The 88 SuperDuty Build by DarcyJL
Started on: 03-21-2012 02:15 PM
Replies: 42 (2185 views)
Last post by: Josh52894 on 03-05-2014 10:54 AM
DarcyJL

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So hello to all that don’t know me and hello to everyone that I have been bugging relentlessly the past few months.
My name is Darcy and im from Saskatoon Canada, im new the the SuperDuty4 Racing Engine, but not new to fieros.

I figured I would start a build thread as I have never really shared my vehicles with other people, and the new parts are starting to pile up so here I go.

Ill start with the car, an 1988 Fiero GT Fastback , 5speed, original red with grey int.(now black/black).
231,000kms
Custom behind the seat sub boxes (very large lots of fiberglass) looks proffesional, might have been show worthy at one point.
And dumb modifications from the previous non-fiero fan owners.
Reinforced sturt towers in the rear.
This car has had a hard life, riden rough and put away wet, but thats all about to change.

So the build starts with a journey to pick up the car, 250kms and 200 bucks in fuel and the fiero was home. I traded it for a 99 Tacoma with 357000kms.

My plans in order:
Build a SuperDuty 2.7l (2v) running 11.0:1 compression and swap it in.
Then rip the car apart again and repaint/completely restore and do some small rust repairs, and smaller details in engine bay / trunk etc.
Then int. work
Then final mods and touch ups.

Here is where I am right now:

The Car

Ext.

Sub Box which is for sale:

The Motor Parts I have

[This message has been edited by DarcyJL (edited 03-20-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! Looking forward to this!

The connecting rods look like stock duke parts? The rods are a MAJOR failure point. What crank is that? Cams? Looks like the 10049801 Super Duty Four High Port Special Aluminum Cylinder Head? Have the block yet? KRP still makes the block if you don't have one yet, and have the money

http://www.kansasracingprod...Products/Prices.html

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 03-21-2012).]

DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 2 heads are 801's yes, that is a custom built crank 2.5l as for the rods they may be stock havent checked yet. I have paid for one block and put a deposit on another however i will wait to post details and info on them until both transactions are completed, the deals originated from PFF though.

However i will say i am going to build one as a fuel injected race motor, and one will be a weber'd street motor. An Indy is the next fiero for me and it will probably get the FI Race motor (Long ways away.)

For now my biggest question to everyone is , What do you think the staggered rims will look like with all black centers with chrome lips on the original red paint.

Vin # on my 88 is 1g2pg1195jp203864 or 846 cant remeber right now but im ordering the entire option list from GM as the RPO codes have been worn off lang ago.

Any info/suggestions are more than welcome.

DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DarcyJL

109 posts
Member since Jan 2012
Oh and a KRP block would be nice, but going into this i said i wanted to use Pontiac parts only.

Also got the Build kit and Oil pump today as well, weber manifold and torque plate on the way.
Also im buying an ITB intake for the 2.8 right now for later in life when the SD4 becomes a display pieces and i want the 88 to go back to #'s Matching, but dont dwell on this as i am giving no info out.

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DarcyJL
The Car

Ext.

Sub Box which is for sale:

The Motor Parts I have

Fixed it because people don't like clicking a bunch of stuff to see pictures. To post pictures here copy the [IMG] code on photobucket.

Brad
DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks i was wondering the process to get them to pop up.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DarcyJL:

Thanks i was wondering the process to get them to pop up.

If you ever wonder how someone does something you can click the "EDIT" button on their post and you will be able to see the code they used.

It won't let you edit their post, because it's not yours. But you can look. I subscribed to this thread, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Brad
DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh here is the rims im using

17" Riverside Zepter Staggered Rims

17x11 rear
17x9 front

http://s80.photobucket.com/...view¤t=skylizze.jpg

Still cant get it i guess so here is the link

[This message has been edited by DarcyJL (edited 03-21-2012).]

DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DarcyJL

109 posts
Member since Jan 2012
As well i might mention, i am thinking about putting the fie-air-o twin over the roof scoops onto the car(i have a set already), havent decided, aswell i have an old Custom fiero front emblem(unused) that i have had for years that im thinking about using.

Pics to come soon. I would like to find where the emblem came from as it is really nice.
DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DarcyJL

109 posts
Member since Jan 2012

here it is and a shifter knob, my knob is for sale if anyone wants it , hahaha.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The emblems were made by F-I-E-R-O (Andrew) years ago

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-1-062841.html
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool project!

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks i cant wait till its done, but half the fun is building the car so i also look forward to the next 5 years or so. HAHA.

Im also looking for ideas on exhaust for the car, im thinking a remus or borla muffler will sound good behind the car, what are your thoughts.???

Ideas are more than welcome i just need to grab some adapters and test fit my rims, i feel the front may rub a bit lol.

Thanks again for the welcoming comments.
FieroUte

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2012 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroUteSend a Private Message to FieroUteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not trying to hijack your build thread, but are those newer emblems still being made? They are so cool
DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2012 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure man they are very nice tho, and very good quality, the shifter knob and emblem came with the first fiero i ever owned.
Myrick813

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2012 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Myrick813Send a Private Message to Myrick813Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dose anyone know where to get one of those front emblems like that? I kinda like it.....
DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2012 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if they make them anymore man.
DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2012 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DarcyJL

109 posts
Member since Jan 2012
Ok now that i got my thread back, i am also going to be adding the Orphan 8" Sub that i have, I would like to make a foot well box as my gf is fairly short so that is not a problem. Pics soon.
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a nice build thread. Just wondering about your rocker arms, what brand,ratio and part # ? Been looking for some Jesel 1.6 but not for sure on the part number. This would be on my 3.0L build

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

[This message has been edited by Lilchief (edited 03-25-2012).]

DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2012 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well all the rockers are jessel, i have 21 total, 8 1.6 ratio, and 13 1.55 ratio.

If you do a google shopping search there sets for some pretty hefty prices, i was lucky to get them almost new for cheap.

Anyways back to my build , i went and picked up some parts today finally, they have been in storage since 05!!!

Scoops Anyone???, you may pm an offer but i dont really want to sell them, however its now or never.

I will be getting the block next and maybe the intake manifold aswell.

[This message has been edited by DarcyJL (edited 03-27-2012).]

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2012 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not trying to be a smartass, but what do these scoops do? Heat rises, so hot air is supposed to be vented through the 2 factory vents. Don't these scoops push the warm air back into the engine bay?

Just wondering..
PFF
System Bot
DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2012 05:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes this is true, ok people pm me if you need answers please stop jacking my build thread i would like it to be clean for the future reader. Im glad to answer all questions but there is no point in 3 pages of non sense. It is a build thread after all.
DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright, many months later most parts are here for the build, now im contemplating what i want to build a Falconer V6 or SD4, what are your opinions.???

Just a little teaser, not sure if they ran boost to the common plenum but i think im going to run it N/A.
I got Falconer Ported Heads the forged Falconer Rods and the Falconer intake and custom made plenums.

More pics to come,

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I vote SD4
GreenPlatypus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GreenPlatypusSend a Private Message to GreenPlatypusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that falconer intake is awesome. only seen pictures of one other one

[This message has been edited by GreenPlatypus (edited 10-28-2012).]

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Falconer FTW!

------------------
there's a Group on 60degreeV6.com for us 660 Fiero owners!

Fiero Owner's group on 60degreeV6.com

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well the 88 i want to build the falconer for is a T-top, my car is not so i think i will do the SD4 Swap first and use the v6 from that car to build the Falconer o the motor is ready to put in once i find a nice 88 T-Top 5 speed. Still would like an indy for the SD4 though.
DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Deposit sent away for the newest addition to the family,

1984 Indy Fiero ;

And this arrived today, for $40 from BC i figured it was a deal;

DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DarcyJL

109 posts
Member since Jan 2012
First things on the 88GT agenda is repair the strut towers, they were reinforced or repaired for some reason, welds all look good but i would like to put it all back to stock as soon as i can find some replacement strut towers, whats everyones opinions on these bad boys;

Then i think i will source a T-top swap package as the prices on 88 T-tops in Canada are crazy, and thats if you can find one.

DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DarcyJL

109 posts
Member since Jan 2012
Can someone move this to Construction Zone, is that possible?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff Pennock does that. Make it good and he will comply...
PFF
System Bot
DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HaHa, sounds good, might take a while to start getting started, in the parts collecting stage for now.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Myrick813:

Dose anyone know where to get one of those front emblems like that? I kinda like it.....

Last time I checked, Paul at fierosails.com was making those emblems, with the original artist's permission. But that was several years ago. Things might have changed. But it's worth a look.
DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Figured i would throw one of 2 SD4 blocks up aswell, this is a used block, dirty but i havent had a chance to clean it up so it will look better than it does now.

Actually now that i think about it it used to belong in the IMSA Replica now owned by PontiacKid i beleive, Its from a yellow IMSA either way.
DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2013 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well as the parts collection continues I have picked up a few new jems, unfortunately my wife and I just purchased a house so the build will be on pause for a while but here are my latest parts I have bought.

Brand new SD4 Block, never even left the original crate,

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Large load of parts with the real Jems being the Pontiac SD Intake and the crank, numbers are worn of of crank so I have to do some digging as to which one it is,

There you go hopefully this hold people over for a while.

[This message has been edited by DarcyJL (edited 06-11-2013).]

DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2013 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Self Bump because I want help identifying the Crank and Intake,

I figure the intake is Pontiac Part # 10031330 (Super Duty Intake Manifold "Racing")
The crank looks mighty similar to Fierosound's but who really knows I need to figure this out.

Come on Fierosound im calling you out hahaha.
DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2013 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DarcyJL

109 posts
Member since Jan 2012
Well did a rough measure and im getting roughly 3.50 so now I don't know if its a 2.7 or 3.0, I have a 2.7 though and they look nothing alike so who really knows at this point.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2013 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There were several SD4 cranks available for displacements from 2.0 to 3.3L
(with 4.000" bore) so engine could be used in many racing classes.

PN 10042835 2.600" stroke - 2.0L
PN 10027778 3.000" stroke - 2.5L
PN 10027779 3.250" stroke - 2.7L
PN 10093312 3.625" stroke - 3.0L
PN 10041860 3.9375" stroke - 3.3L

The intake looks like a Kinsler manifold. Fits the 437 and 801 cylinder head.
Scroll down this page http://www.kinsler.com/page--GM--17.html
DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2013 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I didn't think it was a kinsler but now im googling pictures it definitely is and as for the crank I guess a good measure is in order as the numbers have been ground off.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2013 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the Kinsler intake is intended to be used with the engine tilted 23 degrees - and the stacks are then vertical.
This then necessitates additional oiling on top of the head (a rail of some type) and a dry sump system.
I'm sure I saw information on this in the SD4 Guide.

Not sure how transmission alignment is affected. Not even sure if engine fits in Fiero engine bay that way.

... or never mind. Probably doesn't make a difference.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-1-078841.html

PS - it's really hard to find SD4 stuff. It seems that a lot of what comes up ties back to my Indy thread.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-13-2013).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock