Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Making Sail Panels (A pictorial, caution dial up) (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Making Sail Panels (A pictorial, caution dial up) by pokeyfiero
Started on: 07-23-2008 03:43 AM
Replies: 173 (14702 views)
Last post by: pokeyfiero on 03-07-2017 10:13 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Read the owner's manual?
IP: Logged
pokeyfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So spoke with PG&E(our power company) And they need to send an engineer down to see what it will take.

The guy on the phone said it could cost upwards of ten grand for a pole,transformer and new drop plus the new panels on my end.

Then enters the county permit department. OMG!
Talking to an old timer electrician he has said I could use two lines I already have plus a generator through a 3 phase converter to run everything. I'm looking into that also.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How we doing? Any other word on these?
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump with great expectations... and fingers crossed
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
an ANYTHING bump?
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this was suggested before, but the diesel generator is probably the CHEAPEST way to go..

I worked for many years in the wireless world, and we had dozens of 25kw diesels that ran native 3-phase.. Find yourself a friend that's still in wireless and borrow a genny, or just rent one for a weekend or so..

The rental companies sell 'em off after so many hours, and although they're used, for the volume you'd be using them, it might be cheaper to buy a surplus one.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pokey.... I'VE GOT A CRACK GENERATING.... I need those new scoops...!!!!!
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friendly bump...
Brimmy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2010 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrimmySend a Private Message to BrimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP !!!!!!
Any info on the latest ???

17Car

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2010 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You sir, are crazy. (in a good way)
Good luck with the project!
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

So spoke with PG&E(our power company) And they need to send an engineer down to see what it will take.

The guy on the phone said it could cost upwards of ten grand for a pole,transformer and new drop plus the new panels on my end.

Then enters the county permit department. OMG!
Talking to an old timer electrician he has said I could use two lines I already have plus a generator through a 3 phase converter to run everything. I'm looking into that also.

Look into the payment plan before you consider the installation of 3phase? They make you pay even if you don't use the power. Something about "standby" power if I remember correctly?

PFF
System Bot
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2010 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey pokeyfiero. Just checkin in. Have you had a chance to get the machine up and running? what a great new product for the Fiero.
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2010 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i am in for a set for sure if produced !! mine are fine on my 88 but new is better!!
I am sure there is time and money invested in this but a for sure pay off if things work out, i would say just about eveyone with a fastback will buy a set regardless how nice the ones on there car are great work guys !!!
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Pokey I need these bad. I've read both threads from start to finish waiting with baited breath. I'm finally going to be painting my Fiero and I want to put these new panels on it!
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

reinhart

1091 posts
Member since Mar 2002
btw, go with the generator. You'll probably be doing runs of 50-100 so you can just rent or borrow a generator for a weekend a few times a year.
dsnover

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yet another bump, as I prepare my 87 GT to live again, and the 88 moves into the shop area. Two sets please......I was a 'maybe', now a 'definite'. pokey, you doing OK?
bristowb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bristowbSend a Private Message to bristowbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got mine painted. Waiting..... I hope that everything is OK. Pokey you are doing us a Great deed by trying to make thease.
Brimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrimmySend a Private Message to BrimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
POKEY ---

We all hope you are doing okay. We are all awaiting or anticipating I should say; the status of your awesomeness project of producing quarter windows for the fastback.

You have us all sitting on the edge of our seats waiting for your success.

Catch you later. Brimmy
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bumpity-bump.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little bump... any news at all?
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My turn to ask... Hey Pokey, I hope everything is alright? Any news?

... Has anyone heard from him?
PFF
System Bot
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Pokey, remember me?

You felt it was fine to threaten me - but that's OK, I'm right here at home and I'd love for you to come visit me. Bring it on and find out how far that'll take you. Really; I'm waiting.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2012 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what has become of this new vendor that was supposed to be taking over the process? What did you end up doing with the vacuum machine you purchased?

I don't understand how you can put so much money into the R&D and fixed expensive up-front costs and then say the production costs are prohibitive. The per unit production cost (variable cost) is likely $10-20 a window. Since you already paid the thousands of dollars for the molds and production equipment I don't understand why you wouldn't make a run of 100 or so.

If you have no plans to go forward, why not offer the molds for sale? The alternative is to just use them as paperweights.
benoitmalenfant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for benoitmalenfantSend a Private Message to benoitmalenfantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP!

Just a CRAZY thought that maybe, just maybe, something new could be up in the never-ending 'Exact replacement GT Windows' saga.

I don't think Pokey has posted since the beginning of the year, anybody knows if everything is OK with him?

------------------
Ben
87 GT
84 Indy #1863

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could be wrong, but I think they'r paperweights over at West Coast Fiero now. Let's hope it won't be a bmwguru saga.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would not expect to see any exact replacement sail panels anytime soon. Several people have tried and failed but one guy Chris Cook makes a very good replacement and is stil making them 15 years later. Except for the contour that is a little different than on the OEM windows, Chris windows are top notch.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

So what has become of this new vendor that was supposed to be taking over the process? What did you end up doing with the vacuum machine you purchased?

I don't understand how you can put so much money into the R&D and fixed expensive up-front costs and then say the production costs are prohibitive. The per unit production cost (variable cost) is likely $10-20 a window. Since you already paid the thousands of dollars for the molds and production equipment I don't understand why you wouldn't make a run of 100 or so.

If you have no plans to go forward, why not offer the molds for sale? The alternative is to just use them as paperweights.

Wow. I have not been here in awhile.

I still have the equipment.
I may trade it to a company in the area in exchange for a few hundred pulls. Depends on other things.
I also have a half built shop(25'x50') I wanted to set it up in at my home. I have other projectsa in mind i'd like to do and that would be great. I could judt use a large surplus generator.

The vendor has not done much with them. There has been a little progress but still less than I had already done. I believe they may have tested a couple of panels. Not sure.
I do know that the printing has not been worked out. I had it done before but that equipment is not around now.
So actually we have gone from ready to turn them out to testing stage again.

The costs of pulling panels is not' likely 20 bucks'.You have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry.
Doing a hundred sets is very expensive compared to doing 1000. Even 5000 isn't optimal and that is about the minimum done without short run charges.

I may very well offer them for sale. I almost did a few months back but after discussion decided to wait a couple weeks . It's been a minute since then. So I might.

Biggest problem is money is harder to make these days. So in other words I work harder and longer to make money.
Just my efforts in real estate in the last year has gained 300 G in equity on two properties plus relative positive monthly income and now working on third.
What that does is make my time more valuable.
I could fund the project but it just doesn't make sense for me.

So when I say prohibitive it isn't just about how much I can make on the sail panel project. It is also about how much more I make elsewhere by not doing it.
That renders the R and D costs irrelevant and wholly insignificant.

Still I have been thinking about doing something with it just not sure what.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pokeyfiero

16189 posts
Member since Dec 2003

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

I could be wrong, but I think they'r paperweights over at West Coast Fiero now. Let's hope it won't be a bmwguru saga.

Hey Max!

Yeah I would say they are about ten grand paperweights.

I have no idea what a bmwguru saga is but there is no strife involved if that's what that means.

bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Max!

Yeah I would say they are about ten grand paperweights.

I have no idea what a bmwguru saga is but there is no strife involved if that's what that means.

He is referring to this.....

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089925.html

It all worked out in the end and WCF lost me as a customer because I will never deal with them again because of their complete lack of professionalism.

Dave

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any update?
PFF
System Bot
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

Any update?

Nothing good,

I have talked to them several times with similar responses. It really isn't a priority for them and it isn't like they are going to make anyone any money.

I have had it on my mind to drive down there and get them but it is a 12 hour round trip that doesn't excite me.

The whole purpose in sending there was his buddy would do small runs for a good price but favors are like old soup cans. They sit on the back shelf forever.

This project started with three main guys.
The printer,evil genius Fabrication guy and me.
I'm the only one alive and that could have gone either way several times in the last few years.

I guess I shouldn't have taken them down there.

Maybe I can find someone coming up this way that could transport them.

SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a shame and you have gone to the 9 yard line. I hate to see it go by the way side and you give up. Also are you saying Chris is sitting on the molds?? Rick
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just scheduled a courier to pick them up tomorrow so I should recieve them on Sat.

I will get the ball rolling slowly here as I have time.
I will either sell them as is or get it set up for production again and turn it over to someone that is interested in the hassles of it.

I'm not going to be the third guy to die doing this project, that is for damn sure.
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just scheduled a courier to pick them up tomorrow so I should recieve them on Sat.

I will either sell them as is or get it set up for production again and turn it over to someone that is interested in the hassles of it.

I'm not going to be the third guy to die doing this project, that is for damn sure.

Glad to see you are not giving up on this project.This is the exact reason why I haven't givin up on making new center console skeletons yet.

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am happy to see that you still have ownership of the dye's/molds. You spent a lot of time on this project, and should get to see it pay off. As you said, they will not make anyone rich, but you will sell them as fast as you make them, and having a cash cow, even a small one, can be really nice. There is such a need for good quarter windows, and I can only hope that you or someone else can bring them the rest of the way to market.
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with you there john -i would definately buy 2 sets -1 set to replace the ones on my car and 1 set on the shelf as a just in case
Jon m
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I also need a set.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you have them back in your possession now? I have tried the other "after market" window options, with bad results I, and just about every other Fastback Fiero Owner are wanting a good option for our quarter windows.

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Do you have them back in your possession now? I have tried the other "after market" window options, with bad results I, and just about every other Fastback Fiero Owner are wanting a good option for our quarter windows.

That's a big Fat no.

I called ahead and spoke with a fellow. He had said he knew what I was talking about and we even discussed if he could help wrap them in something protective.

But.... Apparently he did not really know what was up because the molds were not even in the shop. They are in the thermal molders shop somewhere in LA.

I could not have my Courrier running around LA pilling a trailer for them so that was that.

I pick up equipment and such from Fontana and Barstow often so next time I'll try and have my ducks lined up better.
I should have made arrangements earlier it would have worked out better but I only called literally the day before my fault.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock