Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  New engine swap, 4.9 V8 to a 2.0 4 cylinder (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
New engine swap, 4.9 V8 to a 2.0 4 cylinder by FieroMaster88
Started on: 07-08-2011 07:02 PM
Replies: 337 (17774 views)
Last post by: FieroMaster88 on 06-16-2020 11:02 PM
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great! What wheels are you running?
IP: Logged
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post07-17-2011 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:
but the engine was built for AutoX and, IIRC, can handle up to 15psi reliably.

What exactly was done to the engine... differently than stock?
Rallaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by L67:

What exactly was done to the engine... differently than stock?

Fieroguy123 would have to answer that question, I just know I fell in love the first time I heard it run and poo'd when I got to drive it.

Edit:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/077640.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/077264.html

[This message has been edited by Rallaster (edited 07-17-2011).]

L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-17-2011 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok. I'll wait.
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-17-2011 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

L67

1792 posts
Member since Jun 2010

Originally posted by Rallaster:
Edit:

So just cryotreated connecting rods? The reason I ask, I'm getting ready to pep mine up a bit and was curious what had been done to this engine. Why'd he sell it?
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So just cryotreated connecting rods? The reason I ask, I'm getting ready to pep mine up a bit and was curious what had been done to this engine. Why'd he sell it?

He sold it to raise money to move his family from a dangerous situation.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Asking about the rods specifically: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/077640-2.html#p59

There are other things he's done to it within that post, but I don't think it's a comprehensive list by a long shot.

As far as him selling it, he needed to get his family out of a dangerous neighborhood that was going down the drain faster than anyone could keep up, and that was the only way to get it done in the time frame he had set for himself.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/057604.html << Mall thread he sold it in.

[This message has been edited by Rallaster (edited 07-18-2011).]

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No updates. Too hot to work on it this week.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2011 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A picture I took today as I cleaned it to put it away for the winter. I have an oil leak to find and a tune up to do in the spring. Also have new lowering springs and ball joints for the front. Going to get rid of the cut springs.

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2011 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good!
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2011 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a small update. I'm planning to get some side scoops this winter along with mounting and pluming an intercooler. I also found a Sunbird gauge set and plan on installing the tach with boost gauge in a 120mph gauge cluster. I have an oil leak to fix and some lowering springs and ball joints for the front suspension then the car should be "done". I have a ton of stuff to do to the Indy too.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fixed the oil leak, did a tune up. The engine runs much better now. I still have suspension and brake work to do on the car. I need to take the exhaust back off and change it a bit too. I also want to plumb in a charge air cooler, just have to find one that fits and figure out how to mount it. I was thinking about using a charge air cooler from a newer model BMW. They are only about 8" tall but are around 40" long. I could mount it under the car above the cradle I'm just not sure that's the best location for it.

Forgot to add that I did get the Sunbird tach mounted in the 120mph Fiero gauge cluster. It looks good in there and the boost gauge is "functional". It's not accurate but cool seeing it work.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 03-14-2012).]

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

Day I got the Air/fuel gauge hooked up and the firewall pass through switched over and snapped into place. I still don't have the speedometer working but that's for another day. I need to find schematics for it. My muffler came in today too so I'll get that installed later this week.
How about a picture?

Thats a really good looking car you have there! Nice swap, fits in with the current times = downsize displacement and boost it. Love it! I have always wanted to do this very swap.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT Road Racer. 1st documented 3.4TDC swap- built in 1994. 5MT Isuzu, Quaife prototype LSD, HT Tubular A-arms, Fully poly & Heim jointed suspension, Custom 3 way adjustible sway bars, HT Bump Steer kit, Koin's, 320# springs, GA brakes, ZEX N20 and more! Under full restoration.
Toyota Tacoma Double cab Prerunner SR5
KTM 250SX

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2012 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drove the car some the other day. It's nice not having oil leaking everywhere and having the car run smooth the entire drive. I still have a bit of smoke out of the exhaust after a hard acceleration with boost after letting off. I'm thinking the turbo has a seal going bad. Hopefully I'll have time to rebuild it, if not I'll replace it with a new turbo. I'm also hoping to get time to install my suspension parts and Fieroguru brake kit!
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2012 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Broke down and purchased a new turbo. I'll replace it as soon as the new one get's here and install my brakes/suspension parts.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spent some time yesterday replacing the turbo with a turbo from a Turbo Grand Prix. This turbo is bigger than the turbo that was on the car. I also ran some new hose to the PCV valve and hooked it up to the correct hole on the valve cover. Now all of my smoking is gone! Also all my leaks are fixed! Now to install all the brake/suspension parts I've acquired and find some way to run an inter-cooler.

Here's a picture of the new turbo before I installed it. Direct from Garrett, no china brand here.
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Daaaang brand new turbo. How's it drive? That car looks like it would be so much fun!
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2012 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drives good. Plenty of power. I've put 70 miles on it with the new turbo and the gas gauge has hardly moved.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2012 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed all my parts Friday. Rodney Dickman 1" front lowering ball joints, Fiero Store front 1" lowering springs, Rodney Dickman zero lash end links front and rear, Fieroguru 13" brakes on all 4 corners and Fieroguru rear lateral link relocation kit. The car rides a ton better now that I don't have the cut springs up front. I need to adjust the rear coil overs up a turn or 2 to level the car out and I still need to hook up and adjust the parking brake. I also have a larger brake booster on the way which I will install when it comes in.

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2012 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroMaster88

7680 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Forgot to mention I turned the boost up to 10-11psi. Car feels much quicker than the 4.9 did now. I'm also bidding on a side mount intercooler from a Mitsubishi Eclipse on Ebay that I think will work great for what I want to do.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2012 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, that looks gooood.
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2012 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should really, really consider chargecooling (w2a) over a2a. Mid engine cars are begging to be w2a! Seriously. You can get what you need at frozenboost.com. Or check with Whodeanie, he has a few w2a parts that we can use on my build.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2012 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll check that site out. W2A is the way I'll probably go.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2012 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
w2a is 4x more efficient than a2a so you don't have to go overboard on the size of the intercooler or heat exchanger.

Something like this would be a good start. Do upgrade the pump to the Bosch Cobra pump though, its a $69 upgrade. (this is their sister site)

http://www.siliconeintakes....d11823e383e2736eaf14
bamman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bammanSend a Private Message to bammanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Long ago while still working at a Pontiac dealership in Halifax and when the Fiero and Sunbird were new on the lot , I thought why not that engine in that car. GM missed again. With gas at $1.45 a litre (4.5 litre's in a US gallon) it still seems like they missed the boat. But with my toy, I will keep my sound, torque, and the oh, " you have a Cadillac V8 in that small car "!!!!
!
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bamman:
With gas at $1.45 a litre (4.5 litre's in a US gallon) it still seems like they missed the boat.
!

3.79 liters in a US gallon. there are 4.55 liters in a British Imperial gallon, like was used in canada long ago.

http://www.sciencemadesimpl...olume_conversion.php

How about a picture?

i like that hood vent. did you just cut out the hood in that shape? do you have any other pictures?

thanx
jon

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

w2a is 4x more efficient than a2a so you don't have to go overboard on the size of the intercooler or heat exchanger.

Something like this would be a good start. Do upgrade the pump to the Bosch Cobra pump though, its a $69 upgrade. (this is their sister site)

http://www.siliconeintakes....d11823e383e2736eaf14

That's the one I'm going to order. I could mount the radiator and fan behind the side scoop on the drivers side.

Yes, the hole in the hood is just the half moon section above the radiator cut out and wire mesh glued in place.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful car and I love this swap!
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

Beautiful car and I love this swap!

Thanks! I've had the car a long time. 12 years now. This is the most fun to drive its ever been.
wmorse

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wmorseSend a Private Message to wmorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Formula is looking great! I love that brake setup, what's up with your lug nuts though?
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some are chrome, some are factory without caps so it looks like they are not there.

I'm on vacation with my wife in Townsend, Tn this week. Driving through the Smoky Mountains National Park makes me miss my car. It would be fun to drive it around in the mountains.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 04-12-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Installed my bigger brake booster today. What a difference it makes. I also fixed a coolant leak and exhaust leak today. I still need to do an alignment. I'll probably do that next week.
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks awesome!!! Did you do just the rotor upgrade and kept the stock calipers off the 88 or upgrade those too? I'm fixing to upgrade to the bigger master cylinder too myself. Looks like the feedback on the booster is incredible over the stock setup.

------------------

1 of 2: Graphite Grey Pearl 87 GT 5 spd: 2.8L (Best 1/4 mile: 15.57@87mph, 2.0 60ft)
2 of 2: Ferrari Red 88 Formula/4T65EHD: 2000 L67 Motor (Best 1/4 mile: 12.0@118mph, 1.89 60ft w/True Street Radial Tires not Drag Radials!)
New Engine on the Road again! FTW Motorsports style!
312rwhp/332rwtq

My CarDomain Site

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rare87GT:

Looks awesome!!! Did you do just the rotor upgrade and kept the stock calipers off the 88 or upgrade those too? I'm fixing to upgrade to the bigger master cylinder too myself. Looks like the feedback on the booster is incredible over the stock setup.

It's 13" rotors with factory calipers. I have porterfield racing brake pads on the car too. The rotors, pads and larger booster have made a huge difference. It stops a ton better and the brake pedal feels much firmer.

The brake kit is Fieroguru's 13" brake kit for 88 Fiero's. Here's the link to his posting in the mall.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed a wide band air fuel ratio gauge today. I have a friend who can tune this engine for me so once I get an intercooler setup installed were going to see what we can do.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking forward to the w2a build!
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

I am looking forward to the w2a build!

W2A Intercooler kit was ordered today along with a 2.5" piping kit.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2012 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The water to air intercooler kit showed up today. Looks really good quality stuff. Still waiting on the charge pipe kit. Once that comes in I'll be installing everything.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2012 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got back from our trip to Detroit for a Tigers game and the intercooler piping kit was sitting on the front step. Looks like this week I'll be installing everything. I also ordered a bunch of 2.5" exhaust pipe with various mandrel bends and straight pieces and will be redoing the exhaust.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2012 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock