lizardo Build by Mikitcarman
Started on: 08-27-2011 09:50 PM
Replies: 123 (11080 views)
Last post by: Drewbdo on 08-04-2016 11:17 AM
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
has this project been abandoned? I hope another good Fiero wasn't cut up, just to become another unfinished project.
IP: Logged
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so far to my knowledge, this is the 3rd kit. the silver prototype has a SC3800 , and the second (yellow and black) is getting painetd with a pink flake clear coat?

I am intrested to see this. although Ive seen the first two get built up when the prototype had plug molds.

Its interesting. I will be watching. and please finish the project. lol.
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2012 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates on this?
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2012 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just spoke to CJ. He had a few medical issues to take care of but will be posting some progress pics shortly.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump to see if this build is still on-going.

Nolan
deezil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well how is it coming??!!!
Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Everyone, lets get back to the build
Here's just a few small things I ran into during the assembly process.
I thought that it may be more important to give you some of the details, rather than just the big items.

Old Radio Antenna lead to fender assembly, I'm not sure what to do with this yet, maybe stub it out?
One of the local guys told me to mount a small fiber antenna inside the fender.

This is the gas filler line that has to be extended to the new fender panel.
The wire is a ground strap for static electricity when you fill the gas, it needs to stay in place.
My plan is to cut off the filler top and add a piece of flex line held in place with clamps to the new fender.

Door panel rods, one for lock and one for door handle.

My Lucky Black Dragon Fly on the Card Hood, wandered in and stayed all day...
It landed on four or five of the car body parts

[This message has been edited by Mikitcarman (edited 07-26-2013).]

Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wanted to relocate the battery, so I purchased a battery box from V8 Archie, It was easy to install.
I used painters tape to lay it out, this cuts easily. You have to work around the break line, it's just under the panel, so be careful not to cut it.
I strapped the line back to the new battery box with tie straps after installation.

This is the installation layout on the car panel 10" wide by 11" tall.
Hint: I measured the 10" cut between the break line mounts

They include good instructions on a CD, the unit is not pre-drilled for mounting.
I installed 4 screws on each of the four sides with self locking nuts (12 screws)

I used 1/4" x 3/4" bolts with fender washers to add strength.
I picked up #2 wire for the new battery cable wires.

I sprayed rustproofing on the steel that I welded on the frame along with any cut open edges

[This message has been edited by Mikitcarman (edited 08-13-2013).]

Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mikitcarman

54 posts
Member since Aug 2011
Someone asked for pics farther away from the car with no body.

Front pic, I have already started masking the car off for priming

Rear View, you can see factory inner fender wells are still installed.
New fender well extensions are included with the kit and mount directly to the factory pieces.
Overlap the factory wells so you don't see the exposed edge.

Side view, I also rustproofed any chassis areas that looked a little scratched.

[This message has been edited by Mikitcarman (edited 07-07-2013).]

Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mikitcarman

54 posts
Member since Aug 2011
Front Hood

To mount the new hood you use the factory hinges. You can adjust the bottom of the hinge left to right and up and down.
I purchased SS 1 3/4" Bolts to attach the hood to the brackets.

This is the factory hood support bracket, I used the factory screws to reattach.

PFF
System Bot
Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mikitcarman

54 posts
Member since Aug 2011
Prepping body panels
I used 3m red the green body filler to touch up and body imperfections.
With two colors it was easier to see the fill spots before I sprayed on the primer.

Rear Body Panel

Front clip

Rear Bumper Panel, first coat of white sealer before the 2k buff primer was sprayed

I used 220 to dry sand and 320 to wet sand

[This message has been edited by Mikitcarman (edited 08-18-2013).]

Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Preparing for the Summer Car Shows

This is a Hat I had made to match the car, I’ll have to work on a T-Shirt next.

If you haven't guessed, I'm painting the car Yellow and black.

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool! I don't know if you have followed my thread or not but here is an idea for black and yellow I was playing around with

------------------

Love The Excitement! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mikitcarman:

Old Radio Antenna lead to fender assembly, I'm not sure what to do with this yet, maybe stub it out?
One of the local guys told me to mount a small fiber antenna inside the fender.

On my stock Fiero I relocated the stock antenna to inside the fender. If you turn the bracket 90 degrees to the frame rail you can run the antenna alongside the fender. Then it's just a matter of using some flat bar stock to make a bracket to hold the top of the antenna in place. I know that with the Lizardo you lose some of the front frame rail when you have to cut it for clearance, so yes you may look into getting some sort of shorter antenna if you're wishing to keep the antenna without it being visible.
Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
85SEnochie I like your Basic Yellow and Black Layout. I was staring out with this......

I was given this toy car for my birthday, it thought it was a nice design.
I'm trying to do something with this layout so the stripes will work on the car and stay within the upper and lower body lines.
It may be to much stripping?

[This message has been edited by Mikitcarman (edited 07-08-2013).]

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

85SEnochie I like your Basic Yellow and Black Layout. I was staring out with this......

I was given this toy car for my birthday, it thought it was a nice design.
I'm trying to do something with this layout so the stripes will work on the car and stay within the upper and lower body lines.
It may be to much stripping?

Something like this?

------------------

Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
85SEnochie that is fantastic, nice work!!! Thank You.

Well, what do you think, is it to much

[This message has been edited by Mikitcarman (edited 07-11-2013).]

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

85SEnochie that is fantastic, nice work!!! Thank You.

Well, what do you think, is it to much

You are welcome! If that's what you want that's what matters most it's your dream not mine anything that breaks up the side is good so that it does not look so much like a brick from the side Don't get me wrong I think the Liz it is a sweet ride but from the direct side angle it looks like a brick That is why I was breaking up the yellow in the first place and thought it looked cool too.

------------------

Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rear Window

The back fiberglass extends over the rear glass panel on the left and right side about 8"
I masked off the car and sprayed the glass so that you cannot see back into the fender area from inside the car.

I used tape along the edge of the fiberglass when the rear panels were in place.
I tried different methods to cover this, but the high gloss black paint on the glass looked the best.
Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mikitcarman

54 posts
Member since Aug 2011
The next part of the process is to take all the parts on the car and pre-fit the entire body. Aligning all the spaces and all the parts so they flow as a nicely built car.
Then I used black Automotive #10 - 3/4" and 1" screws to secure the panels down,

[This message has been edited by Mikitcarman (edited 09-04-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are the tires and wheels that I picked out.

These are based on Mustang rims so that the spacing is correct for my 2" spacers
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good, thanks for keeping us to date on this one!
Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Body Pic Time

Initial view of body panels setting in place

The new tires are a little wider than the originals!

Starting to look like a car!!

You can see that the door panel is not perfectly lined up, I'm changing the inside top of the fender panel to correct the front of the door.

Now it's time to make fun of my old style spoiler
I'm building the spoiler to look like the raised lift design type, I just like the way this style profiles on the car.....
I took this picture to check if the height is correct, It looks to clear the deck - just right.

The double chrome tale pipes have to go, the pipes will come through the two fender ports when its done.

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NICE! looking good thanks for keeping us up to date on your Liz.

------------------

Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple of repair areas to match panels
Any body kit has to be matched up to the car, this kit actually lined very good with little repairs.
This is my third kit and I was having fun with alignment.
If your going to build it yourself, I recommend to pay the extra to the guys at Fiero Fiberglass and get the panels pre-drilled.
It will save you a lot of time and effort.

I had a 3/8" gap to the window trim, I filled with Fiber-tec.

Lines look ok, spacing is better.

The right side of the hood didn't match, so I filled it. After setting all the other panels, it was easier to fix it than try moving it again.

[This message has been edited by Mikitcarman (edited 08-13-2013).]

Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess it's time to talk about the electrical
This information can be found other places in the forum, so this is basic info

The kit comes with new tail lights, side lights, front head lights and turn signals.
There is some left over wires, so I'm going to hook up some LED parking lights under the car.

Rear Drivers Side:
Driving Lights - Brown/Black
Break Lights - Lt Blue/Black
Left Turn - Yellow/Black
Backup Lights - Light Green/Black
Running Lights - Brown with White/Black

Rear Passenger Side:
Driving Lights - Brown/Black
Break Lights - Lt Blue/Black
Right Turn - Green/Black
Backup Lights - Light Green/Black
Running Lights - Brown with White/Black

Front Driver Side:
Head Lights - Light Green/Black for Hi Beam, Tan/Black for Low Beam
Turn Signal - Dark Blue/Black
Running Lights - Brown/Black

Front Passenger Side:
Head Lights - Light Green/Black for Hi Beam, Tan/Black for Low Beam
Turn Signal - Light Blue/Black
Running Lights - Brown/Black

The pictured lights came with the kit, they have a 5 color LED ring - Blue

Yellow to match the car

Red, you get the picture

I wired them up so the Led's come on with the low beam and the center Bulbs come on with the high beams.
I detached the black and white from center bulb and connect them to the head light connector, the controller only changes the LED to the five different colors

[This message has been edited by Mikitcarman (edited 09-05-2013).]

Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mikitcarman

54 posts
Member since Aug 2011

This is "Buff" primer on the body
Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sprayed the original Fiero body parts with sealer before I primed.

Dupont White 2K lacquer sealer
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your teasing us with this 1 picture a week posts. LOL
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My Lucky Black Dragon Fly on the Card Hood, wandered in and stayed all day...
It landed on four or five of the car body parts

Its a sign man, now you need to paint a small dragon fly somewhere on the car!

PFF
System Bot
Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Painted Panels

To paint the finish colors I purchased an Eastwood Concours HVLP spray gun with 1.2, 1.4, 1.8 tips
Have to say that this gun operates at low CMF and is easy to use, I recommend this spray gun for any level of car builder.
The Teflon paint cup liner makes this gun fast and easy to clean.
The 1.8 tip is for the primer a 2K urethane Buff, the 1.4 tip is for the urethane Yellow and black and the 1.2 tip is for the clear.

Front clip bottom panel

Under door panels

Main Body

Front Hood before the black was added.

Trunk Lid

You may be asking why there is a big hole in the trunk?

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, why is there a big hole in the trunk?
CommanderKeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!
Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for asking! It's the escape hatch-- LOL

I'm adding a black glass panel over the engine.... It should add a little style.

This will go nicely with my Black accents, I also have some LED strips to back-light the area at night.

The trunk with the window sealed in it, I used black silicone so that it will have a dark edge when you look in the engine area from the outside of the car.

[This message has been edited by Mikitcarman (edited 08-26-2013).]

Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mikitcarman

54 posts
Member since Aug 2011

This is a closeup of the car top, I epoxied and smoothed out the roof seam.

[This message has been edited by Mikitcarman (edited 08-14-2013).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rear Window

I masked off the car and sprayed the glass so that you cannot see back into the fender area from inside the car.

In time you may find that the paint will start to crack or peel away, unless you scuffed the window surface or used an etching paint. If you still have acess to the area, you could use several layers of limousine window tint. The darkest you can get. Or somewhere down the road if the paint does start to crack or peel, just apply a layer or two on the inside of the rear window, cut to size to fit that area.

I love 86SEnochie's first color layout and also the last one with the stripes, but for my taste, I'd go with the chrome wheels instead of the black and yellow.

dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you use PPG K36 as a base on the glass it wont come off. its a etching primer and will not come off glass.
Mikitcarman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikitcarmanSend a Private Message to MikitcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys, thanks for the helpful feedback. I don't want to paint to come off. So I'll take off the paint and respray with etching primer.

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just remember that whatever color you spray down onto the glass, that is the color you will see from the inside of the car. If you spray a Black etching primer as the base then there is no need to even spray paint on top of it cause you won't see it from the outside of the car anyway. The inside will appear to be gloss cause of the glass.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock