Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  New engine swap, 4.9 V8 to a 2.0 4 cylinder (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
New engine swap, 4.9 V8 to a 2.0 4 cylinder by FieroMaster88
Started on: 07-08-2011 07:02 PM
Replies: 337 (17771 views)
Last post by: FieroMaster88 on 06-16-2020 11:02 PM
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Filled up with premium on the way home today. I've averaged 20.8 MPG the last 2 fill ups. It would probably help if I wasn't so aggressive with my acceleration but what fun would that be? I'm still doing better than I did with the 4.9.

I still have to get the wet side of the intercooler installed. Trying to figure out where I want to install the pump and if I want to run a tank.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 08-03-2012).]

IP: Logged
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the W2A 99.9% complete today. I mounted the radiator behind the side scoop on the drivers side. I cut some slits in the plastic fender liner for air movement and have the fan mounted on the radiator so it can pull air in from the side scoop and out through the slits in the fender liner. If this setup doesn't seem to work good I will move the radiator up front and run lines back. I want to see how effective this is first. I mounted the pump behind the heat shield on the left side of the firewall. I ran the hoses from the pump to the radiator to the heat exchanger and installed the inline filler. I filled the system with fluid, wired up the pump and started the car. Everything is working great with no leaks. I still need to wire the small fan on the radiator for the w2a setup, I ran out of time at work. Here are some crappy Iphone pictures:
Pump Mounted:

Plumbing ran:

Radiator/fan behind the side scoop:

Vent slits in the inner fender:

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroMaster88

7680 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Forgot to add that I bumped the boost up from 7psi to 8-9psi. It's not a rocket ship but it is much quicker than the 4.9L was. I'm very happy with this engine swap.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. Just see how it runs and then determine if you want or need to add more capacity to your system. It will need a good thrash to see if it heatsoaks.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 08-05-2012).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an engine mount break today. I need to make a stronger mount. It's the part I did not redo that broke.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I repaired and strengthened the mount this morning. I've also made some brackets and will be adding a dog bone/torque strut. Im thinking that will releave the stress on the mounts during heavy acceleration. I'll get this stuff installed after work. The car is on jack stands at home.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroMaster88

7680 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Got the mount installed. I need to weld the bracket for the torque strut. I'll do that after work tomorrow.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure you prime the system well. You should have a pretty solid flow.. think garden hose w/o the end on.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, got the system all primed and bled of air. Works good with a ton of flow.

I got the engine mount reinstalled today. I also welded on the torque strut bracket and installed the torque strut. Took the car for a drive around the neighborhood, there is way less movement back there now. Feels better. I did a couple launches and the car took off good with no thumping from the mounts. I'll recheck everything after I drive it to work when I can get it up on a hoist.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd love to have a go in it. One of the swaps I always wanted to try. I never understood why it wasn't popular.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 08-09-2012).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My guess would be because there are not a ton of these engines out there. Really who knows? I think my next swap will be a 3500 v6 with a turbo. I'll have to find myself a bumper pad 85 for that swap.
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates? How did it turn out?
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mounts are good. Drives better and I don't get nervous on a hard launch. The charge air cooler seems to be working good too. I've been in contact with Ryan at Sinister Performance about getting it tuned. I might wait until spring to get that done. Got to save some $$. The money is going other places right now.
Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

Any pictures of your swap? Ecotec turbo?

Close, LE61 hybrid ecotec. I didn't want to post any engine pictures in your thread.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mounts are good. Drives better and I don't get nervous on a hard launch. The charge air cooler seems to be working good too. I've been in contact with Ryan at Sinister Performance about getting it tuned. I might wait until spring to get that done. Got to save some $$. The money is going other places right now.

Nice. So the big question is, was it worth converting to w2a?

NSAN1T

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NSAN1TSend a Private Message to NSAN1TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice Swap.

Sometime down the road I'll be doing the same swap.. well.. sorta... My Redline is the Ecotec 2.0 SC version..

------------------
2005 Saturn ION Redline

Machinist at Texas Engine Machine, Llano, Tx.

[This message has been edited by NSAN1T (edited 08-21-2012).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was worth it. Once it's tuned it will be well worth it.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I replaced the leaking axle seals and repaired a ground that had come loose. I checked all the fluids while I was at it. I also installed new front LED turn signal bulbs. Won't be long and it will be parked for the winter.

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroMaster88

7680 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Forgot to add that I filled up the tank on the way to work this morning. Averaged 20.6 on the last tank. That is 90% city driving. I need to take it on a trip to see what it gets for highway mileage. Maybe I'll take it to Schaumburg Il. when I go for work next month.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spent some time today modifying the rear engine mount. The engine does not move and does not need a dogbone now.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cleaned the car and put it away for the winter. I already miss driving it. I hope to make it to a few shows next year and to see what it does in the quarter mile. I have no real plans for work to do on it over the winter. Pretty much have it where I want it now. I'll get it tuned in the spring.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 11-25-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
jasonfox

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-26-2012 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonfoxSend a Private Message to jasonfoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kudos on one of the nicest looking swaps I've seen!

I'd love to see what progressive water/methanol 50/50 would do for your HP.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2012 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Filled up with premium on the way home today. I've averaged 20.8 MPG the last 2 fill ups. It would probably help if I wasn't so aggressive with my acceleration but what fun would that be? I'm still doing better than I did with the 4.9.

OK, I just spotted this thread and was kind of impressed with what I was reading until I came upon this. So, you're telling us that you got 20.8 mpg and that's better than what you got with a 4.9? My goodness, that's horrible fuel mileage. I no longer drive a 4.9 but, when I did, I always got well above that mpg number. Scrabblegod and I both went to a car show down in TN once a few years ago. We both had 4.9s at that time. We drove between 75 and 80 mph the whole trip. We had both filled up in Lexington, KY at the same time for this trip. We both averaged right at 28 mpg for the trip. I don't believe I ever had a mixed city/highway fuel mileage lower than 25 mpg.

So, this conversion is only getting 20.8 mpg and that's better than the previous 4.9?. All I can say is wow. Of all of my Fieros, I don't have one that won't get at least 25 mpg in average daily driving. Honestly, I don't mean to be condemning this swap, I'm just very surprised at the low fuel mileage performance you're getting.

------------------
Ron
A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury.
So, what do ya think, are we there yet?

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's mostly how it's driven I'm sure. It's 11 miles one way to work on a congested stretch of highway. Then I just drive around town with a heavy foot. I'm sure if I was lighter on the accelerator it would do better. I have yet to take it on a long highway trip. It's also running pretty rich because it needs a tune. With my 4.9 the best I ever got was 22-23 mpg and that was a highway trip to a show. It was 14-15 mpg around town.
The 2.0 turbo sunbird was only rated at 18mpg in town and 28mpg highway.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 11-27-2012).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2012 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really miss driving the car. I have a few things to do to the car this winter. Maybe I'll start working on them and it will make me feel better. I also have to decide which Fiero to take to the 30'th anniversary show...

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 12-15-2012).]

rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shipped you the '88 Koni's, just looking at your thread, nice car !
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rourke_87_T-Top:

Shipped you the '88 Koni's, just looking at your thread, nice car !

Thanks! I'm excited to get the shocks.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2013 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2013 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice stance!! What rim and tire combination size are you running?

Today I replaced the leaking axle seals and repaired a ground that had come loose. I checked all the fluids while I was at it. I also installed new front LED turn signal bulbs. Won't be long and it will be parked for the winter.

carnut122

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice swap and car. I must have missed it; what's the weight difference in swaps and how much has the handling improved?

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 01-03-2013).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not really sure what the weight savings over the 4.9 was but I'm sure it was a good amount. Handling has improved a bunch, feels like it did when it had the stock 4 cylinder in it.

The wheels are 18"x7". I don't remember the offset. Tires are 225/45/18 front and 245/40/18 rear.
PFF
System Bot
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow looking at those pictures I would have guessed that the wheels were at LEAST 8" wide. They look nice and fit the car. I know some of you guys have really lowered the car how does it do over bumps etc? Can it go over a speed bump like that. Not knocking it, I love the looks and my 85GT will probably get a similar treatment soon. Love the 18's on a fiero might even go with 19's this time. The WHEELS really make a fiero IMHO the stock wheels are just too small and more modern wheels can fill those huge wheel wells a bit better. Nice car man..peace

Pete

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does good over bumps. Has KYB struts with coil overs in the rear. The front has Rodney dickman 1" lowering ball joints and fiero store lowering springs and KYB shocks. I have a set of koni's shocks on the way for the front to stiffen it up a little. I plan on getting some koni struts for the rear too.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2013 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
YAY!

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also ordered a boost controller and a fuel cut kit. I hope to run 12-15lbs of boost. I did some research and think I want to find a spare engine I can build. I want to get the head ported, ARP head studs, ARP rod bolt and some more fuel tuning stuff and try to get 250-275 HP out of this engine. I'm also going to get some tuning this spring once I get the boost where I want it.

I found this link and would love to try some of the stuff he has done with my engine: http://www.cardomain.com/ri...987-pontiac-sunbird/
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took advantage of the 50+ degree weather here in Michigan today and installed my boost controller and fuel cut defender. Dialed them in to 14-15psi. It now spins the tires when the boost comes in when in 1st and 2nd gear.

Forgot to add that I will be replacing the yellow vacuum line with black. Yellow is all I had at the house.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 01-12-2013).]

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I found this link and would love to try some of the stuff he has done with my engine: http://www.cardomain.com/ri...987-pontiac-sunbird/

24-25 psi?!? Nice. I hope you get to try some of that stuff too!
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little suspension progress today. Got the Koni shocks installed in the front. What a HUGE difference over the KYB's I had. The tires no longer rub around corners.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

And a shot of my 13" brakes by fieroguru!
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sent my Driven Visions tail light panel out to the body shop last week. I'm excited to install it and see how it looks on the car.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dude, you car is coming along nicely. You have something to be proud of for sure!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock