t-top owners by ckrummy
Started on: 10-03-2009 06:06 PM
Replies: 106 (5233 views)
Last post by: Alex4mula on 10-27-2014 12:25 PM
ckrummy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ckrummySend a Private Message to ckrummyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am told that t-tops is the second rarest option, right behind the indy. With numbers right around 3500 origionally made, and 1250 being CJB. My question is whose got them. Post a pic!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car Rummy! Love the look and paint scheme... Cool... Didn't mean to hijack the thread... just like the car

Jeff in Spokane

------------------

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's my NON-CJB 86 -Jason
JohnyGt67

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnyGt67Send a Private Message to JohnyGt67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to impose, but could you tell me what CJB means?

------------------
'84 Sport Coupe (third time's a charm?)

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is mine. 88 coupe, CJB #95. LS376 with a GT clip.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 12-01-2011).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by JohnyGt67:

Sorry to impose, but could you tell me what CJB means?

Its the RPO code for T-Tops in 88. You could order "Factory" TTops in 88. when you selected "CJB" on the order form. (Factory meaning that GM sent the cars out to be modified with TTops, not done at GM)

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 10-03-2009).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 88 Non-CJB (I installed the T-tops myself)

ckrummy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ckrummySend a Private Message to ckrummyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CJB means factory installed in 88 cars only. Mine is a non-cjb, i installed them myself (thanks a lot j-scott for the write up).
Songman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had two CJBs that have now gone on to new homes. I have an 86 non-CJB now. And I have cut the roofs off of three that I found in junkyards.

------------------
The 7th Annual California Coast Run
October 9-11, 2009
http://www.fiero-performance.com

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Factory CJB T-Tops

Fiero-in-Paradise

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88GT w/ non-CJB T-tops

[This message has been edited by Fiero-in-Paradise (edited 10-04-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1988 coupe -- non-CJB.
bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87 Coupe 2.8/5 sp with SE rear bumper, wing, & trim; Camaro dash; Bonneville door panels; Mr Mikes seats; Allen Lindsey tail lights; 17" wheels

Jim

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ckrummy:
My question is whose got them.

I have an black 88 GT CBJ T topped Fiero. All original, 98k miles, automatic.
Someone was doing a T Top registry and I believe it is pretty well documented. Anyone have a link ?
Fiero-in-Paradise

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Link with info all the registries:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/076649.html
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a link to my T-Top thread, '87 SE V6 5 spd. Getrag. very rare combination, it was fitted by the dealership prior to delivery, nearly factory. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/074248.html
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many people forget that the T top was available since 1984. It was made a approved Dealer installed option. The dealer just did what GM did and send the cars out to a Approved Cars & Concepts installer to have the roof put on. If GM did not approve of it they would hace voided any warranties.

The dealers would then stick a second window sticker on with the added price of the tops. The parts are all the same just the gasket are a little different to make doing them on the line a one step deal vs two steps.

So there is a lot more T tops out there than just the 1988 cars.

The other thing many don't know or care to recall is that many of the cars prior to 1988 were done at Cars & Concepts just as the claimed factory cars. So other than the RPO code there is not reall that much that makes a pre 88 and 1988 car that much different.

I have been told by past owners of C & C that there may upto 8,000+ T top Fiero's built.

Fact is they are not hard to find if you really want one. Common no but not hard to find.
rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

I like the look and stance of this car, I have been thinking about adding the same front combination with a wrap around spoiler, with lower rocker panel skirt, before painting.

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

So other than the RPO code there is not reall that much that makes a pre 88 and 1988 car that much different.

Gotta love the 'factory' cars though. Take the Y82 RPO off an an Indy Pace Car and you just have an 84SE with pretty seats and decals too. The RPO code does make a difference, especially at sale time.
My experience has been that the little weatherstrip difference between a CJB and a non-CJB makes a difference in wind noise. Maybe it has just been on the cars that I have owned but the CJB cars I have owned seemed a lot tighter and quieter than the non-CJB I have now.

------------------
The 7th Annual California Coast Run
October 9-11, 2009
http://www.fiero-performance.com

ckrummy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ckrummySend a Private Message to ckrummyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:

Gotta love the 'factory' cars though. Take the Y82 RPO off an an Indy Pace Car and you just have an 84SE with pretty seats and decals too. The RPO code does make a difference, especially at sale time.
My experience has been that the little weatherstrip difference between a CJB and a non-CJB makes a difference in wind noise. Maybe it has just been on the cars that I have owned but the CJB cars I have owned seemed a lot tighter and quieter than the non-CJB I have now.

There made exactly the same by the same people if i remember right, Mine and jscotts are a little unique because we put them in ourselves. I'll admit my fitment is a little off, but its still a solid fit and feel.
PFF
System Bot
Hop

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HopSend a Private Message to HopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta: Here is mine. 88 coupe, CJB #95. 3.4 DOHC swap, GT rear clip, one day it will be all green. Rob

Rob,
How are you able to determine your car is #95 or may I ask how do I obtain that information for my Fiero?
Thanks,
Bill
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hop:

Rob,
How are you able to determine your car is #95 or may I ask how do I obtain that information for my Fiero?
Thanks,
Bill

Thats exactly what I was wondering also. I have seen people post what number CJB car they have and I wonder what # mine is. I have an 88GT CJB car. I will post up pictures one of these days when I get a few things repainted on it.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.fierottop.com/registry/

type in your VIN and it tells you the date sent to C&C, number built and some other stuff. I have not been on it in a while.

Rob
Hop

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HopSend a Private Message to HopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta: http://www.fierottop.com/registry/

type in your VIN and it tells you the date sent to C&C, number built and some other stuff. I have not been on it in a while.

Rob

Rob,
The site is alive and well and worked great! Thanks for the information.
Bill
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ckrummy:

There made exactly the same by the same people if i remember right, Mine and jscotts are a little unique because we put them in ourselves. I'll admit my fitment is a little off, but its still a solid fit and feel.

All true... But that little extra flap of weatherstrip on the outside of the window, at least seems to, make a world of difference.
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TM_Fiero:

Factory CJB T-Tops

If you weren't all the way in Alaska I'd come steal----errrrr, detail your car for free.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2009 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rourke_87_T-Top:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

I like the look and stance of this car, I have been thinking about adding the same front combination with a wrap around spoiler, with lower rocker panel skirt, before painting.
[/QUOTE]

It did have a wrap around spoiler and a Indy style roof scoop up until last week, when I took it off. -Jason

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2009 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All true... But that little extra flap of weatherstrip on the outside of the window, at least seems to, make a world of difference.

I didn't even know that strip existed until I saw it on another car at a show. I need to make one of those one of these days.
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2009 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was told by the builder of these two cars that my Gold/White prototype car was one of if not the first T-top road cars but can not proove it. RIck B

[This message has been edited by SuperchargedV6 (edited 10-07-2009).]

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2009 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I didn't even know that strip existed until I saw it on another car at a show. I need to make one of those one of these days.

I've got an extra set of t-tops here but they are not CJB. It probably wouldn't be all that hard to recreate the strip if you had one to copy.
PFF
System Bot
TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2009 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol, well the car actually isn't in Alaska. It's closer to you than me. But I don't think I should tell you anymore....

Thanks BTW, I miss driving it.

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

If you weren't all the way in Alaska I'd come steal----errrrr, detail your car for free.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The differance of the T top and indy options are apples and oranges. The Indy cars were never sold for 7-8 years as a dealer installed option. The T tops were. Note the last factory kit was installed around the early 90's at C & C in MI a few years after the Fiero was done. I think the guy who owns it post here. It was done while he was at the Fiero Nationals were held in Pontiac.

bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My son has an 85 GT T-top and interestingly, it has CJB seals. One of the members in our club just bought an Enterra (rebody done in Vancouver Canada and sold as complete cars, 35 or so built). It has T-tops, but they look quite different then the C&C. The tops do not have glass and appear to be made of fiberglass. The center bar appears to be wider than C&C. The guy who bought the car was told that few Enterras had T-tops.
Jim
rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is already a hot topic, I had been thinking about suggesting a thread specific to T-Tops. I agree about the apples and oranges, I have original documentation for the '87 install, as this was the option available at the time my car was delivered. The RPO code is only signifigant if it is an '88.
rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rourke_87_T-Top

1347 posts
Member since Jan 2009
Does anyone have any information on the kit number ? or are they all the same ? here is my warranty card with kit number 087265
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Point is.... The RPO code is a valuable thing. Obviously no one is going to try to get any trade in value on a Fiero. But if you did, we all know the dealers go by what is 'factory' on the car - meaning that is has an RPO. Aftermarket accessories, even C&C installed T-tops, don't figure well into the value of the car. Since the Fiero is 20+ years old, then it will most likely be private sales only so you will do a little better. Personally, I will always give more for a CJB car than a non-CJB. And, as I mentioned, the CJB weatherstrip handles wind noise and water a little better than a non-CJB.

And, in the context that I was speaking of, the CJB/Y82 comparison is not apples and oranges. You guys are trying to make it about one car or the other being better. I am simply stating that the RPO code does make it different. Lots of people are putting their own T-tops in, just like lots of people are making fake Indys. The RPO code lets you know that it one of the 'factory' cars. How are you going to know a non-CJB was done at C&C since so many home built ones are coming out? You aren't. But if it has CJB, you know it was done by C&C.

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 10-06-2009).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The RPO Code is only important to someone who really cares. The average buyer who wants T tops could care less if it has a RPO or not when the sum of the parts are the same. Now if there was something really different, rare or in demand the RPO might make a differance but for most just 3 letters on a option fade or lost RPO sticker means little on a car worth $3,000.

Now if it was a numbers matching COPO Camaro with a Aluminum 427 that would make a difference.

Private installs are out there but in the big picture they are only a small number of all of the T tops made. The non 88 dealer installs were all done with paper work that is most often still with most of these cars. Also the early kits were done to the same or better standards than the 1988. In my case mine was done by the local C&C shop buy one C&C tech who spent two days doing the conversion. He did a hell of a good job as in 25 years I still have yet to ever get even a drip of water in the car.

As for the pace cars they are much harder to reproduct right since you can't buy the parts [Seats and interior trim] in good condition unless you trash a already good car. There is no profit in that so few people do that anyway. The money it would take to build a good fake would be more than what you could ever get out of it.

The bottom line is if were were talking Shelbys or Yenkos Copo cars the CJB would really make a differance. But with the value of the Fiero where it is and where it will remain for a good while there is little that would make most pay extra for 3 letters when all they wantis a Fiero with a T top.

If it make one feel better to pay extra more power to them.

The fact is there is strength in numbers and if we stopped worring about CJB or non CJB and combine the number of cars out there with the need for replacment parts someone may take it up. But if you just push the 1988 numbers they will laugh you off unless you want to pay big money. Even with all the kits combined it is a tough sell to get the gaskets made.

The more scary part is the broken glass. How many of us remove the top with a death grip. You drop a top you are hose unless you can find a used one that often will prove to be scratched. There are some NOS ones out there but they are rare and I figure they will soon be as valuable as the gaskets or more.

What will we do if we drop tops and have no glass to replace it. I suspect one could take some SMC and make a solid roof replacment to fit in?

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Private installs are out there but in the big picture they are only a small number of all of the T tops made.

I gotta agree with Songman on this one... If I throw a rock in my yard I got a 50/50 chance of hitting a CJB t-top versus a home installed T-top. No matter how good my skills, I think the buyer would appreciate the CJB a little better.

And if I had a nickel for every person that told me they installed their own T-tops I would have at least one nickel.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001

The more scary part is the broken glass. How many of us remove the top with a death grip. You drop a top you are hose unless you can find a used one that often will prove to be scratched. There are some NOS ones out there but they are rare and I figure they will soon be as valuable as the gaskets or more.

What will we do if we drop tops and have no glass to replace it. I suspect one could take some SMC and make a solid roof replacment to fit in?

This I agree with 1000% I mentioned the death grip to another t-top owner and he knew exactly what I was talking about. Every t-top owner should have a spare set, (if they can afford it).
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock