Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Fiero and Tree = Bad day. (Pic Attached) (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fiero and Tree = Bad day. (Pic Attached) by Tweeter
Started on: 11-23-2012 04:55 PM
Replies: 133 (5393 views)
Last post by: Tweeter on 07-30-2015 06:55 AM
Tweeter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweeterSend a Private Message to TweeterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtxbullet:

OWWEEE!!!!!

Glad you're ok.

looks like the front marker lights are still good
Kudos to you!!!

They are the LED ones too.
IP: Logged
Tweeter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweeterSend a Private Message to TweeterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tweeter

253 posts
Member since Nov 2011

Originally posted by Spoon:

Second pic from the top... Isn't the rear of the hood suppose to lock in place during a crash and buckle in the middle? With a bit more speed this looks like a potential decapitation in progress.

Spoon

I leave the hood open for a vent.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 04:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweeter:

Very bad idea, for the reason that Spoon mentioned (although I suppose a fiberglass hood is a lot less dangerous than a metal one). Might be better to install some proper vents if you wish to release under hood air.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-27-2012).]

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lucky you didn't vent your neck!
I'm not sure if you mentioned it but how did you happen to end up driving through the woods? Deer hunting?

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 11-27-2012).]

Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boy this will need a frame jig. So all in all its totaled under German workshop prizes.
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They are the LED ones too.

sweet!!! I didn't notice that.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Until I read this I had been thinking that your front end got light from trapped air. I was going to suggest a hood vent on your next one or on this one if you fix it.

So was it wet conditions? Too fast? Unexpected curve?

Glad you walked away. My son totaled my first Fiero into a tree also. Even though we both walked away, I thought that was the end but I've bought 4 more since then!!

Jonathan

Tweeter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweeterSend a Private Message to TweeterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boostdreamer.

Reason for the accident was avoiding a black VW golf that came towards me in my lane. The driver did not stop, but the look on his face was great I'm sure he needed to change his pants.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nobody will repair that wreck in 2012. It is a write off.
Tweeter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweeterSend a Private Message to TweeterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

Nobody will repair that wreck in 2012. It is a write off.

Its a Hobby and repairing it will keep me busy..

FYI,

The body shop put the repair cost at $9500. Im still waiting for a break down of his estimate.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jason,
Just saw this one....holy cow! Sorry to hear about it. Glad you are okay. Everything else is secondary to me. Now, where do I need to ship a whole new frame to? Just FYI: there is a stripped 85GT here with no motor or interior but all the bits you should need and pristine frame. My suggestion would be just to have another GT sent over to Germany and just swap over all the bits you want. I am sure I can find one for you at a reasonable price. Let me know if I can help. PM you with my phone number.
Cheers,
jdh
PFF
System Bot
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dude, so sorry! And in Germany too,

-MH
Tweeter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweeterSend a Private Message to TweeterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Jason,
Just saw this one....holy cow! Sorry to hear about it. Glad you are okay. Everything else is secondary to me. Now, where do I need to ship a whole new frame to? Just FYI: there is a stripped 85GT here with no motor or interior but all the bits you should need and pristine frame. My suggestion would be just to have another GT sent over to Germany and just swap over all the bits you want. I am sure I can find one for you at a reasonable price. Let me know if I can help. PM you with my phone number.
Cheers,
jdh

TY john.
Im going to have it towed home tomorrow and tear down the front and see how much needs replaced.

Worst case if i cant get it fixed here. I'll just ship the car back to the states. and let it sit im my parents garage.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me know. More than happy to start gathering parts for you if need be.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carcenomy:

Oh it won't have absorbed ALL of it, but enough that it won't be severe structural damage. Hell I'm restoring an '86 that has more damage than that, it's just what you do when you're not somewhere easy for spares

Maybe in New Zealand the OP's Fiero would be worthwhile fixing, but in North America (and apparently in Germany)... looks like it isn't. That's too bad.
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2012 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It can be repaied. This one found a tree as well at 40mph + in 2001.

Last driven yesterday!

[This message has been edited by Indiana_resto_guy (edited 11-29-2012).]

mkiker2089

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2012 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't 9.5k seem too high? Are the body panels that expensive over there? New or used parts also?
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2012 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I missed the body shop estimate. Ouch!!
I'm still willing to help in anyway possible.
Tweeter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2012 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweeterSend a Private Message to TweeterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
w

[This message has been edited by Tweeter (edited 07-14-2018).]

mkiker2089

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2012 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see, insurance over there is the same as over here. The shop doesn't want to do it so they give a high quote. Then they win by not having to do it or by getting paid an insane amount. Insurance is always other until you need it
Tweeter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweeterSend a Private Message to TweeterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
m

PFF
System Bot
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
now that the hood is off and you have a clear view of everything its really not that bad. i could have that fixed in a week working on it 4 hours a day. dont worry bub your car will be just fine
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that thing.... Supercharged???

That looks like a front mount heat exchanger...

------------------

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are quite some spareparts / complete Fiero's available in the Netherlands, some can be found here: http://www.marktplaats.nl/z...iero&categoryId=2600

There is a fastback for sale for only 950 euros, it could be a perfect donor !

On the dutch Fiero Forum several parts can be found too..
Good luck
mkiker2089

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cringe every time I hear "donor" because donor = one less Fiero that can be fixed and enjoyed. That 950 Fiero looks pretty straight actually. It would be a good project on it's own.

Are used parts the only option? There's no Certifit equivalent over there?

[This message has been edited by mkiker2089 (edited 12-03-2012).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well the word "donor" is used in the add.

Personally I would strip the damaged Fiero and move the good parts over...... Actually I had a simmilar situation about 10 years ago but that tree did more damage (beyond repair)
Anyway many parts can be found closer to germany and shipping from/to the US is expensive. Many owners around here stack spares. I dont have front bodyparts or frameparts anymore but I do have several smaller items. Btw a $9500 quote doesnt sound too bad, most insurance companies will write it off if the damage is over say 4000-5000

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That doesn't look bad at all! If you can find a shop that does frame repair/ frame pulling, they should be able to fix that.
mkiker2089

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it were me I'd fix up the donor car and get fiberglass body panels for the original. Maybe even a modest custom. I'm being optimistic however. We all have budgets to consider.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 04:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

That doesn't look bad at all! If you can find a shop that does frame repair/ frame pulling, they should be able to fix that.

That's what I've been saying, it's not beyond repair. Maybe beyond budget, but not beyond repair.
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2013 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is old. what happened to the car?
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump Nice looking Blue car. I bet it is hard getting parts in Germany.
PFF
System Bot
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChuckLS1:

Does not have to be an "approved body shop", you can take it to the shop of your choice. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

...in America yes. Do we know for sure in Germany?
Tweeter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweeterSend a Private Message to TweeterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Order Parts!

That is all.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Given no replies in nearly three years, I'm going with 'shelved project'.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carcenomy:

Given no replies in nearly three years, I'm going with 'shelved project'.

I suspect Tweeter's last post (just before yours) actually meant he had ordered parts. The project is alive again (I think).
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 05:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope so. At least his looks somewhat more repairable than mine - his floor and roof are still in the right places
Tweeter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweeterSend a Private Message to TweeterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Correct. I'm working in a new job that I can take more time off and I was unable to find a shipping company that would ship my Fiero in its current condition.
So I have to fix it here.

I'm thinking temp fiberglass repair on the hood then vinyl wrap it.
Tweeter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweeterSend a Private Message to TweeterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tweeter

253 posts
Member since Nov 2011
i

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am concerned about the car running, with the radiator obviously utterly useless. When you get in and rev the car, it shows no temperature reading at all on the gauge, the same way that it would read if it had no water in the system to get a reading from. I hope there is something we can not tell from the video, if not, be careful, as you will crack a head in no time otherwise....

I am sorry to see the car in this condition, as you can tell it was a really well kept and nice Fiero before the accident. I do hope you are able to get her back to 100% again.
Tweeter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweeterSend a Private Message to TweeterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually the radiator only leaks at the cap (plastic is cracked), but yes I only leave it running for 2-3 mins. I normally start it once a month and move it a few feet.
It was only running for 1 minute before I started taking the video.

[This message has been edited by Tweeter (edited 06-20-2015).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock