Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Monsoon radio lcd stop working? Here is how to fix it!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Monsoon radio lcd stop working? Here is how to fix it! by AADrcw
Started on: 05-14-2012 08:38 PM
Replies: 18 (4578 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 09-07-2020 12:59 PM
AADrcw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AADrcwSend a Private Message to AADrcwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a common problem on the Delco Monsoon radios, One day you go out and turn on your car, your radio starts playing but the screen is still black. Most people automatically assume that the screen went out and trash the radio. 99% of the time the real problem is the bulb behind the screen burns out.

After having one in my car burn out and a friends I decided to take one apart and see if it is fixable, I found out that it is very easy to do and takes around 15 minutes. I have done several of these radios since and have had no problems at all with any of them since. Keep in mind this will only fix radios that the screen does not light up, the ones that display random jibberish is a completely different problem.

The radio I am using to make this write up has already been fixed but I did not have any with the factory bulb to demonstrate with.

Ok before we start I want to make it clear you are doing this on your own and if you mess anything up it is not my fault and I am not liable for any damages.

Step 1) Remove the radio from your car

Step 2) Start by popping loose all the tabs that are circled in the following pictures. The best way to do it is to start with one and slowly work your way around till they are all loose

As you pop them loose gently pull outward like this

Step 3) Once all the tabs are loose pull the face plate out from the radio, There will be a ribbon wire connecting to the internals of the radio so be carefull with that

Step 4) locate the bulb and socket behind the screen and see if you can see the broken filament in the bulb

This is the socket from the top

Step 5) Twist the socket counter clockwise to remove it from the board. (note: you may need some needle nose pliers to turn it, Sometimes it is easy to turn other times they can be a total pain)

Step 6) Once you have the bulb and socket out you will have the remove the factory solder holding the bad bulb in. (as I said above this radio has already been fixed so I can't show the solder) You will need to remove the solder from the small silver tabs. I used a small pick to do it.

Step 6) Take your new bulb and fold the wires down straight out like this. ( Sorry but I cannot give a exact bulb number as I do not know, I have several small bulbs left over from another project and they worked perfectly, Pretty much if the bulb is a automotive bulb and will fit in the socket your good to go)

Step 7) Insert the bulb into the socket through the small holes made for them.

Step 8) Bend the wires from the bulb back onto the tabs, I have never resoldered any of the ones I have done and they have been fine, You can resolder them if you would like.

Installation is reverse of what you have just done. Snap it all back together and plug it up and your good to go.

This is the first write up I have ever done so I hope it helps at least one person. If Its hard to read or anything like that comments and suggestions welcome.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice writeup. Easier than I thought it wouild be.

Spoon
------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 05-14-2012).]

kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
real good I give it an A+ Did not know you could fix that , just thought the radio was trash.
thanks have to keep this one for future referance, nothing lasts forever so I will need it again.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can buy the bulb from GM (or at least you could back in 2005), I got a UP3 radio for like $45 because the display didn't work.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050818-2-063070.html

GM part # 16208443
DRWBRTq19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRWBRTq19Send a Private Message to DRWBRTq19Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That bulb looks like it's a 74 to me. Same one used in the ashtrays IIRC.

Drew
AADrcw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AADrcwSend a Private Message to AADrcwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting the part number to the factory one, I haven't fixed one of these in a while but the one I used to take the pictures I believe was a 74. I pulled that one back apart just to do this write up. The 74 does work well and you can't tell a difference from the factory one as far as lighting is concerned.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now if someone would only post how to fix the CD player... ;-)
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks to the OP for this helpful thread.

I was going to add that this repair applies to similar Delco radios that are not "Monsoon" versions... and then I realized that the radio used by the OP isn't even a Monsoon version itself (so I'm not sure of the reason for the "Monsoon" designation in the topic heading).

This is a Monsoon version of the same radio...

Monsoon FAQ can be found HERE, but in regards to the repair covered in this thread, no difference I suspect.

One question I do have though... I have seen tutorials online which show the small bulbs which illuminate the controls being replaced with LEDs. I have yet to see it demonstrated that an LED can be used to replace this particular bulb which illuminates the LCD display. Is it possible, and if not... why not?
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a few for sale on Amazon.com that already have the socket attached...just pull the old one out, and put the new one in.
GM UP3 Radio Bulbs
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd:

There are a few for sale on Amazon.com that already have the socket attached...just pull the old one out, and put the new one in.

Does it have a gold filament? The ridiculous price of that bulb is one of the reasons why I was wondering about the availability of an LED replacement.

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Several bulbs are same format.
74 is rated at 500 Hrs Life.
73 is dimmer but gets 15000 Hrs
37 is middle... a bit brighter then 73 and 1500 Hrs.

I would try 73 or 37, not 74 because of Hrs life.

See my Cave, Lighbulbs

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Several bulbs are same format...

Ogre, no insight on my question?

Originally posted by Patrick:

I have yet to see it demonstrated that an LED can be used to replace this particular bulb which illuminates the LCD display. Is it possible, and if not... why not?

Fiero Tom

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero TomSend a Private Message to Fiero TomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy the bulbs here RockAuto ACDELCO Part # 16208443 ....... $5.01
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My radio has something different. Sometimes the display show only some lines instead of a complete display. Anyone know what the problem coould be?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
One question I do have though... I have seen tutorials online which show the small bulbs which illuminate the controls being replaced with LEDs. I have yet to see it demonstrated that an LED can be used to replace this particular bulb which illuminates the LCD display. Is it possible, and if not... why not?

I have to see how works inside to uniform light display. many ways to have back lighting for LCD.
Three main issues I think are:
1. Normal bulbs are dimmed more easily.
LED in Radio that need normal light bulb would have same problems for LED in dash... Most won't like or hate GM and others dimmer circuit.

2. Normal bulb lights all ways w/o added diffuser.
LED as back light w/o diffuser can make one section of LCD bright and other areas dim to dark. (LED Back lights for phones TV etc uses diffusers and/or "light pipes.")
Find right LED that light same could be hard.

3. Color Match... Same problem in LED poisoning.
Say use white LED... White LED depends how their made. In General, White LED are not same spectrograph as normal bulbs and can have drop outs and still looks white to your eye. As back light, white light can be very bright but is weak at LCD filter color then little to nothing will show thru the LCD. (Quick example... youtube, Some reviews of Cree etc 120vac units have spectrograph as part of video.)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-04-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32246 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by notwohorns:
My radio has something different. Sometimes the display show only some lines instead of a complete display. Anyone know what the problem coould be?

Very different problem...
Most likely LCD Driver IC have a bad connection to LCD.

DIY can fix? Maybe. Depend exactly is wrong w/ the unit. If you play around then is easy to do more damage.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It appears that the subminiature bulb used for the ash trays and the auto shifter indicator would work fine if you just carefully straightened the leads. You can probably buy those bulbs for a buck.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Tom:

Buy the bulbs here RockAuto ACDELCO Part # 16208443 ....... $5.01

Plus $14.01 to ship that little piddley thing to Canada. ($2.23 within the US.)

I just don't understand RockAuto.

By the way Ogre, thanks for the info on the LEDs. Quite informative.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-05-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2020 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These bulbs are discontinued and getting harder to find old stock.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DI...-2-NEW-/114260366465

These things have a unique socket base

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-07-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock