of Fiero's : Notchies and Donors!
Click here for My 88 t-Top Build

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2013 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2013 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Charlie64:

Looking good Dave

X2
Kento

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2013 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

http://www.powderbuythepound.com

I use http://powder365.com/store/

I for some reason never went with them. I order my Ceramic from http://www.caswellplating.com/
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally had a new windshield installed and had the window guys install the quarter windows. I asked for them to put a rubber seal behind the quarter windows and it looks so much better then when there is no seal. It adds to it so much.

My tint arrived a few days ago, so I plan to tint the windows 5% (limo black) while the interior is out. Normally the headliner has to come out to get good coverage on the back window. Once that is done, I'll work on the interior and install the suede headliner.

Dave

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I finally had a new windshield installed and had the window guys install the quarter windows. I asked for them to put a rubber seal behind the quarter windows and it looks so much better then when there is no seal. It adds to it so much.

Where did you get your quarter windows? Could you post some pics of the windows installed with this rubber seal.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got the windows from the Fiero Store back in 2007.

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 03-17-2013).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took a few hours for myself today and went to the shop to play with the car. I tinted the rear window with 5% non reflective tint. Then I wound up recovering the rear carpet piece in suede and then I covered the fiberglass headliner in suede. Once the covering was done, I covered the back of the headliner with thin Dynamat. I thin it came out pretty decent. The next step is to start assembling the rest of the interior and order the Momo steering wheel.

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 03-24-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!
HAGO!
TRiAD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MMmm, black suede!

Eau_Rouge

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave, in your opinion, if this engine was tucked up against the firewall, would it be possible to mount it longitudinally with a Porsche Boxster type gear box or is the engine too long?
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/3688958970.html

Here you go Dave --- a time saver for you

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

I'm speechless...and no longer in the mood for lunch

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Well... It's ugly, but at least it's slow.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2013 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to work on this again as I need to free up the lift, so I spent a few late nights earlier this week getting my car mobile.

I really hate that hump, and it didn't clear the oil pan, so we cut it out and welded in a flat piece.

The front engine mount bracket.....not certain if it is the final product yet, but it puts the drivetrain where I want it. It uses Rodney's front engine mount. The rear trans mount is much thicker and the final product is done. The front trans mount is a stock Saab with a poly mount pressed into where the rubber was.

Some more pics of the drivetrain mounted.

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2013 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The beefy rear transmission mount we built. The Saab F40 mounting is different than the G6 F40.

We used the Saab front transmission mount and welded a bracket to the cradle. I added a poly insert to the mount to stiffen it up.

It is ready to go in for the final time. (yes I realize it is facing the wrong way)

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2013 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just put it in that way, it's make things exciting...

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2013 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are some installed pics...(facing the correct way).

Look how much room I have to work on the front of the engine.

here are some other pics...

I had to remove the oil cap extension and wastegate due to interference issues, but not a big deal.

Dave
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2013 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My goodness thats a sexy engine bay.

------------------

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2013 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here are some installed pics...(facing the correct way).

...and of course, it looks like it belongs there.

That's just dead sexy.
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good!
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice, I want one for my Mera! The cam covers would have to be "arrest me red".
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 05:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New Momo steering wheel installed. Not much else to report. I plan to replace the brake master cylinder this week and flush the completely dry brake system with the ATE super blue.

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 06-18-2013).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 06:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work, I love seeing your creative choices of swaps.

Looks like you have more room in there to work on that engine than in the 9-3 Aero. My family has one and it's a pain to get to anything in that engine compartment.
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw this and for some reason thought of you.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Saw this and for some reason thought of you.

LMAO!

Yes! I could see all of us here doing exactly that. For the record, the sparks don't hurt after years of being hit by them, so I can see why the guy doesn't flinch.

Dave
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock